• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get from Madrid to Lourdes

DanfromSydney

DanfromSydney
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 (Frances); 2017 from Lourdes to Santiago
Hola pilgrims
I'm heading back to the Camino in late August

I'm walking from Lourdes to SdC

It's difficult from Sydney to determine how to get from Madrid to Lourdes.

A search for a hire car suggests it will cost 1100 pounds!!! Ridiculous

Does anyone know if there is an inter-national flight? I can't find any via searches here in Australia

i'd be interested in your thoughts

Buen Camino

Dan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You must be reading my mind because I was going to post the same question as I may walk from Lourdes to SDC this fall. You can get a bus from Madrid Airport to St Jean Pied de Port France. Here is the link/info: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...na.23395/ Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port

I tried that rome2rio website, it wasn't very helpful as least from the Madrid to Lourdes Segment. The Bus to St Jean will get you about 160km/100 miles from Lourdes so you can take a taxi from there. rome2rio make have some info on that segment. I will keep checking back to this forum to see what others say/suggest. If there a no options from St Jean to Lourdes, I may just stick my thumb out and hitch-hike. So that is another option if you'd like.

Good luck.
Buen Camino.

Mark

You must be reading my mind because I was going to post the same question as I may walk from Lourdes to SDC this fall. You can get a bus from Madrid Airport to St Jean Pied de Port France. Here is the link/info: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-compendium-of-useful-links-for-travel-from-madrid-to-roncesvalles-and-sjpdp-via-pamplona.23395/ Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port

I tried that rome2rio website, it wasn't very helpful as least from the Madrid to Lourdes Segment. The Bus to St Jean will get you about 160km/100 miles from Lourdes so you can take a taxi from there. rome2rio make have some info on that segment. I will keep checking back to this forum to see what others say/suggest. If there a no options from St Jean to Lourdes, I may just stick my thumb out and hitch-hike. So that is another option if you'd like.

Good luck.
Buen Camino.

Mark
Hey thanks Mark .....you can get a cheap flight from Madrid to Toulouse and then a train to Lourdes

I hope to leave Lourdes late August - what is your time frame? And where is home??

Cheers D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Annie....much appreciated
I will read it tonight
thanks

Fly to Toulouse from Madrid and get the train to Lourdes. Allow about 6 hours (max) from Toulouse Airport to Lourdes. Airport Bus to Train Station. But ticket at train station. 2 hours or so to Lourdes. Walk into town Centre.

Thanks Donal - that's exactly what I was thinking. Any suggestions where to stay in Lourdes?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a Compostela pilgrim's bureau in Lourdes. They will receive you warmly -not so many "jacquets" there. See their webpage It is at Boulevard de la Grotte, 16 (that is at the beginning of the street ot the sanctuary, before the long row of shops selling trinkets).
There is an albergue, too.
Buen camino!

Thanks Donal - that's exactly what I was thinking. Any suggestions where to stay in Lourdes?

There are lots of great places in Lourdes to stay. You can do a search for pilgrim accomodations but we simply booked an inexpensive hotel through booking.com - do it ahead of time though, it's a busy place!

There are lots of great places in Lourdes to stay. You can do a search for pilgrim accomodations but we simply booked an inexpensive hotel through booking.com - do it ahead of time though, it's a busy place!
Thanks Annie ~ much appreciated

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a Compostela pilgrim's bureau in Lourdes. They will receive you warmly -not so many "jacquets" there. See their webpage It is at Boulevard de la Grotte, 16 (that is at the beginning of the street ot the sanctuary, before the long row of shops selling trinkets).
There is an albergue, too.
Buen camino!
Thanks Felipe - that's awesome ....I really appreciate it

I hope I am not too late; it looks you are approaching the witching hour: you leave for Lourdes soon. Since I am looking to do the same next month, if you can update me with your progress, that would be great. You don't have to go into every detail, unless you want. A list of dos, don'ts and tips will suffice. Good luck & Buen Camino.

Mark

Hola pilgrims
I'm heading back to the Camino in late August

I'm walking from Lourdes to SdC

It's difficult from Sydney to determine how to get from Madrid to Lourdes.

A search for a hire car suggests it will cost 1100 pounds!!! Ridiculous

Does anyone know if there is an inter-national flight? I can't find any via searches here in Australia

i'd be interested in your thoughts

Buen Camino

Dan

Renfe train from Madrid to Irun/Hendaye.

SNCF train from Hendaye to Lourdes. This will involve transfers at either of Bayonne or Dax, and some trains at Pau.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back