• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get from Madrid to St Jean-Pied-du-Port?

Kaiso

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
I'm in the planning stages of a trip to Spain. The intention is to fly into Barcelona, visit that city and a few others, ending up in Madrid. (Approx. 15 days) From there I'd hoped to travel to St Jean-Pied-du-Port to walk the Camino. I'm not sure what the best way to get there and how long it might take? I hope to land in Spain at the end of April. Nothing is set and my dates can be fluid. Suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm in the planning stages of a trip to Spain. The intention is to fly into Barcelona, visit that city and a few others, ending up in Madrid. (Approx. 15 days) From there I'd hoped to travel to St Jean-Pied-du-Port to walk the Camino. I'm not sure what the best way to get there and how long it might take? I hope to land in Spain at the end of April. Nothing is set and my dates can be fluid. Suggestions and advice would be appreciated.
You could get a flight to Pamplona and then go by bus

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can get a one way fare from Boston to Barcelona on April 1 for $176. New low cost airline Level is affiliated with Iberia and flies between Boston and Barcelona. It may pay for you to get into Boston. See flylevel.com

I would probably train from Madrid. Then I would take street bus #9 between the train and bus stations and take ALSA/CONDA bus to SJPdP.

Doing some rough checking I found that flying Level for Boston-Barcelona-Buenos Aires is cheaper than other ways to get to Argentina.

This current thread may help too: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpdp-from-philadelphia.60892/

There are many ways (train, bus, flight) from Madrid to Pamplona; both cities are well connected.
From Pamplona to SJPP, check ALSA buses. Apparently leaving Pamplona at 14:30 and 17:30, takes 1:45 to SJPP:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a Camino from Madrid. Why not walk that one? Despite what your researches may have revealed so far there is no such thing as “the” Camino. There is “the” Camino Frances but it is only one of myriad routes. If you are minded to walk that route, starting in StJdP, that small town in southern France, rather than Pamplona, an historic town in northern Spain, then the logistics are challenging but surmountable. And easily sorted with 15 minutes on www.rome2rio.com.
Happy planning and Buen Camino

I highly recommend for your first Camino you walk the Frances. There's nothing like it overall, especially for a first timer. From Madrid I always take the ALSA bus all the way to Saint Jean. Easy and inexpensive.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a Camino from Madrid. Why not walk that one? Despite what your researches may have revealed so far there is no such thing as “the” Camino. There is “the” Camino Frances but it is only one of myriad routes. If you are minded to walk that route, starting in StJdP, that small town in southern France, rather than Pamplona, an historic town in northern Spain, then the logistics are challenging but surmountable. And easily sorted with 15 minutes on www.rome2rio.com.
Happy planning and Buen Camino

I originally wanted to do the Camino from Seville but decided it would require to much time. I then looked at Madrid, but decided against it for other reasons. Starting from Pamplona would be an option. Has anyone started from there? What would I lose if I did?

There is a 7:30AM flight from Madrid to Biaritz France on Iberia Air. Then a short train ride to SJPD or take a van. Last year one way was around $75 US

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I originally wanted to do the Camino from Seville but decided it would require to much time. I then looked at Madrid, but decided against it for other reasons. Starting from Pamplona would be an option. Has anyone started from there? What would I lose if I did?
If you read the stats (and someone can put in exact figures here) I think about half the people who walk into Santiago start in Sarria, and the others start progressively along the Camino. So lots of people do start in other towns, Pamplona, Burgos Leon etc.
Personally I like crossing the Pyrenees, from one country to another as it makes for a dramatic start, but for my next one I will start in Leon. Im sure all the people who started in different places enjoyed their Camino just as much.

Last edited:
Starting from Pamplona would be great. Many pilgrims do just that. You would not lose out on the experience of walking the Frances at all.

Last question about travel. When the walk is completed. What is the usual method of travel out for non-EU citizens? I'm assuming pilgrims need to get themselves to a major city with an international airport?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does really depend upon where you are trying to get back foo, but as a start you can fly to Madrid. Check out Flight Scanner

I had a most expensive lesson trying to figure this out AFTER i had set other plans in stone. My advice: figure out the bus schedule from madrid to pamplona, then from pamplona to st jean before anything else, then work around those dates to get to madrid. Had i done it that way i would have not had to spend $300 usd on a plane from madrid to pamplona in order to make connections in time.

Take the fast train to Pamplona & the bus to St Jean.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A few options. I flew to Madrid, took a train from Madrid to Pamplona (or you can take a bus) and then a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP (you can take a bus or shuttle instead of the taxis to save $).

1. Getting to Pamplona and St Jean Pied de Port from Madrid:

a. Fly to Madrid Airport:

b. Shuttle Bus To Train Station: Take the Airport Express Bus from terminal 1 to Puerto De Atocha Train Station. The bus runs every 30 minutes and only has 2 stops after it leaves the airport, Plaza de Cibeles, and Atocha Station (15-30 minutes, 5 €). (A taxi would cost 30 Euros).

c. Train to Pamplona: Take the train from Madrid to Pamplona (Rail Europe / Alvia Train / Renfe) (3 hours, 50-100 €, buy your ticket online in advance to ensure seating).

d. Taxi From Pamplona to SJPP: Take a taxi from the Pamplona train station to SJPP (1 hour, $130 €). I found a few other people at the train station with back packs and we shared the taxi fare. (There are also other bus and shuttle options from Pamplona)

(There is also a bus to Pamplona from Avienda de America Bus Station in Madrid for less € but it takes 5 hours and you need to take a taxi from the train to the bus station. You would take a CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP, OR, take ARTIEDA bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles and a local taxi from Roncesvalles to St JPP.)

2. Coming home from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid:

a. One time I took a flight back to Madrid (if you know your dates and can book in advance it can be relatively cheap - but no change options)

b. One time I took the train for about 90€, booked it only one day in advance. It was very nice to view the interior Spain scenery (4-5 hours).

Have a great trip.

Last edited:
I too landed in Madrid. Took the train to Pamplona, then a taxi to SJPP. Was going to take the bus, but it was leaving much later, and two other pilgrims were standing at the bus stop when we arrived. The 4 of us flagged down a taxi, for the same cost as the bus. A great way to see the countryside and preview of your days to come.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too landed in Madrid. Took the train to Pamplona, then a taxi to SJPP. Was going to take the bus, but it was leaving much later, and two other pilgrims were standing at the bus stop when we arrived. The 4 of us flagged down a taxi, for the same cost as the bus. A great way to see the countryside and preview of your days to come.
I live in Alicante and on 28th May I am flying to Pamplona via Madrid. Then by bus to StPdP. I beria fly from Madrid to Pamplona and I will catch 14.30 bus

Three Camino’s from SJPdP and my favorite way to there is to take the morning flight to Biarritz and pre-arrange Bourricot transport. I was there by noon and had time to enjoy the town before heading out the next day.

Three Camino’s from SJPdP and my favorite way to there is to take the morning flight to Biarritz and pre-arrange Bourricot transport. I was there by noon and had time to enjoy the town before heading out the next day.

I haven't seen a morning flight to Biarritz- everything has a connection somewhere it seems! Which airline do you fly?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I haven't seen a morning flight to Biarritz- everything has a connection somewhere it seems! Which airline do you fly?
It was Iberia, but it looks like they do not have the direct flight anymore. I recently found other flights that used to be direct now having a connection. Too bad, it was such an easy way to go. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back