• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how to get from pamplona to st.jean

cdoug1946

how to get from pamplona bus station to st. jean. end of aug 2012. thanks. coming in from madrid airport. hear there are many buses to pamplona from airport? then what?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
cdoug1946 said:
hear there are many buses to pamplona from airport? then what?
This question has been answered many times. Check the thread "bus from Pamplona to SJPP" in this Forum's search section. Also check with "Pamplona airport bus" key words.

Hey Bud!
There is a regular municipal bus service from the airport to the city bus station - Best is to search previous threads as there are many for the rest of the info you need.
It depends on your arrival time so it may be advisable to spend a night in a reasonably priced Pension or Hostal and explore Pamplona a little. :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is a regular municipal bus service from the airport to the city bus station
I don't think so. It has been canceled in budget cuts and for the benefit of the taxi drivers. Look around the airport and share a taxi ride with someone else with a backpack. I have done that the last two times successfully.

falcon269 said:
There is a regular municipal bus service from the airport to the city bus station
I don't think so. It has been canceled in budget cuts
True. This happened already 2 years ago. However, you can walk from the airport towards the main road, turn left and walk to a bus shelter near the roundabout. In all some 800 meters.
Take the L3 bus, which goes every 20 or so minutes and you get opposite the Estación de Autobuses in Pamplona center.

I think responders here may have misunderstood the OP's original questions and as a result responses may be confusing.

My understanding is that it is two questions. The second question has to do with bus service from Madrid Airport to the center of Pamplona. (Not Pamplona Airport to central Pamplona as seems to be referred to by some of the responses).

As for Madrid Airport to Pamplona there are several daily buses that leave directly from Madrid's airport to Pamplona without having to go through central Madrid. These have not been discontinued.

The other question: how to get from the center of Pamplona to SJPP:

There is a bus that runs only in summer (thru mid-September) going directly from the bus center in central Pamplona to SJPP. If that is not running or the timetable is not convenient, an alternative is to take the bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. Once reaching Roncesvalles there are usually taxis awaiting arrival of that bus to take people onward to SJPP. It is not necessary to prearrange this, as there are other people getting off the Roncesvalles bus who likewise will want to go to SJPP and will share the cost. The taxi ride should run about 10 euro per person, assuming a full taxi.

Hope I got that right and didn't just add to any confusion! Cdoug, maybe you can comment further, particularly as to which airport you refer to in the last part of your post.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
falcon269 said:
I don't think so. It has been canceled in budget cuts and for the benefit of the taxi drivers. Look around the airport and share a taxi ride with someone else with a backpack. I have done that the last two times successfully.
Oops! Thanx for putting things straight Falcon..just shows you how long ago I did that trip.......... :oops: .someone give me a paper towel to wipe all this egg off my face.
I shall steer well clear of suggesting the midnight train from Madrid to Pamplona ......... Howerever, may I say that last year I went all the way from Madrid airport to the center of the city , only to find that the bus stopped at the Madrid Airport on the way to Pamplona.

I have just checked the Alsa website and the buses from Pamplona to St Jean De Pied De Porte certainly go to at least until 31 October, every day, dep Pamplona at 14.00 and 17.30 and travel time is 1hr 45 mins. Fare is 10 euro + 2.54 admin costs. Suggest you go to http://www.alsa.es and click on International before entering the dep and arr points.
For the other bus services from Madrid (center or airport) go to the alsa website as above and the default is domestic services.
Trains from Madrid city to Pamplona dep at 07.35, 10.35 and 19.35 and take 3h 05mins. Fare is 78 euros.

from Pamplona to St Jean De Pied De Porte certainly go to at least until 31 October
The ALSA website indicates that the buses will run only until September 30, 2012.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a bus from the Pamplona bus station to St. Jean daily at 2:00 p.m. Started June 1 and runs until sometime in the Fall. Just go to the Pamplona bus station and at the ticket counter you can buy your ticket, if I remember correctly it's around $10.00 Euro. Buen Camino

I think that would be Avitar as an alternative to ALSA. It does not go to SJPdP. After August, the service drops to one a day at 1800 just four days a week.:
Pamplona Estación de Autobuses
(Jaurrieta-Pamplona) 10:00 Roncesvalles 11:10 LMXJVS ATIVAR, S.L. 6.00 €
Pamplona Estación de Autobuses
(Jaurrieta-Pamplona) 18:00 Roncesvalles 19:10 LMXJ ATIVAR, S.L. 6.00 €

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The link to Conda is circular back to ALSA, which markets its tickets! The news release is from June 13, 2011. Another bus has been added at 1730. Last year the service ended on September 11. This year both buses will operate until September 30.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back