• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get on train at Bayonne?!

Steve Goods

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Im in a hurry from Biarritz airport (flying with Ryanair, Stansted London) and need to take a cab to Bayonne train station to be able to get on the 18:05 train to St Jean PDP.
- buy train ticket in advance?
- easy to find the SPDPD train inside the station?

Im leaving tomorrow for my first el Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My understanding is that while you can pay for a ticket in advance, you have to get the ticket at the station. Note the ticket for TER trains is good for 90 days.

If you are taking a taxi from Biarritz airport ... consider taking the taxi to Gare Biarritz. There is a 1745 - 1755 train from Biarritz to Bayonne. You should be in the taxi by 1730 to have any chance of making this timing.

Note the train passes through Cambo les Bains at 1834.

If your timings are tight (ie you are on 1700 arrival time) My advice is to plan on staying in Bayonne and catch the 0745 train to SJPdP in the morning. It arrives 0843 and allows plenty of time to get to Roncesvalles. Yeah you might catch the 1806 but its a game of minutes that like as not will result in unwarranted stress.

Here is link to SNCF Gare Bayonne where you can go on a virtual tour of the station. That will give you information on how to find the train to SJPdP.

Gare Bayonne
https://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frxby/bayonne

Hi Steve. Not sure you are going to make that connection. I take it you are on the 14:05 ex-Stanstead landing 17:05. You have a scant hour to clear border control, find a cab and make the 20-25 minute run. As @whariwharangi suggests an overnight in Bayonne might be a less stressful option. What you save on the cab you can spend on a hostel. There's a place right opposite the station that many have recommended.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Steve, I will be in the same situation in about 3 weeks. I will try to take the 18:06 train, if I miss it I will take the late train at 21:10. I think it is better to start early in the morning from SJPD.

Hi Steve, I will be in the same situation in about 3 weeks. I will try to take the 18:06 train, if I miss it I will take the late train at 21:10. I think it is better to start early in the morning from SJPD.
Unfortunatelly Steve doesn't have that option because last train tomorrow leaves at 18:06. Might check your exact departure day to be sure there really is 21:10 train. Suerte!

Unfortunatelly Steve doesn't have that option because last train tomorrow leaves at 18:06. Might check your exact departure day to be sure there really is 21:10 train. Suerte!

It seems that the 21:10 train runs only on Friday. I will arrive on Friday 28th.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you get the SNCF app you can have a virtual ticket on your phone. But those timings are tight. Third the suggestion of an overnight stop. Or walk the Norte :)

That sounds like a very tight schedule! :eek:

It seems you can't get an e-ticket on the voyage-sncf website for a ticket to SJPdP: when I try it, it only shows a buy-online/print-it-at-the-station option. Which is not helpful in your case...
I don't know Biarritz's station, but I wouldn't believe it's big.
I know for sure Bayonne's is not: it's easy to find your way. There are monitors in the entrance hall (huge one above your head, small ones when going to the platforms) and on the platforms. Note that for the small ones, blue is for departures, green for arrivals. Stairs and tunnels to access the different platforms.
Like @whariwharangi pointed, there is a train from Biarritz to Bayonne leaving at 1745. If you manage to get to Biarritz's station on time, you can buy an ticket from Biarritz to SJPdP at once. There will be a change of trains in Bayonne and 10min to do it.
Whatever your choice, you can buy your ticket from a person at a counter or from a TER machine (blue ones, I think there are also in English. Yellow ones are not the ones you want, they're for inter-national tickets). First option can be trouble if the person doesn't speak English; second one too because it's a machine (always a bit stressful whenone is not used to it...)

Like said before, why not take your time? Bayonne and SJPdP are nice places to visit :) Bayonne tomorrow night and SJPdP on Thursday, smooth departure on friday ;)
In case, here are some addresses for pilgrim's accommodations in Bayonne (because on one of the French Caminos) (don't know if they're updated!):
http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.11.Aqu.Lit_PA_heb.htm

full

Or take the cab to VILLEFRANQUE train station, which is the first stop for the train, arrive at 18:20 I think it was.
VILLEFRANQUE is about 25-30 minutes from airport, almost same time as Bayonne train station.

Thanks for all suggestions. I figured it out when Im there.
I will look for backpackers, Im sure there is more ppl arriving with the same plane.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, good luck :) I've been on that flight too and took the very last train to St Jean - too late for an albergue so had to stay in hotel.
Now I just spend the night in Bayonne and take first train to St Jean in the morning, stressfree evening, a nice meal, a night's rest and a good, easy start to the Camino, imo.

Well, good luck :) I've been on that flight too and took the very last train to St Jean - too late for an albergue so had to stay in hotel.
Now I just spend the night in Bayonne and take first train to St Jean in the morning, stressfree evening, a nice meal, a night's rest and a good, easy start to the Camino, imo.
When was that? This time of year?

No, it was in July and there was a last train. Honestly I would spend the night in Bayonne but that's just my opinion, for what it is worth. I hope others can add their comments?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, the Ryan Air flight was on time arriving at 17:10 to Biarritz. I made a seat reservation in the plane (row 2) so I was out of plan and through pass control in 7 minutes.
I asked in the service center if there was a train, she told me a bus (line 14 just outside terminal) would leave at 17:22 for Bayonne station which would take me to STJPDP. So I went on the bus thinking I had plenty or time. I asked on the bus when we would arrive and they told me 20 minutes.
38 minutes later we arrived at Bayonne station ... 18:06 and the train just left one minute before I was inside the station.
I met a another el camino traveller on the bus, and we took in at Hotel de Gare. 40 euro for a cold and drafty hostel quality single room.
Biarritz this time of year of mid October, a Wednesday evening didn't impress me.
But tomorrow I'm on my way with the 7:45 train to STJPDP ;-)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I manged to get the 18:06 train, I landed a bit late at 17:15 and I was out of the airport at around 17:25. I took a taxi and in 25 minutes I was in Bayonne station . The taxi costed me 30 euro.
The train ticket machine is not so easy, many screens with different questions (age, railcard, ... ) .

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back