• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to Aire sur le Adour?

amancio

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Hola!

I am currently studying my first incursion into France, for a week or so, in the Via Podiensis.

I thought Aire sur le Adour would be a good starting point. Anybody has any suggestion about how to get there best? I was thinking about taking the train to Irun, then try to find some combination to make it to Aire sur le Adour.

Good news is, it does NOT HAVE to be Aire sur le Adour, I could also consider other similar nearby starting points if they are easier to reach from Spain.

Thanks for your help!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, Falcon! The only problem seems to be I might have only 10 minutes to change from train to bus in Pau... the TArbes option gives me more time, but only on Fridays. Not the easiest place to reach! Would there be another place that is easier to reach from Hendaye?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is no easy way to get to Aire sur l'Adour from anywhere, following the closure of the railway line Agen-Pau many years ago. I did it in reverse with a bus to Mont de Marsan and (just timed to miss the connection) a two-hour wait for a train to Bordeaux and then to Bordeaux airport.

No direct flights from Granada, but several daily from Madrid. There are 5 trains from Bordeaux (roughly every 3 hours) and a bus to Aire sur l'adour meets the trains arriving at 11.45 and 16.45.

I can't really recommend getting to any part of the Le Puy route from Hendaye. What about flying to Toulouse from Madrid and taking a train to Moissac or Cahors? Or, one of the nicest towns on that route, Figeac?

There is a direct train to Toulouse from Hendaye, but it takes 5h 15m.

There is also an ALSA bus from Irun to Toulouse twice a day, which takes 4h 15m and is probably cheaper.

thanks a million, Glenshiro, this opens lots of new possibilities! My problem is, time is limited, so I will take three buses, underground, 1 train, 3 km on foot to cross the border, another train to Saint Jean de Luz, then share a blablacar to Mont de Marsan, and then a bus to Aire sur le Adour.

That would be a total of 8 connections, but I am looking forward to living pilgrimage in France, a completely new experience for me! And also a true challenge for a Spaniard who its at unexpected times and finds bars all over the place and is not used to having to book places in advance!

Sounds like an adventure. Buses seem to be quicker between Granada and Madrid and Madrid - Hendaye. And ALSA buses go all the way to Hendaye, via San Sebastian.

Good luck and bon chemin!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is the least enjoyable part of the Le Puy route in our experience. We took 3 years to get to St. Jean. First, Le Puy to Figeac, then Figeac to Aire, and last, Aire to St. Jean. Lots of big farms from Aire on, not nearly as interesting as the earlier two sections. When we went to Aire for the last segment, I remember it being a really grueling trip, landing in Bordeaux and I think train and bus to Aire. If you are flexible about where you want to start, maybe think about starting somewhere along the Arles route- Oloron St. Marie or similar.

I don't know where you are starting in Spain, but do use Rome2rio.com to check your various travel options. I took a quick look for Madrid to Aire, and it looks like best choices are thru Pau https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Madrid/Aire-sur-lAdour

uhmmm... that is another option, certainly! Arles route might be interesting too, thanks Backpack45SCB

My problem is I live in Granada (a blessing of a problem, really!) so connections are not particularly easy to say the least...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@amancio , I can only echo what others have said above.

After Moissac facilities thin out significantly. I did enjoy my trip on the second half of the journey from Le Puy to Saint-Jean. And the day from Aire-sur-l'Adour was as good as any other. A particular aspect enjoyable for me was walking through "bush" (as it is called in my neck of the world - very mixed sub-trpoical rain forest) like stands on the day after Aire.

But transport to Aire? As others have suggested, why not try a start from Moissac, accessible from Bordeaux and Toulose?

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

When you say you walked in early Spring when did you start? I am planning to walk from Seville next year and my current thoughts are to start at the end of February - any thoughts.

Simon
Kia Ora, Simon! Love the bush myself, indeed! Moissac would be a great choice, but that would require two weeks and I am afraid I cannot squeeze that in at the moment, that is why I want to have my first experience in France for 6 days or so (Aire sur le Adour to SJPP and then to Pamplona). At the end of the day, I might be able to make it using this kafkaesque combination

1 bus to Granada
1 tramway trip to bus station
1 overnight bus to Madrid
1 underground to train Station in Madrid
1 train to Irun
3 km on foot to Hendaye station
1 more train to Saint Jean de Luz
1 blablacar shared car trip to Mont de Marsans
1 bus to Aire sur le Adour

that is 23 hours of a trip, hope not to miss any connection!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back