• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to Ferrol on Saturday night...

amancio

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Hola amigos (Ivar and Johnie Walker, this is particularly for you, I guess)

I am landing in Santiago on Saturday at 20:25. Is there any way to make it to Ferrol that night or Sunday first thing in the morning to start the Inglés? I have seen Santiago-A Coruña connections are reasonable enough so I can spend the night in A Coruña, I guess, then take a bus to Ferrol on Sunday morning.

Any suggestions?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I saw that, thanks, Ivar, so I am now studying staying overnight in Coruña, then taking a bus from Coruña to Ferrol on Sunday morning, but in that case I would have to start walking at 11 or so, not the best time of the day to head for Pontedeume, so I might start from Neda, I guess...
IT is a bummer always having such tight schedules and so few days...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Amancio
I arrived in A Coruna on the 20.15 flight from London and caught the half hourly bus from the airport to the bus station. The airport bus does not stop at the bus station but on the main road opposite the bus station, from there it was a very short walk to a very nice hostel for the night. You could walk through a pretty park from this hostel (which is on booking.com) in ten minutes to catch the regular early bus to Ferrol the next morning.

You should note that the walk from the beautiful Ferrol bus stop to the start of the Camino is quite a long walk through busy streets, opposite the starting marker you will find the Information office where they have very friendly English speaking staff. They will give you an updated map of Ferrol with the amended Camino route clearly marked.

You should also note that the Johnny Walker book does not mention that the route immediately out from the first marker through the narrow street is closed; you need to come out and walk along the busy road round the bay full of industrial machinery and roaring traffic.

After three hours of walking in the blazing hot sun on a hard road I took a bus to Pontedueme losing the kilometers for a real 100km walk for getting the paper Certificate, but it made up time for the late start from Ferrol.

On another aside I took a very early hour long sight seeing trip with a taxi who took me on a circular journey to see A Coruna and its beautiful bay, worth the experience. you can pm me if you need any more information.

Joe

Gracias, amigo Joe!

It looks like we will stay overnight in Santiago, then take the 9:15 bus to Ferrol and get off at Fene or Neda by 10 or so, where we will start walking. We will miss Ferrol and the first 12/15 km, but this is the compromise we will have to take, I am afraid...

I just hope there are not too massive crowds, I heard about 30 pilgrims in Sigueiro having problems to find accomodation a few days ago, gloops!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
see you when you get here Amancio!

To answer Joe's point - when you start off from the first marker the road ahead of you has been closed temporarily - it may have been opened by now! Just take the first Right then the the first Left and you will come back on to the route.

John

We found that some of the bars were shut on Sunday. If relying on one for breakfast it might be worth having some sort of emergency rations. The cafe-bar Hermida, about 3kms from Narón was the first one we found open. A lovely friendly lady served us coffee (and gave us a little booklet and pencil).
NB: This was 3 years ago, but bar folk do deserve a late start or a day off, so I would still expect some to be closed at least early on. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back