• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to Le Puy

Peronel

Title says it all. I'll be travelling from the UK.

Also important, how do I get back? I have three weeks to walk so will be heading home from, ummm, somewhere west of Le Puy and east of SJPDP. How does that work, exactly?

Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fly or train to Lyon, train to Le Puy. There are returning trains from Aumont-Aubrac, near Decazeville, Moissac (I think), Figeac, and Dax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! Found out my leave request had been approved moments before posting this. Le Puy to SdC is three stages: June, October, then April next year. Ohhh my!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I walked three weeks starting in Le Puy, I was at Cahors, which is a biggish town with excellent rail connections to Paris. If you make good time, Moissac has good connections also. Getting to Le Puy, that train from Lyon makes a change at Saint-Ettiene.

Yes Moissac has train service. Much depends on the distances you're covering each day, but you'll likely have good options. After about 10 days of hiking you'll be able to target your departure point with some accuracy, and if finances allow you can always taxi to a town with train service as quite a few French hikers do. Bus service, on the other hand, doesn't reach many of the towns you pass through.

Bill

I'm a strong hiker, so I'm tentatively thinking Moissac. Professor google suggests train from Moissac to Toulouse airport would be my best bet? Does that seem reasonable?

Yes, the taxi option makes sense. Hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have a good look at the train options from UK to le puy and from moissac. Might cost the same time and costs (if you include travelling to and from airports) and, depending on your personal preference, much more relaxed and environment friendly.
http://voyages-sncf.com

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back