• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to Ostabat from Biarritz

Thornley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
Could anyone help on public transport to Ostabat.

We intend to start there and have a few short days before the pass and onwards.
Any assistance appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thornley said:
Could anyone help on public transport to Ostabat.

We intend to start there and have a few short days before the pass and onwards.
Any assistance appreciated.

Thornley,

I do not know the answer to your question, but probably the route would be via St Palais.

However, here is a link to the Ferme Gaineko Etxea in Ostabat which may be able to refer you to the correct public transport. >> http://www.ostabat-compostelle.fr/accueil.htm. You can email them directly from their site. They offer overnight accommodation and meals to hikers and pilgrims.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Ostabat is 21 km, one day from SJPDP. if you want to walk 3 days till SJPDP I suggest you start at Navarenx .
How many days or km you wish to walk till SJPDP?
You can start fro St palais that has a train station which I am not sure if connected to Biarits. (to Pau for sure)
I suggest you ask your questions in the Le Puy forum.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thornley,

You can get to St Palais from Dax. Dax is on the Paris - Hendaye TGV line. From Dax take a TER local train. See this web site for the TER routes in Aquitaine. >> http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/aquitai ... fault.aspx. Once in St Palais you could then walk to Ostabat, as zammy suggests, or perhaps take a taxi.

Good luck,

Margaret Meredith

Looks like St Palais and then walk to Ostabat.
Have walked the GR65 Zammy , just loved Ostabat and some people there.
We said we would return when next heading to Santiago / Muxia.
The planes from Oz connect with Biarritz and its an easy few days walk before we are into Spain and Honto to shed the jet lag.
Just a little variance to everyone starting in the same spot.
Thanks Marg will look at those regional lines and their times of departure.

Thanks Margaret and Zammy,

There are 8 trains before 1pm from Biarritz to Dax , a duration of 30 minutes.
We will stay there a night , get rid of the cobwebs and next morning get the 11 am train to St Palais.
Will stay a night or two also as we never took this diversion when on the Le Puy route .This village is highly recommended in MMDD.

Recommendation appreciated,
David

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Zammy,

Following the last post we have found that there is a bus from Biarritz/Bayonne to St. Palais.

Leaves @ 1.30pm or 6.40pm and takes 40 minutes.
Will do this and walk to Ostabat from St. Palais before over the mountain.

Thanks for your help,
David

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back