Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to oviedo

ron mmmm

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone,
I land in Madrid with my friend
we prefer to avoid another flight because its expensive
so what is the best (time and comfort) way to Ovideo, the train or the bus?
and is it necessary to book it in advance?

thanks,
ron

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are some buses direct from the airport to Oviedo so you wouldn't need to change transport in downtown Madrid.

Right now, time is more or less the same in bus and in train. Once the high speed line to León is opened, train might be quicker than bus.

I prefer train over bus from a comfort point of view but maybe that's just a matter of preferences.

Bus is cheaper than the train.

To book in advance is a good idea if you want to get the cheapest fares available.

For me it was a matter of the time I arrived and the time I wanted to arrive in Oviedo. It made more sense to take the subway to the South Station and catch a bus from there. I had time to buy a sandwhich and bottle of water at the bus station and off I went, for under 10€!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Would you consider taking the bus to Leon and then going on foot to Oviedo - the San Salvador is one of my favourite caminos!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Renfe provides train service from Madrid Chamartin to Oviedo.

Chamartin is reached from airport T1-T2-T3 and T4 by Metro and from T4 by Cercanias train.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

ALSA provides bus service from Madrid to Oviedo. Buses depart from either Madrid Airport T4, Estacion Sur, or Moncloa. Estacion Sur can be reached from Airport by Metro or Cercanias via station Mendez Alvaro. Moncloa can be reached from Airport by Metro.

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en/

It is not necessary to book in advance. The worst case is you wait for the next train or bus. Advantage of booking ahead is sometimes there are savings and you don't have to stress about long line ups for tickets with so little time.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back