• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to Roncesvalles

Time of past OR future Camino
(2020)
Hi everyone!

I'm planning on walking Camino Frances in May of this year!
This is my first time ever going on this big of an adventure, so therefore i have quite an important question to ask all of you who have experienced this amazing journey.
My plan is starting in Roncesvalles (instead of in France), but my question is, what is the easiest way to get there?
I was planning on flying to Pamplona, but then i'm not sure how i will get to Roncesvalles from there.
But what would you all suggest? What is - in your opinion - the easiest way to get to Roncesvalles?

Kind regards
Lasse

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lasse, you can take a bus from Pamplona to St Jean Pied de Port, which stops at Roncesvalles. Pilgrims get on and off at Roncesvalles. You can order tickets on line from ALSA or at the Pamplona bus station. The cost for one way trip from Pamplona to St Jean is around 20 euros per person. Buen Camino! Bob

... You can order tickets on line from ALSA or at the Pamplona bus station. The cost for one way trip from Pamplona to St Jean is around 20 euros per person. Buen Camino! Bob

The website of the bus company Autocares Artieda, not ALSA, states that you can't order their tickets online or by phone and that the cost for a one way trip Pamplona>Roncesvalles is 4,75 euros / passenger and 6 euros for a bike.
Source: http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles
BC SY

Hi Lasse, Welcome. I'm doing my first camino this year as well. If you have the time to spare, it's usually cheaper to fly into Madrid instead of Pamplona, as it's a more major hub. Then you can take a direct train from Madrid to Pamplona. I'm going in April, and in my case, direct flights to Pamplona were $800+, and a flight to Madrid and train to Pamplona was $550. Worth the savings in my opinion. Plus on a train, you get more chance to talk to people and see the countryside.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Interesting. I have flown twice from the US to Pamplona because it was the same or just slightly more than flying to Madrid. The Iberia flight actually stopped in Madrid where I changed planes for Pamplona. So I would suggest comparing prices for various transport options. In Pamplona, you can take a bus to Roncevalles or share a taxi.

Since I did my French Camino in February, I did not want to start in Saint Jean and go over the Pyrenees in the winter on the first day. So I took high speed rail from Madrid to Pamplona. I stayed in Pamplona right off the Plaza Virgin at Hotel Eslava in a private room for 38 Euros and got a good night sleep for the jet lag. Nice little hotel friendly helpful owner. Room was a bit small but I did not care - I was finally in Spain!
The bus to Roncesvalles leaves only once each day - it was 3 pm when I took it. There is no rest room on the small bus and it took a little over an hour to get to Roncesvalles. Check the bus schedule at Rome2Rio.com.
Have a great Camino Lasse!
PS Go to Cafe Iruna --Hemmingway's favorite cafe about 6 blocks from hotel. Very Victorian and grand!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back