• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to Sarria

scottleo

Hi, I posted a couple of topics before and the answers you gave me helped a lot!

My girlfriend also plans to walk the camino.
But we go there individually. :'( which is sad thing.
My girlfriend needs help now.
she will stay in Barcelona for 3days, and after that she is planning to walk Camino.
She will start her walking in Sarria. But she doesn't know how to get Sarria from Barcelona. :'(
i suggested her to go Santiago by Airplane and take a bus to Sarria. but im not sure this is the best way . I've already searched ALSA but i couldn't find any bus going to Sarria from Santiago.
Do you know any way to solve this problem?

I NEED YOUR ADVICE

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
we travelled by train from barcalona to sarria in early june. as we booked on the web a few weeks in advance we got 1st class sleeper for the two of us for very much reduced rate. the train leaves about 10pm and gets into sarria around 8.45am. you should try it. a bus ride accross spain like that would be a killer..

scottleo said:
Hi, I posted a couple of topics before and the answers you gave me helped a lot!

My girlfriend also plans to walk the camino.
But we go there individually. :'( which is sad thing.
My girlfriend needs help now.
she will stay in Barcelona for 3days, and after that she is planning to walk Camino.
She will start her walking in Sarria. But she doesn't know how to get Sarria from Barcelona. :'(
i suggested her to go Santiago by Airplane and take a bus to Sarria. but im not sure this is the best way . I've already searched ALSA but i couldn't find any bus going to Sarria from Santiago.
Do you know any way to solve this problem?

I NEED YOUR ADVICE

Hello,

Best way to arrive in Sarria from Santiago is, going to Lugo and fron there to Sarria.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

Javier Martin said:
Hello,

Best way to arrive in Sarria from Santiago is, going to Lugo and fron there to Sarria.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

I am glad I found this thread. My daughter and her friend are joining me in Sarria. So I now have the same situation.
Does the bus go right from the airport to Lugo or must you go to Santiago first?
Or..is there a transport service that will pick you up at the airport and drive you to Sarria? That could be athe best solution., if such a thing is available.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rita, check http://www.monobus.es which is the bus company that goes from Santiago to Sarria. There is a bus Mon-Fri leaving Santiago at 18.00 and arriving at Sarria at 21.00.Hope to see you! Anne

annakappa said:
Rita, check http://www.monobus.es which is the bus company that goes from Santiago to Sarria. There is a bus Mon-Fri leaving Santiago at 18.00 and arriving at Sarria at 21.00.Hope to see you! Anne

Thanks Anne
I already have checked several bus lines. Unfortunately the girls arrive on Sunday...seems there is limilted to nonexistant buses running on Sunday. AND they get in at 5:05PM. Even during the week it is difficult to make connections at that time. Sounds crazy since I am sure there are many arriving in Santiago to walk from Sarria. You would think that there would be more service.

I did find out there is a private pick up service. It is the one Ivar runs. http://www.caminotravelcenter.com
170 Euros for up to 6 passengers from Airport to Sarria. Very pricy for just 2 people. I am trying to see if there are others coming in on that flight going to Sarria. Hopefully the service will know if others are arriving and the ride can be shared. But with the time difference between here and Spain I won't have an answer till tomorrow.

We need to get to Triacastela from Santiago at the end of our walk. Is there a direct route or do we have to go via Sarria? we are in Sarria at the moment heading to Santiago! the bus depot here seems to have a bus to Triacastela at 19.00 - not much good if the Santiago bus does not get to Sarria until 2100.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ciao,

I walked on the Camino Frances from Sarria in 2008. I went by plane to Santiago, slept one night in Santiago in a hostal nearby the bus station (did not go downtown!) , by bus to Lugo and there changed to Sarria. got the passport in the sarria cathdral and from there I walked in 5 days to Santiago. buen camino! carolina

Hi Scotello,
Have just done this trip from Santiago!
Empressa Freire coach from Santiago Bus Station (Bay 10) 7h00,9h15, or 11h00 to Lugo -journey time 1hr30 cost 8.25€ (18th Feb) There are afternoon choices too http://www.empresafreire.com/html/caste ... cion3a.htm

Monbus Lugo to Sarria 10h35,12h00 or 12h45 journey time 30 mins cost 3.30€(18th Feb)
We caught the 11h00 from Santiago & the 12.45 from Lugo arriving at Sarria about 13h15.
http://www.monbus.es

We then blew all the savings on a 22€ Taxi ride to Triacastela to rejoin our car rather than wait for the Sarria - Pedrafita (Monbus) service that runs at 18h00 on weekdays and 14h20 on saturdays
Monbus also operate a "direct" service Santiago to Sarria which travels via Monforte but it takes 3hrs & is only once a day, leaving Santiago at 18h00 arriving Sarria at 21h00

Buen Camino!

cete46 said:
Hi Scotello,
Have just done this trip from Santiago!
Empressa Freire coach from Santiago Bus Station (Bay 10) 7h00,9h15, or 11h00 to Lugo -journey time 1hr30 cost 8.25€ (18th Feb) There are afternoon choices too http://www.empresafreire.com/html/caste ... cion3a.htm

Monbus Lugo to Sarria 10h35,12h00 or 12h45 journey time 30 mins cost 3.30€(18th Feb)
We caught the 11h00 from Santiago & the 12.45 from Lugo arriving at Sarria about 13h15.
http://www.monbus.es

We then blew all the savings on a 22€ Taxi ride to Triacastela to rejoin our car rather than wait for the Sarria - Pedrafita (Monbus) service that runs at 18h00 on weekdays and 14h20 on saturdays
Monbus also operate a "direct" service Santiago to Sarria which travels via Monforte but it takes 3hrs & is only once a day, leaving Santiago at 18h00 arriving Sarria at 21h00

Buen Camino!

My wife will be comming into Santiago and meeting me in Sarria on my way from SJPP.
She arrives from Madrid (SpanAir) at 11:50am. There is a 12:45 bus to Lugo. If she was lucky she may make it to the Bus Station before the bus left....but probably not enough time to find a counter and buy a ticket as she has no Spanish.

Does anyone know if the ticket can be purchased at or on the Bus? Does the driver sell tickets?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As far as I can see there are Santiago - Lugo services by Empressa Freire at 17h00; 18h30;21h30 on Sundays
MonBus Lugo to Sarria 18h35; 20h45; 22h30 on Sundays So the girls getting into Santiago at 17h05 should be able to get to the Bus Station in time for the 18h30
Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: How to get to Sarria/Lugo/Tricastle

Hi, My name is Jenn I am traveling to meet up with my daughter in May in Tricastle and having a hard time actually seeing bus routes and schedules. It seems that is Sarria is another good starting point, there would be clear inforamtion. My plan so far is a flight into Madrid, Ryanair flight the following day to Santiago which puts me in Santiago at 5:30pm. I have been hoping to find a way to travel to them that evening stay in the hostel and start my walk with them the following day.

Any information for this part of leg is helpful. I am also curious about proximity of bus station to airport in Santiago.
Jenn

Airport bus from Santiago (Lavacolla) airport to main bus station in Santiago takes about 30 - 40 minutes normally

Getting to Sarria from Madrid????? I am soooo confused! Must I go all the way to Santiago and then back track via bus to Sarria?

The on line train schedules have been quite difficult to decipher. When I plug in my information regarding desired departure (Madrid)/arrival (Sarria) locations I receive a notice that my route requires a change of trains; however, it doesn't seem to indicate where or what the options are.

I leave for Madrid in just 20 days! Getting a bit stressed out over this bit of my travel plans. Suggestions greatly appreciated.
:?
Tess

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Re: How to get to Sarria from Santiago

Are the signs clear about how to arrange for a bus ride during the week in the early evening to Sarria from Santiago. I was planning to travel to Tricastle that evening however it seems like it may be too much, trying to meet up with daughter.

Teresa B. said:
Getting to Sarria from Madrid????? I am soooo confused! Must I go all the way to Santiago and then back track via bus to Sarria?

The on line train schedules have been quite difficult to decipher. When I plug in my information regarding desired departure (Madrid)/arrival (Sarria) locations I receive a notice that my route requires a change of trains; however, it doesn't seem to indicate where or what the options are.

I leave for Madrid in just 20 days! Getting a bit stressed out over this bit of my travel plans. Suggestions greatly appreciated.
:?
Tess
We are planning to go this May 2013. Can you share how you managed the logistics from Madrid to Sarria?
PandK

We took a bus from Madrid to Lugo (I think the company was Elsa), then caught a second bus to Sarria. Our spanish is not very good, and we were a little confused trying to get tickets in Lugo, but there were plenty of other people with packs heading to Sarria for us to follow :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm having the same struggles this morning. I will be arriving in Madrid March 20, 2013 and trying to figure out the simplest way to get on the Camino. I had thought to start in Burgos, but am now wondering if I should just do the last 100 k from Sarria. But getting to Sarria seems a bit more challenging than actually walking the extra distance. I have no time constraints so that does perhaps make a difference. I'll look forward to any info you may have time to post. Buen Camino. :)

I am also planning on beginning my trip in Sarria. Can you please share the name of the bus company that took you from Lugo to Sarria? It does not look like Alsa has that route.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a car meeting me at Santiago airport at 17:00 on Tuesday 7 May 2013 to take me to Sarria - room for up to 3 others if anyone wants to share the cost? If interested please email me at rupert@greenhough.com.au.
cheers
Rupert

My daughter and I are flying in from Australia and have decided to catch a private taxi from Santiago Airport to Sarria on June 30th if anyone is needing to share a lift. We will be walking the camino from Sarria on 1 July. As we are time poor I was worried about missing buses or not being able to get a connecting being peak season. Should you be interested in a lift my email is raythross@yahoo.com.au . We are so excited :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much for all the very helpful information on this forum. I would like help with my plan. I will hike Sarria-Santiago July 22-25th.

I will be in San Sebastian Sunday, July 21st, 2013 - I can't leave earlier than mid-day. I rented a car and thought I could drive to Lugo (about 5.5 hrs - I love driving and it's much cheaper, faster, and flexible than other options) return the car there and take the Monbus Sunday evening. HOWEVER the rental company doesn't have a drop box and isn't open Sundays, so I can't return the car until Monday at 9am. Meaning I couldn't get on the bus down to Sarria until the 10:30 Monbus - arriving at 11:10am and would start hiking then. Is that too late if I want to get to Santiago by July 25th - meaning somewhere between 15-20 miles/day (I'm in shape, love my boots, am packing lightly).

The other option would be to drive to Santiago, where there is a drop box for the rental company, so I can just drop the car off. Then I would get on a bus to Lugo and down to Sarria. This seem like too much trouble.

I am open to transportation options. I can cancel the car. I just didn't find a train or other bus from San Sebastian to Sarria that departed San Sebastian after12noon and arrived on the same day. If I did return the car in Santiago and go with private transportation/a company/ a taxi from Santiago to Sarria - that might be a lot of money, but it might be the best option with my schedule. Otherwise I just start hiking late on July 22nd and do my best.

Any thoughts/feedback welcome.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
leahvive said:
Thank you so much for all the very helpful information on this forum. I would like help with my plan. I will hike Sarria-Santiago July 22-25th.

I will be in San Sebastian Sunday, July 21st, 2013 - I can't leave earlier than mid-day. I rented a car and thought I could drive to Lugo (about 5.5 hrs - I love driving and it's much cheaper, faster, and flexible than other options) return the car there and take the Monbus Sunday evening. HOWEVER the rental company doesn't have a drop box and isn't open Sundays, so I can't return the car until Monday at 9am. Meaning I couldn't get on the bus down to Sarria until the 10:30 Monbus - arriving at 11:10am and would start hiking then. Is that too late if I want to get to Santiago by July 25th - meaning somewhere between 15-20 miles/day (I'm in shape, love my boots, am packing lightly).

The other option would be to drive to Santiago, where there is a drop box for the rental company, so I can just drop the car off. Then I would get on a bus to Lugo and down to Sarria. This seem like too much trouble.

I am open to transportation options. I can cancel the car. I just didn't find a train or other bus from San Sebastian to Sarria that departed San Sebastian after12noon and arrived on the same day. If I did return the car in Santiago and go with private transportation/a company/ a taxi from Santiago to Sarria - that might be a lot of money, but it might be the best option with my schedule. Otherwise I just start hiking late on July 22nd and do my best.

Any thoughts/feedback welcome.

Another transportation option to get to Sarria on Sunday, July 21st. Drive from San Sebastián to Vitoria/Gasteiz (about 100 Km/1 hour's drive). In Vitoria/Gasteiz take the train (14:08) to Monforte de Lemos (20:21):

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html

Then (22:05) take Monbus to Sarria (22:40h) (I do not know if there is a bus earlier).

Regards.

Can anyone help with information on bus service from Santiago airport, arrive 16.00 weekday, to Lugo.
Can you buy a ticket on arrival.

Many thanks

My wife is still looking for someone to share a taxi from the Santiago airport to Sarria on 16 October, probably mid to late afternoon.

Indyinmaine

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back