• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to Sevilla from the United States?

Julio Rivera

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Camino Inglés, Camino Portugués, Camino Primitivo, Camino del Norte, Camino Aragonés
I am planning to do the Via de la Plata starting in Sevilla next year. Does anyone know the best (and fastest) way to get there from the United States? I know that I have to fly into Madrid, I know that there is an AVE train (high-speed train), but is there any flight into Seville? also, how do I coordinate my arrival with the train ride, if that is the way to go? Thank you.
J.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am planning to do the Via de la Plata starting in Sevilla next year. Does anyone know the best (and fastest) way to get there from the United States? I know that I have to fly into Madrid, I know that there is an AVE train (high-speed train), but is there any flight into Seville? also, how do I coordinate my arrival with the train ride, if that is the way to go? Thank you.
J.
It probably depends on where in the US you are flying from.
Our son studied in Sevilla for a year, and I don't remember exactly what his connections were, but he flew into Sevilla. His first flight was from San Francisco.
Check out Google Flights for options.

I flew to Sevilla way back in 2005 on Iberia, JFK - Madrid - Sevilla. All smooth, arrived at around 10 am or so, overnight at Hotel Simon and onward. Suerte.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It probably depends on where in the US you are flying from.
Our son studied in Sevilla for a year, and I don't remember exactly what his connections were, but he flew into Sevilla. His first flight was from San Francisco.
Check out Google Flights for options.
Yes, I am flying from San Francisco

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I flew to Sevilla two years ago to cycle the VDLP. From the East Coast of the US, I flew first to Paris and then caught one one the discount airlines directly to Seville. Considering that I had a night flight from the States, and even with a plane change at CDG, I was in Seville by early afternoon. From the Seville airport, it was an easy bus trip to the center of the city where I was staying at the Albergue Triana Hostel just steps off the Camino.

J.

In 2019 I flew ORD-FRA-SVQ.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you want to coordinate your arrival in MAD with the train, I have found that many flights from the US arrive early in the morning. Therefore there is plenty of time to hop on the metro to Atocha can catch a late morning/early afternoon train to your destination.

It will be interesting to see what flight schedules and routes look like as things begin to eventually settle down.

They probably won't look like they did in the past.
Though demand will no doubt dictate which routes are commercially viable.

Was chatting to my Brother last week, who had a life-long career in Aviation, as did my Father.

Many airlines are now bankrupted.
Dozens, if not hundreds of aircraft (that are not that old) are being broken up for scrap.

He raised the issue that so many pilots, engineers and ground crews have now left the industry to take up other work, that it will be very hard to rebuild the industry as it was.

Pilots and engineers have to maintain a certain work load to remain current and 'licensed'
And of course working a retail checkout or driving a delivery truck for a year or two doesn't really help with that :(

I think we might have a few challenges ahead.

But the Camino will wait for us :)

Last edited:
When I put in a random date in September SFO to SVQ I found flight with one stop in Lisbon on TAP. I don't think that you will have a problem finding flights to Sevilla from San Francisco.
I will probably fly into Lisbon when I do the Via de la Plata Guide in October. I will fly round-trip to Lisbon, and sleep in a hotel by the airport that day. Next morning I will have a one-way flight to Sevilla, And when I finish in Santiago return to Lisbon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
J.
I walked VDLP last March until i stop due to COVID. I flew to Madrid and took a taxi, there are buses available, to the Atocha train station. There are trains to Seville every hour on the hour. I arrived to Seville in time for lunch. Buen camino.

All going well...wife and I will walk the VdlP next April/May. Have booked ATL to MAD with Delta. Will spend a couple of nights in Madrid to get on timezone before training down to Cadiz for a further two nights. Another train to Seville for a further night and after that....we should be well and truly rested and on European time. Of course.....a few planets need to align before all this transpires :)

It will be interesting to see what flight schedules and routes look like as things begin to eventually settle down.

They probably won't look like they did in the past.
Though demand will no doubt dictate which routes are commercially viable.

Was chatting to my Brother last week, who had a life-long career in Aviation, as did my Father.

Many airlines are now bankrupted.
Hundreds, if not thousands of aircraft (that are not that old) are being broken up for scrap.

He raised the issue that so many pilots, engineers and ground crews have now left the industry to take up other work, that it will be very hard to rebuild the industry as it was.

Pilots and engineers have to maintain a certain work load to remain current and 'licensed'
And of course working a retail checkout or driving a delivery truck for a year or two doesn't really help with that :(

I think we might have a few challenges ahead.

But the Camino will wait for us :)
Interesting news on the airlines Robo...I haven't heard yet of any going to the wall...well none that I would think of flying with! You raise a very valid point though on aircrew currency, and I'd love to know how the airlines are handling it. I did watch a YouTube this morning (Sam Chui) and was very surprised to see the activity of some of the middle-eastern airlines. Doha airport departures was humming. Time will tell.....but I'm keeping everything crossed in the hope of some 'normal' (and safe) operations later this year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Easy. This website, linked to below, is fantastic for travel planning/booking.

Check out:

Seems that as of current, cheapest flight from SFO to MAD is at ca. 120 USD. From SFO to Sevilla (SVQ) is about 300 USD. The price difference makes room for a lot of vino tinto... And you can also take train/bus from Madrid. Train would be from the Atosha station downtown Madrid. Easy to navigate location and station. Taking a night in Madrid, buying your train ticket, beforehand, and train next day will give you some joy, jetlag overcoming, as well as a cheaper journey there.

I recommend train: They are super-reliable, on time, and comfortable in Spain, and you can wind down, enjoying the passing landscapes. If you are 60 or older, ask for a Carta Dorada (Gold card) at the ticket office in the train station: It will give you a 25% discount on all train travel in Spain for a full year. You can credit me with 50% of your saved money... ;)

The airport shuttle bus runs from the airport to the Atosha station. Have a room booked nearby. Buy your train ticket upon arrivel at Atosha, enjoy an afternoon/evening tapas meal in Madrid, sleep well in Madrid, and enjoy an early train ride to Seville next morning.

BTW: The Camino VdlP is a lifetime adventure IMHO: One of my fondest Camino memories.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Interesting news on the airlines Robo...I haven't heard yet of any going to the wall...well none that I would think of flying with! You raise a very valid point though on aircrew currency, and I'd love to know how the airlines are handling it. I did watch a YouTube this morning (Sam Chui) and was very surprised to see the activity of some of the middle-eastern airlines. Doha airport departures was humming. Time will tell.....but I'm keeping everything crossed in the hope of some 'normal' (and safe) operations later this year.

Bankrupted Airlines.
FlyBe was a major player.

Flybe (UK)
The involvement of Virgin Atlantic and a consortium of investors was not enough to save the largest independent regional airline in Europe, with 63 aircraft. Plans were sketched to rebrand Flybe as Virgin Connect and act as a feeder, but these never came to fruition. The British government came to the rescue, but this was, understandably, contested by other airlines. I guess public pressure to reduce short haul flying (Flybe’s speciality) didn’t help either. The Coronavirus epidemic has been the last straw.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bankrupted Airlines.
FlyBe was a major player.

Flybe (UK)
The involvement of Virgin Atlantic and a consortium of investors was not enough to save the largest independent regional airline in Europe, with 63 aircraft. Plans were sketched to rebrand Flybe as Virgin Connect and act as a feeder, but these never came to fruition. The British government came to the rescue, but this was, understandably, contested by other airlines. I guess public pressure to reduce short haul flying (Flybe’s speciality) didn’t help either. The Coronavirus epidemic has been the last straw.
Robo...when I read your original post I went into Google and had a bit of a look on the topic. There's been quite a few airlines go to the wall across the world...but generally regional carriers. Fortunately, most of the 'name brands' are still viable through their own emergency management (and some through the backing of their governments). To quote Sam Chui...'strong airlines going into the pandemic will likely come out of lockdown stronger'. I certainly hope that's the case.

Robo...when I read your original post I went into Google and had a bit of a look on the topic. There's been quite a few airlines go to the wall across the world...but generally regional carriers. Fortunately, most of the 'name brands' are still viable through their own emergency management (and some through the backing of their governments). To quote Sam Chui...'strong airlines going into the pandemic will likely come out of lockdown stronger'. I certainly hope that's the case.

Yes I agree. Most of the major brands are being supported.
There was a huge argument in Australia about which airlines should be supported by the Government.
They picked the major one of course. Qantas.
The #2 player went broke.

I suppose the broader long term issue might be capacity? But then demand might be down too.

Who knows?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back