• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to SJPP

mdolbear

Hi,
I am new to the forum (just joined tonight). :)

I am planning to do the camino this year in 2009, and I will be coming from the US. I am either going to be going some time in March or October depending on work. I should know which by the end of January. From the US, the two most convenient places to fly into seem to be Madrid or Barcelona. A couple of questions:

- Is it possible to travel from either of these locations to SJPP by train, or does it take a few trains and a bus ride(s)?
-Of these two locations (Barcelona or Madrid), which will give me the shorter trip?
-How long should I expect "getting there" to take?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me,
Michael

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you'll be flying on Iberia, you can fly to Pamplona and get a shared taxi to St Jean from the bus station.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Michael, consider getting an open jaw ticket. Fly into Paris on your way in, & out of Madrid on your way home. I did this in May 2007 & the ticket cost about the same as flying in & out of the same city. BTW, Air France has $10 (yes $10) flights from Paris Orly to Biarritz (BIQ). Just leave yourself enough time to get from CDG to Orly (& get on the right RER from CDG). Or overnight it in Paris & fly out the next morning.

Kelly

mdolbear said:
-Of these two locations (Barcelona or Madrid), which will give me the shorter trip?

Always Madrid.

By train you can do Madrid-Hendaya-Bayone-SJPP. But most people choose Madrid-Pamplona and then by taxi to SJPP.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Welcome Michael,

Your question is one of the most often asked and easiest answered as you've already noticed.

I am sure you will have many more questions and I'd encourage you to check two threads (1) FAQ and (2) Class of 2009. The first will give you the most accurate info on any number of topics and the second will introduce you to those peregrinos that will be walking the Way with you.

Also, check into the calendar...there you can put you itinerary and see whom will be starting about the same time as you.

Search the other threads and, if you don't find what you're looking for...ask!

Buen Camino

Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I do my Camino I thinking about flying Aer Lingus to London, then catching Ryanair to Biarritz then go by train to SJPP. The air fare is very reasonable even on a one way. Comments?

Good thought Cullen...there are many airlines serving the Way to Santiago and Ryanair is making inroads everywhere, then again;

My favorite site to find airfares is: cheapoair.com

they do a good job.

Tonight airfare from DCA (Ronald Reagan.Wash D.C.) to Madrid and return was as low as $209 and onward to Santiago was $314. This is down from $526 only three days ago.

I can't drive to New York for that price.

Buen get there cheap and drink more vinotinto Camino

Arn

One problem about flying into London is most US-based flights land at Heathrow (or Gatwick), yet Ryanair flies out of Stansted and it is a very expensive bus ride between the two airports, and I found the times not convenient. I actually slept overnight in the Stansted airport to await my early morning flight to Biarittz. Fly into Madrid. Much easier also on the return to get to Madrid from Santiago than Paris (plane, train, or bus) vs. just plane.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there...

I'm a first timer coming in August from Chicago US....I found the cheapest flights into Dublin and then a cheap jump over to Europe. I'm thinking of flying into Bilboa and then the train to St Jean. Any ideas of where some of the cheaper cities to come into are?? Anyone know how many miles between St Jean and Finesterre??

I can't wait!!!!

The bus from Bilbao to Bayonne goes twice a day (at 7.30 and at 1300 hours). The company is named PESA http://www.pesa.net.
If you miss these, there are many ALSA buses from Bilbao to IRUN each day. You can then travel from IRUN to BAYONNE by bus/train and from BAYONNE to SJPP by train. Ticket and bus stop at Termibus by the Hospital Civile de Basuto. 1.hr 50mins €7.
From Hendaye to St Jean by train via Bayonne 3 ½ hours http://www.sncf.com (French Rail)

If you need to spend a night in Bilbao try "Albergue Bilbao" http://albergue.bilbao.net or Hostal Gurea, Bidebarrieta 14, 3rd floor, phone +34 944 163 299. http://www.hostalgureabilbao.com/
For a Pilgrim's Credential stop by the Friends of the Camino office in Bilbao: Asociación De Amigos Del Camino De Santiago De Bilbao - Nicolás Alcorta, 7 - Pza. de Zabalburu

St Jean to Santiago is about 774 km. From Santiago to Finisterre is about 90km = 864km. If you walk alternate routes or detours, you could end up walking close to 900km.

Lorax, your best bet is to take the bus across the Spanish/French border & then the train to Bayonne & on to SJPP. Spanish buses drive over the border all the time; Spanish trains have to wait until a French train comes to pick them up. :) There are many, generally connecting in San Sebastian for the trip across to Hendaye.

Kelly

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just checked the Air France site and the ticket to Biarritz is now 63.00. Just thought I'd let you know.... 33. plus taxes and fees

WolverineDG said:
Michael, consider getting an open jaw ticket. Fly into Paris on your way in, & out of Madrid on your way home. I did this in May 2007 & the ticket cost about the same as flying in & out of the same city. BTW, Air France has $10 (yes $10) flights from Paris Orly to Biarritz (BIQ). Just leave yourself enough time to get from CDG to Orly (& get on the right RER from CDG). Or overnight it in Paris & fly out the next morning.

Kelly

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back