• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how to get to St Jean

Seasidesuzy

Time of past OR future Camino
"2011" Ponferada to Santiago "2013" St Jean to Santiago
I will be traveling from South Africa to Bilbao, to arrive there by midday on the 30th July 2013, and would like to leave for St Jean during the afternoon/evening. What would be the cheapest way to travel and where do I find the information. I have found the bus program from BIlbao to Bayonne, but would like to compare prices and iteneraries.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
there are already several threads on Bilbao to SJPP within the last couple of weeks.

Essentially public transport to SJPP from Bilbao takes time because it is a combination of buses and trains with waits in between.

The bus to Bayonne is the cheapest and most direct way of getting there. I assume you have the Pesa.net web site.

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train/horaires

will give you the train from Bayonne to San Jean.

Hi there,
It has been my experience that traveling between countries is a bit of a headache. The euro may have symbolically unified europe but the transportation links predate this unification. I like to suggest to pilgrims that they think about starting in Ronsvalles. There are a couple of reasons for this; first,the first day over the pass is excrucationly difficult and you're not really ready for the journey. Secondly, there is a lovely pilgrim mass there in the evening, its for pilgrims of all religious bents and is spoken is a number of languages including english.
For me the downside of arriving in spain to begin the journey in france is that you see the landscape first in a bus/train before you travel it on foot.
I believe you should pack lite (7 kilos) and go with an open heart. Sorry about the spelling.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, i m From Lithuania. I m coming to Paris ( beauvais) on June 17. I would like to ask you how can i get to Saint-Jean-de-Port form there? It will be my biggest and first trip, so sorry for asking :)))
Maybe there is a train or bus going straight to the place? But i guess is not so easy ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back