• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to the Camino from the U.S. - Atlanta to SJPDP and Santiago to Atlanta.

isamartinezc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Planned)
Hello!

I am planning to walk El Camino Frances in May 2022. I am having a little trouble figuring out how to get there and come back.
I am considering taking a flight from Atlanta to Barcelona and then taking a train to Pamplona and then a taxi to SJPDP. The problem is that when I arrive to Santiago the train back to Barcelona is a 12hr ride. It seems like a little too long of a ride. Any recommendations of the best possible route? What route do U.S. residents usually take?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I live in England.
I flew from London Stansted to Biarritz. The nearest train station that goes to SJPDP is Bayonne, 6km away. There is a bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne train station, then train from Bayonne to SJPDP.
Then for the return, I took a direct flight from Santiago back to Stansted.

You could fly to London Heathrow, then there's a shuttle bus between Heathrow and Stansted, and on return, shuttle bus Stansted - Heathrow, and LHR - ATL

Out Flight ATL - LHR.... Bus LHR - STN..... Flight STN - BIQ .... Bus BIQ - Bayonne .... Train Bayonne - SJPDP
Rtn Flight SCQ -STN... Bus STN - LHR... Flight LHR - ATL

Hope that helps

The choice of entry points into Europe is argued endlessly. Barcelona is not one of the easier ones, as you are finding. You are better off heading for Madrid or Paris, whatever strikes your fancy. There is a well worn path from either of these two to SJPP. I like Paris personally, but Madrid works too. Ask yourself how much hurry you are in.....you may want to spend a day or two in your gateway city getting over jetlag before getting to the trail head as well. Consider flying home from Porto if the flights work. Its a three hour bus ride from Santiago, and many pilgrims like to spend a few days there, after Camino, before returning to the real world.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello!

I am planning to walk El Camino Frances in May 2022. I am having a little trouble figuring out how to get there and come back.
I am considering taking a flight from Atlanta to Barcelona and then taking a train to Pamplona and then a taxi to SJPDP. The problem is that when I arrive to Santiago the train back to Barcelona is a 12hr ride. It seems like a little too long of a ride. Any recommendations of the best possible route? What route do U.S. residents usually take?

I live in Portland Oregon.
I fly to Madrid, then take a bus to Pamplona.
I spend a couple of days recovering from the flight and touristing in Pamplona.
Then I take a bus or taxi to SJPP.
When I get to Santiago, it's a fast train ride back to Madrid.

What route do U.S. residents usually take?
I don't think there is any usual pattern.

If you want to fly into Barcelona, you can choose an "open jaw" or "multi-city" ticket in which you fly home from Madrid or even Santiago. These fares are not usually much (if at all) more expensive than the regular round trip two-city trips.

We did a multi city booking

Flying Austin to Paris to Biarritz, train to SJPP,

walk-walk-walk,

flight from Santiago to Madrid to Austin.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ve taken several routes from the Eastern US to get me to the Camino. On my first CF, I flew into Paris (CDG), took the train to SJPP via Bayonne. I flew home out of Madrid. I had the options of train or plane from SdC to Madrid. Have done both. On my VDLP Camino, again I flew into Paris and caught a second flight then on to Sevilla. My return was out of Barcelona (mainly because I wanted to spend a couple days there). It was an easy flight from SdC through MAD to Barcelona and not particulate expensive. For other Caminos, I’ve flown in and out of Madrid. So, lots of options should exist for you. We are flying to Madrid in April on American. One of our options was to choose a flight out of Charlotte. Buen Camino!

I'm in South Carolina, I would go to Madrid to Pamplona to SJpp. On hopper Air France is 870.00 and Virgin Atlantic 856.00, the flights are a little high in May for me, Rome to Rio says its about 5 hours from Madrid by plane and bus to SJPP.

I would look at Atlanta to Bordeaux direct on Delta then train from Bordeaux to SJPdP. The return trip is not quite as easy if you plan an open jaw with Delta, however there are flights from A Coruna and Vigo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My daughter and I flew from and back to Atalanta in 17. We flew to Paris as daughter wanted to see the city. We took the trains to st Jean, fairly easy to book and use. From pARIS it was a 8? hour train ride to st Jean, time went fast
in return we took train from Santiago to Madrid then flew direct from Madrid to at,ant. Again train 2as long but it was An enjoyable ride. Took taxi to airport, easy .
We flew delta which at time allowed one free bag international . We put the hiking sticks in that as there was much controversy about taking them as a carry on.
pin finisterra we found a triangular postal box at the post office, pit sticks and checked them at airport, picked up in Atlanta. We weren’t willing to check our backpacks as too much precious stuff”. Sticks can be bought in st Jean easily
i hear d of persons taking a regional flight from Paris to Biarritz or Bayonne’s. I think in the end is what it I. Are willing to pay and time wise are comfortable with. Hassle free is a factor too.
Enjoy your planning

I think hassle free is the prime thing. Check into several of the options. Download Rome2Rio so you can see the train/bus options easily. See what feels easy to you.

From the US I have found it’s significantly cheaper to book round trip and then separately book a one way within Europe if I need to take another flight (like out of SDC back to your main city for flight back to US).

One thing I wish I had done the first time is look at a map of the airport I arrived in. I haven’t been through CDG but Madrid’s airport is huge and I was jetlagged, exhausted, and overwhelmed. Familiarizing myself with the airport ahead of time would have saved me a lot of grief.

I'm flying from El Paso, but have found that it is easier to fly through Madrid. My first Camino, I used the bus to get to beginning and from end point. This coming summer, I will be using the train to Pamplona, then Ryanair from Santiago to Madrid.

You have tons of better options than I do, since you are close to a major hub.

Ruth

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have flown back from Santiago to Madrid 3 times and once I took the train. Twice the flight was cheaper and once the flight was almost exactly the same price. I have long legs and the train had seats facing each other. Ugggg. The flight was an hour. The airport in Santiago is a piece of cake to navigate. You can take the Metro back into Madrid for a few Euros. Keep checking flight prices they fluctuate quite a bit. I always find Iberia has the cheapest flights.

Hello!

I would suggest flying.. ;-)
We've always found it easier to fly into Paris and train to SJPDP. and leave via Madrid. It works for us out of the DC area.

I follow the philosophy of spend less, go more often. Normally, I think nothing of taking 3 flights to get where I want to go. This, however, is different. You're planning to do something very physical at the start. Take the least amount of planes as possible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One thing I wish I had done the first time is look at a map of the airport I arrived in. I haven’t been through CDG but Madrid’s airport is huge and I was jetlagged, exhausted, and overwhelmed. Familiarizing myself with the airport ahead of time would have saved me a lot of grief.
Google has Streetview on the inside of Barajas airport. Other airports as well.

Some have commented on it above, in part or comletely. But the most direct way to get from ATL to SJPdP is to:

1. Fly ATL to CDG (Paris Charles de Gaulle) - should be nonstop.

2. Drill down on this link (below) to determine the best way for YOU to get from CDG to Gare Montparnasse:

3. Reserve and take a TGV from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne. This link is my search using Wednesday 21 April as a token date:

4. From Bayonne, transfer to the TER route 62 local train to ride up into the Pyrenees. The last stop on the TER line is Saint Jean Pied de Port. Here is my search on SNCF, using the same information as above, but changing the destination from Bayonne to SJPdP:

You can clearly see that the arrival times at SJPdP are much better. Some folks find that if they travel from CDG to Bayonne - via Bordeaux, they have to overnight at Bayonne and take the first train the next morning to SJPdP. Besides, the bus ride to Gare Montparnasse gives you a nice tour of parts of Paris.

Typically, you arrive at SJPdP around dinner time. Check-in to your pre-reserved lodging. Hopefully, you planned to spend two nights there. The night of arrival and one more. I highly recommend it.

The following day - after arrival - visit the Pilgrim Office ay #39 Rue de la Citadelle, to check in, get a current conditions briefing and obtain your REALLY cool credencial and pilgrim shell. Here, they have the plain scallop shells that come from the various restaurants in town - from making Coquilles Saint Jacques.

Once you leave SJPdP, most all the shells will have come from China, and have the standard stenciled Santiago Cross on them. IMHO, the most "authentic scallop shells come from the Pilgrim Office at SJPdP.

BTW - "Monasp" on the forum is the manager of the SJPdP Pilgrim Office at #39 Rue de la Citadelle. I believe she will answer SJPdP specific questions you might have.

Here is the Pilgrim Office web site: https://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/?lang=en

Spend the rest of the day, obtaining last minute supplies, souvenirs, etc. Contact Express Bourricot at: https://www.expressbourricot.com/ Their office is next to the Pilgrim Office at #37. They can provide a number of valuable services, including:

1. Taking you to the top of the first day's climb, the first 10km head start, if you are unable to walk the rather steep climb out of SJPdP. You still have to walk about 17 km to Roncesvalles, but the worst bit on the first day is that first 8 - 10 km.

2. Moving your mochila over the mountains to Roncesvalles if you are going to use the Correos or another rucksack . mochila delivery service to move your rucksack on your Camino.

3. Taking one piece of luggage - think roll-aboard size suitcase - with your tourist clothing and things you will not need for the next month - hair dryers, shaving gear, tourist clothes, souvenirs you bought at SJPdP, directly to safe storage at Albergue / Hostal LaSalle at Santiago. If you share the space in one bag with another person, it is a bargain. Even solo, it is a very good service, reliable and secure service. I have used it several times to excellent effect.

NOTE: The mail services from France into Spain are still considered international - the EU interoperability concept has not percolated down to his service. So, try not to post anything, including a mochila, until you get into Spain. This works coming from Portugal as well.

Hope this helps.

Tom

My first Camino, I flew from ATL to Madrid, bus to Pamplona then taxi.
Return was a very cheap and quick flight from Santiago to Madrid.

My second Camino, I flew non-stop from Charlotte to Madrid, round trip. Same arrangements to SJPP and then back from Santiago.

This was easy both ways.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello!

I have done 3 trips on the Camino Frances. I always flew into Barcelona, train to Pamplona (note you have to get to the train station in Barcelona but it is not too far and once I just walked it). Once in Pamplona, the taxis going to SJPD are right at the train station and usually there are others wanting to share a taxi with you.
I have never gone through Baritz so I don’t know how that compares.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back