• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to the Santiago airport at 4 am?

Claudia A

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago 2016
Hello,

We wonder if there are any news about how to get to the Santiago airport early in the morning? We only found information that was 4-6 years old.

Is the albergue near the airport still in operation? What's it called?

Is there an earlier bus going to the airport?

Taxi and fees?

Really grateful for all help!

Regards, Stefan & Claudia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you stay at a hotel they will help arrange a Taxi. The bus I am not sure of their hours but you can walk to the station easily & ask. You can also find a taxi easily the day before & ask one of the drivers for a phone# They are all use to the multitudes of pilgrims who share your need. Once you arrive in Santiago you will find city maps everywhere. The cost I am not sure of since I walked to the train station, after returning from Finnesterre. But I did ask a taxi driver about how To get to the bus & airport when deciding how to get back to Madrid.

Last edited:
Buses from Santiago, only from 6:00 to 24.00 hs.
So, only taxis. Reserve at your hotel.
Upon the airport webpage, the tariff is 21 euros -but it will be higher by night. Ask the fee when you reserve.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,

We wonder if there are any news about how to get to the Santiago airport early in the morning? We only found information that was 4-6 years old.

Taxi and fees?

Hola S&C and welcome to the forum,

I'm almost sure there are just taxis during the night. I've spent three nights on the SdC airport before my returning flights and it was really very quiet.
By albergue I think you mean Albergue Monte do Gozo which is closer to the airport than the city itself but I doubt you'll be able to accommodate at that hour even if you get the taxi.
My best guess would be either to take a taxi to a hotel with 24h operating reception or to wait at the airport for first morning bus into SdC. Everything is closed during the nigh on the airport so if you'll be travelling with checked-in baggage put some snacks and beverages into it.

Ultreia!

... My best guess would be either to take a taxi to a hotel with 24h operating reception or to wait at the airport for first morning bus into SdC. Everything is closed during the nigh on the airport so if you'll be travelling with checked-in baggage put some snacks and beverages into it. ...

I think that the OP wants to know how to get from SdC to the airport ;-) I would stay the last night at a nearby hotel, f.e. http://www.hotelgarcas.com/en/ and ask them to book a taxi for you. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can stay at The Last Stamp albergue in Santiago. They have no curfew and have a hospitalero there 24/7 at the reception desk. It's about 200 meters from the cathedral and it's a nice, self respecting albergue. :D
I'm sure you can arrange to have a taxi to take you from there to the airport. I've heard that costs around 20 euros.
or......you can take the last bus to the airport the night before around midnight for 3 euros. The bus stop to the airport is about a 5-10 minute walk from the albergue. When you get to Santiago go to the tourism office and they will give you a map of Santiago and will show you where it is. They are very gracious. When I did it for a 6:00 am flight, I was surprised how many fellow pilgrims had the same idea. ha ha
Wasn't that bad. I've had waaaaay longer layovers at airports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay at a hotel the previous night and get reception to order a taxi for you. Also get the receptionist to ask for the price at that time.
I did this from a hotel well out of town in 2012 and the cost was 22 euros.
Good luck !

I think that the OP wants to know how to get from SdC to the airport ;-) I would stay the last night at a nearby hotel, f.e. http://www.hotelgarcas.com/en/ and ask them to book a taxi for you. Buen Camino, SY
Ups, my bad :D

In that case my advice would be to get the last bus from the city and wait those few hours at the airport. Either way you won't get much sleep but could save a lot of €€€ (hotel & taxi).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a new albergue near the Hotel Ruta Jacobea (and Hotel Garcas). It is not on anyone's list or map. When the Camino crosses N-634 after going through San Paio, turn left toward Ruta Jacobea and Hotel Garcas. It is set back from the highway on the left about 200 meters from the Camino crossing. It is about a 40 minute walk to the airport, or you can arrange a taxi. Hotel Garcas is about a 35 minute walk, and will arrange a taxi for you.

Hi Claudia-

In October 2014 I stayed at The Last Stamp albergue and they called a taxi for me sometime between 4-5am. I was concerned about getting to the airport for my 6am flight, but I'll tell you now- the airport is SO small and that early in the morning there is NO ONE there. Don't feel like you need to arrive very early! I did consider going on the last bus the night before and waiting in the airport-- so glad I didn't, I would not recommend it, it's completely empty and shut down. Getting a good night's sleep somewhere and paying for a taxi is definitely worth it!

I think it was about a 15 minute (if that) taxi ride. That early there is no one on the road and the only people going to the airport are pilgrims ;)

Hello,

Taxi and fees?

Hi,
I found it easiest to get the inexpensive evening bus to the airport and sleep the early hours away there.
The airport is very quiet and I had no problem getting a few hours of shut eye.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
I found it easiest to get the inexpensive evening bus to the airport and sleep the early hours away there.
The airport is very quiet and I had no problem getting a few hours of shut eye.
Agree! Maybe even a nice dinner before that. Same amount spent as for a room and taxi in early morning hours ;)

I had my hotel book a taxi for 5:45am. 20 min drive. €21. Airport is beautiful with good food available.

I just returned two weeks ago. My flight from SdC to Madrid was scheduled for 6:30 am. The kind people at the Santa Clara Hotel arranged a taxi (20 euros) for me at 5:15 am. I was told if I arrived at the airport any earlier there would be no one there but me and the taxi driver! Lol! I arrived in plenty of time to check my pack and board the flight. I was also provided with a 'picnic' sac from the staff at the Santa Clara in case there were no places to eat open at the airport!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back