• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get weight down

mitzi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2021)
Hello,

I’m heading off on the Camino Frances in a week or so and today I’ve been packing my bag. It’s come out to weigh 6.8kg (including 1.5L water and a few snacks) but this is a problem because I weigh just less than 65kg, so it’s over the 10% rule I’ve attached a list of everything I’ve packed and I’d appreciate it if anyone could suggest some ways to get that weight down a bit.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Mitzi

Attachments

• Updated Camino Packing List.pdf
    56.3 KB · Views: 253
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you really need sandals and flip flops?

However big the stone is - find a smaller one.

You don’t need a head torch at this time of year.

Lock and lock? Also padlock? Comforting possibly but of little practical use.

Tin opener? Most have ring-pulls these days. Cutlery and a titanium spoon? A small knife and a big spoon will do.

Carabiners?

First of all - the 10% rule is simply based on a study of how heavy a kids school backpack should be. Was never intended to be the guide for hiking. It is a good starting point - but 10% for a lighter person might mean you skip essentials wheras 10% for a heavier person would mean they are carrying way too much.

That said -

Carry sandals that you could wear in the shower and walk in if at all possible. I use my Tevas for that.

I agree with Henrythedog - get a smaller rock - or heck - skip the rock

I also agree - skip the locks and padlocks. Carry a fannypack that holds your valuables and simply wear the fannypack everywhere you go. And yes - take it in the shower with you. Just make sure you have a waterproof ziplock for passport/credential.

Toiletry bag - Do you really need the moisturiser? Bobbles? Flannel? Cotton buds? Sewing kit? (I carry safety pins and can sterlize one if I need to pop a blister). Do you need a soap AND conditioner bar?

Your water bottle - nalgenes are heavier than a 1L bottle of water you buy at the store and simply refill that instead of the nalgene.

Powerbank - I found it was unnecessary - I did all my charging in the albergue and if needed a boost - recharged at a bar along the way

EU adapter and USB charger - merge the 2 into 1 that does both

Cutlery, can opener, spoon - you can easily get by without any of these! Especially the can opener.

Guidebook - use an app on your phone instead.

Carabiners - I am using safety pins instead. Not like I am doing a wilderness hike.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cosmetics weigh a lot so maybe combine moisturizer with sun cream and also combine the soaps. You can buy an EU charger so no need for adapter. Ditch the flip flops - you have sandals. The 10% is not a rule, by the way; no one is going to weigh your pack and kick you off the Camino for being over the limit, in fact you are doing pretty well already, especially as water doesn’t really count and you will soon figure out what to chuck if it gets too much. Buen Camino.

6.8 kg including 1.5 kg of water is very good, but you still might want to consider the above suggestions.

If you are a very prescriptive person and want to follow a rule, consider the fact that usually when we discuss pack weights here on the forum we are talking about weight without the water.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Agree with @henrythedog. You don't need nalgene bottles. Buy one plastic water bottle with water in it and reuse it until it starts to leak. You can add a second one for the occasional long stretches without water on the CF (I can only think of a couple.) Sandals or flip flops, but not both. No head lamp please. Hate them in albergues. Use a small squeeze light or something. No padlock. No nail kit, moisturizer, bobbles, cotton balls, Use one glass case for your glasses and sunglasses as you'll likely be wearing one pair and storing the other and only one cloth for cleaning both. You don't need a power bank--plenty of places to charge your phone. No emergency food. Just a few snacks. Plenty of infrastructure on the CF to buy things. no can opener, spoon, tea towel, lighter. Look at all your toiletries and take only the smallest tube you can find. There are plenty of stores in Spain to replentish.

A kilogram of water is disproportionately heavier for the the lighter person than the heavier. So leave it out of your calc. I think you've done a good job. How does it feel to you after a long practice walk? If you feel good that's good enough. I carry a small airline lock to be used at big city hostels as they often suggest you lock your locker. I like a headlight for the occasional dark walk along country roads where a pre-occupied farmer and tractor may not see you. Last year in September on the CF a headlight was essential for early morning navigation.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
People don't normally count water and snacks in their "base weight." When you remove those from the calculation you are actually under the 10% which really isn't a rule anyway.
No head lamp please. Hate them in albergues. Use a small squeeze light or something.
A squeeze light isn't very useful on the trail when getting an early start.
Just because someone brings a headlamp doesn't mean that they will use it inappropriately in an albergue.

My pack is often 8-12kg with food and water depending on time of year and route taken, and I can carry that very comfortably even though it's far above the 10% rule for me.

It is more about how comfortable you are with your pack (and what is in it!) than some random numbers or some internet stranger's advice.

One thing though: I didn't see a first aid kit on your list. That's definitely more important than a padlock, sewing kit, can opener, power bank or extra tea towel, I'd say!

Happy planning and buen Camino :)

People don't normally count water and snacks in their "base weight." When you remove those from the calculation you are actually under the 10% which really isn't a rule anyway.

Just because someone brings a headlamp doesn't mean that they will use it inappropriately in an albergue.

This time of year there is plenty of light for walking even if you get up uber early like me. I only carry a red map reading squeeze light no matter what time of year it is.

Edited: Mine looks like this one and I wear it on a wrist band when I sleep in case I need to get up to use the bathroom in the night at the albergue. I also use it when I am camping and it gives me plenty of light.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do you really need sandals and flip flops?

However big the stone is - find a smaller one.

Lock and lock? Also padlock? Comforting possibly but of little practical use.

Tin opener? Most have ring-pulls these days. Cutlery and a titanium spoon? A small knife and a big spoon will do.

Carabiners?
I think I’ll ditch the flip flops.

I’ve heard that the head torch is good for the early morning starts?

Sorry for the confusion, lock and lock is the brand of a small plastic Tupperware type container for bringing my lunch in.

I think I’ll get rid of the tin opener and plastic cutlery and just go with my pen knife and titanium spoon.

As for the carabiners, it’s just a couple of lightweight ones (not the heavy type for climbing) for attaching things that haven’t dried yet onto my bag. I’ve heard of people using pegs but I didn’t have any to hand.

Thank you henrythedog for your suggestions

What I did was every few days I'd lay out everything on my bed and throw away anything I thought was not useful. There are Chinese Bazaar shops that sell everything in every town along the way so if I got it wrong I'd be able to replace whatever it was. Likewise don't take that tin opener - go and buy one should you need it. I planned what I'd need to get from SJPP to Pamplona and nothing more.

I’ve heard that the head torch is good for the early morning starts?
Depends on how early you want to get started. In June/July I started at 6:30 and while it wasn't "bright" out - I didn't need a headlamp. That said - one morning I "startled" myself awake and thought it was getting late and I should get going - so I quickly and quietly threw my belongings into my bag and left the building as quickly as I could so as not to wake anyone else up. When I got outside - I realized it was only 4am (Oh my gosh - seriously?!!!)! And of course - the door locked behind me. So what did I do? I pulled out my headlamp - and started walking. Afterall - I couldn't go back in the building! So will you need it? Maybe not. But was I glad I had it? Absolutely! That said - my phone light would have worked too in a pinch. For in the dorm room I have a tiny keychain LED light that essentially takes up no space and weighs next to nothing. Didn't use that either.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can use a vapor collapsible bottle to save weight. They weigh next to nothing. I carried 2, but only had to carry1 filled with water at any time as there were plenty of places to refill.

Depends on how early you want to get started. In June/July I started at 6:30 and while it wasn't "bright" out - I didn't need a headlamp. That said - one morning I "startled" myself awake and thought it was getting late and I should get going - so I quickly and quietly threw my belongings into my bag and left the building as quickly as I could so as not to wake anyone else up. When I got outside - I realized it was only 4am (Oh my gosh - seriously?!!!)! And of course - the door locked behind me. So what did I do? I pulled out my headlamp - and started walking. Afterall - I couldn't go back in the building! So will you need it? Maybe not. But was I glad I had it? Absolutely! That said - my phone light would have worked too in a pinch. For in the dorm room I have a tiny keychain LED light that essentially takes up no space and weighs next to nothing. Didn't use that either.
Spain is in a bizarre timezone (and yes I know why). I've just arrived in Galicia and it's taking some getting used to that the sun comes up at nearly 8, whereas at home it's before 6, and we're an hour behind in the UK. Solar noon (zenith) in Central European Summer Time in Galicia is at 2.30pm-ish, so if you want to set off early it is a good idea to take a head torch... or maybe just set off a bit later. What are you going to do when you arrive? I'd rather spend the day seeing the countryside than walking for the sake of it.

Plenty of good advice already. Also.....good suncream can be used as moisturiser and lip balm. Can't praise the humble ziplock bag enough (ditch the Tupperware) probably one of most useful item on the Camino.
Didn't see you mention tissues, so add those to your list. If you want moist tissues as well.....just add water.
I would ignore weight of water, it'll be consumed as you travel, but go for a basic plastic bottle.
Finally, make sure you have a decent well fitted ladies rucksack with a hip belt.
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I agree completely about the light and head lamp. I never use my headlamp in an albergue and I do get early starts and walk alone often where the markings aren't very good. I pack the night before. If you do a little planning you may need to put on your cell phone light for just a few seconds. To check under the bed and in the bed and that is all. You can also adjust the brightness of the light on your cell phone so it is not very bright at all. Just enough light to check to see if you missed anything to put away.

Didn't see you mention tissues, so add those to your list. If you want moist tissues as well.....just add water.
She didn't mention tissues - but she does have a pee rag and a bandana. Personally - I use the bandana as a "snot rag" and wash and reuse. Better than having to constantly buy and replace tissues. I do however usually have just a little bit of toilet paper in case of an emergency and it is needed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

I’m heading off on the Camino Frances in a week or so and today I’ve been packing my bag. It’s come out to weigh 6.8kg (including 1.5L water and a few snacks) but this is a problem because I weigh just less than 65kg, so it’s over the 10% rule I’ve attached a list of everything I’ve packed and I’d appreciate it if anyone could suggest some ways to get that weight down a bit.

Thank you,
Mitzi
We done. You do not need to lose anymore. Anything less than 7 to 8kg is great.

Hello,

Thank you,
Mitzifirst

Hello,

Thank you,
Mitzi
First of all enjoy and have a wonderful adventure ..I am in Astorga at present walking the Frances and downsized my weight to 3kg that's one set of clothing, 3 socks , 3 layers of underware , sleeping bag liner , micro towel , poncho , first aid kit , suntan lotion , toiletries , thermos cup and some coffee sachets oh yes and my phone charger

Hello,

Thank you,
Mitzi
Are you assuming that every alberque will offer blankets?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@mitzi
I have read your list through twice and I see no sign of rain gear or bedding. Unless you're staying in hotels every night you will need bedding in most albergues and rain gear is essential, whatever works for you to keep yourself and your pack dry. Think carefully about foot care, as the basic element in your first aid kit. It could be a long way to the next pharmacy when your feet start to hurt. A few long walks before you leave, carrying your pack, could help if you are not an experienced long distance walker. I see that you have included a towel on your list. There are various lightweight options for this. I take a hand towel from home. Others prefer a larger specialty camping towel. Consider what is best for you and not too heavy. In general, you have done very well. Buen camino.

With toiletries you don't mention how much of each you're packing. If travel size or small containers that you can refill along the way you're fine. If packing the regular size you use at home there's an opportunity to save on weight.

Hello,

Thank you,
Mitzi

Usually you calculate your baseweight. That is only what you have in your backpack without food and water. And looks like you are arround 5 kilos. That is perfect for everyone.

You can buy a 500 ml water and refill it for a few days and then buy a new. It is a lot lighter than the Nalgene. And you can do without a towel if you really want to squeese it.

Best
Andy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The List contains wants and needs. And, there are needs that are not on the list that can be picked up along the way. The drop needed is about 2.26 kg. Forget the 10% Rule. That does not apply to everyone. As we get older, heavier, that rule would expect us to carry more and more. Not sensible, yes?

One thing on, one replacement in the bag. Only needs. Even if 10 lb or 4.54 kg does not include snacks and water, your feet will thank you for lightening up.

First of all - the 10% rule is simply based on a study of how heavy a kids school backpack should be. Was never intended to be the guide for hiking. It is a good starting point - but 10% for a lighter person might mean you skip essentials wheras 10% for a heavier person would mean they are carrying way too much.
Love this! I always wondered where 10% came from. Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you,
Mitzi
Before you consider lightening your load too much have a read of the thread linked below. If you are starting from SJPP don't get into trouble by leaving essential gear after you just to have a superlight pack.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
EU adapter and USB charger - merge the 2 into 1 that does both
This brings up a question I've had for a long time. All of (few) devices are capable of handling both USA and EU voltage. Is there something I'm not understanding about needing a EU electrical voltage/current? My three devices are; 1) phone, 2) Fit Bit Watch, and 3) a Selfie Gimbal with a rechargeable remote.

This brings up a question I've had for a long time. All of (few) devices are capable of handling both USA and EU voltage. Is there something I'm not understanding about needing a EU electrical voltage/current? My three devices are; 1) phone, 2) Fit Bit Watch, and 3) a Selfie Gimbal with a rechargeable remote.
Just plug in and charge. If you look at your phone charger it will say Input 110v -240v Output 5.1v or suchlike so it doesn't matter what voltage supply you use.

Before you consider lightening your load too much have a read of the thread linked below. If you are starting from SJPP don't get into trouble by leaving essential gear after you just to have a superlight pack.

So much good advice! Agree with wayfarer. You have an excellent start. Just refinement and idiosyncratic choices ahead. Observations from the trail: too many cosmetics and not enough skin protection from sun, high winds, cold and rain; hat with brim, light nylon LS shirt and pants,(one on and one spare, biking gloves, rain gear (jacket with hood, and pants eg. Frogg Toggs set). Layer. A light weight merino sweater and a 100wt pile pullover plus your jacket is versatile for a range of conditions. I am happy to carry a light weight umbrella. X-light microlight on string around neck for seeing into bag and bathroom journeys at night.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Question: If I'm hiking in Tevas, wouldn't I be expected to leave these outside the albergue as with boots/trainers?
Some hospitaleros will sometimes give a pass on leaving sandals outside, even though they can carry just as much dirt on their soles as shoes or boots. I do take mine off when entering, and then I often wash them when I wash my clothes.

€46,-
Just plug in and charge. If you look at your phone charger it will say Input 110v -240v Output 5.1v or suchlike so it doesn't matter what voltage supply you use.
Most portable devices these days can support both frequencies. It just takes longer on North American semi-skimmed electricity. From my experience you'd fry a 1970s Viewmaster slide projector, but not a laptop. This is why North Americans don't have electric kettles.

Question: If I'm hiking in Tevas, wouldn't I be expected to leave these outside the albergue as with boots/trainers?
No. Everyone wears Tevas and other sandals around town in the evening. Only ever saw boots and trail running shoes/sneakers in the boots area. Of course - if you are getting your Tevas very dirty from hiking - then they would need a good rinse. Around town they don't usually get too dirty. No more so than the crocs of flip flops people wear around town and in the showers.

Hello,

Thank you,
Mitzi
No need for PowerBar. Use a chux cloth instead of teatowel. Crocs sandals (not clog variety) instead of sandals. These could also be used if shower really grotty, but you would need to wash them first. Then you could ditch the flip flops or take the super thin light ones they use in pedicure parlors.
I take a baby muslin cloth, lighter than a face cloth.
I would not obsess over the 300 g. Your pack is very light and you will drink some water in the first hour or so anyway.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Spain is in a bizarre timezone (and yes I know why). I've just arrived in Galicia and it's taking some getting used to that the sun comes up at nearly 8, whereas at home it's before 6, and we're an hour behind in the UK. Solar noon (zenith) in Central European Summer Time in Galicia is at 2.30pm-ish, so if you want to set off early it is a good idea to take a head torch... or maybe just set off a bit later. What are you going to do when you arrive? I'd rather spend the day seeing the countryside than walking for the sake of it.
Unless there is no moon and it is overcast, torches are rarely required. Let your eyes adjust to the low light and you will be surprised how much you can see. Even better with your eyes adjusted you can see all around you and not just the small section illuminated by a torch. Even better, you will not spoil someone else's night vision by shining your torch light in their direction.

I never understood walking with a headlamp. I am on the Camino to “see” Spain not to race through the dark. Squeeze light on a wrist strap works for me in the albergue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Agree with Ownesr23. Prefer the X-light micro on a piece of fishing line that can be worn around the neck and dangles conveniently to see into my pack or light night BR trips. It has brightness control and can make a strobe for visibility on roads if necessary.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.