• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to keep valuables safe whilst sleeping?

iowakristy

Hi,

I am doing the Camino in April this year, and will unfortunately have to bring my tablet with me.

I'm a heavy sleeper, and am wondering what the best way to secure it whilst sleeping in albergues would be?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Put in in your sleeping bag, at your feet if you're worried.

Thank you for your reply!

I was thinking that that wouldn't necessarily be a good place, as it would be easy for somebody to just cut the bottom of the sleeping bag?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Iowakristy:

I do not think that is likely. That said, if you are worried, maybe you should leave it at home.

Ultreya,
Joe

it would be easy for somebody to just cut the bottom of the sleeping bag
If someone wants it that badly, it is as good as gone now! The downside of taking any equipment is that it will catch the eye of someone who wants it. Tablets are desirable items, so you will create a danger every time you use it. If that is an intolerable problem for your peace of mind, the only solution will be to leave it at home. You are going to have to take it to the shower with you, by the way, so bring moisture protection with you.

Rest assured that you are not the only one to bring a notebook or similar items on Camino. The Camino is a thing full of humanity from the best to the worst and everything in between. As someone said above, if there is a someone that is desperate to steal an item, it will be stolen. However, there are not a lot of those kinds of people on Camino. You will not need to bring a 2,000 pound safe requiring it being bolted down every evening to protect your valuables. However, you do need a modicum of common sense. Don't leave it lying about to tempt others or to lure a burgeoning criminal access to it. For me, I would keep it in the bottom of my backpack by my bed. However, I understand that this world is made of all types of individuals. Some live in a state of constant anxiety where they fear something bad will occur at every moment. Others don't worry as much; they take sensible precautions and realize that sometimes bad things will happen. If you need to bring it, then bring it. If you don't need to bring it, then leave it at home. You will not be the first person that has brought a similar item and returned home with it. Spain is a great place full of great people. The Camino is not a den of thieves, but just humans where most are on pilgrimage. Don't worry about it and enjoy your Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anecdote: Jenna Bush, the daughter of President Dubya, walked the Camino from Lugo (or Sarria). Cell phones were in the process of becoming ubiquitous, so they were a lure to thieves. In a bar, a thief saw her cell phone on the table, not knowing who she was. He grabbed the phone, and before he could get anywhere near the door, two Secret Service agents had pinned him to the floor.

Moral: If you are worried about your valuables, take along the Secret Service.

Attachments

• Jenna camino.jpg
    Jenna camino.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 745
I'm sure she didn't have to carry her rucksack all over the Camino. I'm shocked her parents let her go, seeing as how it was a huge security risk and logistical nightmare. The Secret Service would have tried to blend in; but some of what they carry (radios, badges, weapons, etc) would have made it a little obvious who this peregrina was.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Camino is where you learn to live without fear - a skill and a joy that will last you at least one lifetime.

Either bring what you have and be willing to lose it - so no fear - or leave it behind.

The Camino is a friendly place, full of friendly people, but every garden has at least one serpent :|

so go, happily and content - all is well -no one will cut the end of your sleeping bag open, all is well.

Buen Camino :wink:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.