• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to know if you're ready?

• Thread starter Kate spencer-Millan
  • Start date
K

Kate spencer-Millan

Hi!

I plan to walk the camino Frances in April/may 2015.

I was supposed to walk it 2014 around the same time but was unable to as I broke my leg in early April.
The healing of my leg is coming along pretty good and my physio therapist thinks I can be ready to do the walk again this coming year. So, although she has the confidence in me, there is still a little doubt. I Have a training plan of long walks, with and without weight on my back, walking stairs and increasing the incline on the treadmill at the gym (I live in Calgary and in winter it's difficult to train outside) ..... But even with this plan how will I know if I'm ready? Physically and mentally? Some days I know I can do it and tell myself to stop analysing and trying to imagine all possible senarios as this will overwhelm me.... And other times I'm able to 'freak' myself out and think I can't do it.

I'm interested in how other people dealt with all the worries/concerns before the walk? .... If they had any!!!?

Thanks!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Kate!

You have to say to yourself - I can walk, I can do it! Don't worry, you will not be alone there and everyone helps if you will need! Just be prepared, be happy and enjoy every single step on the Camino!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

You are ready for the Camino when it calls you. Setbacks (mental or physical) there may be for some if not all of us before the first day of each Camino and for some during it. Mentally? Don't fret about it as it really isn't that big a deal. Just accept each day as it comes. Just remember that starting is all that is important. Remember that there is always bag transport, taxis, buses, trains, rest days, short days as options to remove any strain. No idea where you are walking from. SJPdP? Wherever why not determine to not carry your bag the first day so as to remove some of the worry? The Camino does not have to be a hardship, you are no less a pilgrim if you don't carry a huge and heavy backpack every step of the way! The Camino is about YOUR experience, YOUR discoveries, about YOU! Disfruta! Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't think about it too much. Just use common sense and carry the lightest pack you can. Avoid the old "just in case" or "might need" routine when deciding what you carry in your pack. Don't let fear pack your pack.
Overall, walking the Camino is a very safe activity. It's not the Bataan Death March and it's not a trek through the Himalayas. And despite what others may say, you don't have to suffer (unless you wanted to, but why would you want to do that? :cool:).

The Dr is IN:
I had a friend who told me she was newly engaged. "Oh," I said, "I don't see a ring!"
She offered that he popped the question, but didn't have the money right now to get the ring. Since they were really, really in love, the ring isn't that important...right now.
"Oh," I said, "Well, I know a couple in your situation...in fact, they both wore a bandaid on the ring finger. Do you at least have a date?"
Looking down toward her feet, she indicated they were getting married and would set the date soon. In fact, they were thinking of a June wedding (it was July).
Moral of the story: Wanting something is a good thing. Going to do something is also a good thing. Thinking of doing something is a good thing. The decision to really commit rather than just ruminating on the subject is like a person thinking of getting married without any solid evidence that there's a good chance it will happen: no ring/no date. You may be physically capable of the act, but have taken no concrete, tangible action toward commitment.
Kate...purchase your ticket! Now you can focus on all other pieces of a successful Camino.
Buen Camino,

Arn

One doesn't! (know)
one has to live it, and take some action (buy tickets, back-pack, etc) and then proceed with confidence while keeping good ol' common sense. This pilgrimage is not like an exam one can study for and after x-amount of books and pre-tests one might feel 'ready'.
I wonder how many people felt ready to fall in love, to die, to move to another country, to have a child, etc etc.
Perhaps you can tune into that part that called you first to the camino, that ignited an interest.... and then be led from that place and move onwards.
Before I started I had all sorts of health-hiccups which could have derailed the camino - i never felt 'ready' - but nonetheless the bags got packed and one fine day i found myself on the train to the airport.
somewhere i've read this quote which i quite like -
"Preparing is going through the motions of getting ready for what you think is about to happen.
Ready is actually being able to handle whatever is thrown your way."

be gentle with your body while strengthening it bit by bit...
here is a video (first of a series of ten, all on the same channel) that might provide suitable outer and inner excercises
I studied w/ the teacher Master Lam here where I live and followed the instructions ... but even the video's provide good guidelines.
Happy planning ... and hold onto that inner intention - very best wishes!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Dr is IN:
I had a friend who told me she was newly engaged. "Oh," I said, "I don't see a ring!"
She offered that he popped the question, but didn't have the money right now to get the ring. Since they were really, really in love, the ring isn't that important...right now.
"Oh," I said, "Well, I know a couple in your situation...in fact, they both wore a bandaid on the ring finger. Do you at least have a date?"
Looking down toward her feet, she indicated they were getting married and would set the date soon. In fact, they were thinking of a June wedding (it was July).
Moral of the story: Wanting something is a good thing. Going to do something is also a good thing. Thinking of doing something is a good thing. The decision to really commit rather than just ruminating on the subject is like a person thinking of getting married without any solid evidence that there's a good chance it will happen: no ring/no date. You may be physically capable of the act, but have taken no concrete, tangible action toward commitment.
Kate...purchase your ticket! Now you can focus on all other pieces of a successful Camino.
Buen Camino,

Arn
Wow! Thank you! ..... You're right.... i should have remembered this from last year. When I booked my ticket last year it changed my perspective from can I do this? .... To .... Ok, I'm doing this!
Thanks for the reminder!

Hi!

I was supposed to walk it 2014 around the same time but was unable to as I broke my leg in early April.
The healing of my leg is coming along pretty good and my physio therapist thinks I can be ready to do the walk again this coming year. So, although she has the confidence in me, there is still a little doubt. I Have a training plan of long walks, with and without weight on my back, walking stairs and increasing the incline on the treadmill at the gym (I live in Calgary and in winter it's difficult to train outside) ..... But even with this plan how will I know if I'm ready? Physically and mentally? Some days I know I can do it and tell myself to stop analysing and trying to imagine all possible senarios as this will overwhelm me.... And other times I'm able to 'freak' myself out and think I can't do it.

I'm interested in how other people dealt with all the worries/concerns before the walk? .... If they had any!!!?

Thanks!!!!
Where are you thinking about starting? Give yourself plenty of time and be ready to change your plans and go with the flow. We started in Pamplona my daughters knee started to give her problems so we took a train from burgos to astorga and landed right in the middle of a festival it was the caminos way of giving back .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Kate!

You have to say to yourself - I can walk, I can do it! Don't worry, you will not be alone there and everyone helps if you will need! Just be prepared, be happy and enjoy every single step on the Camino!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan
Thank you!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi!

Thanks!!!!
None that I could remember of (apart from money),
but I do wish you gain the strenght and will to do it after such an ordeal!

Ultreia, Kate!

Where are you thinking about starting? Give yourself plenty of time and be ready to change your plans and go with the flow. We started in Pamplona my daughters knee started to give her problems so we took a train from burgos to astorga and landed right in the middle of a festival it was the caminos way of giving back .

Hi, thinking of starting in Roncesvalles, I've heard the part before that is quite a bit more difficult.... So don't want to start off on a 'frustrating foot'! Haha
I think the part I'm most nervous about is being on my 'own'..... More so initially.

Thanks for your post!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
None that I could remember of (apart from money),
but I do wish you gain the strenght and will to do it after such an ordeal!

Ultreia, Kate!
Thank you! ..... I guess, after such a hard past year.... The walk will be all the more rewarding.

Don't think about it too much. Just use common sense and carry the lightest pack you can. Avoid the old "just in case" or "might need" routine when deciding what you carry in your pack. Don't let fear pack your pack.
Overall, walking the Camino is a very safe activity. It's not the Bataan Death March and it's not a trek through the Himalayas. And despite what others may say, you don't have to suffer (unless you wanted to, but why would you want to do that? :cool:).
It's my 'common sense' (or lack of it!) that I'm worried about! Haha

Thanks!

You are ready for the Camino when it calls you. Setbacks (mental or physical) there may be for some if not all of us before the first day of each Camino and for some during it. Mentally? Don't fret about it as it really isn't that big a deal. Just accept each day as it comes. Just remember that starting is all that is important. Remember that there is always bag transport, taxis, buses, trains, rest days, short days as options to remove any strain. No idea where you are walking from. SJPdP? Wherever why not determine to not carry your bag the first day so as to remove some of the worry? The Camino does not have to be a hardship, you are no less a pilgrim if you don't carry a huge and heavy backpack every step of the way! The Camino is about YOUR experience, YOUR discoveries, about YOU! Disfruta! Buen Camino
Thanks! I plan to start at Roncesvalles .... I heard the part before it is a bit more difficult.
That's a good idea.... Maybe I'll consider that!
Thanks for the advice!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks! I plan to start at Roncesvalles .... I heard the part before it is a bit more difficult.
Thanks for the advice!
Hi,
The first day for me, St Jean to Roncesvalles, was very tough. There was flooding, and some pretty steep climbs. In hindsight, I wasn't in great shape, but the days got easier very quickly.
After a couple of weeks, the walking itself ceased to be a big deal. Knocking off 10km before breakfast became routine. The distances seem larger now in retrospect, the reason for which I don't really understand.
I feel that pace is as important as prior conditioning. I met very fit people during the Camino who lost days due to body breakdowns simply because they pushed too hard. Find your comfort zone, get to know people with similar pace, and enjoy your experience.

Hi!

Thanks!!!!
Hi Kate..
If you are walking fine at the moment and can walk some distance, let's say 20 km without weight, then it's all about training your mind, and having the confidence to push yourself. Better to try that now and see how it goes. After an injury doubt will always be an issue and it's the doubt that needs to be overcome. As you increase your training, increase your weight gradually and listen to you body, rest when needed but also push yourself sometimes when you think you need a rest. As your strength grows, as will your confidence...the camino is a big ask on anyone's body and no doubt we'll all have reservations but with all the friends that you will meet during your pilgrimage you will have all the support you will need and their confidence will inspire you as yours will inspire them. Buen camino.. And Happy New Year..

Thanks for the advice!
Hi!

Thanks!!!!
maeseta.jpg
Hi Kate,
I walked alone from SJPP to Santiago May / June last year - I was very unfit so started slow short walks 4 months before I left, my knees ached with every step so I stopped walking / training - I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, a chronic lack of cartilage in both knees, my feet - collapsed arches, pronate and a very very broad foot (bunions) - my Rheumatologist and Orthopaedic surgeon both said I wouldn't be able to walk 20km let alone 800 plus, my podiatrist said I couldn't do 50km on my dodgy feet - I was so adamant that I needed to do this walk, that I decided to do it at my pace, I gave myself time (65 days) - I started slow St Jean to Orisson, the next day to Ronscevalles followed by some days of only 14km a day to max 24km a day - a slow snail pace and did it in 48 days - my knees struggled the first 3 days until I came up with a little mantra for my brain to convince my body that it felt great, strong and that I could do this. I am a over analysing person so spent months checking out websites, forums, planning, shopping, weighing, couldn't find shoes to fit my feet, weighing again, having anxiety attacks right until the day before I left - all of it for naught really - the first day out, when you take your first step, all the anxious days planning etc are forgotten (in fact you wonder what all the fuss was about) and you get into the spirit of the Camino. The only planning needed is to chose your dates, buy the ticket, allow a decent amount of time to do the walk, buy the lightest kit / stuff you can find and best walking poles www.pacerpoles.com (they deliver internationally) and just know that you will be perfectly fine. Just do it! for some added inspiration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOTJHbwRj4
have a fabulous new year
Carla

€149,-
View attachment 15501
Hi Kate,
I walked alone from SJPP to Santiago May / June last year - I was very unfit so started slow short walks 4 months before I left, my knees ached with every step so I stopped walking / training - I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, a chronic lack of cartilage in both knees, my feet - collapsed arches, pronate and a very very broad foot (bunions) - my Rheumatologist and Orthopaedic surgeon both said I wouldn't be able to walk 20km let alone 800 plus, my podiatrist said I couldn't do 50km on my dodgy feet - I was so adamant that I needed to do this walk, that I decided to do it at my pace, I gave myself time (65 days) - I started slow St Jean to Orisson, the next day to Ronscevalles followed by some days of only 14km a day to max 24km a day - a slow snail pace and did it in 48 days - my knees struggled the first 3 days until I came up with a little mantra for my brain to convince my body that it felt great, strong and that I could do this. I am a over analysing person so spent months checking out websites, forums, planning, shopping, weighing, couldn't find shoes to fit my feet, weighing again, having anxiety attacks right until the day before I left - all of it for naught really - the first day out, when you take your first step, all the anxious days planning etc are forgotten (in fact you wonder what all the fuss was about) and you get into the spirit of the Camino. The only planning needed is to chose your dates, buy the ticket, allow a decent amount of time to do the walk, buy the lightest kit / stuff you can find and best walking poles www.pacerpoles.com (they deliver internationally) and just know that you will be perfectly fine. Just do it! for some added inspiration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOTJHbwRj4
have a fabulous new year
Carla
Your answer Carla is very reassuring. My husband and I are starting April 1 and have anxious days because of pain I feel everyday but your words are comforting and I thank you for experiences. Maya

Carla,
I've always known SA girls to be exceptional(HI SIL), beauty in and out, intelligent, ready for a challenge and introspective without making that trait an anchor, but rather a direction.

Kate, you've found the Forum and the pilgrims that populate it a cornucopia of encouragement, insight, knowledge and inspiration.
The YouTube piece on the Camino recommended by Carla...is elegant in it's simplicity.

2015 holds 365 days for the new class to discover, recover, share, or just be there, possibly for the first time...ever.
Buen"Class of 2015" Camino.
What mark will you leave...what will you take away? Only the Camino knows.
Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi!

Thanks!!!!
Did any of us ever have worries or concerns before setting off? Of course not! ;) As I'm preparing for my second Camino I feel as many doubts as I did the first time, maybe more. I'm two years older-will that affect my ability? Is my knee going to behave? There are innumerable things to fret over but the bottom line is that you'll never "know" you're ready. You'll just be as prepared as you can be and then you'll go for it. So in the meantime, walk whenever/wherever possible, think positive thoughts about it and let the worry fall by the wayside.

Hi,
The first day for me, St Jean to Roncesvalles, was very tough. There was flooding, and some pretty steep climbs. In hindsight, I wasn't in great shape, but the days got easier very quickly.
After a couple of weeks, the walking itself ceased to be a big deal. Knocking off 10km before breakfast became routine. The distances seem larger now in retrospect, the reason for which I don't really understand.
I feel that pace is as important as prior conditioning. I met very fit people during the Camino who lost days due to body breakdowns simply because they pushed too hard. Find your comfort zone, get to know people with similar pace, and enjoy your experience.
Thanks For The Advice! It's good to hear people experiences.

Did any of us ever have worries or concerns before setting off? Of course not! ;) As I'm preparing for my second Camino I feel as many doubts as I did the first time, maybe more. I'm two years older-will that affect my ability? Is my knee going to behave? There are innumerable things to fret over but the bottom line is that you'll never "know" you're ready. You'll just be as prepared as you can be and then you'll go for it. So in the meantime, walk whenever/wherever possible, think positive thoughts about it and let the worry fall by the wayside.
Thank you! I'm starting to realise that I need to stop over thinking it! Thanks again!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Kate..
If you are walking fine at the moment and can walk some distance, let's say 20 km without weight, then it's all about training your mind, and having the confidence to push yourself. Better to try that now and see how it goes. After an injury doubt will always be an issue and it's the doubt that needs to be overcome. As you increase your training, increase your weight gradually and listen to you body, rest when needed but also push yourself sometimes when you think you need a rest. As your strength grows, as will your confidence...the camino is a big ask on anyone's body and no doubt we'll all have reservations but with all the friends that you will meet during your pilgrimage you will have all the support you will need and their confidence will inspire you as yours will inspire them. Buen camino.. And Happy New Year..
Aaaaawww thank you! Your words are very supportive. Thanks!

View attachment 15501
Hi Kate,
have a fabulous new year
Carla
Wow! Very inspiring Carla. I think you're right. Give myself lots of time and smaller goals each day..... Especially in the beginning. I can walk 18 km right now and stairs and hills are no problem. I'll start adding weight to my walks and training. Thanks! If you can do it so can I!
Happy new year!

Wow! Very inspiring Carla. I think you're right. Give myself lots of time and smaller goals each day..... Especially in the beginning. I can walk 18 km right now and stairs and hills are no problem. I'll start adding weight to my walks and training. Thanks! If you can do it so can I!
Happy new year!

Hi Kate, if you can do 18km, stairs and hills right now, something I sure couldn't do before I started - you'll be absolutely fine
Happy New Year to you too
Carla

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi!

Thanks!!!!

Hi Kate
I decided in September 2013 that I would walk in Sept/Oct. 2014. In November 2013, got my boots and pack and started walking, adding weight as I went along. At first I thought my boots were fine, but was having issues. Once I got a custom-fitted orthotic, I was on my way. I am almost 65 and never quite sure how my body would respond to walking many hours a day. The most I ever walked at home was approximately 2 hours and had some minor panic attacks at how it would all work out and would I be able to do this. I booked Orrison from SJPP because I knew I would be very jetlagged coming from the West Coast of Canada. It was a great decision, as I definitely knew I would be pushing it - fatigue-wise, trying to do SJPP to Roncevalles in one day. The first 4 1/2 days, I did not have a whole lot of feeling in my calves, but suddenly on a down-hill section, I was aware that my body had adjusted and was accepting the fact that I was asking it to walk 5 - 7 hours a day (with breaks of course). I have to honestly say that I was amazed that my body met the challenge and you are a lot younger than I. I felt myself getting stronger and stronger each day. Other than a few minor blisters on my left foot (darn that bunion anyway!), I completed my Camino in 33 days and definitely had allowed more time than that. Was going to spend an extra day in Leon and Burgos, but it was sort of like Forest Gump - you just have this desire to keep walking.

Make sure your boots feel good (there is a difference between just walking in your boots and walking carrying weight and if you have any issues, get properly fitted orthotics), take good poles (a Godsend I must say), keep your pack light ( you will figure this out as you go) and because you have the will and desire to do this - you will! I have done a fair bit of travelling in my life, but this was the most amazing journey I have ever taken. You are supposed to be doing this, or else the pull would not be so strong.

Wishing you the very best as you prepare.

Buen Camino,
Linda

How do you know you are ready?

When you find yourself at Barajas Airport having a cafe con leche and a bocadillo for breakfast, with your mochila under your chair, you are ready. ;)

After your therapy you'll be more ready than most. I agree with jeffnd. I was less ready the second time, and had a great Camino.
You'll do fine. It is natural to worry, just don't let it slow you down.

BTW, when we reached Santiago in October, we told everyone that was it, no more Camino for my wife and I. In December, we started talking about our next Camino. Be forewarned, this disease maybe incurable, and there seems to be only one treatment.

Buen Camino

Hi!

Thanks!!!!
Kate, I started off at the age of 64 mid March 2013. Had done very little training and until the day I started I had never had the pack on my back. I had not even considered what the weather would be like at that time of year. I think unprepared is the word we are looking for here and I still managed to get from Pamplona to Castrojeriz in around two weeks. Overweight, unfit and unprepared but I still had my flights booked and paid for almost 6 months in advance. Was I worried and afraid? You bet I was. I had never travelled anywhere without knowing where I would be laying my head at night so I was way outside my comfort zone. Just console yourself with the knowledge that you will not be alone and every other pilgrim on the way will be more than happy to help you if you need it. By the way, I went back a few months later and completed it. If I can do it with little preparation anyone can so cast aside the doubts book your flight and just do it. Will be starting again myself from St Jean on the 15th April so maybe we will meet somewhere along the trail, Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think all is said in the other Posts.
Still I would like a bit of my story.
I have to much weight, do not sport, and work long days. This would not be the perfect condition to walk the Camino. Still I have walked during my 3 weeks of holiday in 2013 a big part of the Camino.
During this time it was often very hard and I finished it on will power. It made me humble.
When I started the Camino I had to do it and I thought I had a reason for doing it. However looking back on 2014 I realize that the Camino walk has made me ready for very tough year. I learned that I can finish my plans and do not have to run from them.
So in addition to all that is written on your question, take into consideration that we are not able to look ahead, the future could store the reason for your walk.

Btw I am planning to back to the Camino in May 2015, together with my wife. It will be different as my 2013 walk, however it will be shared experience

Hi!

Thanks!!!!

Remember that walking the Camino is not about distance, it's about time. You should not worry about how fare you are able to walk, just concentrate in enjoying every step. If you are able to enjoy and feel good, you will reach your destination, even if you don't walk every step from A to B...

Hi, thinking of starting in Roncesvalles, I've heard the part before that is quite a bit more difficult.... So don't want to start off on a 'frustrating foot'! Haha
I think the part I'm most nervous about is being on my 'own'..... More so initially.

Thanks for your post!
One is never alone on the Camino unless you want to be. There is almost always someone within 5 minutes of you to say hi or Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Kate, I started off at the age of 64 mid March 2013. Had done very little training and until the day I started I had never had the pack on my back. I had not even considered what the weather would be like at that time of year. I think unprepared is the word we are looking for here and I still managed to get from Pamplona to Castrojeriz in around two weeks. Overweight, unfit and unprepared but I still had my flights booked and paid for almost 6 months in advance. Was I worried and afraid? You bet I was. I had never travelled anywhere without knowing where I would be laying my head at night so I was way outside my comfort zone. Just console yourself with the knowledge that you will not be alone and every other pilgrim on the way will be more than happy to help you if you need it. By the way, I went back a few months later and completed it. If I can do it with little preparation anyone can so cast aside the doubts book your flight and just do it. Will be starting again myself from St Jean on the 15th April so maybe we will meet somewhere along the trail, Buen Camino
That's great! Thanks for telling me your story. The more stories I hear the more strength and positivity I have. Started looking at flights and trying to decide how to get there.

Thanks! Maybe I'll see you there!

Hi!

Thanks!!!!
I was extremely apprehensive when I was preparing for my Camino. I've said this on other threads, but what kept me going were these words attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt, "Everyday do something that really scares you." Buen Camino.

Hi Kate
I decided in September 2013 that I would walk in Sept/Oct. 2014. In November 2013, got my boots and pack and started walking, adding weight as I went along. At first I thought my boots were fine, but was having issues. Once I got a custom-fitted orthotic, I was on my way. I am almost 65 and never quite sure how my body would respond to walking many hours a day. The most I ever walked at home was approximately 2 hours and had some minor panic attacks at how it would all work out and would I be able to do this. I booked Orrison from SJPP because I knew I would be very jetlagged coming from the West Coast of Canada. It was a great decision, as I definitely knew I would be pushing it - fatigue-wise, trying to do SJPP to Roncevalles in one day. The first 4 1/2 days, I did not have a whole lot of feeling in my calves, but suddenly on a down-hill section, I was aware that my body had adjusted and was accepting the fact that I was asking it to walk 5 - 7 hours a day (with breaks of course). I have to honestly say that I was amazed that my body met the challenge and you are a lot younger than I. I felt myself getting stronger and stronger each day. Other than a few minor blisters on my left foot (darn that bunion anyway!), I completed my Camino in 33 days and definitely had allowed more time than that. Was going to spend an extra day in Leon and Burgos, but it was sort of like Forest Gump - you just have this desire to keep walking.

Make sure your boots feel good (there is a difference between just walking in your boots and walking carrying weight and if you have any issues, get properly fitted orthotics), take good poles (a Godsend I must say), keep your pack light ( you will figure this out as you go) and because you have the will and desire to do this - you will! I have done a fair bit of travelling in my life, but this was the most amazing journey I have ever taken. You are supposed to be doing this, or else the pull would not be so strong.

Wishing you the very best as you prepare.

Buen Camino,
Linda
Thank you so much! I'm definitely starting to feel stronger in my thoughts.... Just need to book my tickets!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!

Thanks!!!!
My wife suffered a broken leg, just above the ankle, in late January 2013. After a 60 day rehab and gym work, we began our Camino in SJPDP in Sept 2013, finish Oct 2013.

Kate, have you decided your departure date? I'm from Vancouver and leave SJPP on May 20, 2015. Maybe we will meet on The Way! We're provincial neighbours!

My wife suffered a broken leg, just above the ankle, in late January 2013. After a 60 day rehab and gym work, we began our Camino in SJPDP in Sept 2013, finish Oct 2013.
Congrats!!! And thanks for the motivation!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kate, have you decided your departure date? I'm from Vancouver and leave SJPP on May 20, 2015. Maybe we will meet on The Way! We're provincial neighbours!
Hi! Haven't decided exactly but I'm thinking probably around 22 April. Maybe I'll see you along the way! .... I'm going to start slow!

Hi!

Thanks!!!!
Sounds like you are taking the correct steps to prepare. I also had serious doubts but I quickly became aware of the fact that everyone does. I was 65 on my first Camino and I did prepare and it paid off.

Most important thing I learned in those first three days was to just go at your own pace and you will be fine. I'm training now for a September return to start again in St Jean. Good luck and enjoy!

You are starting on my birthday Gail so have a vino tinto for me that evening por favor. This will be the first time in 3 years that I will not be having my birthday in Burgos as I am fed up with people using the "but you weren't here" excuse for no cards or pressies! :(

€149,-
Dear Kate, I have just completed my second Camino. two years ago I had to have a complete knee join replaced. I stuck to what the physio was giving me to do and regained full use within six months. As long as you start with just a few miles twice a week and gradually build it up you should be fine. For your Camino perhaps you should try on of the less rigorous ones. Avoid the Via Dela plata which includes lots of ascents and descents and you should be fine. Also about two weeks prior try a twenty mile hike with backpack. This should set you up nicely.
God Bless, David

Dear Kate, I have just completed my second Camino. two years ago I had to have a complete knee join replaced. I stuck to what the physio was giving me to do and regained full use within six months. As long as you start with just a few miles twice a week and gradually build it up you should be fine. For your Camino perhaps you should try on of the less rigorous ones. Avoid the Via Dela plata which includes lots of ascents and descents and you should be fine. Also about two weeks prior try a twenty mile hike with backpack. This should set you up nicely.
God Bless, David
Great! Thanks for the tips!

Hi!

Thanks!!!!

Hi Kate

We are currently walking/cycling the Camino Frances, we started on 15/12/14 and at the moment it is January 3 2015 and we are 2/3rds the way to Santiago! In prep for the Camino, a lot of the training etc we have found is done on the Camino itself! I had a cycling accident about 2 months before we left and we have actually done most of the Camino from Pamplona 90% cycling and 10% walking! Like you I did a lot of prep before I left and yes it did come in useful, but some of the terrain really is challenging but we have done it in stages and you do not realise how far you have gone till you sit down and add it up! It has been awesome to say the least, the whole pilgrim experience keeps you humble and grateful for so many things we take for granted. A good nights rest is your reward for a solid day of walking/cycling. We have seen some of the most amazing sights along the way, farmers, grapes, olives, beautiful Cathedrals, all sorts of Albergue styles ( a note here, if you are travelling in the winter it is wise to ask for a list of all the Albergues that are open before you plan your daily walk - most municipal albergues are open but not all - we got a list and took a photo on our phone - a very useful tip to save stress and concern). You are already ready to go on your Camino, there are many solo walkers that we have met and made friends with. It is awesome because we are all on the same journey to Santiago and we all share the same feelings, tiredness, etc. you will love it as we do! I will be sad when we get to Santiago because this has been a once in a lifetime experience that will help shape and define for me what is most important in life! Do it for yourself Kate, I wish you buen Camino Amigo
Much love and best wishes from two Camino de Santiago Kiwis (New Zealanders - Trish and Nav Rogers)

Let the training begin..lol.. Just stopped smoking today.. Long May it continue..lol.. I now have all the kit in need and luckily it comes in at 10 kilos.. Off to southern Spain in a week to train in the mountains there for a few months.. All flights and accommodation booked and I'm hooked...can't wait for the 1st May..wahoo!! Happy new year everyone and buen prep..for those that are starting around that time.. See you either in SJPDP or on the camino...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Let the training begin..lol.. Just stopped smoking today.. Long May it continue..lol.. I now have all the kit in need and luckily it comes in at 10 kilos.. Off to southern Spain in a week to train in the mountains there for a few months.. All flights and accommodation booked and I'm hooked...can't wait for the 1st May..wahoo!! Happy new year everyone and buen prep..for those that are starting around that time.. See you either in SJPDP or on the camino...
Good luck!
I hope to see you on the walk....I'll be there at a similar time!
Buen camino!

Hi Kate

We are currently walking/cycling the Camino Frances, we started on 15/12/14 and at the moment it is January 3 2015 and we are 2/3rds the way to Santiago! In prep for the Camino, a lot of the training etc we have found is done on the Camino itself! I had a cycling accident about 2 months before we left and we have actually done most of the Camino from Pamplona 90% cycling and 10% walking! Like you I did a lot of prep before I left and yes it did come in useful, but some of the terrain really is challenging but we have done it in stages and you do not realise how far you have gone till you sit down and add it up! It has been awesome to say the least, the whole pilgrim experience keeps you humble and grateful for so many things we take for granted. A good nights rest is your reward for a solid day of walking/cycling. We have seen some of the most amazing sights along the way, farmers, grapes, olives, beautiful Cathedrals, all sorts of Albergue styles ( a note here, if you are travelling in the winter it is wise to ask for a list of all the Albergues that are open before you plan your daily walk - most municipal albergues are open but not all - we got a list and took a photo on our phone - a very useful tip to save stress and concern). You are already ready to go on your Camino, there are many solo walkers that we have met and made friends with. It is awesome because we are all on the same journey to Santiago and we all share the same feelings, tiredness, etc. you will love it as we do! I will be sad when we get to Santiago because this has been a once in a lifetime experience that will help shape and define for me what is most important in life! Do it for yourself Kate, I wish you buen Camino Amigo
Much love and best wishes from two Camino de Santiago Kiwis (New Zealanders - Trish and Nav Rogers)
Wow! Thank you for the inspiring words! I'm hoping to book my flights in the next couple of weeks! Im already so excited to do it..... And as I'm learning from so many fantastic pilgrims..... You really do just need to do it, as we can only prepare and train so much!
Thanks..... And buen camino!

Not booked yet.... But hopefully soon.... Thinking maybe the end of April.... But maybe I'll see you there! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are starting on my birthday Gail so have a vino tinto for me that evening por favor. This will be the first time in 3 years that I will not be having my birthday in Burgos as I am fed up with people using the "but you weren't here" excuse for no cards or pressies! :(
I will have a glass for you too where ever I happen to be :) but then I will have a glass every night so a good excuse to have an extra one :). At the rate I walk I reckon I will toast your health in Maneru

I was supposed to walk it 2014 around the same time but was unable to as I broke my leg in early April. I'm interested in how other people dealt with all the worries/concerns before the walk? .... If they had any!!!? Thanks!!!!

Hi Kate, I am in no way long and tall, and thin. I walked for 17 days for 3 years without a single blister - ok, minus a toenail. Last fall, what may possibly a heel spur or plantear fasciitis. That's part of the Camino' job ;0). Because what I suffer from requires rest, I do not walk more than I have to. Oh, so improving the outline ;0) The bottom line is, ask your doc, physio, accupuncturist, what have you tell you what they think. After that decide to go or not. And when you get there, forget the destination, live in the moment. It's one step at a time. If you're uncertain, walk shorter days initially. On the Frances, you can walk very short distances on the Camino. Don't push yourself: the Camino will always be there, often calling you. I first walked in 2007, I only went back in 2012, but it kept calling. Put your toe in the sea and let it take you away - but remember, the sea is strong, we humans do not control it.

Get in the best condition you can. Then just DO it.
Listen to your body, every step of the way. Don't push. Don't sacrifice your health for a chance to walk tomorrow with new friends -- friends have a way of appearing and re-appearing, so let the Camino take care of that.
When you think it's time to quit, get a nice room and take a hot bath and sleep on it first, before you buy a ticket.
And if you really do come to the end of yourself, that is where the camino brought you. No shame.
Just give it your best shot. You won't regret it.

I would like to add the following comment to the wisdom above. In my observation, the doubts you have in the final week before departure probably fit into a different category than your general "Am I ready?" question. I have two journals from my first year of walking. The one I wrote at home which is basically "What do I think I am doing? How can I call myself a pilgrim? What is a pilgrim anyway? ... ?" and the journal I actually took with me. It's probably good to have those final doubts because it means you are taking this journey seriously.

Thank you so much! I'm definitely starting to feel stronger in my thoughts.... Just need to book my tickets!
Hi Kate... checking in to see if you've bought your tickets .... after reading heaps of posts over the last few days of people counting down the days till they set off on their Camino, I felt completely left out ... made a snap decision today to set off on 18 May this year for a 're-do' ... go on, you know you want too :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kate... checking in to see if you've bought your tickets .... after reading heaps of posts over the last few days of people counting down the days till they set off on their Camino, I felt completely left out ... made a snap decision today to set off on 18 May this year for a 're-do' ... go on, you know you want too :)
That's awesome! I haven't booked my tickets just yet.... But feb 1st (pay day) .... I do have my bag ready though! So I think that's a positive step forward. After the great responses I got from everyone.... I am definitely a lot less nervous! .... I want april/May to get here already!!! Haha.....
Thanks so much for checking in with me!!! I hope you have a great time on your trip!!!

Hi!

Just thought I'd let you know.... I bought my ticket! I leave 22nd April.... I plan to visit some family in alicante for a few days and then head to pamplona to start my walk! I am beyond words excited!!!!
Yuju!!!!

@KSM Kate that is great! I was just about to answer your original question "How do you know if you are ready" with : "When you buy your ticket" - and before I could post you have made the commitment. You are on your way.

€46,-
@KSM Kate that is great! I was just about to answer your original question "How do you know if you are ready" with : "When you buy your ticket" - and before I could post you have made the commitment. You are on your way.
Thanks!!! Yay!!!

Hi!

Just thought I'd let you know.... I bought my ticket! I leave 22nd April.... I plan to visit some family in alicante for a few days and then head to pamplona to start my walk! I am beyond words excited!!!!
Yuju!!!!
Kate, that's brilliant yay - now the excitement really starts :) now you need to change the info on your profile under Camino (s) past and future from "I plan to TRY and walk april / may 2015" to "I am walking / I'm on my way / I'm doing it! - Pamplona to SdC April / May 2015" ... good luck with all your final planning

How do you know if you're ready?
It's sort of like falling in love.
Hard to explain, but, you just know.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back