• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to manage new posts?

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
I usually click on the New Posts area of the forum and browse the topics. I am interested in some and completely disinterested in others, especially the "which brand of shoes to wear" and "how to take poles on a plane" ones. Those are obviously valid and interesting topics to other people though.

During the various international lockdowns browsing the New Posts topics was a valid strategy for me but now that people are starting to think about walking again there are now too many new posts for me to continue doing this, I simply don't have the time.

I have noticed that there is a small group of regular posters who I find write interesting posts and I have "follow"ed these people. There is also a tiny group of regular posters who I find that I am completely uninterested in reading their posts and I have blocked those people.

I had hoped that the "Filter" mechanism within the "New Posts" area of the forum would allow me to filter for new posts from people that I am following but I can't do that or at least I can't see how to do it.

Is there any other way for me to achieve this?

Alternatively, what strategies do other people use to keep up to date with new posts without having to browse every new post in every topic?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Doughnut NZ, this isn't really useful if you lack time but since you are a tech guy you might want to find the time to try this out.

I would likely handle this with a program run on a Linux system. I would use the wget command to get a text file of the HTML code making up the New Posts webpage. I would use PERL to filter out threads of no interest based on the category the thread is in and maybe by thread creator if in a Do Not Follow list. For each of the threads that remain I would use wget again to get a text copy of each thread to find the ones that had a post by someone in a Follow list. Using the information found I would create my own webpage with links to the threads of interest or possibly to particular posts within the thread.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The New Posts area is what it is, all the new post since you visited last... hopefully just browsing the titles, you should be able to see what topics is interesting to you and only click those.

If you see a thread that you would like to keep a closer eye on, I would consider licking the "watch" link in that thread (located at the top right of the first post in the thread). it looks like this:
Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 15.39.41.png

..once you click "watch" you will see this pop up:

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 15.40.00.png

...and you can choose to be notified by email or just a red "number" on the bell (top right in the menu bar) when there are new updates to these threads.

This is a way of only getting notified of threads/topics that you are interested in.

Hope this helps,
Ivar

The New Posts area is what it is, all the new post since you visited last... hopefully just browsing the titles, you should be able to see what topics is interesting to you and only click those.
That's how I read the forum. I have the "new posts" bookmarked on my phone and computer.
The news feed is very useful if you follow people. I've been cautiously experimenting with this for the first time recently, and find it often takes me places I would not otherwise find.
I haven't tried the News Feed option yet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Doughnut NZ, this isn't really useful if you lack time but since you are a tech guy you might want to find the time to try this out.

I would likely handle this with a program run on a Linux system. I would use the wget command to get a text file of the HTML code making up the New Posts webpage. I would use PERL to filter out threads of no interest based on the category the thread is in and maybe by thread creator if in a Do Not Follow list. For each of the threads that remain I would use wget again to get a text copy of each thread to find the ones that had a post by someone in a Follow list. Using the information found I would create my own webpage with links to the threads of interest or possibly to particular posts within the thread.
Wow @Rick of Rick and Peg this is outstanding! I don't have the time to do this at the moment as I am away from home and I currently only access the forum via my phone. I will tuck it away and have a go when I get back.

For me this post shows the value of other points of view.

I hadn't been thinking along these lines at all but now that you have prompted me all sorts of possibilities open up.

Thanks!

@Doughnut NZ you should love everyone equally, problem solved. 🥰
I do love everyone 😍, it is that if I read every post from everyone then I would be reading the Forum all day and my brain would turn to mush.

Thankfully for me, there are others who have taken on the role of repeatedly answering the same questions and topics that pop up regularly. The first time that I read a thread about boots vs shoes and poles on a plane it was interesting. The second time, not so much and after that, not at all interesting.

The people that I follow are regular posters and I find their posts are in areas that are of interest to me. I don't only read their posts but I use their good sense to point me to areas that will interest me and once in those threads I read everyone's comments.

As for the tiny group that I block, it really is very small and contains people who I think have deliberately tried to deceive others.

Thank you for reinforcing that alternative points of view have validity.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Alternatively, what strategies do other people use to keep up to date with new posts without having to browse every new post in every topic?
I go to the main Forums page. The Forums with new posts are bolded. I then go to the forums that interest me. Within those forums, the threads/discussions with new posts are also bolded and at the top (right after the pinned ones. I will then go into the threads that interest me. When you go into a thread with new (unread) posts, it drops you in right at the first unread post). When I've finished reading all the threads in a forum that interest me, if there are still threads with unread posts (that I didn't think worth opening up), I will click the button to mark the forum as "read". Then I will back up and move on to the next forum or sub-forum that interests me with unread posts.

This way I am not going through all the new posts in the site. I am just seeing the ones in forums and threads that interest me. But it is by subject, rather than posting person.

I do love everyone 😍, it is that if I read every post from everyone then I would be reading the Forum all day and my brain would turn to mush.

Thankfully for me, there are others who have taken on the role of repeatedly answering the same questions and topics that pop up regularly. The first time that I read a thread about boots vs shoes and poles on a plane it was interesting. The second time, not so much and after that, not at all interesting.

The people that I follow are regular posters and I find their posts are in areas that are of interest to me. I don't only read their posts but I use their good sense to point me to areas that will interest me and once in those threads I read everyone's comments.

As for the tiny group that I block, it really is very small and contains people who I think have deliberately tried to deceive others.

Thank you for reinforcing that alternative points of view have validity.

I had something of a ‘hair trigger’ on the ignore button for quite some time, but found that threads were turning into a digital version of Colin Crompton’s routine on The Wheeltappers’ and Shunters’ Social Club when his microphone worked intermittently (apologies to anyone not lowbrow, British and aged over 55; life’s too short to explain that reference).

I’ve since refined the list.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting bits of advise. I never click on "mark forums read"...maybe I will give it a try.
As you can tell, I am not very techy, which is why I appreciate so many of you on this forum. It goes beyond gear discussions, info on various Camino routes, and opinions on this, that, and the other.😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
“Your news feed” will list activities by people you follow. @Doughnut NZ if you only want to see those posts, that’s how to do it.
You may have to scroll through a whole load of your favorite users' likes of posts though, separating the posts you have seen and the ones you haven't, and also visiting the threads/posts that you favorite users have posted themselves. Personally this doesn't help me though I can see where this would work for others (thus my like of your post @Kanga).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.