• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to offer accommodation to pilgrims?

Capbreton

Hi pilgrims

We are a Dutch / Danish couple living in Capbreton, France (so on the Chemin de Tours).
We have a tiny cute little garden house with a double bed which is most of the time standing unused (it is our "guest room" and only used when family and friends come to visit us). It is very modest - but it is a good bed and we thought that we could offer it to pilgrims in desperate need of a place to sleep (free of charge or on a "pay as you like" basis). We do not have the means to dish up with meals or provide long baths - but we like to meet strangers and do have an unused comfortable bed, just standing there ...

So I would like to get your help and to hear your opinions on the following:

1. We live in a small house with two little children and would like to limit the access to the toilet, so that it would be "off limits" in the night. Is that realistic? If not, what if we offered an solution outside instead?

2. We're on a budget, so could not really offer shower to everybody stopping by - would that be ok?

3. Honestly - do you think it sounds like something that could of interest to pilgrims?

4. If yes, where and how could we "advertise" it?

Best
Ditte

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The best advertising would be to notify the amis et pelerins organization for the area. It may be the city or the province. They will put you on lists so that pilgrims, almost all of them French, will know what you are offering.

You have some issues of mutual inconvenience between host and guest, but you can work them out. Pilgrims are usually willing to live with restrictions.

Hi pilgrims

We are a Dutch / Danish couple living in Capbreton, France (so on the Chemin de Tours).
We have a tiny cute little garden house with a double bed which is most of the time standing unused (it is our "guest room" and only used when family and friends come to visit us). It is very modest - but it is a good bed and we thought that we could offer it to pilgrims in desperate need of a place to sleep (free of charge or on a "pay as you like" basis). We do not have the means to dish up with meals or provide long baths - but we like to meet strangers and do have an unused comfortable bed, just standing there ...

So I would like to get your help and to hear your opinions on the following:

1. We live in a small house with two little children and would like to limit the access to the toilet, so that it would be "off limits" in the night. Is that realistic? If not, what if we offered an solution outside instead?

2. We're on a budget, so could not really offer shower to everybody stopping by - would that be ok?

3. Honestly - do you think it sounds like something that could of interest to pilgrims?

4. If yes, where and how could we "advertise" it?

Best
Ditte
Bonjour!
Wonderful idea.
I feel you have already put it out there by posting it here on the forum.
With the facility to send a private message, you'll probably get some expressions of interest and requests for more details.
Good luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you all for your nice replies. So far nobody has said "No way I would stay there" ... so I think I will continue with the plan to open our house for pilgrims ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think it sounds lovely of you to offer. It is not that difficult to build an outdoor composting toilet. This would eliminate pilgrims coming in your house to use yours. Otherwise you might be creating some problems for yourselves. Perhaps you might consider that and maybe a picnic table so pilgrims have a place to at least sit and eat whatever food they brought with them. I for one ALWAYS have a little something to eat and am on the look out for a nice place to snack...
An outside source of drinking water would also be useful. All these things would facilitate pilgrims taking care of themselves so as not to trouble you.

I open my private home to pilgrims, also on a limited basis. You should go about this cautiously. I do not list my place as an albergue. I do not advertise or announce it on open pilgrim sites or with guidebooks -- they are very public. Best is to let your neighbors know, and when they see pilgrims they can pass the word to them. You can also put a modest sign at the entrance to your place, "Welcome Pilgrim," and offer the use of the little room after you have determined if they are credentialed pilgrims. Some will be happy with the charming offer, others will learn there is no food or bathroom offer and decide to keep moving. (without a toilet at night, they will "go" in your garden!)
It is a wonderful, generous thing you are considering. You will meet some lovely people, and your children will grow up with hospitality as a family trait.

I think it sounds lovely of you to offer. It is not that difficult to build an outdoor composting toilet. This would eliminate pilgrims coming in your house to use yours. Otherwise you might be creating some problems for yourselves. Perhaps you might consider that and maybe a picnic table so pilgrims have a place to at least sit and eat whatever food they brought with them. I for one ALWAYS have a little something to eat and am on the look out for a nice place to snack...
An outside source of drinking water would also be useful. All these things would facilitate pilgrims taking care of themselves so as not to trouble you.

Good points! Had thought about a composting toilet as well, water we have - but had not thought about a table - which is off course a must.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I open my private home to pilgrims, also on a limited basis. You should go about this cautiously. I do not list my place as an albergue. I do not advertise or announce it on open pilgrim sites or with guidebooks -- they are very public. Best is to let your neighbors know, and when they see pilgrims they can pass the word to them. You can also put a modest sign at the entrance to your place, "Welcome Pilgrim," and offer the use of the little room after you have determined if they are credentialed pilgrims. Some will be happy with the charming offer, others will learn there is no food or bathroom offer and decide to keep moving. (without a toilet at night, they will "go" in your garden!)
It is a wonderful, generous thing you are considering. You will meet some lovely people, and your children will grow up with hospitality as a family trait.

Rebekah - do you write "cautiously" because you think some "bad" people will misuse the hospitality?

Again - thanks for the answers.
In general I actually would like to open my home more, maybe invite people to eat with us - but with the two kids I know that I right now cannot promise that I would be able to that every night . Therefore I would do it on a "lets see what the day brings"-basis.
And as you write Rebekah - I think it will be a gift to show our kids to be welcoming to all kinds of people from all over the world ...

And let's not forget about the origin of the word hospitality. I read somewhere that it's root can be traced back to the Aramaic and translates to "Love of strangers"... Zip on up through time to two of the world's major spiritual communities through St. Benedict into the Medieval when hospitals were built to accommodate pilgrims (think Roncesvalles) etc... And what do we call folks volunteering their time in the albergues but hospitaleros...
Going back again to early Christians we find (at least according to legend) that Jesus did not just rely on the kindness of strangers but he taught lessons in unconditional love vis-a vis hospitality to "outsiders". In those days most people never travelled more than a few miles from their villages. Anyone who showed up in YOUR village that came from afar was often considered an outsider and treated with suspicion.
OK, I didn't mean to get all philosophical about it. BUT I will say that by providing hospitality to "friends we are meeting for the first time" you are engaging in spiritual practice.
How can that ever be wrong?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
hospitality
late 14c., "act of being hospitable," from O.Fr. hospitalité, from L. hospitalitem (gen. hospitalitas) "friendliness to guests," from hospes (gen. hospitis) "guest" (see host (1)).

Origin:
1325–75; Middle English hospitalite < Middle French < Latin hospitālitās, equivalent to hospitāli ( s ) (see hospital) + -tās -ty2

One of the loveliest things you come across on the French Caminos is a table set up under a tree, bearing a thermos, or jug of cordial, glasses, and sometimes some sweets, hard boiled eggs, or other simple provisions and a little sign offering refreshment to pilgrims. It is the most heart warming thing. Not actually the provisions themselves, just the thoughtfulness and the hospitality it offers. People are good.

Capbreton, I write about caution not so much about "bad" pilgrims, but about just sheer volume of respondents. Perhaps on your quieter camino it would not be a problem, but if I advertised my place, I would be overwhelmed with pilgrims, at least a couple of months per year. (I already am overwhelmed now and then, even with just word-of-mouth!)
Caution is needed with word choices. Posting yourself as "donativo" occasionally attracts not just sincerely impoverished pilgrims, but also well-off people who simply want to take advantage of your "something for nothing" offer. This is rare, but it is very corrosive and hurtful to your spirits.
You may also host the occasional drifter or homeless traveller. This sounds kinda scary, but I find them very genuine and decent, often very willing to work for their keep -- excellent guests, often superior in manners and helpfulness to the average pilgrim. (Some of them have their children with them; another good lesson for your children.)
You will learn what your limits are with trial and error, you will reap the benefits from the first day. Hospitalero-ing, for those with the calling, is a fabulously rewarding pursuit. I hope you give this a go; please consider me a resource, should you have any questions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Slightly off topic, but in the spirit of hospitality, goodwill and peace, can I put in a pitch here to those who do not live on a Camino path? Consider hosting an international exchange student in your home (voluntary hosting, not for profit). Our family hosted three year long exchange students (school age) and it was the most wonderful and rewarding experience. It taught us as a family and our children so much; too many to set down here. Not without hiccups but that is part of the learning. The cost in personal effort and a small financial one (extra food!) brought a bounteous harvest in knowledge, tolerance, understanding, problem solving, loving, sharing. As a consequence we now have "family" on three continents, and our children lovely sibling relationships with three extra people. Highly recommended, particularly if you have teenage children.

Again - thanks for the answers.
In general I actually would like to open my home more, maybe invite people to eat with us - but with the two kids I know that I right now cannot promise that I would be able to that every night . Therefore I would do it on a "lets see what the day brings"-basis.
And as you write Rebekah - I think it will be a gift to show our kids to be welcoming to all kinds of people from all over the world ...
Capbreton, I write about caution not so much about "bad" pilgrims, but about just sheer volume of respondents. Perhaps on your quieter camino it would not be a problem, but if I advertised my place, I would be overwhelmed with pilgrims, at least a couple of months per year. (I already am overwhelmed now and then, even with just word-of-mouth!)
Caution is needed with word choices. Posting yourself as "donativo" occasionally attracts not just sincerely impoverished pilgrims, but also well-off people who simply want to take advantage of your "something for nothing" offer. This is rare, but it is very corrosive and hurtful to your spirits.
You may also host the occasional drifter or homeless traveller. This sounds kinda scary, but I find them very genuine and decent, often very willing to work for their keep -- excellent guests, often superior in manners and helpfulness to the average pilgrim. (Some of them have their children with them; another good lesson for your children.)
You will learn what your limits are with trial and error, you will reap the benefits from the first day. Hospitalero-ing, for those with the calling, is a fabulously rewarding pursuit. I hope you give this a go; please consider me a resource, should you have any questions.
Thank you for your answer Rebekah ... I understand much better what you mean now. I am sure we will give it a go, as soon as we have made the necessary facilities ready! (And when I'm ready to welcome people, I will most likely contact you again Rebekah,with questions. Thank you for your help).

Slightly off topic, but in the spirit of hospitality, goodwill and peace, can I put in a pitch here to those who do not live on a Camino path? Consider hosting an international exchange student in your home (voluntary hosting, not for profit). Our family hosted three year long exchange students (school age) and it was the most wonderful and rewarding experience. It taught us as a family and our children so much; too many to set down here. Not without hiccups but that is part of the learning. The cost in personal effort and a small financial one (extra food!) brought a bounteous harvest in knowledge, tolerance, understanding, problem solving, loving, sharing. As a consequence we now have "family" on three continents, and our children lovely sibling relationships with three extra people. Highly recommended, particularly if you have teenage children.
Lovely idea. Would also like to do something like that, when my kids get bigger (and when we have a place big enough so that the student do not have to sleep on the couch :) )

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back