• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to organize a backpack:

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Time of past OR future Camino
3 French from St. Jean Pied Port, 3 Portuguese from Lisbon, 1 Portuguese from Porto, 1 Primitivo from Oviedo, 19 Lisbon - Fatima, 2 Porto - Fatima, 1 Coimbra - Fátima... Open the caminhos Nascente Fátima - Tomar, Poente Nazaré- Fátima, the north connection from Fátima to Ansião and Caminho Santiago central.
How to organize a backpack:
http://www.caminho.com.pt/mochila_e.html
equipamento2_e.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like the diagram.
Some of the items are debatable/unnecessary unless camping (mattress, pans) but I like the addition of reflective gear.
When walking along roadways these two items would be very helpful.

• Nice idea with packinglist in pictures. But ....
  • Folding-knife is not accepted in hand-luggage. And blade should be max 60 mm.
  • Poncho - too windy and not good for legs. Jacket + trousers + backcoverage is better!
  • 1,5 ltr bottle - more easy to handle 3 x 0,5 dl
  • Walking socks in double layer better than Vaseline!
  • Shorts - better with long trousers. Good at nights, can be rolled up or taken off in parts.
  • Flipflops - Sandals better as walking alternative and evening shoes. Always with protected toes like Keen-models.
  • Earprops. Good at dormitories!
  • Twinned rubber string to hang yr wet clothes on ...
  • Rubber plug for the sink. Washing clothes or make the dishes ...
  • Headlamp is very good. But also extra batteries (or loaded by the sun).

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like the diagram.
Some of the items are debatable/unnecessary unless camping (mattress, pans) but I like the addition of reflective gear.
When walking along roadways these two items would be very helpful.

Hi Kaixo, thank you for sharing your comments about the backpack.
If you only do pilgrimages in the main Caminhos where you can find restaurants and albergues in every town along the way you don´t need mattress or pans. But if you walk "other" Caminhos that aren´t crowded with pilgrims and you aren´t sure where you will sleep the next night, or well you will eat the next meal... you will be happy to carry this extra gear that will give you the basic comfort.

Thank you BoH for sharing your comments.
My comments follow your comments.

• Nice idea with packinglist in pictures. But ....
  • Folding-knife is not accepted in hand-luggage. And blade should be max 60 mm. - (The list its about what is needed in the Caminho, and not what isn't allowded on planes. Following your comments you are limited to what you can carry on hand-luggage on a plane. I organize my luggage like that when I´m traveling like a turist not has a pilgrim that will be walking in all kind of terrain and weather across different country's.)
  • Poncho - too windy and not good for legs. Jacket + trousers + backcoverage is better! - Do you have experience in walking all day in the rain? Because the backcoverage only covers the backpack, The space in between your back and the backpack its not protected. If you are walking all day in the rain that part of your backpack will work like big a sponge... If you understand Portuguese please these video explains that problem. https://www.facebook.com/amigosdocaminho/videos/vl.1857785501129307/1174286695922911/?type=1
  • 1,5 ltr bottle - more easy to handle 3 x 0,5 dl - I think its easy to fill 1 camel back than 3 bottles, to reach the Camel back "hose" than 3 bottles, One Camel back usually lasts 3 years, Imagine the number of bottles that you have to buy during that time, plus the environment impact on the Caminho...
  • Walking socks in double layer better than Vaseline! - Vaseline helps your skin to stretch and avoids abrasions.
    If you have dry or hard skin in you feet Vaseline will help to walk longer with less problems, like the oil in the engine. After a few days using Vaseline you stop needing it because your skin already has enough elasticity. Good walking Socks are always welcome
  • Shorts - better with long trousers. Good at nights, can be rolled up or taken off in parts. - Clothes depend on the season ... On these list are just examples. Each pilgrim will choose according to his tastes and needs.
  • Flipflops - Sandals better as walking alternative and evening shoes. Always with protected toes like Keen-models. No doubt sandals are a good alternative shoes. But they mean extra weight. Flipflops aren´t an alternative shoes for the Caminho, but they serve to protect your feet in the shower against feet skin diseases, dry faster and are lighter than sandals
  • Earprops. Good at dormitories! - Good Idea to add to this list
  • Twinned rubber string to hang yr wet clothes on ... Its very practical the first time. But Imagine If you have to redo the Twinned Rubber String every day. On the 3th day you stop doing redoing it and just use the rope.
  • Rubber plug for the sink. Washing clothes or make the dishes ... Do you carry all sizes of Rubber Plugs?
  • Headlamp is very good. But also extra batteries (or loaded by the sun). Most modern Headlamps use rechargeable bateries with usb plugs. You can you can use your mobile phone charger. No need for extra batteries.

As mentioned above, excellent presentation. Only comments:

1. The knife and walking stick CANNOT be transported in the aircraft cabin. Either check the rucksack, or obtain a knife and walking sticks on arrival. I use a nylon laundry bag to check my rucksack, works well. The sack can then become my rucksack liner after arrival, to help keep the contents dry.

2. The diagram does not include the multiples of certain items needed. For example extra socks, underwear and t-shirts. These take up space / volume.

3. I concur with 1.5 liters of water, but recommend using multiple .5 liter, easily replaceable and very lightweight bottles. They can be distributed to different places to balance weight.

4. In addition to what is shown in the diagram, each person will have more toiletry and medical items as befits their individual circumstances. For example,m the diagram does not show a toothbrush and toothpaste. I have to carry nearly 1 kg per week of special nutritional items. Then, there are the multiple medicines that some people must take daily.

But as a simple starting place to visualize everything, this was excellent. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This post has some real merit both in content and comment. One caution...well maybe more than one:
1. What to carry on Camino can be very subjective. Depending on time of year, which route and personal wants.
2. Personal wants...if you are taking “might needs” remember this is the Camino (rural civilization). Not the Appalachian Trail ( backwoods trekking).
3. Objectivity speaking...the ideal is to complete your Camino healthy, or healthier than you began...both physically and spiritually.
4. My opinion...the larger your pack the more you will try to fill it. Should your pack ( excluding water) weigh more than 20 lbs/9kg you are likely carrying items in #2.
5. Lastly, let’s not allow personal pique to devolve this thread to a direction none want it to go.
Arn

As mentioned above, excellent presentation. Only comments:

1. The knife and walking stick CANNOT be transported in the aircraft cabin. Either check the rucksack, or obtain a knife and walking sticks on arrival. I use a nylon laundry bag to check my rucksack, works well. The sack can then become my rucksack liner after arrival, to help keep the contents dry.

2. The diagram does not include the multiples of certain items needed. For example extra socks, underwear and t-shirts. These take up space / volume.

3. I concur with 1.5 liters of water, but recommend using multiple .5 liter, easily replaceable and very lightweight bottles. They can be distributed to different places to balance weight.

4. In addition to what is shown in the diagram, each person will have more toiletry and medical items as befits their individual circumstances. For example,m the diagram does not show a toothbrush and toothpaste. I have to carry nearly 1 kg per week of special nutritional items. Then, there are the multiple medicines that some people must take daily.

But as a simple starting place to visualize everything, this was excellent. Thank you.

Thank you Andreo for your comments with useful tips: Each pilgrim, season, caminho, age... demands different needs. This list belongs to the website http://www.caminho.com.pt/index_e.html of the Associação de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima aiming to help pilgrims that are planning to do the first Caminho. On this pilgrim society we try to make a difference and improve the caminho. The water bottles is a good example... if we promote the use of disposable water bottles we will end up with more garbage on the Caminho and more environment impact. So we promote the use Camel Back´s that lasts longer and have less impact on the Caminho.

About the concerns with what can´t be transported in the plane cabin... I believe that the rules will be harder in the future. Allowing this plane rules to change your life in a pilgrimage doesn't match my Caminho.

About what we can carry on our backpacks we have a say in Portugal "Albarda-se o burro à vontade do dono" - Lose translation: "You load the donkey according to the owner's will"
Each pilgrim learns really fast what he or she can carry on its backpack. :)

Thank you for your tips

Last edited:
This post has some real merit both in content and comment. One caution...well maybe more than one:
1. What to carry on Camino can be very subjective. Depending on time of year, which route and personal wants.
2. Personal wants...if you are taking “might needs” remember this is the Camino (rural civilization). Not the Appalachian Trail ( backwoods trekking).
3. Objectivity speaking...the ideal is to complete your Camino healthy, or healthier than you began...both physically and spiritually.
4. My opinion...the larger your pack the more you will try to fill it. Should your pack ( excluding water) weigh more than 20 lbs/9kg you are likely carrying items in #2.
5. Lastly, let’s not allow personal pique to devolve this thread to a direction none want it to go.
Arn

Thank you for your wise comments

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The time of year makes a huge difference. This morning I walked a 20km stage of the Via de la Plata wearing 4 layers on my upper body and without once stopping to drink. My 0.5l water bottle was untouched. If I had tried the same stage in September or October I would have been foolish to start without 2L of water in my pack. Walking the less popular routes with less infrastructure such as water taps really does demand some preparation. I do find some of the casual advice given by those who have only walked the Camino Frances very ill-informed.

I tend to use very light nylon bags to organize things. For instance, I have a SegSac for clothing and toiletries go in this bag as well (in a plastic bag, so, when walking for the day is over, I drop my pack, pull out the Segsac and head for the shower.

After this, I can wash the day's clothing and hang to dry. So, in short order, I am prepared for either a nap or off to explore the village.

In addition, I use specific dry bags for meds / electronics providing specialized protection within the pack. Again, no digging necessary to find items, just grab the bag needed.

The time of year makes a huge difference. This morning I walked a 20km stage of the Via de la Plata wearing 4 layers on my upper body and without once stopping to drink. My 0.5l water bottle was untouched. If I had tried the same stage in September or October I would have been foolish to start without 2L of water in my pack. Walking the less popular routes with less infrastructure such as water taps really does demand some preparation. I do find some of the casual advice given by those who have only walked the Camino Frances very ill-informed.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Its really important to understand that the caminho its made of many perspectives.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I tend to use very light nylon bags to organize things. For instance, I have a SegSac for clothing and toiletries go in this bag as well (in a plastic bag, so, when walking for the day is over, I drop my pack, pull out the Segsac and head for the shower.

After this, I can wash the day's clothing and hang to dry. So, in short order, I am prepared for either a nap or off to explore the village.

In addition, I use specific dry bags for meds / electronics providing specialized protection within the pack. Again, no digging necessary to find items, just grab the bag needed.

Thanks Michelle for the wise tips

This diagram is great. If you need more help, refer to To Walk Far, Carry Less by Jean-Christie Ashmore. The book is a valuable resource for all things Camino.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 3
I have done five caminos and will do my sixth in April. It literally took me four years to learn how to pack and what to bring and not.

So, do not worry if you fail to get it right the first time. My single piece of advice is to read this forum, search it, ask questions. With any luck, you will not repeat our errors.

That said, and someone did mention it above,"everyone does their own Camino. No other pilgrim or person has any standing or right to judge the manner in which you accomplish your Camino." In the end, it is each pilgrim who benefits or suffers from their decisions. But those are the decisions they made.

We call that Camino Rule Number One. You will learn the other handful of informal yet quite established rules as you go along. I wish you a "Buen Camino."

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have done five caminos and will do my sixth in April. It literally took me four years to learn how to pack and what to bring and not.

So, do not worry if you fail to get it right the first time. My single piece of advice is to read this forum, search it, ask questions. With any luck, you will not repeat our errors.

That said, and someone did mention it above,"everyone does their own Camino. No other pilgrim o person has any standing or right to judge the manner in which you accomplish your Camino." In the end, it is each pilgrim who benefits or suffers from their decisions. But those are the decisions they made.

We call that Camino Rule Number One. You will learn the other handful of informal yet quite established rules as you go along. I wish you a "Buen Camino."

Hope this helps.
Andreo thanks a lot for sharing your inner caminho with wise words. In Portugal we have a big challenge concerning the pilgrim's. Almost every year one or more pilgrims die on the National Roads run over by cars. They walk long journeys on dangerous National Roads of 50 or 60km per day with no backpack to Fátima. In our pilgrim Association we work to save lifes and take this pilgrims out of the National Roads. Inviting them try safer Caminhos. In the website we provide the basic information how to prepare a backpack. Hoping this information will help them to make better pilgrim decisions. After 33 pilgrimages I hope to keep learning and sharing... It means that I´m on the Caminho. Bom Caminho.

I must thank your group profoundly for the excellent job of marking with arrows they do. Last April and May, I walked from Lisboa to Santiago. Along the way, I noticed how good the markings were, both in blue (towards Fatima) and yellow (towards Santiago. In particular, coming out of Porto, the arrows all appeared to be freshly painted.

As I was walking and afterwards, I told everyone I could just how good the markings were in Portugal. I especially appreciated the yellow "X" used to mark the incorrect or wrong way at a junction.

Thank you again, very much.

I must thank your group profoundly for the excellent job of marking with arrows they do. Last April and May, I walked from Lisboa to Santiago. Along the way, I noticed how good the markings were, both in blue (towards Fatima) and yellow (towards Santiago. In particular, coming out of Porto, the arrows all appeared to be freshly painted.

As I was walking and afterwards, I told everyone I could just how good the markings were in Portugal. I especially appreciated the yellow "X" used to mark the incorrect or wrong way at a junction.

Thank you again, very much.

Dear Andreo its so special to get your feedback. After more than 5.000 arrows painted over the last 10 years it becomes a salient mission. Giving back to other pilgrims what we have received in other Caminhos. Just for pilgrim fun check this photos, maybe you will remenber parts of your caminho in Portugal https://www.facebook.com/pg/amigosdocaminho/photos/?ref=page_internal

Thank you for your support words.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.