• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to Post Photos (Large Files?)

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Greetings - I have a number of photos that I took on my first Camino attempt that I wanted to share (yes real kind of me?). However as they are around 5 mb they are rejected as too large. Now I am not a computer or photographic nerd so any offers of assistance or instructions should be as simple and easy to understand as possible.
A big thankyou in advance for any suggestions (despite the above restrictions). Cheers:confused:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Greetings - I have a number of photos that I took on my first Camino attempt that I wanted to share (yes real kind of me?). However as they are around 5 mb they are rejected as too large. Now I am not a computer or photographic nerd so any offers of assistance or instructions should be as simple and easy to understand as possible.
A big thankyou in advance for any suggestions (despite the above restrictions). Cheers:confused:
Look for a program or app that will resize your pictures. I found one for my android phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most image editors will cut the files down. However even then they are often too large and slow loading for those on limited bandwidth.
If you load them to the forum at the size permitted and select to post them as thumbnails then those reading the posts can load the ones they want to see without loading the whole set every time. There is nothing more frustrating than reloading a whole thread of large slow loading files :(:eek:.
There are also the on-line photo albums as @Robo has suggested and then paste the link, although the thumbnails in the post are more of an incentive to look at the full size photo :).

Now I am not a computer or photographic nerd so any offers of assistance or instructions should be as simple and easy to understand as possible.
This is not my usual method but I've done it this way and it works without having to use an app or learn much. On a phone or a tablet bring up the photo. Zoom in and move the picture around to essentially crop it and get just the interesting parts in. Then do a screensave and send that into the forum. You can do something similar on a computer. The screensave might be in a .png file format instead of a .jpg or .jpeg but I don't think that matters to forum software.

[Edit: I wasn't thinking straight. The method above works to shrink the image size (e.g. from 8.3 mega-pixels to 2.1 mega-pixels) but because the .png format saves more information than a .jpg the file size (in MB/ mega-bytes) is likely to still be too large. I'll look into this further.]

[Further edit: For android I couldn't find a simple way of converting the .png saved with the screen saver into the space saving .jpg format without downloading a conversion app (and in that case you may as well download a full image editor.) Things might work out better with Apple products.]

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The best way I know to share photos in all their splendour is to reduce their resolution, not their dimensions. A good starting point is 72 DPI (print quality is usually around 240 DPI). This will reduce their file size and allow them to look great onscreen. They won’t print well but that’s not your challenge here. Open them in whatever program you used to get them off your camera and on to your computer. There is typically a ‘save as’ function even on the most basic. Choose medium quality or if an option, choose something around 1400-2048 pixels (2048 being the highest pixel rate that Facebook wont compress) on the ‘long edge’. Depending on your cameras native resolution that should take you well within the forum’s upload criteria. Another feature many photo editors have is ‘save for web’ which will do most of the above automatically. Good luck.

Thank you one & all. As these are old photos, 2013, they are on the brand new super fast computer. So I think will make some copies and start playing around till I get one I can post. I think I have done the thumbnail job before! Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is my low tech workaround. I select or open the photo and send it to myself as a message. My phone and/or tablet automatically reduces the pixels to make the photo suitable for sending as a message. I then save either the sent photo or simply save the photo that has been converted ready to send.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.