• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to post photos

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
[edited by Ivar]

Posting Photos,

Because some new members or even members who have been here a bit, have questions about this whole process. I thought it would be useful to have post this to avoid people making extra threads.

You are posting a story of your Camino and as you type out the words in your post you realise that you have no clue how to put any of your beautiful pictures in your posts!

1. The first thing you need to make sure is to have your pictures uploaded to your computer and know the directory they are in. Just be able to find the folder that they are in. Now alter the size of the picture or make a copy so that it is no more than 600 pixels wide, this makes the pages no larger than normal.

2.To attach the photo (.jpg, .gif or .png) to the post itself, follow these steps:
1. When you are typing your message, under the "Submit" button there is a "Upload attachment" tab. Click it.
2. Click "Browse" and find the photo on your computer.
3. Click "Add the file". (wait for it to be uploaded, may take a few seconds)

Now when you have finished typing your message, click the "Submit" button and your message and photo will be submitted.

Thank you William for helping me typing parts of this up. I hope it is helpful. If you have any questions, please reply to this post and ask it here.

Un saludo,
Ivar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I always feel like the village idiot when I try to deal with tech questions (at least when my kids aren't here to walk me through it). I have tried for about 45 minutes to follow these instructions, because I have just one picture I would like to put on a thread. But to no avail -- though I'm sure I've uploaded this picture in a million different places, I can't seem to get it onto a post. I've tried both alternatives you've given, but I just can't do it. Does it make a difference that the picture I'm trying to upload is one of about 50 or so in a Picasa folder on my computer?

I think maybe one thing I don't understand is if I should try to upload it to the forum thread from Picasa on my computer or Picasa on the web.

Sorry to be so dense, hoping someone can help me, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
I always feel like the village idiot when I try to deal with tech questions (at least when my kids aren't here to walk me through it). I have tried for about 45 minutes to follow these instructions, because I have just one picture I would like to put on a thread. But to no avail -- though I'm sure I've uploaded this picture in a million different places, I can't seem to get it onto a post. I've tried both alternatives you've given, but I just can't do it. Does it make a difference that the picture I'm trying to upload is one of about 50 or so in a Picasa folder on my computer?

I think maybe one thing I don't understand is if I should try to upload it to the forum thread from Picasa on my computer or Picasa on the web.

Sorry to be so dense, hoping someone can help me, Laurie
Hi Laurie,

Let me give it a try:

1) When you are typing up a new post, scroll down and find the "Upload attachment" tab as seen on the image above. Click it.
Then you will see:

2) Then click the "Browse button" and select the image on your computer that you would like to upload. If the image comes right from your camera it will be very large, you might need to create a smaller one using Picasa.
3) After the image is selected, you click the "Add the file" button to add the file to the post.
4) Then you write your post and save it and the image should appear in your post.

... Let me know how it goes.

Saludos,
Ivar

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 2,201
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,202
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some may have trouble uploading photos because they are too large-megapixel speaking.I take photos at 6 mega pixels so I need to reduce this-I use pixelresixer,very easy to use.

Thank you Ivar and Omar,

I have tried and tried. I have gotten to the point of the second screen Ivar pasted in -- that is, I can browse and find the picture and paste the file name in. But when I try to add the file, it is too big. And I can't figure out how to reduce the pixels.

When I upload pictures from Picasa onto the web directly (I use Picasaweb), it gives me an option about the size of the file, 1600, 1024 or 640 pixels. But when I get to the picture through the upload attachment button on the pilgrim forum, the computer doesn't take me to Picasa, but rather it takes me to my documents/etc etc and I can't figure out how to change the size of the picture at that stage. Does this make sense?

Sorry. I should warn you that I am the person my tech guys at work use as the lowest common denominator for deciding whether to send around any particular tech-related announcement or instructions. I always get the draft documents first, and if I can understand the instructions and perform the operation, then the document gets mailed to everyone. If not, they very patiently walk me through it and we revise the document so people like me can understand. Nowyou know what you're dealing with.

thanks, Laurie

ok - let me have a go at this - in the spirit of one IT illiterate to another!

Laurie I had the same problem. Here goes:

1 Find the photo on your computer - it is in a folder somewhere

2 Right click on it and go to "Open with"

3 Select a programme to open it - I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager

4 It will then open in the Picture Manager - click on "Picture" at the top of the page then "resize"

5 On the right hand side it will give a choice of sizes - I tend to use the drop down menu and pick either "e mail large" or "e mail small"

6 Click OK then file "save as" - save it under a new name

7 Follow Ivar's instructions and up load it.

I think (imho!) the step that you are missing is using a programme to "resize" your pics - there are a number of these - Microsoft Office Picutre Manager was on my PC. Omar recently mentioned another one Pixresizer http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm. If you don't already have a programme to resize on your PC you need to downlaod one such as Pixresizer and having done so select that programme when you Right click on your photo and it says "open with".

I now wait with bated breath....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just to add more muck to the mix... There is a new and clever little gadget by microsoft called "picture resizer". It is one of their "Power Toys" and it is a free download. If you google micrisoft picture resizer you can get it in a second. It really doesn't show up anywhere on your computer, until you right click on a photo and then it magically appears. C'mon guys, you know half of this computer stuff is magic anyway! Just click on the size you want (probably small) and voilá... picture for the forum! It automatically saves a remaned (small) copy right next to the original in your folder! EZ even for luddites! Of which I am one as well! Apparently it is desogned specifically for resizing photos for newsletters, websites, blogs, etc.

Buen Camino

Okay, then... when I have my photo selected and hit "attach," i get an error message in red saying "sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." What does that mean?

Reb.

Rebekah Scott said:
Okay, then... when I have my photo selected and hit "attach," i get an error message in red saying "sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." What does that mean?

Reb.
I have now "upped" the quota... we may have reached 50MB of attachments in the forum (the limit was set to 50MB).

In short, try again now.

Also remember that each file can not be larger than 500KB (half a megabyte)....and a max of 3 attachments per post....

Let me know how it goes...

Saludos,
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK, going to try again because I was getting the same message as Rebekah.
This was to be under the thread "Is it Safe?"

Attachments

• 2658_1119676305487_1034409183_37-1.jpg
    2658_1119676305487_1034409183_37-1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,886
ivar said:
Now alter the size of the picture
Reseizing was a big problem to me until by trial and error I found a trick: mail the picture to yourself and Outlook does the job by transforming the picture into a pdf document that in my case is mostly small enough for this forum.

I use Picasa 3 but rightclicking my already stored pictures offers many options except --talking about user-friendliness-- reseizing! So how and anywhere else can one reseize one's pictures? Anyone?

Lilli that photo is a scream, literally!! And my baby bro wonders why I stay up here in Jersey! Puhlease!! I'll take attitude (ie road rage etc) over them gators anyday!! Although now that winter is over, I do need a new purse and shoes...hmmmm :D

Karin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: How to post photos - Reseizing pictures

Following Re: How to post photos on March 25th, 2009, 11:08 am on frequently-asked-questions/topic3251.html#p32792 I just found by trial and error how to reseize pictures for posting onto this forum.

My English is not good enough [though I tried here and there below] and I wouldn't use babblefish in this high tech case anyway, so anyone for a proper translation, please?

My pictures are stored in Picasa 3 so that's where this manual starts:

Right-click on the picture you want to reseize > Openen met [Open with?] > Microsoft Office Picture Manager > Afbeeldingen bewerken [Adjust pictures?] > Formaat wijzigen [Change format?] > Percentage van oorspronkelijke breedte x hoogte [Percentage original width x height?] > scroll down from 100% to less than say 600 pixels (e.g. 587 x 435 pixels) > OK > Bestand (top left corner on your screen) [File?] > Opslaan als [Save as?] > add "small" into the title of the picture (next to the .jpg extension) > Opslaan [Save?] > see the new picture going to Picasa 3.

Now it has been reseized from 100% = 2,4 MB or 3888x2600 into 15% = 89.32 KB or 583x390 pixels.

Go to your Santiagoforum post > Edit > scroll down to Upload Attachement > Bladeren [Browse?] > Picasa 3 > double-left-click on the new (smaller) picture > Add to the file > Preview > Submit and ... bingo!

I practised on this picture from the plaster copy of the Pórtico de la Gloria in London (courtesy of Gareth Thomas); see Re: The Santiago Enigma by Gareth Thomas on March 29th, 2008, 11:37 pm on miscellaneous-about-santiago/topic3794.html#p20890 :
"I have just come back from a remarkable experience. Astonishing really, to be standing in front of Maestro Mateo's 'Portico de la Gloria' today in London. I was in the Victoria & Albert Museum, so of course I refer to the copy: a full-size plaster cast."
Here in Holland we're still very interested in what the horizontal handle of this intact Saint James's Tau staff depicts! See No cameras on the scaffold in the Pórtico de la Gloria! on miscellaneous-topics/topic5719.html?hilit=tau#p34766 :
Is that a bear or a dog's face?
Anyone?
Thanks!
Enjoy!

PS: More on the Tau staff in Georgiana's Gems #4 Santiago's tau staff by PILGRIMSPLAZA on August 24th, 2008, 1:58 am on pilgrim-books/topic4589.html

Attachments

• Saint James T-staff intact Portico London 072 small.jpg
    Saint James T-staff intact Portico London 072 small.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,558
Though I have tried to follow this advice several times for the last few years, I've never been successful. I'm hoping that I have figured it out, and this is my test, so let's see if I've done it. Sorry to bother everyone.

If a picture appears here, I will be very happy.

[attachment=0]split for Hospitales.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• split for Hospitales.jpg
    split for Hospitales.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 741
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
peregrina2000 said:
I think I will pat myself on the back. Now if I can only remember this when I get home and try to post a picture that's on my home computer. :)

Well Done, Peregrina, persevering for 5yrs to post a pic :D

This is great news/instructions, & saves using photobucket or similar :mrgreen:

[edited by Ivar]

Posting Photos,

Because some new members or even members who have been here a bit, have questions about this whole process. I thought it would be useful to have post this to avoid people making extra threads.

You are posting a story of your Camino and as you type out the words in your post you realise that you have no clue how to put any of your beautiful pictures in your posts!

1. The first thing you need to make sure is to have your pictures uploaded to your computer and know the directory they are in. Just be able to find the folder that they are in. Now alter the size of the picture or make a copy so that it is no more than 600 pixels wide, this makes the pages no larger than normal.

2.To attach the photo (.jpg, .gif or .png) to the post itself, follow these steps:
1. When you are typing your message, under the "Submit" button there is a "Upload attachment" tab. Click it.
2. Click "Browse" and find the photo on your computer.
3. Click "Add the file". (wait for it to be uploaded, may take a few seconds)

Now when you have finished typing your message, click the "Submit" button and your message and photo will be submitted.

Thank you William for helping me typing parts of this up. I hope it is helpful. If you have any questions, please reply to this post and ask it here.

Un saludo,
Ivar

Hi Ivar,

I tried several times to upload the photos but when i click on save media, i always get the message" server error, try again later." What am i doing wrong?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Ivar,

I tried several times to upload the photos but when i click on save media, i always get the message" server error, try again later." What am i doing wrong?
Hi there,

I saw that you now have posted some photos... I think the server was having a bad moment this morning... I saw it had a few error messages. So I don't think you did anything wrong... I will have a look and see what might be the problem.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.