• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How To Prepare For Bedbugs?

Nienke91

Time of past OR future Camino
1st time Camino Frances - 11 april
Hi all,

Tomorrow I will leave and I'll arrive at St. Jean on Tuesday's. I have packed my stuff, but I forgot about little animals (bedbugs & mosquitos).

I'll still have some time tomorrow to prepare a how-to-plan when it comes to these insects. What do you suggests I'll bring? I've read about permethrin, but this is not legal to buy in the Netherlands.
My backpack is made of uhm I think cotton, and can not be washed (it is quite an old one).

I am a bit worried about those little buggers now so I would love to hear your last minute tips!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Nienke.
Although I can't help you with your question as I'm new to this too and have no experience on the little blighters, I just wanted to drop by to say hi as I'm leaving tomorrow too and I'll also arrive in SJPDP on Tuesday. May bump into you. Buen Camino

Hi Nienke,
If you do encounter mosquitoes, they will be no worse than when walking in the countryside in your country..... Do you worry about them there?
Bedbugs well you may encounter them, you may not. I have walked i think 3400 km on caminos in Spain and I have been bitten ONCE.
It's not worth worrying about now you're about to go; as advised by a previous poster, just read the advice on the forum so you do not carry them back home.
Enjoy the camino :)

Hi Nienke.
Although I can't help you with your question as I'm new to this too and have no experience on the little blighters, I just wanted to drop by to say hi as I'm leaving tomorrow too and I'll also arrive in SJPDP on Tuesday. May bump into you. Buen Camino
Buen Camino to you too! I am staying the first night in the Alburgue du Pelegrín at SJPDP :) Not sure if I am gonna stay for maybe two days, because I still have to settle down from the stress I endured over the past weeks. Hope to see you there!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great, I'll look out for you. I should arrive in SJPDP around midday and I'm staying at the Gite Izaxulo. I then starting walking on the 12th to Orrison. I'm staying there that night..
Like you, I'm planning on taking it slowly the first few days..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi! Over 130 Camino days in Spain/ France. No bedbugs!

Had an issue in a small hotel in Austria, close to Innsbruck, just off Jacobs-Weg.

A few bites.

Don't overthink Buen Camino.

D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, no need to 'worry' about them out there. (They're there but they won't 'hurt' you) Just take precautions when you get home so you don't allow them into your house or it becomes an exercise in mental health trying to get rid of them.

In my experience........and the little buggers did like me......they are hard to avoid. If they go for you, they go for you. To treat the itch, have some tea tree oil. The folks running the albergue will know what to do with you and your stuff. It's early in the season, so don't worry overmuch. I did the premetherin and still got bit so I'm pretty fatalistic about them. The hospitaleros have already planned for the worst, so just hope for the best.

I walked in September and October. I didn't encounter mosquitoes or bed bugs, although I met someone who did have a problem with bed bugs. My approach is to carefully check the mattress before putting anything on it. I would check the underside, the seams and underneath the sheets to look for blood stains. With all of that, I never saw evidence of bed bugs, so I can't honestly tell you that my approach prevented me from getting bed bugs. I was considering permethrin but opted against it. I even went so far as to buy a can of it, but it still sits unused today. I did use a sleeping bag on my Camino. I've heard some say that using a sleeping bag gives you some protection. I can't vouch for that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you arrive at SJPdP go into a farmacia and buy a spraybox of CLAKO.
Spray your backpack inside and outside.(outdoors please!).
Protects your backpack from the bugs to some degree if you cross upon them. Bring a big plastic bag to put your bp in at the albergues. This might prevent you from bringing them with you either to your home or another albergue.
I been frequently on the camino for 13 years without seeing them but I do this anyway+ a lot more to protect me from bringing them home, like I do on any other sort of travelling, hotelstay etc.

I never saw either bedbugs or mosquitoes on over 120 days on the Camino Frances between June and September.
I wouldn't worry about them.
ultreia
sorry uterial but that's like burying your head in the sand. I will be doing my tenth Camino in June and have seen them on others...such as bites and they do exist. Prevention is import. I use permetherin not legal in Canada so I go to the USA to purchase it . While two of my friends gothe bugs I was spared due to this product.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
sorry uterial but that's like burying your head in the sand. I will be doing my tenth Camino in June and have seen them on others...such as bites and they do exist. Prevention is import. I use permetherin not legal in Canada so I go to the USA to purchase it . While two of my friends gothe bugs I was spared due to this product.
Burying my head in the sand? Ha ha. Not hardly, dude. Either I saw the insects or I didn't while walking the Camino, and well, ummm, I didn't. So to me they are a non-issue and not one that I would fret about needlessly and douse my body and equipment with toxic, possibly carcinogenic liquids.
I figure one of the great things about doing a long walk like the Camino is letting go of stress and worries. Those are the real things that bite you in the six. Not bedbugs or mosquitoes. ;)

I am also much worried of the bugs, starting the camino from May 8th, because many pilgrims have posted this problem of bugs in albergues.
I would like to share the recommendation to use a poncho on the bed before you lay your sleeping bag on it, although I am not sure if it works.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you really want to feel that you're doing something about the wee beasties, get a small spray bottle and fill with about 20 drops of essence of lavender oil and water. shake up, and spray on and around the bed before putting anything on it. Wait for about 15 minutes, and IF there are bedbugs they will come up to the top -- they apparently don't like the smell. It doesn't kill them, just makes them visible. You might occasionally spray the inside of your pack while you're at it -- just check with the folks in the beds around you to be sure they don't have a problem with lavender...
Buen Camino!
Terry

Well bed bugs or not, I'm all packed for the final time (I'll miss my little daily ritual of packing, unpacking, packing....not). Off to catch my flight... Yey...
Buen Camino to you all and thank you for all your tips. Xx

Hi Nienke,
If you do encounter mosquitoes, they will be no worse than when walking in the countryside in your country..... Do you worry about them there?
Bedbugs well you may encounter them, you may not. I have walked i think 3400 km on caminos in Spain and I have been bitten ONCE.
It's not worth worrying about now you're about to go; as advised by a previous poster, just read the advice on the forum so you do not carry them back home.
Enjoy the camino :)

And you also stayed in hos
Well bed bugs or not, I'm all packed for the final time (I'll miss my little daily ritual of packing, unpacking, packing....not). Off to catch my flight... Yey...

I share your feelings and thoughts. I'm leaving in a few hours as well to stay for one night in Brussels. Have a safe travel, enjoy the excitement you'll feel and have a great Camino! :D

€149,-
Thank you all for your replies! I think I'm gonna do what I normally do: 'let it go'. Nothing can fully prepare me for bedbugs, I guess. And when it happens, it happens. I will check the matrass every day and once I get bitten I will check and ask around what I can do to not take them to my next venue. But most of all, I'm just gonna stay positive that the bedbugs won't eat me... :) (I will check for Clako once I arrive in SJPDP though)

Leaving today for Brussels, maybe I'll find my first bedbug there? (I'll leave it in Belgium, I promise) ;)
Buen Camino (still have to learn how to pronounce this correctly, ha!)

Love Clako. I've even tried to buy it in bulk to make it worth importing to Australia. Even though it is probably made from Australian chrysanthemums.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good news. You get to keep packing and unpacking everyday.
I never thought of that.. oh dear. At least now I won't be hyperventilating all hours of the night thinking of what I haven't packed.. I've got what I've got now and I'm now taking anything else. My backpack was 12kilos at the airports but I think they overweigh luggage (hope so anyway) ...:(

€149,-
Not having been bitten once by a bedbug, walking 8 Caminos and staying at I can't remember how many albergues, doesn't mean the issue isn't valid.
As hospitalero I have often seen people arrive with bites galore, when my wife Annakappa became "specialized" in debugging pilgrims, their attire and backpacks. As a hotelier I remember the bedbug problems at ***** hotels in New York several years ago. It isn't a risk to be underestimated.
Therefore, better be safe than sorry. Check your accommodation surroundings for possible bedbug signs (cracks, mattresses, walls), talk to the hospitaleros, and look for the typical b'fast/lunch/dinner bites on the skin.;)

sorry uterial but that's like burying your head in the sand.

Burying my head in the sand? Ha ha. Not hardly, dude.

@nathanael,

@Mark Lee and I are from the same part of the USA; he's in New Orleans and I grew up less than 200 miles away, along the Alabama coast. Recall that the central Gulf Coast has four seasons: Summer, December, January and February.

Brudda, you simply haven't lived until you've contended -- on a near-daily basis -- with clouds of large, fast and aggressive mosquitoes (slightly less numerous but much worse than those you have in Canada), ticks, chiggers, fire-ants, spiders, scorpions, etc. And let us not forget the ever-present flying roaches that are easily 1.5 inches long.

Mark wasn't burying his head in the sand; he was just considering bedbugs within the context of his near-daily experience.

Put everything DRY in the tumble dryer on HOT for 40 mins, that will kill the critters and any eggs. Don't wash them first or they will shrink. I'm REALLY sensitive to them, my husband doesn't react at all.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all,

Tomorrow I will leave and I'll arrive at St. Jean on Tuesday's. I have packed my stuff, but I forgot about little animals (bedbugs & mosquitos).

I'll still have some time tomorrow to prepare a how-to-plan when it comes to these insects. What do you suggests I'll bring? I've read about permethrin, but this is not legal to buy in the Netherlands.
My backpack is made of uhm I think cotton, and can not be washed (it is quite an old one).

I am a bit worried about those little buggers now so I would love to hear your last minute tips!
Three caminos and never seen a single one. Never had a bite. From what I have read, and I emphasise, its only what I have read, you are more likely to encounter them in airport hotels than on the camino. The hospitalleros are very careful about these little bugs. An infestation can ruin their summer takings and often that is their main source of income. Look carefully around the albergues and often you will see the aerosol spray cans. Does not mean there has been a problem, it is preventative rather curative

Sorry but in 2015 I had over 40, yes 40, puncture wounds from bedbugs in Ages in one night!!It was my second encounter with them on the trip! Some of us are not so fortunate. I needed medical treatment in Burgos! HAd reaction.. We kept all of our goods in plastic sealed bags, treated our clothes prior to starting...and then threw everything out except for a few valuable items which we kept in sealed bag with chemicals inside for 6 months when we got home. We are currently in Santiago, just having finished up and we did not see any bed bugs whatsoever!

When you arrive at SJPdP go into a farmacia and buy a spraybox of CLAKO.
Spray your backpack inside and outside.(outdoors please!).
Protects your backpack from the bugs to some degree if you cross upon them. Bring a big plastic bag to put your bp in at the albergues. This might prevent you from bringing them with you either to your home or another albergue.
I been frequently on the camino for 13 years without seeing them but I do this anyway+ a lot more to protect me from bringing them home, like I do on any other sort of travelling, hotelstay etc.
never heard of this product can you buy it in Spain?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have not seen CLAKO in spanish farmacias, but they sell other sprayboxes with permethrin but I do not remember the name. I usually go to supermercado and look at the anti hormigas shelf. Several of the anti ants sprays contains permethrin and cost less than in farmacias. One is called Bio is the one I prefer to spray my backpack with inside and outside. It contains nearly the same as the one they sell in farmacias and is much cheaper.

I have not seen CLAKO in spanish farmacias, but they sell other sprayboxes with permethrin but I do not remember the name. I usually go to supermercado and look at the anti hormigas shelf. Several of the anti ants sprays contains permethrin and cost less than in farmacias. One is called Bio is the one I prefer to spray my backpack with inside and outside. It contains nearly the same as the one they sell in farmacias and is much cheaper.
Don't forget that you need to let permethrin thoroughly dry before using anything that you have sprayed it on, and you need to be careful not to inhale it, or get it on bare skin. So I wouldn't buy a permethrin product in Spain with the idea of spraying it on my bed each night.

Cover your eyes, nose and mouth, use gloves, put the bp in a big plastic bag, spray, dry in the sun.
I never use this on beds or any other inside use!! I expect grownups to read directions for use for any product they buy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Any bed bugs so far??

My as my status reads, my Camino cross to bear was bed bugs! The worst attack consisted of about 15 bites to my face (I looked like I'd been punched in the eye), over 40 to each arm and another 20 to each ankle. I get pretty allergic to them. My treatment for the itching is a hot shower- as hot as you can get it directly on the bites. It changes the way your brain perceives the itching - it worked for me.

My next Camino I will be treating all my gear with permethrin and buying a tube of Sarcop (5% permethrin topical cream, used to treat scabies). I am very well versed in debugging and they are definitely a reality. They're pretty distressing too.

Hi - you will have a lovely time.

There are three types of bed bug people:

I don't know anything about them.
I don't care.
No way am I getting them.

Most people will not get them. But let me tell you they are there. People in category two will say pffft and tell you you are paranoid/OCD/can't be helped. my advice is steer clear of them. They are the people most likely to have them, not know, not care; and pass them all along the route and to their fellow pilgrims. Would you be so blasé about STI's? I doubt it!

I did not get bed bugs on the Frances 2 years ago. It I saw them, I saw evidence of them, I met people covered in. It's and I met people who had met people who had been to hospital they were so badly bitten.

The root cause of bed bugs is poor hygiene. By pilgrims, but most importantly by albergues.

Understand that albergue owners, workers and occasionally merely overseers, come in all shapes and sizes. Some are haphazard hippy types, some are entrepreneurs with high standards, some are locals who love the camino and some are just lazy/blaze people employed by the local authority, or setting up their own little outpost against the iniquities of The modern world.

Also understand you can get bed bugs in the cleanest seeming places and up to date hotels.

Bearing all that in mind, here is my advice:
1. Do not get bed bugs.
2. If you get them, nuke everything and take practically forensic measures not to take them home. As in strip naked at the door and bad all your clothes and gear in bin bags and zip tie them and leave them in a shed until you decide on a plan to deal with your stuff once you are home again and you are sure you are not carrying them.
3. Once a place gets bed bugs, they are unlikely to get clear of them ever again completely. That includes your home.
4. Avoid anyone with bed bugs. If they talk about it, if they have bites on their face, arms, legs.
5. Avoid places run by hippies. Aside from an aversion to chemicals hippy people usually have an approach to infection control which would not be sanctioned by anyone in the medical profession. They also generally have a more laid back approach to life.
6. In tandem with the above, wood, is never a good sign. If you come to a place and they want to give you fresh picked herbal tea and they are really nice and laid back and dressed in tie dye and the decor is all wooden and old looking and inviting, be extra vigilant.
7. Concrete and metal and newness of building is perfect. Metal bunk beds with new plastic covered mattresses and disposable pillow covers issued at the reception are heaven. These materials are not Happy homes for bugs and are easily kept clean. Metal springs under the bed are better than wooden slats.
8. Before you unpack or get on your bed inspect it. If the sheets look like they are not cleanly laundered - bail and find somewhere else. I saw one place where in the morning the hospitaliero went round brushing them sheets off. That was it. Look for stray hairs that indicate a previous occupant, stains and crumpled sheets.
9. Inspect the sheet, pillow, seams of both, under mattress, bed soars below you, bed slats about you (bunks), under the bed, and a quick look at neighbouring beds. Especially look in and around the seams. Unzip mattress covers if necessary. Pay especial attention to books and crannies. You are looking for: black mould, clear tiny beasties, brown small beasties. The mould is their shit. If they are there it's the first think you will likely see and think it is just dirt or mould. If you see any of these things, leave.
Find somewhere else to stay.

10.thats it. Other will tell you better how to get rid of them but in my view not getting them is the best.

11. Once you find one you will never feel like an idiot for looking again. Look out for your fellow pilgrims and they will thank you. Also it will help you in case the next bunk is a problem.

Anecdotes:

Stayed In a wooden place with several small dorms. My room is as OK. Someone staying in another room got them.

Went to a wooden place with voluntary hippies etc seems nice, plastic mattresses. Checked the bed way up in the corner, saw mould, found a bug in Sean of mattress zipper, found a dead bug on another mattress. Demanded refund- left with my friends. Told a Japanese party - they blew it off like it was no concern. Went to a municipal concrete and metal place and felt less soul, but clean and happy.

Went to a municipal place. Wooden. Climbed on bed shattered and noticed a hair on pillow. Then stains. Then noticed stains were not actually stains but crusts of something. Got off bed, inspected, found dead bug in mattress seam as well as lots of tiny clear bugs alive and well. Left with others. Demanded refund. Got it afterargument involving the word Internet.

Met guy in santiago whole face covered in bites.
Knew of a girl who had to tumble dry everything several times.
Met a guy who went to hospital due to allergic reaction to bites.
Know a girl who got bugs in her hours (not camino related) and has had pest control in several times.

If you check where you sleep you will not have a problem. It is no different than looking at the toilet seat before you sit down!

So don't let me put you off!

You will have an amazing camino and this is no different than all the prep you will do to make sure you don't get too many blisters. Buen Camino amiga!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Incidentally I now do this in hotels!

Also some places will get angry with you for looking, like it's an insult. Develop a thick skin for this!

Be aware that some insecticides and essential oils will destroy certain plastics and fabrics reinforced with artificial fibres .
The last thing you would want is to have the fabric of your back pack disintegrating along the way . The seams and harness to bag attachment points suffer the most , sprayed fluid will collect in the folds and stitches and have a greater effect in the most critical of areas . Test an area first , preferably a week or so before treating the entire pack , a reaction can be very slow or be enhanced by UV light .
As far as Lavender oil goes it may very well scare the bugs into revealing themselves but the smell left behind is enough to keep me and perhaps many others well away from it :(

If you check where you sleep you will not have a problem
Sorry, but this is not a guarantee. Many places have a bed bug or 2, or 3, but are not "infested" enough that you are likely to find them on inspection. That one bedbug will come out of its hiding place and bite me during the night but leave everyone else in peace and ignorance. They don't react, so they don't know they have been exposed.

You had some pieces of good advice, but I don't agree with but everything. For example, the advice to avoid people who have been bitten discourages people from reporting and dealing with the problem. Then it gets worse for everyone.

Everyone should assume they might have bedbugs and decontaminate upon arrival home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well yes that's true - if there's one stray bug it may be hard to detect. But I stand by the general hygiene rule - if a place os stripping and laundering its sheets every day this is less likely to be an issue.

I know what you mean about encouraging people to report and this may be one of those things where there's the advice we want to be generally accepted and then there's the advice we actually follow ourselves!

I have definitely met people who have been bugged and really struggle to get their heads round it when it has been pointed out. Education and vigilance is 9/10 of what is actually a very small battle.

They don't react, so they don't know they have been exposed.

That's one of the problems. Four of us walking together were bitten one year, the three others just had small itchy red marks, nothing to write home about....none of us had encountered bed bugs before, could have been symmetrical mosquito bites or whatever.
We only knew what they were because I reacted so badly to them, I just swell up! I suppose we were lucky because we 'decontaminated' before we got them home :eek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back