• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to Properly Size and Fit Footwear for Distance Walking and Backpacking

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
There have been a number of recent posts regarding the size and fit of shoes, so I thought I would repost this guide I wrote and have previously posted. Hope that it helps.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most important theme for achieving a proper fit is: You do not choose a shoe based on measurements, you buy a shoe based on its Fit N Feel regardless of instrument measurements.
  1. When you go to the store, do so toward the end of the day.... you will have been up on your feet, so that will help with getting the correct fit. Additionally, you will need to wear the same backpack with the same gear you will be carrying... you want this additional weight on you as this will put the same downward pressure on the foot that you will be having while on Camino.
  2. Wear the exact same sock(s) you will be wearing while you are walking on the Camino. And if you have a special insole or orthotic, bring it with you.
  3. At the store, the measuring that will be done on your feet is only to get you in the ballpark for the correct shoe size.
  4. Start by standing up; never measure while sitting. You want the full weight of your body, with the pack on, to put the same pressure on your feet to spread them out as will happen while walking. That alone will increase the volume and size of your feet.
  5. Make sure those 'Camino' socks are on your feet; if you wear socks with liners while walking, do the same thing at the store.
  6. While standing, have someone near to you that you can use to steady yourself. With the measuring device on the ground, step onto the instrument and center all of your weight onto the foot being measured. Do the same for the other foot.
  7. Start with that size, but be aware that both the width and the length need to feel like there is adequate room for your feet. Ideally, like Goldilocks, everything will be just right. But, don't count on it. Be picky.
  8. If you have special insoles or orthotics, put them into any shoe you try on as they will take up space inside the shoe.
  9. When you find what you think will fit you well, you will need to see if your toes have enough clearance. Toes should not be able to be forced to the front of the shoe and touch the shoe. Not even a little. If they do, long walking and downhill grades on the trail or path or road will traumatize the bed of the nail, and that is when toenails can blacken and fall off.
  10. With your shoes tied securely, but not too tight, walk around the store with your pack on. Go up stairs and down stairs, scuff the shoes to the floor so that your feet are forced to do any movement they will do and see if your toes so much as butterfly kiss the front of the shoe. Kick the front of the shoe into a post or stair or wall or someone's shin.... does that make any of your toes touch the front of the shoe? That goes for all the little piggies.
  11. Next, pay attention to the width of the shoe. It shouldn't feel snug on the sides and there should be no rubbing or pressure points at all. They will not go away with "break in". They will create soreness, pain, and blistering. Even if it seems to be tolerable, it is like water torture; as your feet are continually exposed to those pressure points your feet will break down against them bit by bit, and bruising, blisters, and soreness will follow.
  12. You may (or not) need to go up in size anywhere from 1/2 to 2 full sizes in length; and the same holds true with the need to go with a wider width to avoid those things I mentioned above. The notion that one avoids blisters by wearing snug footwear has been shown to do just the opposite.
Stores have varying policies about returns, so be sure to know what the return policy is in case you find problems with the shoes as you wear them around inside the house for a few days. Some stores and online retailers will let you return shoes even AFTER you wear them outside.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@davebugg, thank you for reposting this.

There are a couple of other things that I advise people to do when I talk to them about getting footwear fitted.
  • wear loose footwear on the day you are going, and give your feet a chance to spread before getting measured.
  • don't park outside the shop, but try to park some distance away, and get a few minutes on your feet getting to the store, particularly if you are going earlier in the day. Later will always be better, but not always possible. Again, this gives your feet time to relax and spread out to their natural, relaxed, size.
  • when checking for adequate length, point 9 above, remove the inner soles from the shoe or boot you are trying on, place them flat on the floor, and stand on them with your heel aligned with the rear of the inner sole.
    • You can then check the distance between the longest of your toes and the front edge of the inner soles. I suggest that if there is less than the width of your thumb, the shoe is too small.
    • this presumes you are wearing the sock combination you will be using on the camino. If you aren't, you might need a little more to get the room in front of your toes that you need.
  • Finally, I recommend getting any fitting done at a store that has a fitting slope where you can check two things:
    • the fit is snug enough to prevent your foot moving forward and touching the front of the boot or shoe, and
    • the heel doesn't slide inside the boot going uphill.
    • although these tests can both be done on a set of steps, it is just a bit harder to do so.
I know that this is a long list, and might be hard to remember if you are new to getting walking footwear fitted properly. So it is well worth printing out something you can take with you, or making a dot-point list as an aide-memoire.

I would like to emphasize the need for extra width in shoes for long distance walking. Too often, people don't think to ask for wide shoes, and the retailers don't bother to stock them, and that is a vicious circle. Wide shoes are not very common, particularly for women, but they are available. New Balance probably has the best selection, but Brooks and others have wide running shoes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wide shoes are not very common, particularly for women, but they are available. New Balance probably has the best selection, but Brooks and others have wide running shoes.
A friend told me that women's New Balance shoes can easily be found in widths of 2E but to get the NB shoes in 4E you have to shop at https://wideshoes.com

They sell a number of brands in both womens' and mens' shoes. Up to 8E.

I might also suggest that if women are having a difficult time finding the best sizing in 'female' sizes, that asking to be fitted with 'male' size or model shoes should be pursued.
Yes, that is a good suggestion. Unfortunately, men's sizes generally start at 7 (which is about 8.5 in women's sizing) and even then, there is limited selection until men's size 8 (women's 9.5). Probably more than half of women have feet that are smaller/shorter than that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, that is a good suggestion. Unfortunately, men's sizes generally start at 7 (which is about 8.5 in women's sizing) and even then, there is limited selection until men's size 8 (women's 9.5). Probably more than half of women have feet that are smaller/shorter than that.
That brings a memory. A long, long time ago the girlfriend of a college roommate had to buy boy's boots.

I might also suggest that if women are having a difficult time finding the best sizing in 'female' sizes, that asking to be fitted with 'male' size or model shoes should be pursued.
I buy only men's hiking shoes now, as women's sizes are too narrow for me.
The (male) sales assistant is always bemused at this 🤣 .
But we don't have trained staff in our stores, measuring devices, etc, as in other countries.
Or very many choices. It is either this one . . . or that one.
We have to work it out ourselves after much trial and error.
Many thanks for your original post, very informative.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There have been a number of recent posts regarding the size and fit of shoes, so I thought I would repost this guide I wrote and have previously posted. Hope that it helps.

The most important theme for achieving a proper fit is: You do not choose a shoe based on measurements, you buy a shoe based on its Fit N Feel regardless of instrument measurements.
  1. When you go to the store, do so toward the end of the day.... you will have been up on your feet, so that will help with getting the correct fit. Additionally, you will need to wear the same backpack with the same gear you will be carrying... you want this additional weight on you as this will put the same downward pressure on the foot that you will be having while on Camino.
  2. Wear the exact same sock(s) you will be wearing while you are walking on the Camino. And if you have a special insole or orthotic, bring it with you.
  3. At the store, the measuring that will be done on your feet is only to get you in the ballpark for the correct shoe size.
  4. Start by standing up; never measure while sitting. You want the full weight of your body, with the pack on, to put the same pressure on your feet to spread them out as will happen while walking. That alone will increase the volume and size of your feet.
  5. Make sure those 'Camino' socks are on your feet; if you wear socks with liners while walking, do the same thing at the store.
  6. While standing, have someone near to you that you can use to steady yourself. With the measuring device on the ground, step onto the instrument and center all of your weight onto the foot being measured. Do the same for the other foot.
  7. Start with that size, but be aware that both the width and the length need to feel like there is adequate room for your feet. Ideally, like Goldilocks, everything will be just right. But, don't count on it. Be picky.
  8. If you have special insoles or orthotics, put them into any shoe you try on as they will take up space inside the shoe.
  9. When you find what you think will fit you well, you will need to see if your toes have enough clearance. Toes should not be able to be forced to the front of the shoe and touch the shoe. Not even a little. If they do, long walking and downhill grades on the trail or path or road will traumatize the bed of the nail, and that is when toenails can blacken and fall off.
  10. With your shoes tied securely, but not too tight, walk around the store with your pack on. Go up stairs and down stairs, scuff the shoes to the floor so that your feet are forced to do any movement they will do and see if your toes so much as butterfly kiss the front of the shoe. Kick the front of the shoe into a post or stair or wall or someone's shin.... does that make any of your toes touch the front of the shoe? That goes for all the little piggies.
  11. Next, pay attention to the width of the shoe. It shouldn't feel snug on the sides and there should be no rubbing or pressure points at all. They will not go away with "break in". They will create soreness, pain, and blistering. Even if it seems to be tolerable, it is like water torture; as your feet are continually exposed to those pressure points your feet will break down against them bit by bit, and bruising, blisters, and soreness will follow.
  12. You may (or not) need to go up in size anywhere from 1/2 to 2 full sizes in length; and the same holds true with the need to go with a wider width to avoid those things I mentioned above. The notion that one avoids blisters by wearing snug footwear has been shown to do just the opposite.
Stores have varying policies about returns, so be sure to know what the return policy is in case you find problems with the shoes as you wear them around inside the house for a few days. Some stores and online retailers will let you return shoes even AFTER you wear them outside.

I would be happy to try my boots on barefoot if they would allow me. I believe you try your boots on with the thinest socks available so you can actually feel your foor in the boot. Once this is accomplished, you pick your size. For me it was two sizes larger and my feet never experienced a problem. Today i walk close to 2,000 miles a year and I haven't experienced a foot problem.

That may only work if the woman is tall enough to buy a men's shoe as the height of the sides / heel are much taller in a men's than woman's...This was pointed out to a woman in REI as she was being fitted and insisting on a man's shoe. The clerk was correct, it was too 'tall' for her ankle bones, etc. So, consider a man's shoe only if you have a considerable frame :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks @davebugg for this thread - much appreciated.

Something else to look out for when buying new shoes is to check for any faults in the shoes.

I bought a new pair of trail runners recently which had a fault in the padding in one of the shoes. I waited until after my podiatrist had checked over the shoes before wearing them as I have custom orthotics. He makes sure the orthotics fit inside the shoes properly and I was due for an orthotics reline in any event. The podiatrist checked the shoes and pointed out the fault. He told me that it wasn’t a minor fault and that with continued wear I could have run into Achilles’ tendon problems because of the fault. I hadn’t realised there was a fault - I hadn’t checked the shoes all over.

Here’s a photo of of the shoes. The fault is the fold in the padding of the left shoe.

E3E06067-3F34-440B-91EA-29856E5B84A8.jpeg

I returned the shoes to the retailer the next day. The staff were surprised that they’d missed the fault as they check all the shoes when stocks are delivered and were interested to hear the report from the podiatrist. They exchanged the shoes without any problems.

I’m very grateful to my podiatrist for identifying the fault and in the future will make sure to thoroughly check the shoes when buying new ones.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

That may only work if the woman is tall enough to buy a men's shoe as the height of the sides / heel are much taller in a men's than woman's...This was pointed out to a woman in REI as she was being fitted and insisting on a man's shoe. The clerk was correct, it was too 'tall' for her ankle bones, etc. So, consider a man's shoe only if you have a considerable frame :)

There is truth to your concern, which is why there are gender specific models in existence. I congratulate the salesperson for being aware of this potential issue when assessing the shoe's fit. It is like all other variables when fitting shoes: what might be a problem for some will not a problem for others. And we must also keep in mind that mentioning that a woman try on male-sized shoes is a only a potential solution to consider if they are experiencing difficulty finding a female shoe size that correctly fits.

Many men have had that same issue crop up within men's shoe sizes. The solution is to chose a different model or to add a bit of a heel pad under the insole. I have experienced it myself with a shoe that otherwise met my needs, and because of time constraints I ended up using a hot knife tool to cut that area slightly deeper to accommodate those pesky ankle Bump Outs. I'm not suggesting others do the same; I'm just comfortable doing surgery on shoes.

I have a lot of issues with REI salespersons ever since REI became a big-box chain. I have helped dozens of folks correct issues with shoes and backpack purchases from various REIs. In this case, that individual salesperson was correct to double check for that specific variance, but incorrect if they made a blanket assertion about all men's shoes.

After wearing your shoes for awhile in training take a good look at them to see if wear patterns indicate that you may encounter problems later on when you're on a camino.

One thing to check for is if one side of a shoe's outer sole is worn more than the other side. This could indicate a pronation problem. I didn't see this wear pattern prior to my caminos but days into the camino I had knee problems. In both my caminos wads of paper under the inner sole's instep stopped the pronation and that solved the knee problems.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe you try your boots on with the thinest socks available so you can actually feel your foor in the boot. Once this is accomplished, you pick your size
This is interesting, and is similar to my approach. I find a shoe that still feels good (i.e. the right shape for my foot) in a size on the small side - something that would be OK for a very thin sock and casual wear but not for a long walk. Then I move up in size, stopping just before the TOO big one.

Hola @davebugg What a fantastic post - so informative. From what I could see about the only thing I would add - is go in at the end of a long day of walking around. Your feet will be expanded and will better fit the new books. Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola @davebugg What a fantastic post - so informative. From what I could see about the only thing I would add - is go in at the end of a long day of walking around. Your feet will be expanded and will better fit the new books. Cheers
I have just had an interesting experience- my shoes have had their day and I’ve been looking for a couple of weeks for replacement.

So about 4 or so days back I bit the bullet and am now wearing a new pair of La Sportiva Tempest GPX - they seem great

But - here’s the but,

the day AFTER I brought them - on this forum - I discovered the Ruth blister resource - wow, what a wonderful thing
I wish I’d read it a day earlier - maybe I would have looked about a little more - maybe not.

What I discovered after reading was that the position that I have a friendly reliable blister has a cause - a precisely described anatomical cause

So , off came my shoes and down I looked to find that my gorgeous perfect body - is actually deformed

gosh, my mother never informed me of this

I’ll probably live through it - but, that knowledge is invaluable and I well maybe able to loosen the close relations with my favourite blister

my lesson - read Ruth before choosing shoes

Thank you for a useful post - too late for me this time alas. Unfortunately it can be hard (in the UK) to find a shop with a good selection of footwear in a range of sizes. So may I add:

Check your shop's returns policy and don't wear your boots/shoes/sandals out of doors until you are sure they are right for you.

@davebugg, thank you for reposting this.

There are a couple of other things that I advise people to do when I talk to them about getting footwear fitted.
  • wear loose footwear on the day you are going, and give your feet a chance to spread before getting measured.
  • don't park outside the shop, but try to park some distance away, and get a few minutes on your feet getting to the store, particularly if you are going earlier in the day. Later will always be better, but not always possible. Again, this gives your feet time to relax and spread out to their natural, relaxed, size.
  • when checking for adequate length, point 9 above, remove the inner soles from the shoe or boot you are trying on, place them flat on the floor, and stand on them with your heel aligned with the rear of the inner sole.
    • You can then check the distance between the longest of your toes and the front edge of the inner soles. I suggest that if there is less than the width of your thumb, the shoe is too small.
    • this presumes you are wearing the sock combination you will be using on the camino. If you aren't, you might need a little more to get the room in front of your toes that you need.
  • Finally, I recommend getting any fitting done at a store that has a fitting slope where you can check two things:
    • the fit is snug enough to prevent your foot moving forward and touching the front of the boot or shoe, and
    • the heel doesn't slide inside the boot going uphill.
    • although these tests can both be done on a set of steps, it is just a bit harder to do so.
I know that this is a long list, and might be hard to remember if you are new to getting walking footwear fitted properly. So it is well worth printing out something you can take with you, or making a dot-point list as an aide-memoire.
Make sure the heel counter is not tight and doesn't press in on your achilles tendon. The foot heel pad needs to spread out with impact. A trail running shoe that worked fine for me for hundreds of miles distorted enough when wet and dried to cause mischief. Now I look for a low heel soft heel counter.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Make sure the heal counter is not tight and doesn't press in on your achilles tendon. The foot heel pad needs to spread out with impact. A trail running shoe that worked fine for me for hundreds of miles distorted enough when wet and dried to cause mischief. Now I look for a low heel soft heel counter.

To help assess this issue, look at the amount of 'cupping' that the heel counter uses. You do not want a heel cup that is too deep so that it avoids putting pressure on the Achilles tendon.

The same holds true with the padded 'collar' at the top of the shoe. If that collar presses on the tendon, that can cause tendonitis.

What can you do to solve those issues if you love the shoe?

For the collar, you can trim away the inside padding at the heel counter. If the trimming leaves a rough area then use a moleskin or a heavy weatherproof 'duct tape' material as a patch to cover any rough areas. If the moleskin or taped does not stick well, supplement the adhesive with a bit of fabric contact adhesive.

For the heel cup, add a filler. You can use whatever thickness of a felt-type shoe pad that is needed to attached to the back of the heel cup until it positions the heel so that the top of the 'cup' no longer puts pressure against the Achilles tendon. Attach with fabric contact adhesive or a strong double sided carpet tape.

I like the suggested modifications. After extended use the insole/inserts compress, especially the heel area, which causes the arch area to press into the arch area of the foot. That increases the risk of plantar fasciitis. I bring a old insole to cut up and fill in the compacted heel area. I also grind off selective excess padding on the insole insert before leaving home. What gives instant comfort in the store can cause mischief as the shoes wear. It's hard to find a foot bed that is relatively flat and is not excessively contoured. As a physician, I note the mythology about "arch support."

Speaking of excessive foot pressure, I learned the hard way that socks can also compress too tightly over the flexor tendons at the top of the ankle, cause irritation and tendonitis. The elastic was simply too tight. Just right tight, good hydration, and avoiding overly exuberant downhill hiking is the pathway to keep those tendons happy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Next, pay attention to the width of the shoe. It shouldn't feel snug on the sides and there should be no rubbing or pressure points at all. They will not go away with "break in". They will create soreness, pain, and blistering. Even if it seems to be tolerable, it is like water torture; as your feet are continually exposed to those pressure points your feet will break down against them bit by bit, and bruising, blisters, and soreness will follow.
Boy oh boy is this ever true!

I had a pair of shoes that fit perfectly 2½ years ago. Then I spent much of that time walking barefoot on a tile floor. 5-10k a day.
And didn't stop to think that would do anything. Ha...! One shoe now felt just a tad too narrow.

Within 1 day on the camino I had a small blister on the wider foot. By the end of day 2, there were 3. Plus an irritated nerve. By the end of the 1st week, each day was feeling like torture, and the blisters on my heel and between my toes were just getting bigger and bigger. I ditched the small shoes at the first opportunity, and found some Keen sandals. Within a few days everything was healing.

Don't imagine a bit snug will fix itself.

Last edited:
The consensus to buy shoes larger than your feet is not correct, IMO. Maybe at the end of the day they will fit better but that leaves hours of feet slipping and sliding, begging for blisters.
I bought Merrell Flex and worried that they were too tight on the sides but after breaking them over a couple of months I stuck with them for my 1st camino. Nary a blister, hot spot or anything resembling irritation.
Admittedly this is just one person's experience and reasoning for starting your walk off every day with shoes that fit. So perhaps we could hear some science behind the idea that buying shoes larger than your feet prevents blisters?

I have just had an interesting experience- my shoes have had their day and I’ve been looking for a couple of weeks for replacement.

So about 4 or so days back I bit the bullet and am now wearing a new pair of La Sportiva Tempest GPX - they seem great

But - here’s the but,

the day AFTER I brought them - on this forum - I discovered the Ruth blister resource - wow, what a wonderful thing
I wish I’d read it a day earlier - maybe I would have looked about a little more - maybe not.

What I discovered after reading was that the position that I have a friendly reliable blister has a cause - a precisely described anatomical cause

So , off came my shoes and down I looked to find that my gorgeous perfect body - is actually deformed

gosh, my mother never informed me of this

I’ll probably live through it - but, that knowledge is invaluable and I well maybe able to loosen the close relations with my favourite blister

my lesson - read Ruth before choosing shoes
Can you provide the link to the Ruth blister resource? First I've heard of it. I'd like to check it out. Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In my humble opinion, buying shoes large enough to keep my swelling feet inside them without undue compression means that I've never lost a toenail, my bunions don't get any worse from having the big toe shoved down next to the others, my hammer toes have room to keep from rubbing against each other ( thus, no blood blisters from one toenail cutting into the other toe), the pads at each side of my foot don't get pinch blisters from being caught between the insole and the side of the shoe, and I don't get blisters on my ankle or heel from a heel cup cutting into my foot.

Your mileage may vary. 😉

Can you provide the link to the Ruth blister resource? First I've heard of it. I'd like to check it out. Thanks!
Maybe @Pintohoo meant Rebecca Rushton.

The consensus to buy shoes larger than your feet is not correct, IMO. Maybe at the end of the day they will fit better but that leaves hours of feet slipping and sliding, begging for blisters.
I have just re-read the posts in this thread and cannot find anywhere where it suggests getting footwear that is larger than required to fit your feet. So I see no evidence here that there is any consensus to object to.

On your second point, shoes have adjustment mechanisms, mainly lacing, but there are other types of closures used, to make make the small adjustments needed to ensure that the shoe fits snugly, accommodating such things as different sock thicknesses, any swelling that might result from fluid retention in the foot, etc. There may be some foot movement fore and aft, such as when going downhills, but even this can be controlled by the tightness or otherwise of the lacing.

Perhaps if someone has purchased footwear far too large, the limits of any adjustment might be reached, but I don't see that arising from any of the advice presented earlier in this thread.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So let me repeat what I said in that thread at the time:
Not everyone says this. For as long as I have been a member of the forum some of us have offered the advice that one should get footwear properly fitted by a competent salesperson at a retailer offering a range of different brands and styles. Alternatively, be prepared to visit several different retailers so you better understand how different brands suit your unique foot shape.
Back in my youth when I did some debating, we would refer to the type of rhetorical fallacy you have committed here, and @greenie71 engaged in in the thread you have referenced, as a PIG. Making a wild generalisation based on some particular instances is a failure of logic.

In this instance, there is no consensus about buying footwear one size larger in this thread or elsewhere that I can tell. Those of us who object to this advice when we see it, or offer alternative methods we think are more reliable, will continue to do so. One more voice on this matter will not be a bad thing. But I wonder why you have done it here when what you might seem to be objecting to is in a completely different thread.

Last edited:
...there is no consensus about buying footwear one size larger in this thread or elsewhere that I can tell.
In just the one link I provided, five of the first six posts acknowledged this advice. I am sure you and hundreds of members have heard it many times; to claim otherwise because there is no consensus on "this" thread is known as the ole head-in-the-sand fallacy.
Those of us who object to this advice when we see it, or offer alternative methods we think are more reliable, will continue to do so.
Since you agree with my point that buying shoes a size larger to accommodate possible foot swelling is not necessarily good advice, I don't see the need to continue with this discussion. Good bye.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks @davebugg for this thread - much appreciated.

Something else to look out for when buying new shoes is to check for any faults in the shoes.

I bought a new pair of trail runners recently which had a fault in the padding in one of the shoes. I waited until after my podiatrist had checked over the shoes before wearing them as I have custom orthotics. He makes sure the orthotics fit inside the shoes properly and I was due for an orthotics reline in any event. The podiatrist checked the shoes and pointed out the fault. He told me that it wasn’t a minor fault and that with continued wear I could have run into Achilles’ tendon problems because of the fault. I hadn’t realised there was a fault - I hadn’t checked the shoes all over.

Here’s a photo of of the shoes. The fault is the fold in the padding of the left shoe.

View attachment 120787

I returned the shoes to the retailer the next day. The staff were surprised that they’d missed the fault as they check all the shoes when stocks are delivered and were interested to hear the report from the podiatrist. They exchanged the shoes without any problems.

I’m very grateful to my podiatrist for identifying the fault and in the future will make sure to thoroughly check the shoes when buying new ones.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
That's it! Its blade runners for me from now on! :)

Samarkand.

Since you agree with my point that buying shoes a size larger to accommodate possible foot swelling is not necessarily good advice, I don't see the need to continue with this discussion.
Making the point that it is worth getting footwear properly fitted is nothing new. Other members and I have been making this point for the best part of a decade, and will continue to do so. It is an matter that has come up regularly enough, and I cannot see this will be any different in the future. So I expect that the discussion will continue.

I bought Merrell Flex and worried that they were too tight on the sides but after breaking them over a couple of months I stuck with them for my 1st camino. Nary a blister, hot spot or anything resembling irritation.
Admittedly this is just one person's experience and reasoning for starting your walk off every day with shoes that fit. So perhaps we could hear some science behind the idea that buying shoes larger than your feet prevents blisters?
What creates the blister is not the shear friction of shoe against skin, it is sock against skin. A nice, snug sock, with a slightly loose shoe will keep shoe friction away from skin as the shoe slides a bit against the sock.

A shoe that’s tied snug can force the sock to move against the skin

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.