• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to put maps.me onto a phone

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
A few months ago Someone Very Helpful on the forum talked me through how to overlay camino routes on maps.me on my phone. I have been searching for the thread for half an hour as someone has asked me how to do it. I managed to do it once, but cannot for the life of me remember what I did! And I can't find the thread. Anyone remember it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A few months ago Someone Very Helpful on the forum talked me through how to overlay camino routes on maps.me on my phone. I have been searching for the thread for half an hour as someone has asked me how to do it. I managed to do it once, but cannot for the life of me remember what I did! And I can't find the thread. Anyone remember it?

Don't know about the thread, but I'll have a go myself. I make sure to have a KML file on my computer (if I find a GPX file of a route, I convert it online here) and then mail it to myself. I open my mailapp on my smartphone and thereby download the KML file. Click on the file/open the file when it's done downloading and Maps.me (if installed on your phone) will take over and not only open it, but will store it to its tracks. Done.

(EDIT: found the thread!)

Don't know about the thread, but I'll have a go myself. I make sure to have a KML file on my computer (if I find a GPX file of a route, I convert it online here) and then mail it to myself. I open my mailapp on my smartphone and thereby download the KML file. Click on the file/open the file when it's done downloading and Maps.me (if installed on your phone) will take over and not only open it, but will store it to its tracks. Done.

(EDIT: found the thread!)
Thanks for posting the question Rachel. I’m following the replies and also see in the link to original thread that Jill. @jsalt is familiar with all this. As I’m starting off on March 23 on camino Madrid with Jill I’m sure she might give me some ‘instructions ‘. I’m hoping

Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Annie, probably better to set it all up before you leave home ;) – like Rachel, I did it once, but can’t remember how! I need assistance from my grandchildren for technological stuff.
Jill

Grandma.gif

I think I am saying the same thing as @Purky, but this is what I have done:

1. Make sure you have MAPS.ME downloaded on your phone.
2. Find a KML file of the track you want and save it to your desktop or laptop.
3. E-mail the KML file to yourself.
4. Open the e-mail on your phone and tap to open the attachment. It should give you option of how you want to open the file. One of those options should be MAPS.ME. When you tap on that, the track will be entered into MAPS.Me.

I used MAPS.ME on the Via Francigena last summer and thought it was great. Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@OzAnnie if you’re wondering how to find a KML file in the first place, you can go here: https://www.santiago.nl/downloads
Rachel,
You are now reading my mind , ha ha.
I think that’s probably the reason I’ve ‘switched off’ reading these instructions before. That is ‘2 unknowns in the problem for me = don’t even try !!!”
So your message is VERY illuminating!
Thanks @Purky , @Doogman and @Rick of Rick and Peg for all the detailed info.

I’ll have a go at all this during the day.

Also @jsalt love the cartoon above. I think many grandparents (and even parents ) would empathise.

Annie

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@OzAnnie I'll just insert a wee linky tutorial here for you too.
Instead of saying "you can go here" as I did in the previous post I could have turned the "here" into a link. How? you ask!
Well when you're typing a reply there will be a row of icons above where you type. See the one that looks like a photo? It's beside the smiley face. To the left of the photo is a chain. Think: chain link. Link. Got it? (It's not a dumbbell for getting fit with)
Now, if you're wanting to link to something you need the address of whatever you're linking to. So in the case above it would be https://www.santiago.nl/downloads
In preparation for inserting it as a link, you copy the address. (I'm assuming you know how to do that bit, but if you don't, do ask because it's so easy you don't want to be defeated by something so simple - highlight the address and hit Ctrl C).
So there you are, with your address copied. Then you type what you want to say in the post. In the above case it was "you can go here". Then you highlight the word "here" and move your cursor to click the LINK icon. A little box will appear asking you for a URL. You're so onto it that you already have that copied so you just hit the Ctrl key and V at the same time and it will automatically paste into the space. Then you hit "Insert" and it will magically happen. My son can tell you HOW that bit works, but I've got no idea.
I'll do it here...."you can go here"
See? Easy peasy.
Give it a go.
Then you'll be all confident to play with maps.me and KML files.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back