• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How To Recognize a Fellow Forum Member While On Camino

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My patch has been spotted by eagle eyed pilgrims in airports. But my most novel outing as a forum member was by my stepson who stumpled across and old post while searching for answers on the Portuguese route. Much mirth was to be had by our children reading our back catalogue of advice, although they did admit it was useful.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've been on the camino three times, but only had two comments on my patch, which I had so proudly sewn on my pack. One woman simply said, "I like your patch." (Obviously not a forum member!).

The other called out "Camino forum!" and invited me to join her group for a cerveza after I registered at the albergue. Fun night with new friends, lots of comaraderie. And yes, after a few beers we all radiated wisdom. 😄

I've got mine. I wonder though when anyone else will get a chance to see it.
Easy peasy. Post a photo of the backpack...then we can all see it!
No upcoming plans yet, Rick?
I should have mentioned that on my next (just a second) camino I intend to have my forum avatar embroidered onto a patch (with attached googly eyes) and attached next to the forum badge. As I'm not sure when I'll be back and what pack I'll use the forum patch hasn't been sewn onto anything yet.

Here's a picture though of what I draped onto my pack 40 years ago to help me get rides when I was hitchhiking down under. Eight of the twelve flags I sewed and embroidered myself. I cheated a bit and added Hawaii's state flag. These were for the places I visited on the trip.

Screenshot_20190224-163255.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I should have mentioned that on my next (just a second) camino I intend to have my forum avatar embroidered onto a patch (with attached googly eyes) and attached next to the forum badge. As I'm not sure when I'll be back and what pack I'll use the forum patch hasn't been sewn onto anything yet.

Here's a picture though of what I draped onto my pack 40 years ago to help me get rides when I was hitchhiking down under. Eight of the twelve flags I sewed and embroidered myself. I cheated a bit and added Hawaii's state flag. These were for the places I visited on the trip.

View attachment 52497
That is truly lovely, Rick! Jeff does handiwork, too. I guess you boys have more in common than just your witty puns!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have had this badge on my backpack but never met a forummember.
Us neither - during 2 Caminos. However, we have had ex-pilgrims recognize the arrow on the patch in airports or by non-walkers when we were walking on Caminos, especially on the Portuguese where we were virtually the only pilgrims. We also have had comments on the shell on our daypacks on non-Camino trips. We've left them there on purpose to see if get any comments! But, none have been Forum-related.

With the multitude of fellow pilgrims, it would be likely that the badge would seldom be recognized by another Forum member just by virtue of the odds.

The badge/patch only serves to decrease those odds :) Imagine, if it is tough to meet a Forum member WITH the badge, how much tougher it would be without. ;)

You will see other dark blue patches with yellow arrows on the Camino. We'll call out to those passing us (we're slow!) and often a nice conversation will ensue even when it's not a Forum patch. We also have Texas patches and that generates lots of comments as usually the first question asked is, "Where are you from?", followed by cowboy questions :D:rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In October
Can you sew mine on my backpack for me???

Sew??? Ha!!! :) I use Velcro for fabrics. One side to the pack the other side to the back of the patch. The glue adheres really well to both the backpack and the patch. If I want I can remove patches as needed or desired.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You will see other dark blue patches with yellow arrows on the Camino. We'll call out to those passing us (we're slow!) and often a nice conversation will ensue even when it's not a Forum patch. We also have Texas patches and that generates lots of comments as usually the first question asked is, "Where are you from?", followed by cowboy questions :D:rolleyes:
I gave a Texas flag sticker to the proprietor of the Cowboy Bar in El Ganso. I felt it was needed. He stuck it on the cash drawer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have met several forum members walking. They recognized me because of my head of shocking white hair. ;) But I have been meaning to get a forum patch, so thanks for the nudge, @davebugg.

Buen camino,Laurie

I understand that. I was recognized because of my backpack, since it is not one commonly used on Camino and the Forum member recalled my mentioning my use of the Gossamer Gear Mariposa. It was only after that when the member then saw my badge. :)

I was just getting ready to head out the door of the little alburgue where my son Caleb, and I, had shared a private room. I heard someone sitting nearby putting shoes on say, "David Bugg?" I was disoriented a bit from having my name called out, but we met and chatted a bit before Caleb and I headed out. :)

I was just getting ready to head out the door of the little alburgue where my son Caleb, and I, had shared a private room. I heard someone sitting nearby putting shoes on say, "David Bugg?" I was disoriented a bit from having my name called out, but we met and chatted a bit before Caleb and I headed out. :)
International fame. On your next camino you won't have to follow the yellow arrows; just keep on walking down the red carpet. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
International fame. On your next camino you won't have to follow the yellow arrows; just keep on walking down the red carpet. :)

Oh, gawd, I hope to heck not!!!! That meeting because of my backpack was a bit. . . awkward and felt disjointed. Some of how I felt may have been a side effect of the Burgos unpleasantness, though. 🤔

€149,-
I
I've been on the camino three times, but only had two comments on my patch, which I had so proudly sewn on my pack. One woman simply said, "I like your patch." (Obviously not a forum member!).

The other called out "Camino forum!" and invited me to join her group for a cerveza after I registered at the albergue. Fun night with new friends, lots of comaraderie. And yes, after a few beers we all radiated wisdom. 😄
Met Sunny on Camino, for the first time, think it was in Zubiri. She was either with her husband/brother. Some time after this first meeting, I bumpeb into the couple again. The talk was about weather and what happens when it rains. My response was the same one I'd given on the Forum months earlier. Sunny's husband/brother started laughing and said, HEY YOU ARE TRAVELITE! So, there you are. I wasn't even aware there was such a thing as a forum badge.

The badge is good, but you don't need it. I sat opposite a young man on the train to Waterloo (London) on Wednesday and we recognised each other as pilgrims even though I was besuited, wearing a tie and on my way to a business meeting. He was from Hungary and on his way to walk St Davids Way with a friend from Canada who he'd met on the camino frances two years ago. We had a pleasant chat and I wished him 'buen camino! as we parted at the station.
Peter

The badge is good, but you don't need it. I sat opposite a young man on the train to Waterloo (London) on Wednesday and we recognised each other as pilgrims even though I was besuited, wearing a tie and on my way to a business meeting. He was from Hungary and on his way to walk St Davids Way with a friend from Canada who he'd met on the camino frances two years ago. We had a pleasant chat and I wished him 'buen camino! as we parted at the station.
Peter

You are right, Peter; for recognizing other pilgrims you don't really need one. I had much the same experience all along the way from flying and traveling from home to the start of my Caminos. You just sort of develop a sense of recognition of the little indicators from others.

But for recognizing Forum members, it allows us to pick out one another from the rest of the pilgrim world :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is heart warming to see Forum members posting their wishes and hope to see and meet other Forum members while they walk a Camino.

Question: How does one recognize a fellow Forum member? 🤔

Answer: By attaching a Forum Member patch to one's hat or pack. 👍:D

You can pick up such a badge/patch at the Forum Store

View attachment 52493
Darn! I just place an order and didn’t see this, I’ll be walking the Portuguese Camino this year, did the frances a few years ago. I will have a Canadian flag on my pack though 😁

It is heart warming to see Forum members posting their wishes and hope to see and meet other Forum members while they walk a Camino.

Question: How does one recognize a fellow Forum member? 🤔

Answer: By attaching a Forum Member patch to one's hat or pack. 👍:D

You can pick up such a badge/patch at the Forum Store

View attachment 52493
What a marvellous idea!! I am starting in Porto March 20, is there a forum shop in Porto? Near cathedral? Boncamino everyone 👣👣

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In October
Sew??? Ha!!! :) I use Velcro for fabrics. One side to the pack the other side to the back of the patch. The glue adheres really well to both the backpack and the patch. If I want I can remove patches as needed or desired.
Show me, please. 😀

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dang, I should have ordered one of those and the googly eyes.

The only personalisation on my backpack is a Critical Role keyring. (It’s a D&D Roleplaying show)

64A99BD8-1318-4853-9BE2-39B88C9BAD12.jpeg

@davebugg, did you also stitch/sew that piece of Velcro to your bag?

EDIT: D'uh, R&C!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.