• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to recover from a tough day

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Here’s an interesting YouTube site on nutrition for long distance hikers. I sometimes come into the Albergue at 3pm exhausted and demoralized. One of the YouTube key points is that you should immediately eat some protein within 30 minutes to prevent further trouble that may last for days. I’ve noticed that in long distance events one of the things organizers like to provide is milk. I like to pop into a Supermercado and guzzle a cold litre of milk while on Camino but I notice that many people think this is bizarre. Anyways here’s the link.

PS yes I like a vino but only once I’m revived.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ve noticed that in long distance events one of the things organizers like to provide is milk. I like to pop into a Supermercado and guzzle a cold litre of milk while on Camino but I notice that many people think this is bizarre.

Not so bizarre.

Feeling Extra Thirsty? Here's Why a Glass of Milk Might Be a More Hydrating Option Than Water

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is chocolate milk better? Entera, semidesnatada o el otro?

"After a tough workout, chocolate milk helps muscles recover quickly to their peak potential and helps replenish fluids and critical nutrients lost in sweat. Chocolate milk as part of proper post-workout nutrition can help to repair and rebuild damaged."

Last edited:
Here’s an interesting YouTube site on nutrition for long distance hikers. I sometimes come into the Albergue at 3pm exhausted and demoralized. One of the YouTube key points is that you should immediately eat some protein within 30 minutes to prevent further trouble that may last for days. I’ve noticed that in long distance events one of the things organizers like to provide is milk. I like to pop into a Supermercado and guzzle a cold litre of milk while on Camino but I notice that many people think this is bizarre. Anyways here’s the link.

not much point! You drink the vino to GET revived! :)

Samarkand

Is chocolate milk is better?

"After a tough workout, chocolate milk helps muscles recover quickly to their peak potential and helps replenish fluids and critical nutrients lost in sweat. Chocolate milk as part of proper post-workout nutrition can help to repair and rebuild damaged."
Often event organizers provide chocolate milk, it’s true. I omitted that fact to avoid being thought even more bizarre. On the CF last year I did guzzle several excellent Spanish concoctions. I do my guzzling as soon as I leave the supermercado. Below is a sample of what I just guzzled. Full fat 3.25%.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, I was really ready to be a *skeptic* about this video because nutritional generalizations and wizardry abound so widely, but this was remarkably well done and thoughtful with reasonable amounts of sourcing. I've been concerned about my upcoming camino because I've recently noted a significant loss of endurance and tendency for a difficult recovery. And, yes, my diet is to blame. So this will give me some tools and thoughts to consider moving forward. I've often wondered if my (multiple) cafe con leches were giving me the fat/sugar bomb I needed to help me down the road!! ha! Thanks @BombayBill for sharing this video.

Excellent video @BombayBill . Thanks for sharing.
The key takeout for me being, we need to eat 2/3 fats.......

Just a pity all his food examples were processed foods, but of course the video is aimed at through hikers.
I'll certainly watch Part 2 and check out his food list.

Hopefully it will all make sense so I can decide on bacon and eggs v tortilla or something else for breakfast :oops:

Interesting stats on the sugars impact too!

I love the relay race analogy.
Sugars get you started
Carbs then take over,
and fats kick in later.........

Though having watched the Part 2 video now............
I get the theory........but all the food examples are trail bars, goop packets and other highly processed packets of stuff.
It will be a challenge to translate all of that into 'regular' food choices...... :oops:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Just a pity all his food examples were processed foods, but of course the video is aimed at through hikers.

Hopefully it will all make sense so I can decide on bacon and eggs v tortilla or something else for breakfast :oops:

Sugars get you started
Carbs then take over,

I get the theory........but all the food examples are trail bars, goop packets and other highly processed packets of stuff.
It will be a challenge to translate all of that into 'regular' food choices...... :oops:
Agreed, it would be nice to have a “real” food list.

When reading those nutrition labels, it pays to heed the serving size. In this case, the serving size is one cup (240 ml), but OP is drinking 1 liter of milk, so multiply by 4. That means ingesting 112g of carbs, as well as 1000 mg sodium and 1200 mg potassium. The sodium and potassium would be important to recovery too. Chocolate milk would have even higher sugar content.

I've been on a keto diet for years now -- yes, even before Covid and even while walking the Geneva route (giving up croissants was tough) -- and I've found it really works to prevent those low-blood-sugar-in-the-afternoon bonking episodes.

I always carry “emergency“ dark chocolate with almonds, brand x from any supermercado. Perhaps this explains my weight gain on every Camino I have walked. Added to café con leche, cortados, pan con mantequilla y mermelada and flan. Wash dinner down with a little tinto. Hitting all the essential food groups and happy 😊 🚶🏻‍♀️☺️.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On a hot day I love a cold beer on arrival. But I ask for cerveza zero zero -- no alcohol. I can guzzle it down, then, not in a brain fog, take a nap, shower, wash clothes. At diner I can enjoy the real beer or vino tinto. Buen Camino

Often event organizers provide chocolate milk, it’s true. I omitted that fact to avoid being thought even more bizarre. On the CF last year I did guzzle several excellent Spanish concoctions. I do my guzzling as soon as I leave the supermercado. Below is a sample of what I just guzzled. Full fat 3.25%.
My daughter played college hockey and they always drank chocolate milk after practice, so I guess there's something to this

The videos are long and seem to be heavily science based. If you want to take 1 thing away from them - it is to eat some protein and carbs within 30 minutes of stopping for the day. Something to do with muscle fatigue. Waiting to eat at dinner apparently does not have the same effect and the muscle fatigue can last several days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great video. Makes lots of sense, too. And furthers the thought that we really need more than toast and cafe con leche to start the walking day on Camino! Definitely agree with having something with protein and fat. I found that the UHT milk sold in Spain was stable in my backpack for up to 3 days during late October so I could carry it and enjoy with my picnic lunch.

Having done some amount of backpacking (not thru-hiking), the challenge is always to carry the right stuff to eat that is lightweight but provides fuel, is tasty and doesn't take a lot of time to prepare. Most of the time, rather than processed foods, I cook and dehydrate my own foods. Not really practical for the Camino though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can *single dose* protein powder packets be found along the CF? what about collagen packets?
What is wrong with a media ration of Jamon and maybe some pan to dunk in your drink. We've survived, more or less, on food for well over a million years now. The packet is a rather recent and unproven innovation. Just say;)ing...

Whatever gets food into you. I make it to a restaurant before 3:00-3:30 (often the kitchen closing time) to eat my big meal of the day. I go to bed early and get up early.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree! Good info in the video, and yet I want to avoid packaging. My go-to is a bag of peanuts/almonds and/or hard-boiled eggs; a chunk of bread, fresh fruit; and raw veggies. That combo works for my metabolism. Not sure how I will manage that during the Camino, but you'll recognize me when I'm walking along eating a head of lettuce with a bottle of EVOO as a "chaser."

I agree! Good info in the video, and yet I want to avoid packaging. My go-to is a bag of peanuts/almonds and/or hard-boiled eggs; a chunk of bread, fresh fruit; and raw veggies. That combo works for my metabolism. Not sure how I will manage that during the Camino, but you'll recognize me when I'm walking along eating a head of lettuce with a bottle of EVOO as a "chaser."

It raises some interesting thoughts about Camino walking 'fuel'.
The combination of carbs, proteins and fats made a lot of sense.
Just trying to think of a good source of fats.
Some bread with a good swig of olive oil might be a good combination!
Never tried drinking olive oil (EVOO) neat though.........
Throw in a boiled egg and it sounds like a perfect mobile lunch.......

I do like to nibble on a bag of homemade GORP as I walk.
Which I think stands for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts.....
Sounds like it's used by many for good reason.

Some bread with a good swig of olive oil might be a good combination!
Never tried drinking olive oil (EVOO) neat though.........
Throw in a boiled egg and it sounds like a perfect mobile lunch.......

I do like to nibble on a bag of homemade GORP as I walk.
Which I think stands for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts.....
Sounds like it's used by many for good reason.

I‘ve been eating avocados, whilst walking, for decades … they are, of course, a great source of fat 😋
Just don’t choke on the stone!😉

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Sugars get you started
Carbs then take over,

My regular Camino lunch has been - small can of tuna in oil, some bread and an apple. Always felt better afterwards and continued with a renewal of energy. May not have the exact proportions but has all the elements, particularly the fat and protein.
I think trial mix or equivalent - with dark chocolate, might be a good snack according to the video.
Breakfast - I rarely had an Albergue breakfast as I am a natural early bird. I used to have bread and cheese and maybe a piece of fruit about half an hour after I began my day where I could sit in the countryside. Still fits the suggested profile. And then hang out till I hit the first cafe/bar for out for my one coffee of the day.
I still need to listen to part 2 to find out more about the end of the day but it sounds like a chocolate milk might be the way to go.

Thanks so much for this thread. Has confirmed that my first Camino eating practice was pretty good and has given me many more hints and tips to have consistent energy, stay healthy and recover more quickly. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

My regular Camino lunch has been - small can of tuna in oil, some bread and an apple. Always felt better afterwards and continued with a renewal of energy. May not have the exact proportions but has all the elements, particularly the fat and protein.
I think trial mix or equivalent - with dark chocolate, might be a good snack according to the video.
Breakfast - I rarely had an Albergue breakfast as I am a natural early bird. I used to have bread and cheese and maybe a piece of fruit about half an hour after I began my day where I could sit in the countryside. Still fits the suggested profile. And then hang out till I hit the first cafe/bar for out for my one coffee of the day.
I still need to listen to part 2 to find out more about the end of the day but it sounds like a chocolate milk might be the way to go.

Yes, the second video is very interesting too.
Particularly the snack within 15 mins of stopping at the end of the day.
Seems important and might help with rejuvenation for the next day.
I'll certainly try it..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It isn't hard to supply yourself with those. I'd skip the head of lettuce and eat carrots, red/green peppers, or cucumber.
I love to take fresh vegies (carrots keep well) along with hommous for protein. Agree with all the suggestions for avos, eggs, cheese. My trail mix (nuts, dried fruit) always includes some dark chocolate. 😀

When reading those nutrition labels, it pays to heed the serving size. In this case, the serving size is one cup (240 ml), but OP is drinking 1 liter of milk, so multiply by 4. That means ingesting 112g of carbs, as well as 1000 mg sodium and 1200 mg potassium. The sodium and potassium would be important to recovery too. Chocolate milk would have even higher sugar content.

I've been on a keto diet for years now -- yes, even before Covid and even while walking the Geneva route (giving up croissants was tough) -- and I've found it really works to prevent those low-blood-sugar-in-the-afternoon bonking episodes.
Made me chuckle - I think 'bonking' has a different meaning in some countries🤣

After three caminos, I have worked out what works for me...

Once I have arranged accommodation for the evening, it is time to hydrate - 800 ml of water (that is the size of my drinking bottle) with one or two electrolyte replacement tablets, then do the daily washing, then walk around the twon and maybe find a bar for a lemon beer (first choice) or a wine or licor de cafe.

I sweat more readily than most people, so salt depletion was a concern - I brought Hydrolate tablets/sachets with me from home, and purchased equivalent from pharmacias. A word of warning - the electrolyte replacement tablets I purchased in Spain and Portugal were quite high in Magnesium and Potassium, and I had to be careful just how many of these I took each evening...

That has worked for me; it probably isnt what many others require....

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can *single dose* protein powder packets be found along the CF? what about collagen packets?

Personally I'd try to keep it simple, utilising readily available foods from local stores along the way.
For those kinds of things I suspect you'd need a nutrition, sports, body builders type store in a major city or at least a good pharmacy. Not many of those in villages along the way.

Part 3 is interesting. on hydration.

Certainly some food or fluid, for thought in it......

My key takeaways, in case you don't want to watch it all are:

1. Drink to Plan. i.e. planned water intake, can make you drink too much.
  2. Drink to Thirst. i.e. drink as you feel thirty, often leads to drinking too little.
  3. Understanding both strategies and balancing the two makes most sense.
  4. Above all, monitor your urine colour.
Potentially, my strategy of 1 litre / 10 kms is probably not quite enough.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nuts and cheese for fats! I picked up a packet of Laughing Cow cheese which is one of my least favourite cheeses, but it came in individually wrapped servings and was easily transported. A small roll and spreadable cheese is a great midday snack (or evening snack).

Yes, I always leave the albergue with Baby Bell, banana, nut/fruit gorp and orange. Sometimes it's the snack, sometimes the lunch and when nothing else is open, dinner. Always try to buy these the evening before. Mid morning, I am on the hunt for tortilla espanol and fresh orange juice. Y por supuesta, cafe Americano grande. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When we do a hard hike, we always have something in the car to eat on the way home. On the Camino, we tried to do the same thing and we tried to make it so that we didn’t have to shop for it. Ideally nuts because they have fat, carbs, and protein In a compact form. Eaten with a bottle of hydration juice on hot days.

My regular Camino lunch has been - small can of tuna in oil, some bread and an apple.
I don’t want to be Chicken Little here, but I think some caution about a can of tuna a day might be in order, particularly if it is albacore. The mercury content in tuna is very high. I believe there are wildly divergent medical views on a safe level of tuna, but here is an old article from the Washington Post- It is actually the very article that alerted a friend of mine to the fact that her symptoms could possibly be coming from her daily tuna fish salad sandwich. That’s what it was. I think I remember that the treatment consisted of nothing more than immediate cessation of tuna intake, and she did fully recover.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Sugars get you started
Carbs then take over,

Yes - Through hiker diets are not necessary for the Camino. There are some similarities - but there is no need to eat all of the processed foods that fuel a through hiker. The Camino is not a wilderness hike. You can stop at bars and restaurants at least daily if not all throughout the day. You can stop in grocery stores in each town you pass through - and most days you will pass through several towns.

The translation? Get lots of good protein and some carbs - but you can pick healthier protein and carbs on the Camino. Unless you are like me and have very special dietary needs and/or are a picky meat eater. I struggle with both - I can't eat what other pilgrims eat and I am very picky about meat. But the tortilla works well for me! I had LOTS of tortilla for protein/carbs! For the Camino - no need to eat high fat foods - certainly not the bad fats. You aren't excerting the same sort of energy a through hiker is exerting. They are carrying 40+ pound packs and hiking all day every day - they don't have the luxury of stopping in an albergue at 2pm for the rest of the day.

Runner's diet from years ago was Carbs Before/Protein After. Helps rationalize that morning croissant.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
there is no need to eat all of the processed foods that fuel a through hiker. The Camino is not a wilderness hike. You can stop at bars and restaurants at least daily if not all throughout the day. You can stop in grocery stores in each town you pass through - and most days you will pass through several towns.
I think this is a very important distinction. I have never had the slightest problem finding carbs, proteins and fats along the Camino. However, I always keep an emergency supply of nuts and a bottle of Kas or Aquaius in my back pack.

I don't think this is off topic, but . . .

What caught my attention was not the "exhausted" in your opening statement, but the "demoralized." This has me more concerned than the exhausted part.

After a good number of kilometers on the Camino, you are bound to be exhausted. And, since you are an adult, you probably have a good handle on what makes you feel better, nutrition-wise, so take and ignore whatever advice has been offered here already. I believe your food intake will adjust on its own to the right time, amount, and items (from what is available).

Why are you demoralized? A decent place to lay your sleeping bag, a shower, a basin to wash your clothes in, a short nap, some new companions who are going through the same struggles as you, if not more, a good dinner, some vino, a slow stroll around the village, an early bedtime - all these should put you in a good frame of mind by the next day.

So, again, why demoralized? I'm concerned.

I don’t want to be Chicken Little here, but I think some caution about a can of tuna a day might be in order, particularly if it is albacore. The mercury content in tuna is very high.
Not to mention what that does to Tuna populations. And porpoises who get caught accidentally, or Burmese refugees basically enslaved on Thai Tuna boats., or, or, or. . .
In Spain there are countless better fuel options that come with less consequence to your health and the health of everyone on the planet.

For a quick pick-me-up along the way I love nuts especially when they come with salt.
And I never turn down a good slice of tortilla.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Haven't done the Camino but I have done some endurance events including multi-day ones. You can see me drinking low-fat chocolate milk along with wearing compression leg sleeves for recovery or putting up my legs. This is to lessen lactic acid buildup in my legs. I also stretch after my event.

Well, Costco says its' Wild Planet albacore tuna is "sustainably pole and line caught" and their "smaller albacore . . . contain less mercury than larger albacore." Criminee, I have been trying to avoid methane producing, heart unhealthy red meat. We do eat wild caught Alaska red salmon once or twice a week. Ok, ok, I will cut way back on tuna, except for atun on my ensalada mixta en espana. Buen Camino

I don't think this is off topic, but . . .

What caught my attention was not the "exhausted" in your opening statement, but the "demoralized." This has me more concerned than the exhausted part.

After a good number of kilometers on the Camino, you are bound to be exhausted. And, since you are an adult, you probably have a good handle on what makes you feel better, nutrition-wise, so take and ignore whatever advice has been offered here already. I believe your food intake will adjust on its own to the right time, amount, and items (from what is available).

Why are you demoralized? A decent place to lay your sleeping bag, a shower, a basin to wash your clothes in, a short nap, some new companions who are going through the same struggles as you, if not more, a good dinner, some vino, a slow stroll around the village, an early bedtime - all these should put you in a good frame of mind by the next day.

So, again, why demoralized? I'm concerned.
I believe the demoralized bit comes from the science of “bonking”. When your energy stores run low not only your muscles suffer but your ability to reason does as well. Thus you may be surrounded by all these wonderful things you describe but your brain, suffering from lack of fuel, is unable to reason clearly.

You may as well ask why can’t someone suffering a diabetic attack just buck up.

The goal of my original post was to share some of the new thinking in nutrition.

See below for some of the cognitive issues. https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/what-is-bonking-causes-dangers-and-prevention/

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I believe the demoralized bit comes from the science of “bonking”. When your energy stores run low not only your muscles suffer but your ability to reason does as well. Thus you may be surrounded by all these wonderful things you describe but your brain, suffering from lack of fuel, is unable to reason clearly.

You may as well ask why can’t someone suffering a diabetic attack just buck up.

The goal of my original post was to share some of the new thinking in nutrition.

See below for some of the cognitive issues. https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/what-is-bonking-causes-dangers-and-prevention/
I think I understand the condition you are talking about, Bombay Bill, and, you are right, it is not a pleasant one.

My own close encounter to this state of affairs was due to dehydration. I was able to keep to the same amount and timing of meals on the Camino, so nutrition was not a problem.

But dehydration, oh boy, it only has to happen once.

Luckily, I was carrying water, just not drinking it! A rest stop in the shade put me back about an hour, but also put me back on my feet.

Nutrition wise, I pretty much stuck to my normal eating habits (which improved while walking).

Of course, I always carried an emergency pack of gorp (chocolate melted in the heat, even the M&Ms), cheese (also melted, you don't want to know), and maybe a tiny cookie. Enough to get me to the next town.

Chugging a litre of UHT doesn't appeal to me. I am old school. Grab a beer or two with a bag of salty crisps or local olives waiting for the albergue to open, take a refreshing shower, wash your clothes then search out the best menu del dia in the town and wash down the 4 courses with a fine bottle of Roija or Albarino. Wake up early around 6am and walk another 25km+ and start that healthy diet allover again.

I have breakfast at the albergue if they have it waiting for the sun to rise. I find albergue breakfasts poor and stale bread. I look forward to the frequent cafe du Leche stops and whatever else they have. I don't carry food, don't stop for lunch per se. I eat a large dinner.
One night I was tired and it was raining so got snacks from the corner store, ate them and went to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:

€60,-
Haven't done the Camino but I have done some endurance events including multi-day ones. You can see me drinking low-fat chocolate milk along with wearing compression leg sleeves for recovery or putting up my legs. This is to lessen lactic acid buildup in my legs. I also stretch after my event.
The compression leg sleeves are interesting. I have occasionally been walking in knee high compression socks at home and brought a pair with me. Sounds like they will be good for leg recovery even if I don’t wear them that day. Thank you.

Does unsweetened chocolate milk count?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back