• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to recycle on the Camino

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Spain has excellent recycling facilities in even very small villages, for plastic, paper/card, cans etc.

Batteries can be recycled in many of these recycling bins, in a small slot marked PILAS. Also you can recycle batteries in many places where you buy them, especially camera shops.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,
Unfortunately there is also a lot of garbage on the way especially in the last 100kms not everybody is putting their rubbish in the bins.!!
Susanna

Susanna said:
Hi,
Unfortunately there is also a lot of garbage on the way especially in the last 100kms not everybody is putting their rubbish in the bins.!!
Susanna

Yes, Susanna, that's the problem. People carry food inside the plastics and after eating it they throw the plastic, etc, they don't carry it to the next town. In my opinion this is really a worse problem.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Terve,
this tells us the attitude towards the environment. What it tells us about pilgrimmage, I´m not sure, but it is very annoying. If I´m able to carry my food, I´m also able to carry my waste to the next pin.
-T-

In defense of pilgrims in general, it only takes an occasional litterbug. I followed a group of teenage school pilgrims one morning. They stopped at a vending machine, bought candy and chips, and for the next hour, I watched them leave a trail of of discarded wrappers! There was not any peer pressure, or an adult leader, to urge them to carry the trash to the next disposal area. No one in the group of about twelve would admit to speaking English, but I exchanged greetings with them for two days, and they were very nice kids. They just were not thinking about keeping the environment clean. One person with a can of paint or a Magic Marker can leave extensive graffiti, and one person with no regard for the cleanliness or appearance of the Camino can leave a mess that lasts days or years (orange peels never degrade, by the way; tissue may last only until the next big rain).

Someone is bound to ask, so, yes, I did pick up after the kids since their mothers were nowhere in sight.

Terve,
I´ve been thinking about the Camino. Is it really a pilgrimmage or just a "adventure"/hiking experience?.It´s not what you say, but what you do.
-T-

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back