• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to return from Tui or Vigo to Porto

cecilie@thewolery

Hello,
I will be walking from Porto heading North as far as I can get in a week, in early June. Can someone advise me to how I can get back to Porto from either Tui or Vigo, or somewhere near there?
I have booked my flights landing and departing from Porto.
I am also unsure if I really need to bring a sleeping bag? I have a sleeping bag liner, and would love to not have the extra weight.
I am very excited about my very first Camino, and hope it will be the first of many!
Thank you for this fantastic forum!
X cecilie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are also buses.
Autna run buses from Vigo: 09.00;12.00;16.00 and 19.00 they go through Valenca at 08.25;11.25;15.25 and 18.25 (Portugal time is an hour behind Spain)
Alsa has a bus at 12.30 from Vigo, 13.10 from Tui. I am almost certain that the Alsa bus goes from Santiago.
The bus station in Valenca is in the very large car park you walk through on the way into Valenca.
Sue

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have found that the turismo offices in Portugal are the best sources of information on how to get from point A to point B. They have all of the bus and train schedules from their location, and can steer you to one over the other depending on which is the more efficient way to your destination.

I learned today that Portugal has a unified train system but the bus routes are run by different companies and are harder to figure out. Also there is regular bus service on weekdays but on weekends fewer buses run.

Based on my experience I'd suggest that you visit the Turismo office in Valença the day before you need to leave and see what they suggest. I don't know if Spain has a similar service.

Cynthia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We did this quite easily only a fortnight ago. Catch the train to Vigo from Santiago, have a nice lunch in Vigo and at around 1900hrs the train leaves for Tui, Valence and through to Porto. It arrives about 2100hrs. It is cheap, comfortable and fun.

Thank you very much! The train sounds like a great idea.
How long did you walk for? What was the weather like? Did you have sleeping bags with you, or just liners? Did you stay in hostels, and if so did they have blankets? I am trying to travel with out my sleeping bag, but I am still unsure....Just gathering the last little bits of information before we leave on Sunday...I am so excited!
Love
Cecilie

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back