• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to start a blog

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to go in April (2014)
I am planning to do the Camino next April. I would like to write a blog as I go. I have no idea how to best do this. Should I rely on 'net cafes, or invest in a mini note book, ipad? I do need to have a key pad and I can get one for the ipad.
I also see a 'My Camino' blog site, but again have no idea how to get into that. Any and all advice very welcome.
cheers, Trish

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I currently have a WordPress Blog (link should be in my signature.) I plan on keeping it updated as much as I can while I am walking from Le Puy to Santiago in March/April/May. I absolutely love WP and there is an app that allows you to easily update and add pictures, even videos. My phone can connect to the WiFi and I won't have to carry extra technology, even though I would love to-I don't want to have to worry about it. I will also have a journal. Are you going in 2014 or 2015? :)

I second Choweth/Pilgrim on the Run's vote, Wordpress hosts my blog too! User-friendly, lots of options, and you can get a one set up (free or low annual fee) in just a couple of hours. I'm not planning to carry any hi-tech gadgets, so I'll only update my blog whenever I happen to find a convenient time and spot to log on ;) Good luck, and have fun!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks, but could you all pretend I am a dummy and start from scratch. I don't even know what Word Press is?? Also I am going in 2014

Good that you have some time! The only way to learn is to try it. Like any computer endeavour, sometimes it is so easy, but other times you will spend hours figuring out how to do something trivial.

Go to www.wordpress.com and get started. They have put a lot effort into explaining what to do. If you have trouble, maybe get someone to set things up so you can just enter posts.

It is easier to set things up on a proper computer, but you need to get some practice working with whatever device you plan to take.

Good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use travelpod. There is no setting up, you create a username, and it gives you unlimited space for photos/videos. You can place email addresses in there or link to a facebook account. Write your story, push send, and all your contacts get the info

Davroos,
thanks for your reply to my bloggy question. Did you just use available ''net along the way or did you have an ipad or similar? If the available 'net are they set up so you can download photos off the memory card?
thanks

travelingtrish,

Many of us use Google Blogger to create our blogs and Blogspot to host them. See this HELPFUL WEB with pictures on how to start. Once you have a blog you can add posts and photos to it from your smartphone or any computer. Editing is also easy so just give it a try. Nothing is written in stone!

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
travelingtrish,

Many of us use Google Blogger to create our blogs and Blogspot to host them. See this HELPFUL WEB with pictures on how to start. Once you have a blog you can add posts and photos to it from your smartphone or any computer. Editing is also easy so just give it a try. Nothing is written in stone!

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
anyone told you lately that your are awesome Margaret? ....well you are awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I shall give a couple of these a try. to the second question, rely on internet or bring my tablet?

Yes what is the general consensus with that? Have some of you carried tablets with you and what were your experiences?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a Tumblr blog (http://my-camino.tumblr.com/) and it works great!

All you have to do is create a Tumblr account and you've got yourself a blog to start posting with!

Much more simple than Word Press, Blogger, and others in my opinion. And it can be updated while actually on the Camino as it has a superb mobile app for iPhone/iPod.

Buen Camino! Good luck with the website. :)

Yes what is the general consensus with that? Have some of you carried tablets with you and what were your experiences?
I'm lying in bed in the Roncevalles Hotel typing this at 6:37am while my wife catches a few minutes more sleep.
If you wish to stay connected, it works well....I use an ipad mini.

I am heading to bed extremely jealous and at the same time so very excited for you both...
Bueno Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used my KoboArc reader which was/is wifi capable.
I had just purchased a Sony camera which was also wifi capable.
I was able to download my photos wirelessly and blog/Facebook along the way.
I had done a Himalayan trek the year before and kept a written journal,
Both are fabulous ways to go, but the ability to do it online and add photos instantly was amazing.
Buen Camino
Cheryl

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back