Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

How to Start the Aragones from Oloron St. Marie, Bedous, or Canfranc Estacion

WanderlustingLawyer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Aragones (2021); Camino Frances (2018)
For anyone looking to walk the Camino Aragones, which meets up with the Camino Frances at Puente La Reina, I highly recommend starting in Oloron St. Marie or Bedous France and actually crossing the Pyrenees and entering Spain by at Somport. It's remote, stunning scenery, and the Pyrenees crossing is more challenging than the one at Roncesvalles. In this video, I provide detailed instructions for getting to Canfranc Estacion from Barcelona/Madrid, and then continuing on to Bedous and Oloron St. Marie.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
Thanks, that is very nice video presentation. I did something similar a few years ago, I took the train from Biarritz to Pau and then connected to the train to Oloron. I got there early enough in the day to have and afternoon to explore both towns. The 12th c. cathedral has a very nice vibe about it. I also stayed at the monastery in Sarrance and was feted by the monks who live there.
I would caution anyone who chooses this route to have some Camino experience, it is definitely not one I would suggest for your first time out. I was there in the late spring and I was the only pilgrim on the route between Oloron and Eunate, except for a group of French cyclist I stayed with in Arres.
I regretted not going to San Juan de la Pena, but was fortunate enough to do that years later by car.
PS, you mentioned a dog attack, I had a similar situation with some Alsatians who were guarding their flock of sheep as I was walking along the abandoned train track out of Oloron, thank God I had my pole to repel them.

Last edited:

WanderlustingLawyer

Thanks for providing your insight! I too would not recommend this as a first Camino, especially for inexperienced hikers. I saw a few pilgrims, but not tons. I am so so so mad at myself for missing the experience in Sarrance - guess I have to get back! My poles also saved me from the dog - along with my screams, which finally brought the owner running.

Paul Davidson

For anyone looking to walk the Camino Aragones, which meets up with the Camino Frances at Puente La Reina, I highly recommend starting in Oloron St. Marie or Bedous France and actually crossing the Pyrenees and entering Spain by at Somport. It's remote, stunning scenery, and the Pyrenees crossing is more challenging than the one at Roncesvalles. In this video, I provide detailed instructions for getting to Canfranc Estacion from Barcelona/Madrid, and then continuing on to Bedous and Oloron St. Marie.
Must be one of the most beautiful starts to a Camino.

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
I flew from Paris to Pau, and started my Camino Aragoeese by walking from Pau to Lescar. The next day was a long walk to Oloron, followed by a shorter day the next day to Sarrance where I stayed in the monastery. The next day was a REALLY long walk from Sarrance to Somport I was so tired that night that I could not drink my share of a bottle of wine that we had with dinner.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Frances; Aragones; VdlP; Madrid-Invierno; Levante
I walked from Oloron Ste Marie to Puenta la Reina, then on to Santiago, in the fall of 2016, on my second camino walk. I flew from Calgary to CDG in Paris, bus to Orly, plane to Pau, bus into town then train to Oloron Ste Marie. I had some adventures along the way and met a few other pilgrims at various albergues, in particular, at the wonderful albergue at Arres. I visited San Juan de la Pena by bus from Jaca, and it continues to be my favourite site in all of my pilgrimages. I shall go back one day.

Last edited:

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Great news as I am scheduled to volunteer at the new Albergue in Canfranc mid-September! Afterwards I plan to bus to Oloron St Marie and start the Camino Aragones!
If you start at Oloron Ste Marie, you will be on the Camino d'Arles until you climb up to Somport Pass. That's fine, if that's how you want to do it.

Old Hillwalker

Del Norte 2018 & 2019
Camino de Torres 2022
In Early September I flew from Boston into Paris and took the train onto Pau. Stayed in a wonderful Pilgrim supporting B&B in Pau. I then walked to LaCommande and stayed at the tiny 4 bed Hostel there. The next morning I walked to Oloron Ste Marie. Then the next day up the valley to Somport Pass and thence onto the Camino Aragon. Lovely trip until I got to the crowds in Puente la Reina.

Funny, but not so much, was that in France people wouldn't use English with me until they found out that I was a Yankee, then suddenly they discovered they could speak some English. Some grudges are buried not to deeply in this world.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

el guapo 123

El guapo
2014 2016 2018
Found that really interesting and video presentation so much better. Agree about crossing the Pyrenees. Next June I plan to take the Valcarlos route which in 3 Caminos. I’ve never taken. Then bus to Pamplona and shared ride BlaBlaCar to Jaca. Bus to Canfranc Estacion and walk from there to Punta La Reina. Who knows I make Finisterre for the first time. Keep the videos coming.

peregrino_tom

Just chipping in as I'm totally in love with this part of the world and can't resist it..
Basically after leaving Oloron you are following the river Aspe up-stream. As you proceed, the mountains grow on either side, and then you are walking up and up the valley, eventually reaching Somport.
I'd just add that if you are fit, familiar with mountain hiking and walking July to mid-September and, have time to be adventurous, there's some amazing hiking to be had on either side of the valley. On the right side you can head up to the high plateau - type Cirque de Lescun into yr browser's image search. From there you can go up onto the ridge and follow GR11 and HRP to Somport, via the wonderful mountain refuge at Lac d'Arlet.
On the left side you can head off at Etsaut along the famous Chemin de la Mature, cut in to the rock face, on the GR10. This eventually takes you to the equally wonderful refuge at Ayous, from where it's less than 3 hrs easy walking across to Somport. Both routes go over 2000m which is why it's best to wait until July to be sure the snow has melted from the paths.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
My personal view of the relative difficulty in walking over the Pyrenees on the Frances and on the Aragones is different from that of the OP. I walked the Frances for my first camino, from SJPdP to Santiago, at the age of 67, over the Pyrenees with a night at Orisson. The next year I walked the Aragones from Oloron Ste Marie to Santiago, joining the Frances at Puenta la Reina. The OP's comment that the walk up to Somport was more difficult than that to Roncesvalles on the Napoleon does not agree with my experience. I walked from SJpdP to Orissson, then on the next day to Roncesvalles, and found the two days' walk strenuous and challenging, with a short, steep uphill walk on the first day and a longer day with a slippery downhill on the second. From Borce I walked over the col de Somport to the albergue just past the col, in one day, and found that day easier than either day on the Frances: not so steep uphill as the first, nor ending with a steep downhill before I arrived at my accommodation on the second day. My comment may well be a misunderstanding of the comparison, but I would not want pilgrims to avoid the Aragones on the grounds that the walk up to Somport was more difficult that the walk from SJPdP on the Napoleon to Roncesvalles.

sharon w

Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
We restarted our Chemin d’Arles at Toulouse. Even though the walk wasn’t the best out of Toulouse, the rest of the Chemin was wonderful. We were the only ones in the Gite that night who had walked out of Toulouse. Many take the train to the edge of the city.
Toulouse is very easy to get to, transport wise.

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Flog

2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
My personal view of the relative difficulty in walking over the Pyrenees on the Frances and on the Aragones is different from that of the OP.

I would not want pilgrims to avoid the Aragones on the grounds that the walk up to Somport was more difficult that the walk from SJPdP on the Napoleon to Roncesvalles

Our mood, our energy, the other pilgrims we encounter, the weather etc..
We each experience and reflect on the same path differently, and each have our own opinion, but should yours be the definitive one?

F

Former member 99290

It’s not important … but I often read on forum posts and elsewhere that the Aragones joins the Frances in Puenta la Reina. I’ve walked the Aragones twice and the path joined the Frances in Obanos. Puenta la Reina is 2-3 kms further west. Unless I went the wrong way … twice! I only add this because if pilgrims are coming from the Aragones, they have the option to stay in Obanos or walk on to PlaR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
It’s not important … but I often read on forum posts and elsewhere that the Aragones joins the Frances in Puenta la Reina. I’ve walked the Aragones twice and the path joined the Frances in Obanos.
From Santa María de Eunate there are two ways to go forward on the Francés. One goes to Obanos and the other to Puente la Reina via the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Arnotegui. There is a thread on this.

Last edited:

Pilgrim9

SJPdP-SdC (2017)
SdC-Muxia-Fisterra-SdC (2017)
Lisboa-SdC (2018)
Ferrol-SdC (2018)
My personal view of the relative difficulty in walking over the Pyrenees on the Frances and on the Aragones is different from that of the OP. I walked the Frances for my first camino, from SJPdP to Santiago, at the age of 67, over the Pyrenees with a night at Orisson. The next year I walked the Aragones from Oloron Ste Marie to Santiago, joining the Frances at Puenta la Reina. The OP's comment that the walk up to Somport was more difficult than that to Roncesvalles on the Napoleon does not agree with my experience. I walked from SJpdP to Orissson, then on the next day to Roncesvalles, and found the two days' walk strenuous and challenging, with a short, steep uphill walk on the first day and a longer day with a slippery downhill on the second. From Borce I walked over the col de Somport to the albergue just past the col, in one day, and found that day easier than either day on the Frances: not so steep uphill as the first, nor ending with a steep downhill before I arrived at my accommodation on the second day. My comment may well be a misunderstanding of the comparison, but I would not want pilgrims to avoid the Aragones on the grounds that the walk up to Somport was more difficult that the walk from SJPdP on the Napoleon to Roncesvalles.

Thank you for your contribution to the dialogue, Albertagirl. I enjoy and try to learn from the interplay of various opinions and information sources, especially in this case as I am still researching the Aragones.

I had tentatively put this route aside as being too challenging but having now read your comments, I have re-instated it as a candidate for my next pilgrimage.

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.
Camino Maps

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Our mood, our energy, the other pilgrims we encounter, the weather etc..
We each experience and reflect on the same path differently, and each have our own opinion, but should yours be the definitive one?
I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions on these and on other pilgrim routes which you have walked. This is how we can assist one another in deciding on and preparing our own walks.

Flog

I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions on these and on other pilgrim routes which you have walked. This is how we can assist one another in deciding on and preparing our own walks.

Indeed.. I have walked both these routes, more than once.
And I do like to offer opinion and advice... when it's asked for.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

WanderlustingLawyer

Thanks for the alternative perspective! My day did indeed end with steep downhill, but that's probably because I went all the way to Villanua; it was any extremely long day. I still believe this day would be very tough for new pilgrims, unless quite experienced in hiking, but I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from the challenge. Cheers!

Camino Primitivo 2022
Thanks, that is very nice video presentation. I did something similar a few years ago, I took the train from Biarritz to Pau and then connected to the train to Oloron. I got there early enough in the day to have and afternoon to explore both towns. The 12th c. cathedral has a very nice vibe about it. I also stayed at the monastery in Sarrance and was feted by the monks who live there.
I would caution anyone who chooses this route to have some Camino experience, it is definitely not one I would suggest for your first time out. I was there in the late spring and I was the only pilgrim on the route between Oloron and Eunate, except for a group of French cyclist I stayed with in Arres.
I regretted not going to San Juan de la Pena, but was fortunate enough to do that years later by car.
PS, you mentioned a dog attack, I had a similar situation with some Alsatians who were guarding their flock of sheep as I was walking along the abandoned train track out of Oloron, thank God I had my pole to repel them.
My plan is to do Camino Aragones this year, july/august, and I am wondering where to start: Oloron or Somport. I have heard that the walk over Pyrenees is quite hard if you start in Oloron. I have done three Caminos so far,the fourth one will be Camino Primitivo in june, my second Primitivo. Is Camino Aragones harder and more difficult?

WanderlustingLawyer

My plan is to do Camino Aragones this year, july/august, and I am wondering where to start: Oloron or Somport. I have heard that the walk over Pyrenees is quite hard if you start in Oloron. I have done three Caminos so far,the fourth one will be Camino Primitivo in june, my second Primitivo. Is Camino Aragones harder and more difficult?
Hi! I haven't walked the Primitivo so I can't say for sure which is "harder." How much time do you have, and will you be walking alone or with a companion. The route from Oloron to Somport is absolutely stunning and I highly recommend it, especially if you can space it out more than I did. It's pretty solitary though, and personally, I wish I'd done it with someone else. Here is a video I made describing the hike over the Pyranees from France into Somport and onward. Let me know if you have any questions!

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
2016, 2022
Maybe we will see you! Be sure to stop at Canfranc Pueblo at the albergue. If not to stay over, to get a drink, use the bathroom or say "hi". We'll be there July 15-31 as hospitaleros.

Camino Maps
Create your own ad
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
I walked the Aragones as my second camino, in 2016, after walking the Frances the previous year. I was 68 at the time. There were some challenges in the Oloron Ste Marie to Somport section, mostly the result of a major storm which occurred the evening when I arrived. It put out the electricity and shut down everything. I already knew from tourist information that the Vallee d'Aspe was very wet. The walk up from Borce was no problem, certainly less steep than the walk to Orisson. I stayed at the albergue at the top. I would not want to have missed the walk up. Buen camino.

Is Camino Aragones harder and more difficult?
I found it quite easy for Santa Cilia on. That was the only part I walked though. I read many warnings about bringing food and water with you. I didn't find any problem with that but I walked in cooler and overcast conditions. If you decide to do a detour and walk to visit San Juan de la Peña (and you absolutely should do that somehow) things will be more difficult.

Camino Primitivo 2022
Hi! I haven't walked the Primitivo so I can't say for sure which is "harder." How much time do you have, and will you be walking alone or with a companion. The route from Oloron to Somport is absolutely stunning and I highly recommend it, especially if you can space it out more than I did. It's pretty solitary though, and personally, I wish I'd done it with someone else. Here is a video I made describing the hike over the Pyranees from France into Somport and onward. Let me know if you have any questions!
I have plenty of time and I do want to walk all the way to Santiago. Primitivo is quite hard, very beautiful thougt, and absolutely my favourite so far. I am going to walk alone, as always.
I am going to see the video soon, thanks for that!

Camino Primitivo 2022
I walked the Aragones as my second camino, in 2016, after walking the Frances the previous year. I was 68 at the time. There were some challenges in the Oloron Ste Marie to Somport section, mostly the result of a major storm which occurred the evening when I arrived. It put out the electricity and shut down everything. I already knew from tourist information that the Vallee d'Aspe was very wet. The walk up from Borce was no problem, certainly less steep than the walk to Orisson. I stayed at the albergue at the top. I would not want to have missed the walk up. Buen camino.
Thank you, Albertagirl!

How to Successfully Prepare for Your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Primitivo 2022
I found it quite easy for Santa Cilia on. That was the only part I walked though. I read many warnings about bringing food and water with you. I didn't find any problem with that but I walked in cooler and overcast conditions. If you decide to do a detour and walk to visit San Juan de la Peña (and you absolutely should do that somehow) things will be more difficult.
Thank you!

Flog

You shouldn't find the Aragoñes difficult in comparison to the primitivo, but you will find far fewer pilgrims and fewer options for eating and sleeping. With three caminos behind you, I'm sure you'll more than manage it..

2018, 2022 (planning - Voie du Puy or Via Tolosana
I am very glad to read this, Albertagirl, because I am nearly sure now that I will be walking the Chemin d'Arles in May, as my second Camino. If all goes to plan, I will celebrate my 69th birthday around the time I am approaching the Col de Somport- and it would be nice if it is less demanding than was the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees. That was a hard slog for me!

Camino Maps
2022 Camino Guides
By the way, is there any list of accommodations for this portion of the Chemin d'Arles and Aragones, similar to the list given at Pilgrim Office in St Jean PdP for CF? I ask because of your mention of "the albergue at the top" at Somport? I am aware of MiamMiam Dodo but wondering if there is a basic list of auberges/albergues?

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
I didn't think about bringing lots of cash with me after Jaca. There were no ATM's so I had to abort about halfway and take a bus to Pamplona

dick bird

Veteran Member
Plata, Ingles, Madrid, Norte, Primitivo, Invierno, Aragones, Olvidado, Chemin D'Arles
By the way, is there any list of accommodations for this portion of the Chemin d'Arles and Aragones, similar to the list given at Pilgrim Office in St Jean PdP for CF? I ask because of your mention of "the albergue at the top" at Somport? I am aware of MiamMiam Dodo but wondering if there is a basic list of auberges/albergues?
There is a very helpful pilgrim office in Toulouse, if that is where you start from. They provided us with just such a list. Or you can write to them, they would probably email the list.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
For those who like to watch videos, this is the Chemin D'Arles from Toulouse. The GR route is easy to follow, the people were kind (and those that could spoke English unprompted). Highly recommended.
Dick,
Fabulous video. I walked Le Puy to Toulouse then jumped on a bus to Burgos to finish the Camino in 2019. I did Oloron Ste. Marie to Santiago a few years earlier and your photos give me goose flesh. Thanks!

F

Former member 99290

Hi Anna. Gronze is usually a good starting point At the end of Arles, it continues with Aragones. 😎

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
The Confraternity of Saint James publishes an English guideboook to the Chemin d'Arles. I purchased a copy of the second section: ii Toulouse to Puente la Reina to help me along the way. It is currently listed on their website. As a guidebook, it was not updated very frequently, but rather pilgrims who passed through reported changes. These reports were inserted in copies of the guide when I bought mine.

Hi Anna. Gronze is usually a good starting point At the end of Arles, it continues with Aragones. 😎

Thank you! I will check out Gronze. Getting close for you two, now, isn't it?

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
I didn't think about bringing lots of cash with me after Jaca. There were no ATM's so I had to abort about halfway and take a bus to Pamplona
Come to think about it I don't remember using an ATM on the Aragonese. I had some euros in my pocket in Huesca and I used an ATM there. I must have taken out 300€, my usual. It was four days to the Aragonese and then five days to Puente la Reina.

I just now tried ATM in Sangüesa in Google Maps and it showed a few locations.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Come to think about it I don't remember using an ATM on the Aragonese. I had some euros in my pocket in Huesca and I used an ATM there. I must have taken out 300€, my usual. It was four days to the Aragonese and then five days to Puente la Reina.

I just now tried ATM in Sangüesa in Google Maps and it showed a few locations.
I believe you are correct but I ran out of cash 2 stages before there. I could have bailed out of the bus but I had already paid the full fare to Pamplona; and yes, as we passed through Sanguesa I say a bank. My bad!

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
It’s a good point to note that many of the things that pilgrims simply accept as fact on the CF or CP are not easily available on the CA: banks, ATMs, water, bathrooms, morning cafe, lunch, private rooms, etc. While you will find all of these in Canfranc, Jaca, and Sanguesa, you need to plan accordingly for the smaller villages you’ll be passing through. Some simply host an albergue and food, while others have zero commercial establishments.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
When I walked the Aragones, the bigges problem was water. In a couple of places there was a water fixture along the camino route which had recently been attached to a hose or pipe which went away from the camino and offered no access to pilgrims. Both were clearly originally designed as pilgrim fountains. I supposed that the major changes which the construction of the Yesa reservoir in the valley had brought about had made this change necessary to supply local residents with water. In my opinion, it is necessary for pilgrims to carry lots of water and to fill up whenever safe water is available.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Linda Fantillo

RiverWalker
September/October 14, May 17, September 18,
May22
I am very glad to read this, Albertagirl, because I am nearly sure now that I will be walking the Chemin d'Arles in May, as my second Camino. If all goes to plan, I will celebrate my 69th birthday around the time I am approaching the Col de Somport- and it would be nice if it is less demanding than was the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees. That was a hard slog for me!
Hi Anna, I will be doing this route also. Plan to start walking from Oloron St. Marie on the 18th of May. I am 71 and have a few Caminos behind me. When are you planning for?

Hi Anna, I will be doing this route also. Plan to start walking from Oloron St. Marie on the 18th of May. I am 71 and have a few Caminos behind me. When are you planning for?
Hi Linda, it's great to hear about your plans, too. I am a bit unsure about exact dates because of a special family event in Toulon at beginning of May, and even a little undecided about the starting point (Arles vs points further along the route...?) But, your query is a good stimulus- I need to decide this soon. I'm waiting for delivery of the MMDD guide to help clarify my planning. If you know this route already, that would help, too - do you want to keep in touch via pm on this Forum?

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
The OP's comment that the walk up to Somport was more difficult than that to Roncesvalles on the Napoleon does not agree with my experience.
In pure hiking terms, I'd agree -- getting over the pass itself is pretty simple, and it's a rather shorter hike from the bottom of it to the other side than SJPP > Roncesvalles.

What I did find more difficult was the monotony of much of the walk to reach the pass, enclosed as you are in such a narrow passage between claustrophobic mountain barriers on either side. (Of course, there are some wonderful places along the Way.)

Otherwise, for the Somport, I'd advise a start from Lourdes rather than from Oloron.
If you start at Oloron Ste Marie, you will be on the Camino d'Arles until you climb up to Somport Pass. That's fine, if that's how you want to do it.
IIRC the French GR waymarking ends, and the Spanish begins (yellow arrows !!) somewhat before the pass itself. And hmmmm, Oloron-Sainte-Marie > Puente la Reina has "official" names and so on, but technically it's still a variant route of the French Way. Spanish Camino maps in the 1990s showed the Ways to Santiago via both Roncesvalles and the Somport as the "Camino Francés".

Somewhat similarly, the stretch between Zaragoza and Logroño is simultaneously part of the Camí Catalàn, the Via del Ebro, the Camino Ignaciano, and of course, both the Camino de Santiago and the Via Romea -- and which of those it is for an individual pilgrim depends mostly on that pilgrim's own intents and purposes.
It’s not important … but I often read on forum posts and elsewhere that the Aragones joins the Frances in Puenta la Reina. I’ve walked the Aragones twice and the path joined the Frances in Obanos. Puenta la Reina is 2-3 kms further west. Unless I went the wrong way … twice! I only add this because if pilgrims are coming from the Aragones, they have the option to stay in Obanos or walk on to PlaR.
There are two options for joining the Francès -- the most obvious one takes you to Obanos, but a variant does take you straight to Puente.
There's bound to be one in Sangüesa -- and IIRC a few of the Albergues & restaurants etc. on the Way accept cards. (? Not really certain, as I was rather penniless on those days) But yeah, definitely carry a bit more food & cash than usual !!

Flog

For anyone looking to walk the Camino Aragones, which meets up with the Camino Frances at Puente La Reina, I highly recommend starting in Oloron St. Marie or Bedous France.
I'm looking back over these Aragoñes threads in anticipation of my next one! I've already walked the Aragoñes twice before from Somport.

This time, I'm hoping to walk the few days from Oloron St. Marie up and over the pass to take up my next hospi stint in Canfranc in mid October. I want to do as you have, take the bus from Canfranc Estacion to Bedous and the train from there to Oloron to begin walking. I have the train schedules but I can't find a schedule online for the bus? Is it a daily service? I should have paid more attention last time I was up in Canfranc Estacion!!

I want to do as you have, take the bus from Canfranc Estacion to Bedous and the train from there to Oloron to begin walking.
You can't get to Bedous from Canfranc without a 40km drive from Astun to Bedous according to rome2rio.

How to Successfully Prepare for Your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Flog

Yes, I see that too, thanks..
But in her video, @WanderlustingLawyer makes a clear reference to taking a bus from Estacion to Bedous. I'm sure I could get a taxi but would only do as a last resort...

lbeckhusen

Laurin B
Francis Portugese Primitivo Norte VdLP
I will be volunteer Hospitalero in Canfranc beginning September 15 after which I also plan to travel to Oloron St Marie and walk to Puente La Reina

Flog

I will be volunteer Hospitalero in Canfranc beginning September 15 after which I also plan to travel to Oloron St Marie and walk

Ah, looks like you will be about 10 days ahead of me! My plan is to head to Oloron around the 10th..

lbeckhusen

Laurin B
Ah, looks like you will be about 10 days ahead of me! My plan is to head to Oloron around the 10th..
I’m not sure how I will get from con Frank to Orion Saint Marie but I’m pretty sure the locals will tell me when I’m there

Try https://transports.nouvelle-aquitaine.fr/

I found this on a webpage that linked to a couple of its pdf schedules for Somport-Canfranc-Bedous-Oloron but the end dates for the schedules were June 4 and July 1. In French. Here is that webpage:

Camino Maps

Scott Sweeney

Veteran Member
We started our Camino Argones from Paris to Aix-en-Provence, and then on to Saint-Maximin-la-Sainte-Baume ( Sanctuary of Mary Magdalene and not a official start to the Argones. ) and walked to Oloron, Lescar and then over the mountains to Jaca. We did spend a night at ConFrance Estacion and did get to see the light show at the train station. We did get to San Juan de la Pena by bus and walked back to Jaca. We got to Saint Mary of Eunate the last day of that season. When we met up with the CF we walked back to SJPP. It was this route that told me I couldn't cross the Pyrenees two times in one Camino. By far one of our favorite Caminos.

Sounds like you had a good time.

Last edited:

Flog

Try https://transports.nouvelle-aquitaine.fr/

I found this on a webpage that linked to a couple of its pdf schedules for Somport-Canfranc-Bedous-Oloron but the end dates for the schedules were June 4 and July 1. In French. Here is that webpage:

That's really helpful thanks, I couldn't find that! Even if the schedule is reduced later in the year, there clearly are buses between the two towns! Leaving from Zaragoza early morning, I should be able to get to Oloron by the late afternoon, one less thing to worry about!

That's really helpful thanks, I couldn't find that! Even if the schedule is reduced later in the year, there clearly are buses between the two towns!
I was headed to this thread anyway, before seeing your post, to add that possibly the service is only provided during ski season and Wanderlust had the luck to be be in the area during that time. Perhaps you should contact
https://transports.nouvelle-aquitaine.fr/ so you will have the opportunity to seek other transportation if that is the case.

Flog

Yes, now that I have the website, perhaps I can find a French speaker to look into it for me! I'm confident I'll figure something, thanks again!

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Hey Flog! (And Laurin!). There was definitely a bus running from Estacion to Oloron in November 2021 (pre-ski season). We found that the tourist office in Estacion had all the answers to all the questions and one person even spoke English! Their #: +34 974 37 31 41

EDIT: I should add that I was told the bus route is designed to replace the non functioning sections of the Canfranc-Pau train route. So it leaves Canfranc and will stop in Bedous IF the train is running to there, otherwise it will terminate in Oloron.

Last edited:

Flog

Either option good to know! Thanks!!
Yeah, I remember they were very helpful at the tourist place!

Last edited:

Linda Fantillo

RiverWalker
September/October 14, May 17, September 18,
May22
I recently walked from Oloron St.Marie to Canfrac Stn. And then on to the Aragones. Write if you have any questions.

lbeckhusen

Laurin B
Hey Flog! (And Laurin!). There was definitely a bus running from Estacion to Oloron in November 2021 (pre-ski season). We found that the tourist office in Estacion had all the answers to all the questions and one person even spoke English! Their #: +34 974 37 31 41

EDIT: I should add that I was told the bus route is designed to replace the non functioning sections of the Canfranc-Pau train route. So it leaves Canfranc and will stop in Bedous IF the train is running to there, otherwise it will terminate in Oloron.
Thanks as always Vacajoe🙏

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon