• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to stream the movie "The Way" in the US

Time of past OR future Camino
PlanFuture(2023)
Hello - I see the post regarding "the way" movie are old. I have searched and searched and haven't been able to figure out how to stream the movie. I have found it listed on a couple of providers but the movie is "unavailable" or it directs you to a different movie with the same name. Does anyone out there know FOR SURE, where I can got to either rent of buy the movie. I am very techno savvy but I really use some help here. Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have two copies of a DVD version (there are several versions) that I picked up at a second-hand bookstore. If you are browsing and the DVDs aren't in some sort of order look for a bright yellow spine, few DVDs have that.

Another way to view the movie is to call the American Red Cross and volunteer to donate platlets. They set you with a screen and streaming to keep you entertained for the two hours you are hooked up. The Way is two hours long. This is the way (no pun intended) I usually watch the movie. It works at my donation center anyway.

There are a number of threads on the forum where posts mention scenes and link to a YouTube video. This video used to say it was in Spanish but it was in English. At any rate it was taken down.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought the DVD ten years ago, my brother borrowed it and never returned it, lol. I bought another one off of amazon a few years ago, thankfully.
There's a website called internet archive that you can watch it on. I have no idea the technicalities of the site and like anything on the internet, may or may not be sketchy.

Try Rakuten.tv. It's showing there plus I have a copy so I can stream it on my phone - just to check I'm on the correct route ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello - I see the post regarding "the way" movie are old. I have searched and searched and haven't been able to figure out how to stream the movie. I have found it listed on a couple of providers but the movie is "unavailable" or it directs you to a different movie with the same name. Does anyone out there know FOR SURE, where I can got to either rent of buy the movie. I am very techno savvy but I really use some help here. Thanks
It’s on YOU TUBE. But maybe not everywhere?

Attachments

• 46516B3C-9102-4E48-B720-8C9C918C49D1.png
    46516B3C-9102-4E48-B720-8C9C918C49D1.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 53
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is only in Spanish (dubbed). There used to be an undubbed version but it seems to have been taken down.
It appears that The Way is currently not licensed for streaming in the US where @JudyWanaWander is trying to watch it.

Please don't post ways to watch the movie illegally. (I don't mean you @lt56ny, but there have been a couple of posts with links to suspect sites)

This works in Canada on Tubi TV;

I have Tubi and watch it often but it I live in Mexico. Not available here. People should check out the sight. It works well and is legal. You can stream on your computer. I have Apple TV and there is an app for Tubi on the Apple app sight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use www.justwatch.com to find where movies or TV shows are being streamed. When you access the website it should show you data in your country/region. In France, for example, "The Way - La Route Ensemble" is streaming on Amazon Prime or you can rent it from Apple TV for €3.99.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Streamable as of now in the US. Closed captioned only in Spanish.

L95ELhC5NMI
I like to watch it before I start a camino. I hadn't heard of the movie until after I walked my first camino. My first reaction was how did they find all those good meals on Pilgrim menus ;) :) ;) :) . My first camino a pilgrim menu was first course -head lettuce with an olive or two and a slice or two of a green unripe tomato. Or some bad spaghetti, I think another option was a plate of rice. Second course greasy fatty chicken leg/thigh, or rubbery lomo or hake. Third course was a little plastic yogurt, maybe hopefully a little square of ice cream and of course arroz con leche. Water or VIno Tinto!!!!!! Delicious uggggggg usually 7 or 8 Euros. Vegetarians starved to death!

Sounds like all that "freedom" they always talk about in the US might just be a myth. 🤭
Have you tried the good old fashioned library? Or Peacock? Or Kanopy? Or even Facebook Marketplace?
Otherwise, to skirt around all that "freedom", you might want to investigate using a VPN, and start enjoying what the rest of the world gets to experience 😍

It’s available to rent or buy on iTunes in Australia just checked. Hopefully the US version might have it if you haven’t checked there already?
Alternatively, get a VPN subscription and then use it to set your country to one where it is available to rent on a streaming service like Amazon Prime etc. you will have to watch it on your laptop rather than your tv but if there’s a will there is a way.

Yeah that's what I discovered too. I'll keep reading responses maybe a solution will come up.
@JudyWanaWander ,
I wanted to watch the movie The Way, before my Camino May/June this year, but could not find it anywhere except on Amazon to buy it for $25 . I did not buy. Hopefully some time in the future some sort of network will steam it. My two cents.
Buen Camino. 🇨🇦

This works in Canada on Tubi TV;

Tom is not unlikeable (imo). He's a bit cantankerous, a bit irascible, doesn't suffer fools gladly, but not unlikeable. Btw, did you ever hear of anybody who did suffer fools gladly? When I saw the title 'How to stream the Way', I thought, "Great!" But I soon realised the OP's title should have been "How do you stream 'The Way?'"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like to watch it before I start a camino. I hadn't heard of the movie until after I walked my first camino. My first reaction was how did they find all those good meals on Pilgrim menus ;) :) ;) :) . My first camino a pilgrim menu was first course -head lettuce with an olive or two and a slice or two of a green unripe tomato. Or some bad spaghetti, I think another option was a plate of rice. Second course greasy fatty chicken leg/thigh, or rubbery lomo or hake. Third course was a little plastic yogurt, maybe hopefully a little square of ice cream and of course arroz con leche. Water or VIno Tinto!!!!!! Delicious uggggggg usually 7 or 8 Euros. Vegetarians starved to death!
Geez,… did I miss that 7/8 Euro pilgrim meal on CF ? small/medium/big town have that same pretty crummy pilgrim meal..
don’t forget French fries with every meal,..
and I paid through out Camino walk between 12/15 euros When ever I had the pilgrim meal. ( lack of choice and options at so many albergues or nearby them)
It sounds like a bargain to me at 7/8 euros. 😆
Cheers to all the pilgrims.
Buen Camino.

Geez,… did I miss that 7/8 Euro pilgrim meal on CF ? small/medium/big town have that same pretty crummy pilgrim meal..
don’t forget French fries with every meal,..
and I paid through out Camino walk between 12/15 euros When ever I had the pilgrim meal. ( lack of choice and options at so many albergues or nearby them)
It sounds like a bargain to me at 7/8 euros. 😆
Cheers to all the pilgrims.
Buen Camino.
You are so right how could I have possibly have missed the veggie portion of those fine meals!!! Ah the mouth watering french fries!!!!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know how influential and important this film is to so many of us. In your search may I recommend this documentary. Believe me I am a big camino addict and have spent about a zillion hours watching videos on YouTube and Vimeo. This doc really captures the meaning of Camino. At least for me it does.

It appears that The Way is currently not licensed for streaming in the US where @JudyWanaWander is trying to watch it.

Please don't post ways to watch the movie illegally. (I don't mean you @lt56ny, but there have been a couple of posts with links to suspect sites)
Does anyone know why such a popular movie would no longer be available in the USA?

Does anyone know why such a popular movie would no longer be available in the USA?
The Way was a low budget independently produced film. Possibly they had only short term licenses for the music. That does seem a little weird to me but it does make more sense for the reason why it isn't streamed in the US. Estevez may not have been able to afford streaming rights.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
https://archive.org/details/TheWay20101CDRO Try this link.

You can also purchase it on Google Play through YouTube.

you can buy a DVD on Amazon--looks like no one is streaming it. wierd.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sounds like all that "freedom" they always talk about in the US might just be a myth. 🤭
Have you tried the good old fashioned library? Or Peacock? Or Kanopy? Or even Facebook Marketplace?
Otherwise, to skirt around all that "freedom", you might want to investigate using a VPN, and start enjoying what the rest of the world gets to experience 😍
Unfortunately those freedom loving VPN users also tend to surf the dark web with it. That nefarious abyss of activities such as illegal narcotics dealing and human trafficking. Don't know about you, but not my idea of anything to enjoy.

You should see “I’ll Push You”, amazing Camino true story movie! On Prime for a small fee.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have ROKU stream service and HULU tv, I searched on mine and both HULU and Amazon Prime Video has the movie in my part of the USA, Florida! Hope it helps

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We got a CD copy from the local library. Free... but we had to wait a week till it became available.

It is regularly shown on Australian tv (again yesterday) , on SBS 2. They have an app called SBS on demand on which you can often find the movies and programs that have been shown on tv. I wonder if you could access the app in the US?

Unfortunately those freedom loving VPN users also tend to surf the dark web with it. That nefarious abyss of activities such as illegal narcotics dealing and human trafficking. Don't know about you, but not my idea of anything to enjoy.
Fair point; but it’s not compulsory to use your VPN for illegal purposes. I always route through my VPN when on any wifi other than my own.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That categorization of VPN users is actually false. Over 31% of all Internet users, worldwide, utilize a VPN*, and over half of these indicate doing so to protect their privacy and increase security while on public WiFi and over 40% while traveling. Over half (56%) use their VPN to stream media services (Netflix). The vast majority of VPN users are in countries where government control over public speech is considered very high. Only approximately 13% of VPN users do so to access TOR sites (the "dark web"), even while the TOR Project (developers of the open source TOR browser) advise against doing so as it may actually diminish the privacy encryption in TOR. I'm sorry, but suggesting that VPN users do so "to surf the dark web" would be misinformed. But I understand why that misperception is out there.

*stats via DataProt.net 2022

Only approximately 13% of VPN users do so to access TOR sites (the "dark web"), even while the TOR Project (developers of the open source TOR browser) advise against doing so as it may actually diminish the privacy encryption in TOR
And what became TOR was intially developed at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory and patented by the US Navy. It was developed to facilitate privacy. It can be used for noncriminal use too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Apparently you can stream it in Netflix

That categorization of VPN users is actually false. Over 31% of all Internet users, worldwide, utilize a VPN*, and over half of these indicate doing so to protect their privacy and increase security while on public WiFi and over 40% while traveling. Over half (56%) use their VPN to stream media services (Netflix). The vast majority of VPN users are in countries where government control over public speech is considered very high. Only approximately 13% of VPN users do so to access TOR sites (the "dark web"), even while the TOR Project (developers of the open source TOR browser) advise against doing so as it may actually diminish the privacy encryption in TOR. I'm sorry, but suggesting that VPN users do so "to surf the dark web" would be misinformed. But I understand why that misperception is out there.

*stats via DataProt.net 2022
Whatever floats your boat, but yeah that's 13% too much IMO. I'll take a hard pass.
Happy trails

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whatever floats your boat, but yeah that's 13% too much IMO. I'll take a hard pass.
Happy trails
Just because a tool can be used for nefarious purposes doesn't make the tool bad or not useful for legitimate purposes.

It's often recommended to use a VPN when you are using public Wi-Fi networks to avoid having sensitive information stolen, because someone with nefarious intent could be nearby.

Last edited:
My 1st camino, El Norte in 2010 had great pilgrim meals. I was stoked. Mainly 8 ir 8 euros for 4 courses and wine!

€149,-
Hi I watched this movie last weekend on Amazon Prime. It’s free here in the UK? Good Luck, it’s worth watching.

Just because a tool can be used for nefarious purposes doesn't make the tool bad or not useful for legitimate purposes.

It's often recommended to use a VPN when you are using public Wi-Fi networks to avoid having sensitive information stolen, because someone with nefarious intent could be nearby.
I realize that, but the original comment about the VPN just plain had a cringy creepy vibe to it. At least to me it did.

My 1st camino, El Norte in 2010 had great pilgrim meals. I was stoked. Mainly 8 ir 8 euros for 4 courses and wine!
I too had very good meals on the Norte. I think of the Caminos I have done the Norte ranks only behind the Camino from Le Puy for food. A distant second. Overall I do think the food has generally improved on the CF.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have Tubi and watch it often but it I live in Mexico. Not available here. People should check out the sight. It works well and is legal. You can stream on your computer. I have Apple TV and there is an app for Tubi on the Apple app sight.
If country availability is a stumbling block, it is time for a VPN. Some, I hear can be had for free.

If country availability is a stumbling block, it is time for a VPN. Some, I hear can be had for free.
From what I have read in source publications writing about free VPN's the overwhelming consensus is to avoid them as your information and viewing habits are usually sold and they do not really care who they are selling it to.

And what became TOR was intially developed at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory and patented by the US Navy. It was developed to facilitate privacy. It can be used for noncriminal use too.
I remember when I asked my kids about the "Dark Web" and they said to me, "Dad, remember what you said your Grandma used to tell you? It's not your business. Well dad the dark web is not your business". Never thought about it since. haha

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can buy the DVD for $12.99.
He is correct, I just bought on Amazon for $12.99, delivered to my home in Arizona. I enjoy the movie so much it’s easier to just own it.
When I get home on 9/10 after arriving on 7/11, hiking the CN from Santander, now hiking the Portugues, it’s the first movie I’ll watch.

If you are in the US, you can watch The Way for free on YouTube. I just now checked this to be sure. In the search box, type "The Way full movie". Good luck!

If you are in the US, you can watch The Way for free on YouTube. I just now checked this to be sure. In the search box, type "The Way full movie". Good luck!
I didn't find any in English.
Can you provide a link to what you found on YouTube?

The Way was a low budget independently produced film. Possibly they had only short term licenses for the music. That does seem a little weird to me but it does make more sense for the reason why it isn't streamed in the US. Estevez may not have been able to afford streaming rights.
I have some but by no means an expert on this subject. If the music is not in the public domain then they have to negotiate with the owner of the copyright of any music that is used. It would not make sense for a film to use music if there was a statute of limitation on how long the song could be used. That would limit any and all future revenues for the film. You may be correct but I worked for a music management company, my daughter worked for an entertainment lawyer and she was deeply involved in licensing and my cousin worked for a television production company and her job was to secure music rights for tv shows. I asked my daughter about this and she has never heard of limit and neither have I and my cousin never mentioned it.

I have some but by no means an expert on this subject. If the music is not in the public domain then they have to negotiate with the owner of the copyright of any music that is used. It would not make sense for a film to use music if there was a statute of limitation on how long the song could be used.
I was thinking of the problems that kept the civil rights documentary Eyes on the Prize out of view for so long (it became viewable again). Of course that film had more copyright problems due to news footage, photos, speeches, music, etc. The following article goes over this a bit (but written in 2005 it doesn't mention its rebirth). BTW, a court also in the interval deemed that Happy Birthday is now in the public domain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hmm... I walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and found the food to be delicious, much different than you described. Perhaps it's improved since you were there, or maybe you were on a another route?

I saw two results for the movie. One was in Spanish and the 2 and a half hour version was actually a different movie.
Sorry, that is so weird! You're right - the YouTube link shows a photo of Martin Sheen in "The Way", but when you click on it, it opens to a completely different movie! I watched "The Way" on YouTube in 2019, but apparently that's not possible now. That photo had me fooled.
As other people on this thread have posted, it seems to be available on Hulu, Netflix, and perhaps at your local library. I hope one of those works for you!

€60,-
I suppose the OP might just purchase the DVD on Amazon or eBay and borrow a means to watch DVD's. They're not completely disappeared. I have two laptops I don't use anymore with DVD players in them. Anytime I want to watch an old DVD I have or listen to an old CD I use one of them with some good external speakers hooked up.

No one seems to have noticed that @SparkyW in post 51 has suggested a legit online source that works in the US.
Legit may be questioned by some but the Internet Archive has been storing in the US copies of copyrighted material for public retrieval. They even copied some of mine with no permission asked (I like them anyway). They've done this for decades but they haven't been shut down so they must be doing something right.

€46,-
No one seems to have noticed that @SparkyW in post 51 has suggested a legit online source that works in the US.
You are right, that is the only link on this thread that I've found that works in the US, though as Rick says
Legit may be questioned by some but the Internet Archive has been storing in the US copies of copyrighted material for public retrieval. They even copied some of mine with no permission asked (I like them anyway). They've done this for decades but they haven't been shut down so they must be doing something right.
I listened to a podcast today about the cost of digitized books, and there was some discussion of the Internet Archive and whether what they do is legit or not.

The library in my parents hometown, in a town of 3,000 people, has a copy of the DVD! They wanted to see what I'd be doing so we borrowed and saw it a couple weeks ago. If they hadn't had the DVD, they are able to borrow from all the other libraries in the area, they have a delivery bus that goes between the area libraries if you put a hold on it.

Hmm... I walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and found the food to be delicious, much different than you described. Perhaps it's improved since you were there, or maybe you were on a another route?
i should have mentioned that it was 10 years ago.
I didn't find any in English.
Can you provide a link to what you found on YouTube?
It is only in Spanish on YouTube here in Mexico also. Does not have English subtitiles. I think the original English language version has been removed from YouTube here. I know I watched it on YouTube last year before I left for my camino.

I know how influential and important this film is to so many of us. In your search may I recommend this documentary. Believe me I am a big camino addict and have spent about a zillion hours watching videos on YouTube and Vimeo. This doc really captures the meaning of Camino. At least for me it does.
thanks! I will watch this also!

You can try this, it worked for me. On the google search bar type in:
jamacor, movie the way
Then scroll down to, The Way (2010).gloria.TV
I saved to my desktop and watch it whenever I want. It comes up in English
Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.