• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to survive the Camino de Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jilksy

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
Portugues 2013
du Puy 2014
du Puy 2015
del Norte 2016
Frances 2018
Portugues 2019
Dear Pilgrim Friends.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, so (moderator) feel free to move or redirect if this is the case.

I have recently written a preparation guide to the Camino. It is a complete beginners guide which is to be used to complement your Brierley guide (or book of choice).

I have walked many miles on the Camino and plan to walk many more. My love for it has grown and grown with every Camino and I've been spreading the joy amongst UK friends and family ever since I took that first step. In fact, if anyone starts me off talking about it, I can't stop. I thought I may as well write down all my advice and tips and see if it would be any use to anyone. I really wanted to write something that wasn't patronising and gave a real insight into a typical day of a pilgrim. It is not intended to be used in isolation, but I hope it may at least help settle the nerves of a new pilgrim. If you know anyone who is thinking of setting off on their first Camino, this might be the book for them. It is mainly geared towards the Camino Francés and staying in albergues but covers other routes too. The link is below.

Conquer the Camino - How to Survive the Camino de Santiago by Alison Jilks
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=alison+jilks&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&tag=&tag=casaivar-21

Currently only on Kindle.

Many thanks for reading this.

Alison.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @Jilksy

I enjoyed reading the free portion of your book and it seemed to offer sound information to the prospective pilgrim.

I'm curious to know the answer to the question "Will everyone be weird?" :)

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
@Dorpie Haha!

Well I'd be lying if I said there weren't a couple of 'characters' I'd met over the years ...But on the whole, everyone has always been lovely :) and I had no need to worry!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I followed the link. But when I saw the title of your it did not invite me to start reading it. To me the camino is nothing to be conquered. Perhaps I read to much into the word conquer, to me it has a negative connotation. It is like the way many alpinists detest the expression "to conquer a mountain"

Thanks for your feedback. Each to their own Antonius. It is obviously a very personal choice. For me, it was definitely a (physical) challenge to conquer, especially the first two or three times. I found it brutal....
I find the word conquer to be only positive in this sense.

Last edited:
For me, it was definitely a (physical) challenge to conquer
I immediately felt the same as Antonius about the context of the word Conquer in the title. But I totally understand and identify with your application of it to yourself instead of the Camino. Maybe a title of "Conquering Yourself...How to Survive the Camino de Santiago"? This is given in the spirit of feedback, not criticism. It's great that you put your wisdom & experience out there for other people to utilize.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I loved this book with all the practical info put in an easy to read book.
I am a bit over the blister brag, how good am I books’. It’s your story to tell so good on you, I throughly enjoyed it and wish you well with sales.

I loved this book with all the practical info put in an easy to read book.
I am a bit over the blister brag, how good am I books’. It’s your story to tell so good on you, I throughly enjoyed it and wish you well with sales.

Thanks @Unie

I followed the link. But when I saw the title of your it did not invite me to start reading it. To me the camino is nothing to be conquered.
I immediately felt the same as Antonius about the context of the word Conquer in the title.
To me it was the word "survive" that doesn't describe my Camino experience. I would use "flourish" instead, as I think of the Camino as something very life affirming that should be enjoyed, not survived. People survive wars, floods, and shipwrecks. But the Camino? Nah.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Despite our shared language maybe something is getting lost in translation. As a fellow Brit the use of Conquer and Survive just comes across as playful hyperbole to me.

Last edited:
The redundant accent over Frances (OK I'm a punctuation pedant) put me off but I'm sure you'll find a market out there.

@Dorpie

Thanks for sticking up for me.
It is indeed a bit of dry British humour which has obviously hit a brick wall. eg 'How to survive the end of the tax year' or 'how to survive a house move'...

To be honest I thought my book title was perfectly pleasant, didn't realise it would cause so much controversy!
I certainly think people are reading too much into it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for sticking up for me.
It is indeed a bit of dry British humour which has obviously hit a brick wall. eg 'How to survive the end of the tax year' or 'how to survive a house move'...
I think that tone of voice or emoji help convey that. 😉
It's not redundant at all. In Spanish it is the Camino Francés.
You are absolutely correct.

The reason the accent is not redundant is that multi-syllable words in Spanish take the stress on the second-last syllable unless otherwise indicated by an accent. In this case the accent alerts us to pronounce the word Fran-CES, rather than the FRAN-ces it would be without an accent.

Good luck with the book Alison!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The reason the accent is not redundant is that multi-syllable words in Spanish take the stress on the second-last syllable unless otherwise indicated by an accent.
Not quite. That rule applies to words that end in a vowel, N or S. The stress is on the final syllable of words that end in all the other consonants. If the pronunciation doesn't conform to these rules then an accent mark is placed. You may notice that many words lose the accent mark when they are pluralized, for example pensión ---> pensiones loses its accent because the stress remains on the second syllable sion, but with the addition of the es to make it plural it now follows the rule, and no accent mark is required.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello! I just tried to purchase it on Amazon but it was declined because “this book is not available in the US”. What???? Disappointed!

Tom

Dear Pilgrim Friends.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, so (moderator) feel free to move or redirect if this is the case.

I have recently written a preparation guide to the Camino. It is a complete beginners guide which is to be used to complement your Brierley guide (or book of choice).

I have walked many miles on the Camino and plan to walk many more. My love for it has grown and grown with every Camino and I've been spreading the joy amongst UK friends and family ever since I took that first step. In fact, if anyone starts me off talking about it, I can't stop. I thought I may as well write down all my advice and tips and see if it would be any use to anyone. I really wanted to write something that wasn't patronising and gave a real insight into a typical day of a pilgrim. It is not intended to be used in isolation, but I hope it may at least help settle the nerves of a new pilgrim. If you know anyone who is thinking of setting off on their first Camino, this might be the book for them. It is mainly geared towards the Camino Francés and staying in albergues but covers other routes too. The link is below.

Alison.
[/QUOTE]

If I'd written it, I would have titled it: "Submit to the Camino - How to be conquered by the Camino de Santiago" by Raggy. :-0 Jus' kiddin. Of course I'd have called it "How to get laid on the Camino," by Raggy, or maybe "How to get laid by Raggy on the Camino."

[Above remarks are in no way indicative of the author's opinion]

I do have some kilometers on Spanish Caminos under my belt also BUT "survive" and "conquer" Camino FRANCES??? You are obviously not joking but simply misleading first-timers with the title for the sake of selling!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Pilgrim Friends.

Alison.

I'm amazed by the people who wouldn'r read your book because of one or two words in the title--and presume to lecture you about it. I was trying to think what they might say if you chose another title:

"How to Enjoy Your Camino" We're not here to enjoy our Camino. (yeah, we noticed)

"How not to be Conquered by Your Camino" The Camino is kind and gentle and spiritual. It doesn't conquer anybody. (oooooookay)

"How to Mindfully Walk Your Camino" Like everyone else, you're just trying to capitalize on Wayne Dyer's hard work.

"How to finish your Camino stronger than you started" Its not a physical challenge or an athletic competition where there are winners and losers. Thats the traditional western way of viewing the world which we all reject.

"Walk On, Pilgrim". There are people on the Camino there that are riding their bikes and those not capable of walking. You have just excluded them.

I do have some kilometers on Spanish Caminos under my belt also BUT "survive" and "conquer" Camino FRANCES??? You are obviously not joking but simply misleading first-timers with the title for the sake of selling!!!

Seriously??? For a £5 book on the kindle store you think she's over hyping the difficulty of the camino to make her millions? If these words were to be taken at face value I'd imagine people would be more likely to give up on the camino altogether and as a result not buy the book.

Have you read the sample section and understood the tone of the book?

I hesitate to say much more but people seem to be quite unnecessarily rushing to judgement on this.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seriously??? For a £5 book on the kindle store you think she's over hyping the difficulty of the camino to make her millions? If these words were to be taken at face value I'd imagine people would be more likely to give up on the camino altogether and as a result not buy the book.

Have you read the sample section and understood the tone of the book?

I hesitate to say much more but people seem to be quite unnecessarily rushing to judgement on this.
Yep, I did.
And If you would read my very short reply once again you would see that I mention three key-words: survive, conquer, Frances. But they are incorporated in the title and that's important ;)

I just wrote that the title is misleading and that's it. Sorry for expressing my views. We can go on PVT about this because I'm sure the OP can "defend" herself but I still think it's PR move to put these exact words in the title.

And quite frankly I wish her to earn a million if what she put some time and effort in would help anyone!!! Anyone need my expertise? Very cheap, a beer or two, on sale this year :D

To me it was the word "survive" that doesn't describe my Camino experience. I would use "flourish" instead, as I think of the Camino as something very life affirming that should be enjoyed, not survived. People survive wars, floods, and shipwrecks. But the Camino? Nah.
Have to agree with this. The title probably attracts some people, and repels an equal number. Book cover titles and art work are definitely influential with respect to purchasing decisions. I thought it hyperbole, but I understand these types of titles will find an audience, and it will doubtless sell. I wonder what a misleading impact it may have on the attitude of prospective first-time pilgrims though.
Maybe I will write a volume describing my own camino experiences:
"Peccadilloes with Bocadillos: Sliding a Gong on the Chest of a Slave on the Camino Frances"

Have to agree with this. The title probably attracts some people, and repels an equal number. Book cover titles and art work are definitely influential with respect to purchasing decisions. I thought it hyperbole, but I understand these types of titles will find an audience, and it will doubtless sell. I wonder what a misleading impact it may have on the attitude of prospective first-time pilgrims though.
Maybe I will write a volume describing my own camino experiences:
"Peccadilloes with Bocadillos: Sliding a Gong on the Chest of a Slave on the Camino Frances"
I would read that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear fellow pilgrims,

The most important thing is I'm happy with what I have written and proud to have done so. Putting a book out there is scary and very exposing and it took me a long time to come to the decision to publish. I would have hoped that there would have been a bit more support from this pilgrim community. My main target audience (if you can call it that) was always the UK, where the Camino really is an unknown quantity to the majority and IS seen as a real physical and mental challenge, yes even the silly Camino Francés, especially the full 800km. In fact I don't know one other person that has done even part of it in my group of friends, family or colleagues. It definitely is seen as an endurance activity over anything else, hence the title*

On the whole we are not a particularly religious or spiritual bunch (that may come later 😉) and on top of that people cannot comprehend sleeping in shared accommodation or not having planned and booked every stage, let alone carrying their backpack all the way. It is also not common for British women to walk alone. On two long distance hikes in the UK, in the height of a busy summer, I have been the only lone British female yet I have met plenty of German, Dutch, Belgian, American and Australian women on their own. This is pretty much replicated on the Camino, albeit I have met one or two British peregrinas.*

So you may laugh, sneer and berate me but I am only writing a book that I would have liked to have read before I embarked on my first trip and I have written it as if it were aimed at my best mate. In fact, having sent the draft to two female friends over the last year, they have both planned Caminos for this summer, one even on the more quirky Chemin D'Arles. That can only be a good thing, right?

I do not expect massive global sales from this, I expect a handful. I'm not sitting here planning early retirement. I collected my thoughts over a couple years and wrote them down. I don't expect everyone to like it but I think judging it purely on the title is misguided.

Best wishes, Alison

*caveat before anyone jumps down my throat - I know some Brits are religious and/or spiritual and I know there are British women who walk alone, there's just not that many of us so statistically less likely to bump into each other. :)

I will not comment on the title of the book, just say that I have no problem with that. Based only on the free sample I would say, that it seems you handle potentially sensitive subjects in a sober and objective manner. I am thinking of subjects like having your pack transported, pre-booking accommodation, staying in private accommodation and using a tour-operator, all subjects that can occasionally raise some heated discussion.

I think that a book like that dealing with the “basics” of Caminoing could be of benefit to many potential peregrinos helping them to overcome initial anxieties and getting them out there to realize their dream. Good work! :)

Hello! I just tried to purchase it on Amazon but it was declined because “this book is not available in the US”. What???? Disappointed!

Tom

Dear Pilgrim Friends.

Alison.
[/QUOTE]
Here you go https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PNRKX7N/?tag=casaivar02-20

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear fellow pilgrims,

The most important thing is I'm happy with what I have written and proud to have done so. Putting a book out there is scary and very exposing and it took me a long time to come to the decision to publish. I would have hoped that there would have been a bit more support from this pilgrim community. My main target audience (if you can call it that) was always the UK, where the Camino really is an unknown quantity to the majority and IS seen as a real physical and mental challenge, yes even the silly Camino Francés, especially the full 800km. In fact I don't know one other person that has done even part of it in my group of friends, family or colleagues. It definitely is seen as an endurance activity over anything else, hence the title*

On the whole we are not a particularly religious or spiritual bunch (that may come later 😉) and on top of that people cannot comprehend sleeping in shared accommodation or not having planned and booked every stage, let alone carrying their backpack all the way. It is also not common for British women to walk alone. On two long distance hikes in the UK, in the height of a busy summer, I have been the only lone British female yet I have met plenty of German, Dutch, Belgian, American and Australian women on their own. This is pretty much replicated on the Camino, albeit I have met one or two British peregrinas.*

So you may laugh, sneer and berate me but I am only writing a book that I would have liked to have read before I embarked on my first trip and I have written it as if it were aimed at my best mate. In fact, having sent the draft to two female friends over the last year, they have both planned Caminos for this summer, one even on the more quirky Chemin D'Arles. That can only be a good thing, right?

I do not expect massive global sales from this, I expect a handful. I'm not sitting here planning early retirement. I collected my thoughts over a couple years and wrote them down. I don't expect everyone to like it but I think judging it purely on the title is misguided.

Best wishes, Alison

*caveat before anyone jumps down my throat - I know some Brits are religious and/or spiritual and I know there are British women who walk alone, there's just not that many of us so statistically less likely to bump into each other. :)
I like your approach - the title reflects who you are as a self-described non-walking atheist- I could totally relate to both of those characteristics and the title resonates with me. I rather think that the commentators above who don’t like it are not atheists- and therefore are not your audience

Putting a book out there is scary and very exposing and it took me a long time to come to the decision to publish. I would have hoped that there would have been a bit more support from this pilgrim community.
A book is ones baby as long as you're writing, lectoring, editing it and it's very precious to oneself, but as soon as it's published it's no longer yours.

Being a writer by profession and having published quite a few books by now, I've had to deal with that sort of experience too. First book was the most difficult. Eventually I've learned not to take that too personally anymore. There'll always be people who will love or hate your title, the way you write, tell you what's missing in your book or where you've been too longwinded or whatever.

As soon as your book can be bought this is like white on rice. But I do try to not dismiss justified criticism or think about forwarded suggestions, because those will hopefully improve my next book. Because: The best remedy for me to deal with this issue is to write a new book 🌞.

Last edited:
A book is ones baby as long as you're writing, lectoring, editing it and it's very precious to oneself, but as soon as it's published it's no longer yours.
Exactly. As film and TV director I can only concure. It may be hard but that's true :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear fellow pilgrims,

Best wishes, Alison

You say "It is also not common for British women to walk alone" and that made me think. On all my camino's I have met many women walking alone. I have met many British women walking but never met one walking alone, they were always in groups or couples. I wonder now why that is.

Anyway, good luck with the book!

Davey

You say "It is also not common for British women to walk alone" and that made me think. On all my camino's I have met many women walking alone. I have met many British women walking but never met one walking alone, they were always in groups or couples. I wonder now why that is.

Anyway, good luck with the book!

Davey
I’m a Scottish woman and I love walking alone but I agree that it’s rare for women in this country. I occasionally meet women on their own walking a dog but never further than a mile outside town and beyond that distance I never see any solo women walking. The girls at work used to be horrified when I said I’d walked in the woods on my own as they don’t think it’s safe. I’ve walked the West Highland Way twice on my own and had a great time and I’m planning SJPDP to Finisterre solo for next year. I just love the freedom of walking at my own pace and find it so therapeutic just walking in silence and enjoying the countryside.

Dear fellow pilgrims,

Best wishes, Alison

I did not judge your book, I only commented on the title. There are millions of books in the world that I could read. An important aspect that influences my interest in an early phase is the title and eventually a short description. Now I have read more about your book I still feel it is not for me.Before my caminos I did many other treks, so the camino was not a big challenge. I am an atheist myself so the religious aspect and reaching Santiago is also not very important. For people who are not that experienced your book might be just what they are looking for. An interesting point you make is that there are few English women walking alone on the camino and other treks. Last year I walked for two weeks with an English woman, now I wonder if she was an exception. Anyway I cannot remember other ones in my 4 caminos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m a Scottish woman and I love walking alone but I agree that it’s rare for women in this country. I occasionally meet women on their own walking a dog but never further than a mile outside town and beyond that distance I never see any solo women walking. The girls at work used to be horrified when I said I’d walked in the woods on my own as they don’t think it’s safe. I’ve walked the West Highland Way twice on my own and had a great time and I’m planning SJPDP to Finisterre solo for next year. I just love the freedom of walking at my own pace and find it so therapeutic just walking in silence and enjoying the countryside.
I completely agree. People have looked at me strangely or with concerned faces when I've told them I'm off on my own. It's like they felt sorry for me. Little do they know how lovely it is and how liberating (no matter how many times I tell them!).

You go girl!

[/QUOTE]

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
men sure do looooove to voice their disapproval when women produce content, don't they! :rolleyes: even when they don't intend on trying to read the work in question they for some reason feel the need to offer their criticism.

British woman walking alone, here! 🙋🏻‍♀️
It’s true that people I know are surprised that I want to do that. I never felt it was because of safety concerns but more of a received idea that one has to be seen to be sociable, and a fear to be seen as a loner. A bit like going to the cinema on one’s own, or dining alone at the restaurant. Most people I know would be too embarrassed to be seen doing that and I think they feel the same about walking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think a lot of first time pilgrims may approach the Camino as a physical challenge to be conquered or a potential ordeal to be survived. Not many are used to walking so far or sure that they are up to it. Often they complete it with a different attitude and may no longer find those verbs appropriate. But that is the post-Camino viewpoint. It seems to me that the title of the book just meets a significant portion of the pre-first camino market where they are. Sure, it may not seem right to those of us who have walked the Camino. But it wasn't written for us.

Ugg, ug, uggugg. Gruff!

As most men know.

men sure do looooove to voice their disapproval when women produce content, don't they! :rolleyes: even when they don't intend on trying to read the work in question they for some reason feel the need to offer their criticism.

Do I? I don't think so. I find your comment insulting.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You go girl! I love that spirit. I’ve been single now for 20 yrs after being married with children for 20 years. At first it was so painful and difficult for me to go to a movie or symphony or to a restaurant alone. It was actually a great learning experience for me. I went from being a son to a husband and really never cultivated self- reliance or self- confidence. These days I don’t even think about it—I enjoy taking myself to exactly the places I enjoy going. In less than a month, that will be The Camino!! So much better to do it alone. It’s revelatory that when friends and co-workers ask me what i did over the weekend that whatever i reply, such as “I did a fast 50 miles on my road bike” inevitably their response is, “Oh, are you in a cycling group?” and they don’t know what to say when I say, “No”. Very often they will respond with something like, “My brother is in a cycling group. I’ll ask him and maybe he can get you plugged into his group”.

I started reading a self-published book that a couple wrote after walking the camino. Geeze— so much drama, tears, emotion, silence, uncomfortable conversations. One member was gung-ho, the other was reluctant. I didn’t finish it. It’s a real thing where many women are deathly afraid of being alone or even afraid of being perceived as alone. I feel sorry for them, it’s a sort of prison that keeps them in bad marriages and missing out on being alone in the woods.

British woman walking alone, here! 🙋🏻‍♀️
It’s true that people I know are surprised that I want to do that. I never felt it was because of safety concerns but more of a received idea that one has to be seen to be sociable, and a fear to be seen as a loner. A bit like going to the cinema on one’s own, or dining alone at the restaurant. Most people I know would be too embarrassed to be seen doing that and I think they feel the same about walking.
[/QUOTE]

A Moderator intervenes. Members will be minded of Rule 1 of this forum.

1) Please do not be rude or write anything that can be considered a personal attack. We can have opinions that differ on topics, but we should not get rude or personal. What is rude? or what is a personal attack and what is not? The "receiver" of a comment might think it is rude/a personal attack, while the author might disagree. The final judgement is made by the moderators (we will do the best we can).

There has been some "friendly banter" in this thread and some stuff that would incline me to award a few points if I received a Report.

And the OP is reminded of Rule 3:

3) No commercial posts in the forum. As the Camino becomes more and more popular, there are more products and services related to the Camino. If you have one, please feel free to post it in our Camino Resources section. Post each product only one time, this will generate an automatic post in the Camino Resources forum making this the only forum for commercial posts. The one exception is that Camino Books posted in the Resource section will have their automatic posts appear in the Camino Book section.

Conclusion: All commercial posts (including books) should be posted in the resource section. If it is a "Camino Resource Book", it will automatically (you do not have to do anything) show up in the Camino Book forum.

If we had caught this thread in time it would have been deleted and the OP would have been invited to post in the Resources Section.

I don't normally offer my reasons for a moderation decision in the public forum but on this occasion I think it is appropriate.

I am closing the Thread for further comment.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back