• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to take care of your feet !!!

Alf

I have read hundreds of questions and comments regarding very important subjects in this Forum and I am surprised to see that there is no concerns of " how to take care of your feet " during the Camino. In my experience, I have done the Camino four times, the special knowledge of how to take care of our feet is one of the most important subjects of the Camino....and foot problem is one of the most frequent problem preventing a pilgrim to reach Santiago.
It would be interesting to have the advices from the veterans in preventing foot blisters and any other preventable problem
that may interrupt the 800 plus Kms to Santiago!
Does anyone would like to comment on this?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My advise is: proper fitting boots well broken in, double sock, liner and outer sock, and use a product like "gloves in a bottle" on your feet each morning before you walk. Take your boots off at each rest stop to let them cool/breathe if its not raining and make sure you don't pick up any gravel pebbles when you do so and don't walk too far each day, your feet will let you know.

wayfarer got it right I would add one thing, take your boots completely off at lunch time and change your socks, a fresh pair of socks always make me feel like a new man, you are going to do laundry in the evening anyway and another pair of socks is not a burden. One last thought, loosen your laces - your feet will probably swell as you walk and will enjoy the added circulation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think consider:

Even with new ( & expensive) boots replacing the insole with a better supporting one before training / starting

Taping toes before walking

Cut nails

Calf stretch before starting and during day

Prophylactic use of compeed/tape on hot spots

Loosen laces ( this worked but I was never sure if I had under anticipated how much my feet would swell -boots were +1 size bigger, not enough?)

My non walking footware. ( Alberque to town lightweights ) were very light with little support - I wonder if I should have had a better. & heavier second shoe

I found elevating my feet in the evening was pure joy

Make full use of any foot baths with ice cold mountain water, (CF)

My way of looking after my feet is; regardless of how far I have walked, how I feel, what the weather is like or where I am, every two hours or so my boots and socks come off for 15 minutes for an airing session, I say hello to my toes, let them have a wiggle and a look at where we are, thank them, and if necessary change my socks if they are too wet.

Always works for me.:D

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Footwear that suits your foot. In my case lightweight mesh upper runners work best, but if boots or sandals float your boat then don't be persuaded out of them. Just be really sure before you leave home that your feet can happily walk in that footwear for days and days. I think just as our bodies benefit from some preparation, feet also need to get into shape before the Camino. I "train" my feet by doing a lot of walking in my Camino shoes for a couple of months before.

Good socks. Again, we all have personal preferences. My current favourite is two pairs of thin, tightly woven, pure wool socks. On the trail I take off one pair of socks and change them every two or three hours in summer, a bit less in winter (unless they get wet).

Other than the above, I don't do anything special to maintain my feet. I'd estimate that about half of my Caminos have been completely blister free - but I do get the odd blister in very hot weather. One of the reasons I like lightweight mesh runners is to keep air circulating around my feet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Foot damage can occur from different situations...
Hot days, wet days, long uphills, long downhills, an extra long day, newbe feet.
My advise: break in your shoes and your feet first.
Like Kanga said: “for a couple of months before”
This includes a couple long walks (20+K), and some uphills and downhills.

Boots.
Tight around heel, but be able to wiggle toes. Don't go cheap on the Boots.
A loose heel give blisters, tight toes give blisters, steep downhills can bruise toes.
Get a real hiking sandals like Teva Toachi 2.
I wore mine, 40% of the Camino. They are cooler (air cool, not fashion cool).
For the days that you do have a blister or a bruise... Sandals are much less painful.
I would walked the first hour or two in boots, and then switch to the sandals.
I stored the other pair of shoes on the outside of my pack with (Carabiner) Snap Clips

Morning ritual..
Grease bottom of feet and toes with Gehwol Foot Care Foot Cream Extra.
Put on my Smartwool PhD Outdoor Light Crew socks (no inside liner sock).
Put on Boot, tap my heel to set my heel at the back, lace boot: looser at toes, tighter at ankle.

For hot spots.
Heel... Leukotape P Sports Tape, it stays put, it has a rough surface to help keep the heel from moving in the boot.
Toes... smooth plastic BandAids and a touch of Gehwol creme (for lubrication). Toes need to flex as you walk.

My damages amounted to one bruised toe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wore brand-new never-worn hiking shoes, had done no training (but I do run), and, miraculously, went 800 km without any foot problems. I attribute this mainly to having followed forum advice to smear a very thin coat of Vaseline on my feet and between toes every morning to prevent friction. I wore thin synthetic liner socks under medium-weight Smartwool hiking socks and was very vigilant as I walked: no pebble or sock wrinkle ever went unattended, I adjusted laces as needed and kept toenails trimmed very short. I did get shin splints*, but never a blister! *(Ibuprofen is another essential.)

I soak my feet in a strong tea solution during the last couple of weeks before leaving for the Camino. This hardens the skin. ( a ballerina tip). Anne

And shoes? I know the topic has been done to death here, but much of the advice is general, and I'm after some time specific advice/thoughts.
I'm starting my first camino at SJPP on Sept 2 and I'm struggling as to which pair of shoes to bring. I'll be walking the meseta in Sept when it is likely to still be warm, and the Galician mountains in early Oct. I have 2 pairs which are lovely to wear - a pair of Merrell Moab goretex shoes which are waterproof but give me prickly heat the minute the temperature goes above 20, and a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators, which keep my feet cooler but are only showerproof. I will be bringing a pair of Teva sandals for shower/evening etc.
Any thoughts please?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And shoes? I know the topic has been done to death here, but much of the advice is general, and I'm after some time specific advice/thoughts.
I'm starting my first camino at SJPP on Sept 2 and I'm struggling as to which pair of shoes to bring. I'll be walking the meseta in Sept when it is likely to still be warm, and the Galician mountains in early Oct. I have 2 pairs which are lovely to wear - a pair of Merrell Moab goretex shoes which are waterproof but give me prickly heat the minute the temperature goes above 20, and a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators, which keep my feet cooler but are only showerproof. I will be bringing a pair of Teva sandals for shower/evening etc.
Any thoughts please?

Some will tell you to go for the lightest option, others will say the opposite.
September on average is still warm but current meteorological conditions in Europe are quite dynamic and all indicators point in different directions for the coming months.
So I will be bringing my Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots and my pair of running shoes, the latter whom hardly weigh a thing.
Your mileage may vary of course.

Take it easy initially, 15-20k, learn how to tighten but not over tighten laces, apply Vicks vaporub generously every morning, don't take boots on and off unless you feel a hot spot, if you do tend to it immediately and crack on...
Obviously light hiking socks and liner socks, correct fitting and worn it footwear.

Any thoughts please?

If it were me I'd not hesitate - definitely the Ventilators. If they get wet they will dry quickly and wet feet occasionally is no big deal. The rain pours straight through my runners and as long as I have dry socks tucked in my pack, it's not a problem. Hot feet are almost inevitable with "waterproof" shoes, and that is a pain. Blisters. Heat rash.

Here is an article that might help you decide http://andrewskurka.com/2012/minimizing-the-effects-and-aftermath-of-wet-feet/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm bringing a pair of scarpa hiking shoes that I've worn for a few years and a pair of teva sandals. I'm seriously thinking of bringing super lite Nike running shoes too! They're great to walk in and well ventilated. I'm walking in late September and October!

I Wear Smartwool sox for hiking and work and never got blisters. But--I always get blisters when walking barefoot on beach sand in Mexico if I do more than 12 kilometers. My friends who are ex Army Rangers never wear any Sox at all when hiking as that's how they were taught to walk for long distances. On the Camino, the magic blister days for people who started with us seemed to be Day 4 and Day 12--don't know why. Found out when friends had problems that if you get severe foot problems on a Friday, you can't see a doctor until Monday as that is not an emergency--was told that is just how it is in Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
apply Vicks vaporub generously every morning??? Guess it works the same as Petroleum jelly, but never heard of using it on feet. Two guys I once lived with used to coat their magic pills with Vapo-rub as they claimed it was a catalyst that greatly strengthened certain pill ingredients.---But they only ate it.

.......Nicely trimmed toenails helps too.
There are one or two minor issues with my feet that flare up from time to time. Just before I left on my Camino I visited my podiatrist in an effort to forestall any such issues. I told him I was going on this long trek, that I didn't want any problems with my feet, and could he please "fix me up." He did what he needed to do with my feet and ended by clipping all my toenails, something he is not in the habit of doing. When I commented on it, he replied that he was doing so because he didn't want any bad vibes coming to him from the Camino. Good thinking, I thought. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From observation of other experienced walkers and myself, the type of footware, be it boots, shoes or sandals,and the make, is not so important as fit and comfort, with room to wriggle your toes but not for the heel to move up and down, and importantly not for the foot to slide forward inside the boot. Occasionally it may be necessary to use inserts to achieve this.
I have never had a blister, thank goodness, despite many thousand of kms of walking in Spain and Asia, especially Nepal. I think the objective, which all the methods posted above achieve, is to avoid friction on the skin, and this can be by using Vaseline or similar, or two pairs of socks (they rub against each other rather than against the skin). Personally I use two pairs of socks - the thinner inner liner expels moisture away from the foot, and a thicker wool outer sock. I don't bother about taking my boots off during breaks, but that is just what works for me.
You may notice on my profile photo a pair of sheepskin slippovers on the shoulder straps of my backpack. I use these as I have various steel pins and bolts in one shoulder and they cushion the straps. They can be purchased in Australia in almost any car accessary shop and are normally used as slippovers on the shoulder strap of safety harnesses in cars etc.
David

Our method:- triple socks; very light liner (next to skin), some folk use womens pop socks but we prefer wicking synthetic socks (changed daily); light weight mohair socks in the middle layer; cushion sole mohair socks as the final layer (don't need washing). Combined with lightweight waterproof leather, breathable ankle boots this has worked well for us. Feet powdered evening or morning according to preference and shower in the afternoon not the morning so feet are not softened by the water.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have read hundreds of questions and comments regarding very important subjects in this Forum and I am surprised to see that there is no concerns of " how to take care of your feet " during the Camino. In my experience, I have done the Camino four times, the special knowledge of how to take care of our feet is one of the most important subjects of the Camino....and foot problem is one of the most frequent problem preventing a pilgrim to reach Santiago.
It would be interesting to have the advices from the veterans in preventing foot blisters and any other preventable problem
Alf - Count the number of posts on this thread and you'll almost have the number of different ways people take care of their feet!!

Shoes at least one full size bigger than your normal and rub in foot oil each evening and in the morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, this is my first time posting.

On feet: I had planned on bringing two pairs of shoes - one hiking and one I used for trail running plus sandals for off-time....I regret that I left the second pair of shoes, my trail runners. :(

I'm on the French Way now and debating if I should give my feet a break due to the blisters. I used Vaseline on my feet to reduce friction, took care of hotspots with moleskin and blister pads as needed.

With exception of the first leg at St. Jean been traveling about 20-25 km a day. Yet still I've been getting blisters so it definitely must be the shoes.

I am having the other pair, well broken in, to be shipped to me. Just curious if any of you fellow pilgrims have ever decided to give your feet a break due to blisters?

Much gratitude!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Santipink. I along with many others think that more than two sets of footwear is too much weight. If the blisters are hurting consider a rest day or a couple of really short days to give them a break. If really bad what about using the bus a little (yes I know this can be contentious people). What about sending your bag on to ease the load on the feet? Where are you now?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think consider:

Even with new ( & expensive) boots replacing the insole with a better supporting one before training / starting

Taping toes before walking

Cut nails

Calf stretch before starting and during day

Prophylactic use of compeed/tape on hot spots

Loosen laces ( this worked but I was never sure if I had under anticipated how much my feet would swell -boots were +1 size bigger, not enough?)

My non walking footware. ( Alberque to town lightweights ) were very light with little support - I wonder if I should have had a better. & heavier second shoe

I found elevating my feet in the evening was pure joy

Make full use of any foot baths with ice cold mountain water, (CF)

I have just completed the Camino and had absolutely NO foot problems until four days from the finish when the inside of my boots broke. I ended up with some fairly serious issues. Kevin's advice of stretching is VERY important. I heard veteran Camino walkers scoffing at newcomers along the way stretching with their tour guide leaders. Post Camino I sure wish I'd stretched every day. Comfortable post-walking shoes are essential and putting feet in cool water at every opportunity is important.

Wear sock liners in addition to wool hiking socks. Make sure your boots are tight. Re-tie them throughout the day and whenever you feel them getting loose. Remember, sore feet are better than blistered feet.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back