• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to tell if your backpack is too light

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
I loved tamtamplin's take on how to tell when one's backpack is too heavy, but think it deserves a companion set of tests to tell if your bag is too light! Having met several pilgrims last year who were travelling very light, my tests are:

• You should suspect your pack is too light is you have to ask another pilgrim for adhesive dressings, moleskin or aspirin.
    - You know your backpack is too light if you have to ask for toothpaste.

You should suspect your pack is too light when you ask pilgrims with sleeping bags for their blankets in the albergue.
    - You know your backpack is too light when you take the blankets without waiting for a response.

What are your tests?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When you have to ask, can I borrow some underwear and the only pilgrim around is of the opposite sex? :shock:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
this is how it works
on day one of your camino
you go straight to the first bar and watch the 3 day weather forecast
it says - sunny, sunny, cold /wet
you go to the post office
you mail 3 boxes of clothing as follows
town 2 - "To The Hospitalero, El Next Municipal Albergue", one shirt shorts sox + plus one sarong
town 3 - "To The Hospitalero, El Following Municipal Albergue", one shirt shorts sox
town 4 - "To The Hospitalero, El One After Next Municipal Albergue", one Altus poncho fleecy shirt shorts sox
on arrival at the first town, proceed directly to the post office
collect your box containing change of clothing and the sarong
using your sarong to cover your modesty in the crouded post office, strip out of your smelly clothing, place them back into the box
and mail them to
"Town 5 - El Laundromat proprietor" enclosing 5Euro with instructions to wash and deliver to the Hospitalero at El Municipal Albergue
this way, you can then follow DougFitz' borrow toothpaste and blanket sequence
i think this can work

"Town 5 - El Laundromat proprietor"

and when you arrive you discover that the Laundromat closed last week and is now a Starbucks and they kindly sent the parcel back to the place of posting.

(Anything that closes in England re-opens as either a Starbucks or an Indian take away).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are there Starbucks on the Camino? I did not encounter one. I know there is not one in Santiago.

Ultreya,
Joe

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
(Anything that closes in England re-opens as either a Starbucks or an Indian take away).

Or a charity shop, and that would be disastrous.

jpflavin1 said:
Are there Starbucks on the Camino? I did not encounter one. I know there is not one in Santiago.

Ultreya,
Joe

oh dear Lord , to my knowledge there is only Starbucks in Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla and please let us keep it that way. Vile, mediocre coffee.
Long live the good old fashioned cortado in any local bar in Spain!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lightest of all is simply shopping for what you need in the "lost and found" box at the albergue, and leaving your dirties behind as you go. You will be decked out in some spectacular duds, but never for very long. Every day (and night) will be a sartorial adventure, especially if you hit it lucky and get the patent-leather gogo boots in the box at Ponferrada, or the lime-green chiffon cocktail dress that haunted Los Arcos for a couple of years. Shampoo, toothpaste, soap, bandages, aspirins, Chanel No. 5? Just ask the hospitalero -- there are usually TONS of all of these left behind, only half-used.
Why burden yourself, when so many pilgrims are leaving so much great stuff behind?

Arn said:
You're suppose to carry a backpack?
:shock:

Of course not. Some wonderful replies on this theme, but one could also walk as a mendicant pilgrim, with little more than the clothes on one's back, a staff and a water bottle.

Met a few last year, but thought only one was genuine. There was a couple who appeared to be little more than ponces - although I did not personally experience the worst of their reported behaviour, and so must admit I might be basing this assessment on little more than rumour.

There were also those towards the end who would send their bag by taxi, and just walk with a day pack. I must admit thinking about this, but by that time I had walked with my too heavy pack from St Jean, and I was determined not to give in so close to Santiago.

Regards,

or the lime-green chiffon cocktail dress that haunted Los Arcos for a couple of years.

Damn. How did I miss that? :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There were also those towards the end who would send their bag by taxi, and just walk with a day pack.

Towards the end?? In June I started sending stuff ahead right from the start and plan on doing so again in two weeks time.
If you have beds booked ahead (private albergues, B&Bs, small pensions etc) you can send a bag ahead every day. I carried my pack with about 3kg in it because it is more comfortable than a daypack - which usually has thin, unpadded shoulder straps and no waist belt - and sent my extra stuff ahead in the daypack.
Having never done this before I am delighted to say that it was wonderful on both counts. No rush for beds and no aching shoulders. And, having walked to Santiago 5 times with no prebooked accommodation or backpack transfer, I don't know why I didn't do it earlier!

Through complex circumstances, my pack went ahead of me one day, and I have to admit that walking became an entirely different experience. It is amazing what twenty pounds of pack adds to the physical stress of walking. I would further admit that I walked faster and further, and was just as sweaty and exhausted as with a pack, so I am not sure I gained much from the experience except the short rapture!

Met a few last year, but thought only one was genuine. There was a couple who appeared to be little more than ponces - although I did not personally experience the worst of their reported behaviour, and so must admit I might be basing this assessment on little more than rumour.

What is a ponce?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
lynnejohn said:

What is a ponce?

There are some delightful definitions at Urban Dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ponce. I was using it in the sense of someone who might borrow money without repaying it, or in the sense of the Camino, pretend to be a mendicant pilgrim and beg at various albergues, but never be seen walking between towns, just as an example.

How to tell if your backpack is too light:-
Buy a child's hydrogen filled balloon and tie it to your rucksack, holding it down firmly while doing so. If the pack floats off when released it is too light.
Warning :- do not try this outside or you may not see your pack again!

There are some delightful definitions at Urban Dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ponce. I was using it in the sense of someone who might borrow money without repaying it, or in the sense of the Camino, pretend to be a mendicant pilgrim and beg at various albergues, but never be seen walking between towns, just as an example.

Thanks. Incredibly diverse definitions at that site!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
tamtamplin said:
this is how it works
on day one of your camino
you go straight to the first bar and watch the 3 day weather forecast
it says - sunny, sunny, cold /wet
you go to the post office
you mail 3 boxes of clothing as follows
town 2 - "To The Hospitalero, El Next Municipal Albergue", one shirt shorts sox + plus one sarong
town 3 - "To The Hospitalero, El Following Municipal Albergue", one shirt shorts sox
town 4 - "To The Hospitalero, El One After Next Municipal Albergue", one Altus poncho fleecy shirt shorts sox
on arrival at the first town, proceed directly to the post office
collect your box containing change of clothing and the sarong
using your sarong to cover your modesty in the crouded post office, strip out of your smelly clothing, place them back into the box
and mail them to
"Town 5 - El Laundromat proprietor" enclosing 5Euro with instructions to wash and deliver to the Hospitalero at El Municipal Albergue
this way, you can then follow DougFitz' borrow toothpaste and blanket sequence
i think this can work

I had to chuckle at this. Thank you once again Tamtamplin for providing us with your amusing comments. Maybe we take ourselves too seriously at times?

Bridget and Peter.

Or a charity shop, and that would be disastrous.

As I am suffering from Camino withdrawl symptoms I have only just worked this one out. :?

Doh!

your backpack is too light if
Ryanair offer you a refund
the backpack taxi's don't charge you
you can wear your backpack as a bum/bag-fanny-pack
you have to fill it with chicken fillets to impress the women/men
or you leave it behind in a bar and walk 10k down the road before you realize
nobody steals it
or you place your backpack on the floor in the albergue and the bedbugs carry it away :D
Ian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ian said:
or you place your backpack on the floor in the albergue and the bedbugs carry it away

Is there a pilgrim servicing company that employs bedbugs to carry packs. I thought the bounders were just in my bed to hassle me. Zounds: they were just looking for business!

Sign me up, please!

Arn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your backpack is too light if after two weeks people won't stand closer than 10 feet to you as you haven't washed (no towel or soap), nor changed your underwear in that time. :wink:

Br David, that definition applies to any teenage son who has not yet discovered girls....

With three girls and (thankfully) ;-) no boys, I can only say ICK!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.