• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to train for downhill walking

Briddie_DK

Time of past OR future Camino
West highland Way, Scotland, Aug 2016 and Aug 2017.
Camino Frances start SJPDP on Apr 9th 18
Hi,

I took my first shot at CF in april. I started in SJPDP, and had 6 days for walking.
After the first two days, my knees were killing me. To avoid this on my next Camino-experience I will bring hiking poles, and hopefully shred some kilos from my bodyweight.

I would also like to do some extra training focusing on the downhill. However, I live in Denmark, and there is no hills in my vicinity.
At the gym, there is loads of possibilities to train the uphill part, But how do I train for the downhill part?

Thanks in advance for your advice :0)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Same country as yourself, I know the problem.
When going down from Zubiri, on the loong stretches, walking on the rolling bake-potato sized stones, I saw a French lady bouncing at at steady pace by me, and downwards, downwards she went, having no problem.

Hey, Lady, How d´ye do that?

Following right behind her was a Britsh lady: - don´t bother she said, she doesn´t understand English...

She told me that due to a back injury this lady was treated by a Chines doctor who had instructed her to adapt a bouncy gait, having a straight back, and lowering at the knees...
lowering your bum seems to be important..

I´ll tell you straight; - it looks silly, and feels even worse:

your quadroceps femoris´ will be killing you at first, but you will no longer be stopping at every step and agonizing your knees....
Takes some time to adjust, but hey , you have all day, and it is killing you anyway..

cannot find a word for the technique anywhere.....

Advice you to train going dowhill in Rundetårn, in Købmagergade. I dare you, full pack !!

ps, I use poles all the time by the way...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last edited:
Hi,

I took my first shot at CF in april. I started in SJPDP, and had 6 days for walking.
After the first two days, my knees were killing me. To avoid this on my next Camino-experience I will bring hiking poles, and hopefully shred some kilos from my bodyweight.

I would also like to do some extra training focusing on the downhill. However, I live in Denmark, and there is no hills in my vicinity.
At the gym, there is loads of possibilities to train the uphill part, But how do I train for the downhill part?

First of all : You will get lots of answers to this one, some of them will be contradictory. Choose wisely.
Anyway I l live in a flat area too with no possibilities for training downhill over long distances. As a consequence I suffered a lot on my first Camino due to inadequate preparations. I had trained a lot but not enough for downhill. This year was different. I had no problems at all. The reason was training. At least I believe that to be the answer. I did some specific leg exercises in combination with walking and running. The exercises are so called "single leg exercises"and they are very close to or similar to these:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-the-4-single-leg-exercises-you-need
You don't have to go to a fitness centre to do it. You can do it at home with some home made weights in your hand, I.e Jerry cans with water. For me they worked and they also strengthened my core which is a side bonus. Do it at least three times a week and begin at least half a year before your next Camino in order for your legs and joints to benefit from them. No leg and back pains anymore.
Good luck and buon Camino.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m not sure I see a benefit to bouncing
But on extended down hill steep slopes (transferred from alpine hiking) I zigzag and alternate zag every 3 or so so different thigh muscles are engaged
And crouch a bit
This transfers the load into the quads and off the knee itself
It does require some strength in those muscles to do safely
( think of all the knee ligament tears in skiers at the end of their runs when their muscles are too fatigued to protect the knee)
And of course poles

Same country as yourself, I know the problem.
When going down from Zubiri, on the loong stretches, walking on the rolling bake-potato sized stones, I saw a French lady bouncing at at steady pace by me, and downwards, downwards she went, having no problem.

When I walked down this "deep downward trail" and met a local running his dog. He suggested and demonstrated walking backwardly.

However, I relied on my two walking poles and walked slowly. It was fine for me.

I find the walking poles are very helpful if one way or the other even though a pilgrim is a strong hiker/walker.

There were sections of downhill walking that I did walking backwards. You need to be mindful of each step and keep looking over your shoulder, but it is possible to do and do it safely. I used my poles as well. Lots easier on the knees and toes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
First of all : You will get lots of answers to this one, some of them will be contradictory. Choose wisely.
Anyway I l live in a flat area too with no possibilities for training downhill over long distances. As a consequence I suffered a lot on my first Camino due to inadequate preparations. I had trained a lot but not enough for downhill. This year was different. I had no problems at all. The reason was training. At least I believe that to be the answer. I did some specific leg exercises in combination with walking and running. The exercises are so called "single leg exercises"and they are very close to or similar to these:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-the-4-single-leg-exercises-you-need
You don't have to go to a fitness centre to do it. You can do it at home with some home made weights in your hand, I.e Jerry cans with water. For me they worked and they also strengthened my core which is a side bonus. Do it at least three times a week and begin at least half a year before your next Camino in order for your legs and joints to benefit from them. No leg and back pains anymore.
Good luck and buon Camino.

Having just completed my Camino, I also struggled with downhill sections. Having reviewed the link above, I feel these would have helped me tremendouslyu.

Zigzagging, hiking poles...I try them, and more or less awkardly manage downhills.
But in stages as before Zubiri or Molinaseca, I end up almost unavoidably with a blister in the tip of my second toe, or worse, a blood clot under the toenail. A fellow recomended tying my shoelaces very tight...I have thought about using a second pair of socks, to avoid the friction. Don't know if there is a knowledgable experience around there.

Walk at a
Hi,

Walk backward at a slow speed on a treadmill.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Zigzagging, hiking poles...I try them, and more or less awkardly manage downhills.
But in stages as before Zubiri or Molinaseca, I end up almost unavoidably with a blister in the tip of my second toe, or worse, a blood clot under the toenail. A fellow recomended tying my shoelaces very tight...I have thought about using a second pair of socks, to avoid the friction. Don't know if there is a knowledgable experience around there.
There was! @davebugg ! And he isn’t coming back, apparently :(

If you bring hiking sandals you can save your toenails by wearing them on the downhills.

You can strengthen the muscles in your thighs by doing squats. Ideally, though, you should take some aikido classes: that will really firm up your thighs for the downhills.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can strengthen the muscles in your thighs by doing squats. Ideally, though, you should take some aikido classes: that will really firm up your thighs for the downhills.
Squatting is a very good exercise for developing strength in legs, joints and your back. But single leg exercises are better training for walking than a double-leg exercise like squatting. The reason is that single leg-training exercises are closer to how your legs work during walking, especially downhill, which is a "single-leg dominant" movement. On each step all your weight is landing on one leg. Not on two legs like in squatting or jumping.

Hi,

Hi - I've just completed the Camino Primitivo - had a real problem with my right knee after the Hospitales route (2 heavy downhills) - I ended up in the next few days till Melide (where I ended this time) coming down sideways ie like a crab on most of the downs. I didn't care how I looked, I just needed to relieve the pain. I always use poles and had a knee support and now home after 2 days I have no pain at all. By the way I am 65!

"Bend zee knees, five dollars please". The old downhill ski instructor joke. My wife used it to save her Camino. She went to bent knees and solved her pains. Took a while to get comfortable doing it, but by second day she was back to enjoying the trip! I personally traverse, but it didn't work for her. Bent knees solved it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi , what can help is try to zig zag when it is steep.
I'am from Holland it's probably as flat as Denmark and it works for me.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .
I climb volcanoes and high mountains and have knee problems. I always zig zap AND use poles. I also wear knee braces. Works for me. At the end of the day, if you have pain, ICE.

Walking the Annapurna Circuit years ago I spent time watching the porters walk who were carrying up to 80kg ! Porters always 'bounce' as they walk ...in other words they engage their thighs and have a very regular bouncy walk. It seems counter intuitive to bounce up and down using your thighs but they act as a shock absorber taking the pressure off the knees. Takes a while to get used to but it does work. Buen camino

Hips! Hips! Hips! Whether one is training to walk, or run, or do a marathon, or an ultra...the answer is HIPS! Most injuries of knees, or any other lower body part, result from either hip weakness, or hip strength discrepancy. PERIOD!
Find a hip strengthening series, and do it EVERY day. Whether you are walking or running (and believe me, they are two completely different things!) the BEST thing you can do for yourself is strengthening your hips. It takes pressure off your thighs. It takes pressure off your knees. It works the big muscles. Train those.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As the old ski lesson goes " bend zee knees, 5 dollars please" It saved my wife's Camino! For downhills, just bend your knees a little and walk like a skier.
Try it, you'll be amazed.
Bob

How do you train for downhills when you have no hills?

Step downs.

Find a stair or sturdy stool, stand on it with both feet, lower one foot to the ground and just brush the ground with your heel. Keep your toes flexed upwards. You don’t want to actually land on the lower foot and transfer your weight to it. You want to keep working the upper leg. Return your foot to the stool and repeat for a set of 10-12. Then switch to the other leg.

You might need to hold on to something for balance, but as you improve, try to reduce relying on that so your balance also improves.

As you gain strength, continue to challenge yourself by increasing the repetitions, number of sets, and the height of the stair or stool. You could also wear a weight vest or hold dumbbells to increase the intensity.

These will really help.

I’m not sure I see a benefit to bouncing
It not so much bouncing as it is to keeping low, bending your knees and letting the quadroceps taking the load. Landing on the front of the foot also takes a bit getting used to...
It looks like you are bobbing along effortlessly seen from afar...

Use poles

Make sure your footwear has decent grip.

Adjust your rucksack (I loosen the shoulder straps to shift the centre of gravity to the rear)

Avoid flat-footedly slapping your foot on the ground when you step forwards; roll your weight through from heel to toe.

I'd also suggest exercises to strengthen your legs. I like simple air squats (just do many if they're easy - I do 3 sets of 35-50 and that gets the lactic acid flowing) because you can do them however you like (wide, narrow, deep, shallow, etc) and they can be done virtually anywhere.

I do see the logic in what some of the posts above have said in terms of single-leg movements being more walking-specific, though. With that in mind, I'd also work in some walking lunges - basically squatting down and then back up as you're walking, with each leg individually. I made that sound quite complicated but if you're unfamiliar with the exercise, I'd suggest looking up some sort of visual aid (like a video).

Trekking poles will also help take some of the load off your knees/legs as others have said.

I'm not a fan of zig-zagging, personally - you're increasing the distance you're walking and the time you're putting your muscles, joints and tendons under strain. Plus, the angles can be awkward on your ankles if it's steep enough.

As the old ski lesson goes " bend zee knees, 5 dollars please" It saved my wife's Camino! For downhills, just bend your knees a little and walk like a skier.
Try it, you'll be amazed.
Bob
Yes! Never let your knees straighten going downhill. Knees a little bent, butt a little back.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.