• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to travel from Barcelona to St. Jean Pied de Port

WalterCWang

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2017
Hi, We are flying to Barcelona in the of May and need to know how to travel from Barcelona airport to St. Jean Pied de Port. It's better to take train? or Bus? Or fly to the city of ?? Thanks,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mix and match to suit your requirements:

1. SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF TER train 4 x daily all year.

2. SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus. At end May 2017 there will be 2 buses daily; leaving 1430 and 1730.

3. The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarriz BIQ.

4. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian EAS. The airport is located 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye. There are flights from Barcelona to San Sebastian. This, in concert with 5. is the fastest route.

5. SNCF operates trains from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Bayonne.

6. There is an airport in Pamplona PNA with flights connecting to Madrid.

7. Renfe operates trains from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona. If you can get to Pamplona in time to catch the last bus to SJPdP, this is the most efficient way to go. Else take the train to Irun/Hendaye and catch the SNCF train from Hendaye in the AM.

8. ViBaSA (Monbus) operates buses from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona. This is the cheapest way to go.

9. ALSA operates buses from Barcelona Estacio Nord. Buses go from Barcelona to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Pamplona.

10. Renfe and SNCF operate a very fast train from Barcelona Sants to Toulouse.

11. SNCF operates trains from Toulouse to Bayonne.

12. Renfe Cercanias/Rodalies operates a commuter train from Barcelona Airport to Barcelona Sants.

Not sure of your budget? Last August my wife & I flew on Vueling from BCN to San Sebastian and ended up, with another person at the airport, taking a cab to St Jean.
Yeah, it came to 39 euro each = 127, but we got there in an hour on a VERY hot day, and enjoyed some local hikng and touring the town. No regrets ...

Not sure of your budget? Last August my wife & I flew on Vueling from BCN to San Sebastian and ended up, with another person at the airport, taking a cab to St Jean.
Yeah, it came to 39 euro each = 127, but we got there in an hour on a VERY hot day, and enjoyed some local hikng and touring the town. No regrets ...
Thanks Cayou,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Or -- just walk from Barcelona to Logroño ? :p

Hi, We are flying to Barcelona in the of May and need to know how to travel from Barcelona airport to St. Jean Pied de Port. It's better to take train? or Bus? Or fly to the city of ?? Thanks,
I've replied to many of these since I traveled from BCN to SJPP last May. Here is my answer:
On youtube

Getting to SJPP from BCN:
From Los Angeles (LAX) to Barcelona (BCN)
After we landed in Barcelona, we took a taxi to the main train station in Barcelona; Barcelona Sants. The train from Barcelona takes up 4 hours to get to Pamplona.

To purchase your train ticket from Barcelona to Pamplona, go to the Renfe train website - you can select the "Welcome" version (English)
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

To purchase your bus tickets go to the Conda website:
http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=...
The Spanish version of the website is working, but not the English one.

Once you arrive in Pamplona, find the Estación De Autobuses (bus station) called "CONDA". The bus station looks like an Apple Store from the outside and you have to walk downstairs into the bus terminals. All underground, and it is very misleading if you don't know what you're looking for, so I recommend that you look at the outside on Google before you get there. If you walk to the "bus station" from the Pamplona Train Station, here are the Google directions:
https://goo.gl/maps/ox3PHqrM5LM2

Our bus was the "ALSA" bus to Pamplona. Make sure you go to the ticket window to ask what terminal number you should wait at for the bus.

Pamplona buses during the summer depart at 10, 12, 1430 and 1730 hours for SJPP. Plan accordingly. The bus ride takes almost 2 hours to get to SJPP. Ironically, you will be riding through the towns that you'll be hiking through when you begin your Camino, The French Way. Please note: this is just my own opinion, but if I would have known this prior to purchasing my train and bus tickets in advance, I would have begun my Camino in Pamplona and saved a few days. That's just me talking!

Questions? Comment below or email me to bustinwheels@yahoo.com, Buen Camino my friend!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back