• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to travel from Thessaloniki Greece to Sjpdp

Vassiliki

Time of past OR future Camino
Hallo! I am planning doing the Camino on June 2016 but I am still having trouble of how to get to SJPDP.
Can somebody help me with this?

Thank you!
Vass

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Vass,

Welcome to the Forum!

To research varous transport possibilities for travelling from Greece to SJPdP use www.Rome2Rio.com.
Routes/transport types/and costs will be presented in a handy overview as an answer your query.

Happy research and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Hi Vassiliki! Welcome to the forum!

Fly from Thessaloniki to Paris with Transavia (not daily) or with Aegean Airlines (direct flights not daily).

You can go from downtown Paris to SJPP by train changing trains in Bayonne. If you arrive to CDG airport and don't want to go to the downtown, you can go by train from CDG itself. It'll mean an extra change of trains but it will avoid you the hassle of getting into the downtown. For info about schedules, fares, ticket purchase..., take a look at www.sncf.com

You may also fly from Thessaloniki to Girona with Ryanair (not daily). From Girona airport, take a bus to Barcelona (with www.sagales.com), another bus from Barcelona to Pamplona (with www.monbus.es) and another one from Pamplona to SJPP (with www.alsa.es).

P.S.: Depending on the flight schedules, you may need to make an overnight stop somewhere along the route.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for your help Margaret! Really helpful!!!

Hi Vass,

Welcome to the Forum!

To research varous transport possibilities for travelling from Greece to SJPdP use www.Rome2Rio.com.
Routes/transport types/and costs will be presented in a handy overview as an answer your query.

Hi Vass,

Welcome to the Forum!

Margaret Meredith

Margaret Meredith

Hallo! I am planning doing the Camino on June 2016 but I am still having trouble of how to get to SJPDP.

Thank you!
Vass
Hola, Vassiliki!

On this forum there's at least one more person from Greece that I know of which you may want to contact. It's @angeliki louk
Just clik on it and choose private conversation, put a title in the first window and fill the conversation window with your query if she can be of some help!

Have a nice day!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola, Vassiliki!

On this forum there's at least one more person from Greece that I know of which you may want to contact. It's @angeliki louk
Just clik on it and choose private conversation, put a title in the first window and fill the conversation window with your query if she can be of some help!

Have a nice day!
Hola, Vassiliki!

Have a nice day!
Hey, that's a wonderful new! Thank you !!!!!

checking over what flights depart from the airport, it appears that Ryanair flies into Paris BVA leaving about 10.00 am and arriving at noon, 3 times per week

http://www.thessalonikiairport.com/departures/

If you can leave on a Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday, flying with Ryaniar saves you nearly $100 dollars each way.

Using Ryanair, you can fly home back to Greece from Barcelona Spain three times per week.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thank you!
Vass
Hi Vassiliki! Welcome to the forum.its nice to see more people from Greece wanting to walk this magical path :)
So you can fly to Paris and then from there to Biarritz :) and from there by share taxi to sjpdp :) it's very easy to get there :)

...to Biarritz :) and from there by share taxi to sjpdp :) it's very easy to get there :)

From Biarritz airport there are frequent buses to Bayonne train station and from Bayonne 3-5 trains daily to St.Jean. Much cheaper and much more pilgrim experience I'd say. But to each its own...

Plenty of info on the forum in section Coming to/from Camino. Check it out @Vassiliki

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, let's give @jirit a break - just use www.skyscanner.com and there you have it all ;)

I guess I am showing my age - I just use Google and a bit of old fashioned finger grease and a bit of internet searching to find stuff out - none of those one stop fancy flight scanning websites for me :)

Thank you!
Vass

The key bits are:

SNCF trains connect SJPdP with Bayonne.

CONDA (ALSA) buses connect SJPdP with Pamplona.

The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz BIQ. BIQ has connections with several major centers in Europe.

Bayonne and Pamplona are well connected to the rest of Europe by bus, train, and plane. People travel via Madrid, Paris, London, Barcelona etc. I'm sure you can find a flight to one or another of these locations from Greece that will suit your schedule and budget.

Another critical factor to consider is how you will get home from Santiago.

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

CONDA
http://www.conda.es/

BIQ
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

If you can leave on a Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday, flying with Ryaniar saves you nearly $100 dollars each way.

I don't know the fare of Ryanair but a one-way flight with Transavia from Thessaloniki to Paris can cost less than 50 Euros so it can't be a hundred dollars' saving. And Transavia arrives to Orly airport (the closest airport to downtown Paris) while Ryanair leaves you in Beauvais airport more than 80 kms away from downtown Paris. However, as I said on my previous post, Transavia doesn't fly daily to Paris from Thessaloniki.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I highly recommend Transavia Airlines as mentioned above by Castilian. They are user friendly (!!) and hyper well organized. In recent years flew TA from/to Paris, Porto, Lisbon and Funchal several times never with any problems. When you check-in your pack it travels in a nifty airline provided plastic bag.

On the other hand Ryan Air and Beauvais/Paris airport are usually chaotic.

Last edited:
The Ryanair flight from Thessaloniki to Paris in June leaving on a Tuesday was 19,90 euro one way.

You are correct the Paris BVA airport is a way out but it costs approx 16 euro to get back to Paris city

http://parisbytrain.com/tag/bva/

can't give any recommendation on either airline since I have not flown neither

The challenge will getting a reasonable flight from Spain back to Thessaloniki

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Ryanair flight from Thessaloniki to Paris in June leaving on a Tuesday was 19,90 euro one way.

You are correct the Paris BVA airport is a way out but it costs approx 16 euro to get back to Paris city

That's overall cheaper than the Transavia flight I saw although it means more hassle due to the location of Beauvais airport. As always with flights, the specific travel date can make a big difference in the price... Anyway, the OP already has some ideas and can figure out by herself what works better on her travel date.

The challenge will getting a reasonable flight from Spain back to Thessaloniki

Ryanair flies out of Girona (not daily). Getting to Girona from Santiago de Compostela by surface transport takes time but isn't too expensive if you book online well in advance to get discounted fares.

RyanAir and Vueling both fly from Santiago to Thessaloniki with a stopover.

Unless something has changed, Ryanair just sells point to point tickets so any connections (even if it's to another Ryanair flight) are at your own risk and mean getting two separate tickets (two separate check-ins, baggage isn't transfered for one flight to the other -if you have any checked baggage-...).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back