• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to use Gronze: Website vs App

cosmomom

{Moderator note: Three threads have been merged, so the following posts include some repetitions of both the questions and the replies.}

Sorry for what seems an obvious question, but is Gronze only a website and not an app?
And there’s not an English option so open in Chrome, right? Any other tips? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gronze also has a lot of 'hidden' information. For each stage of a camino, there are three tabs that contain different pieces of information. Looking at it now, the tab buttons seem fairly large and obvious at the top of each page but for a long time I didn't realise that these tabs existed.

The default tab is Albergues, which is self-explanatory -- it gives you accommodation options but doesn't give any details about the stage itself apart from a brief introduction. For several years, that's all I thought Gronze provided.

The second tab is Recorrido*, which is the guide book type part of the page, where it gives way-marking instructions and talks about the villages and landmarks etc during the stage. When we finally discovered this tab last year, it was great for our Portuguese Interior because we had no other book/app and this helped us break down each stage into manageable chunks.

Finally the Al Loro tab contains 'the most interesting things to know before starting a stage' and other curiosities. I haven't used this tab much but it seems that it would be useful in the planning period, and then Recorrido is what you would look at during a stage to know what's coming up.

* I use Gronze in Spanish and I'm not sure exactly how the machines translate Recorrido in this case (and I don't want to encourage my browser to translate) but I imagine it would be something like Route or Path.

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,051
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I let Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge do the translating for me. But it is worth checking the Spanish version for misleading translations of place names - for example Carcaboso on the VdlP used to be translated to "ghoulish"! :)
Apart from the fact that the Gronze website mainly contains language-neutral maps, information, and accommodation addresses, one has to wonder why someone who goes hiking in Spain for a few weeks does not bother to learn the few basic terms to understand the simple, repetitive information on Gronze without translation.
For me, Gronze is not only a Camino guide, but an invaluable help to familiarise myself with simple Spanish expressions and thereby a way to learn a little bit of Spanish.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gronze also has a lot of 'hidden' information. For each stage of a camino, there are three tabs that contain different pieces of information. Looking at it now, the tab buttons seem fairly large and obvious at the top of each page but for a long time I didn't realise that these tabs existed.

The default tab is Albergues, which is self-explanatory -- it gives you accommodation options but doesn't give any details about the stage itself apart from a brief introduction. For several years, that's all I thought Gronze provided.

The second tab is Recorrido*, which is the guide book type part of the page, where it gives way-marking instructions and talks about the villages and landmarks etc during the stage. When we finally discovered this tab last year, it was great for our Portuguese Interior because we had no other book/app and this helped us break down each stage into manageable chunks.

Finally the Al Loro tab contains 'the most interesting things to know before starting a stage' and other curiosities. I haven't used this tab much but it seems that it would be useful in the planning period, and then Recorrido is what you would look at during a stage to know what's coming up.

* I use Gronze in Spanish and I'm not sure exactly how the machines translate Recorrido in this case (and I don't want to encourage my browser to translate) but I imagine it would be something like Route or Path.
Third is super helpful, thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Apart from the fact that the Gronze website mainly contains language-neutral maps, information, and accommodation addresses, one has to wonder why someone who goes hiking in Spain for a few weeks does not bother to learn the few basic terms to understand the simple, repetitive information on Gronze without translation.
For me, Gronze is not only a Camino guide, but an invaluable help to familiarise myself with simple Spanish expressions and thereby a way to learn a little bit of Spanish.
That’sa really good idea, almost like a study guide. Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the education. Interesting, I wonder if the Recorrido button is new, as I haven't used Gronze much lately and I remember the "Al Loro" button from past usage. Seems like they are constantly improving from the basics of yore.

Thanks for the education. Interesting, I wonder if the Recorrido button is new, as I haven't used Gronze much lately and I remember the "Al Loro" button from past usage. Seems like they are constantly improving from the basics of yore.
Those buttons have been there for as long as I've been using gronze. I think that many of us use GPS on the less traveled caminos and are thus less likely to use the Recorrido button. It does provide detailed info, though.

I will repeat my Gronze soapbox request --

If you find a mistake (for instance, an albergue reported as open when it is closed, or vice versa) or if you have interesting tidbits to add to the Al Loro section, by all means hit the contacto button. There must be an extremely dedicated Gronze team at the ready, because I always get a response within a day. And they tell me if they have added my suggestions/comments and where they have been placed.

Gronze relies a lot on people on the ground, it seems, and I know that forum members use it a LOT!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Gronze maps app, see below, once you join, this is the 2nd screen that will further walk you through and to Gronze.com the usual page on the web. It is one of my go to Camino planners (+ Wise Pilgrim & Elle Bieling’s) and as Peregrina2000 and Jungleboy have posted they are very quick to respond not only to input from Peregrinos but also to hospitaleros so they are very accurate.

Attachments

• 0668EBF3-0ADD-4958-BA14-4400C8D44352.jpeg
    0668EBF3-0ADD-4958-BA14-4400C8D44352.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 02EA4071-0D3D-42C8-AFE4-624418069436.jpeg
    02EA4071-0D3D-42C8-AFE4-624418069436.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 56
There is an app. I installed it a couple days ago on my iphone, and from what I gather on their website, their app for androids was developed first and maybe has more features or something. Anyhow, seems to work great. In order to leave comments of your own on albergues, you have to click on "inicia sesion" and have an account. I can't remember if I had to set up the account (which is free) before installing the app or what, but I do have an account now, so I can leave reviews and updates for others about conditions, closures, etc. Haven't explored translation options because I'm fluent in Spanish. But I think even without that, it's pretty intuitive and still likely to be very useful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I let Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge do the translating for me. But it is worth checking the Spanish version for misleading translations of place names - for example Carcaboso on the VdlP used to be translated to "ghoulish"! :)
I love Gronze. An incredible resource. Another feature I appreciate is rhe elevation map it provides for each stage. Can be very helpful in considering how far I might walk on any given day. 😎
There is an app. I installed it a couple days ago on my iphone, and from what I gather on their website, their app for androids was developed first and maybe has more features or something. Anyhow, seems to work great. In order to leave comments of your own on albergues, you have to click on "inicia sesion" and have an account. I can't remember if I had to set up the account (which is free) before installing the app or what, but I do have an account now, so I can leave reviews and updates for others about conditions, closures, etc. Haven't explored translation options because I'm fluent in Spanish. But I think even without that, it's pretty intuitive and still likely to be very useful.
Wow, great news that an app for androids is already available, surely an iPhone app is on the way. This is excellent, thanks for the update.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hmm. Could be fear of making a boo-boo. Learning a bit of the lingo and putting it to use goes a long way with locals, whatever the language.But you have to shed your inhibitions, throw yourself into the mix, worry not about your accent, making mistakes or the giggles that may follow. Giggle, or better yet, laugh right out loud with them. Language acquisition is about making mistakes. The key is to not to allow your mistakes to keep you from learning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Works just fine using mobile data on your phone...and it doesn't use a lot, so you don't need to spend a fortune to buy some extra data if needs be.

Works just fine using mobile data on your phone...and it doesn't use a lot, so you don't need to spend a fortune to buy some extra data if needs be.
Yes, but it's still in beta, and can only be used with an internet connection.

Does anyone know why there’s only a Gronze app available to Android phone users? I can imagine why, but don’t know for sure…

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does anyone know why there’s only a Gronze app available to Android phone users? I can imagine why, but don’t know for sure…
Because they chose to develop it for Android first.
It is available on Apple as well.
Not according to Gronze. You can add a link to their site on iPhone, but an app is not yet available.

Because they chose to develop it for Android first.

Not according to Gronze. You can add a link to their site on iPhone, but an app is not yet available.
I have an iPhone and I have the app.🤷‍♀️IDK what this means. I tried to go to the Apple App Store and all of you are correct that it doesn’t come up.
Message #19 has a picture of it and from there I can get to Gronze. When is an app, not an app?
And don’t ask me how it got there, I don’t remember.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have an iPhone and I have the app.🤷‍♀️IDK what this means. I tried to go to the Apple App Store and all of you are correct that it doesn’t come up.
Message #19 has a picture of it and from there I can get to Gronze. When is an app, not an app?
It sounds like you have followed these directions from Gronze. This adds a link to the Gronze Maps website to your phone. It is not a true app, but probably functions just as well.

Screenshot_20230221_095338_Firefox.jpg

Just so you are aware, you can easily translate the Gronze website in the Safari browser if you are using an iPhone. Find the address bar and tap the aA button that appears on the left side of the address bar. A menu will pop up that allows you to translate the website.

One other cool function: The same pop-up menu allows you to adjust the size of the font you are viewing -- a nice feature for older eyes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Something I did not realize right away with Gronze. When you are on a "stage page", with towns listed in order on the stage. The town names are all HTML URL links, that will take you to a detailed page on that town. It includes a zoomed in map of the town, with the camino route through town, with accommodation icons. This help you see how far off-route you might need to walk for a specific albergue or hostel. (See attachment...)

Also, in bigger towns, look for a "See More" button at the bottom of the accomodation list. I was not getting the full list when I first starting using Gronze.

Jim

Screenshot from 2023-02-21 14-25-25.png

€149,-
Just so you are aware, you can easily translate the Gronze website in the Safari browser if you are using an iPhone. Find the address bar and tap the aA button that appears on the left side of the address bar. A menu will pop up that allows you to translate the website.

One other cool function: The same pop-up menu allows you to adjust the size of the font you are viewing -- a nice feature for older eyes.
There are some good translation apps available, for sure, but if you’ve got some time on your hands while planning a future camino, why not use one of the language learning apps to pick up some Spanish, Portuguese or French. Listening to music or news podcasts (there are some where the conductors don’t speak so fast) is a great way to get your “ear” accustomed to a language; or read some children’s books or comics in one of the languages. For me, it seems to be an integral part of anyone’s planning🤙🏽

Amén mi hermano! I love me some Duolingo. Simple phrase lists are just the best too. Worst case scenario (you somehow get to do a Camino with no advance notice -- could happen -- still waiting for that to happen for me!), know how to say please and thank you.

Amén mi hermano! I love me some Duolingo. Simple phrase lists are just the best too. Worst case scenario (you somehow get to do a Camino with no advance notice -- could happen -- still waiting for that to happen for me!), know how to say please and thank you.
Ándale with the Duolingo. It’s free, unless you don’t want it to be, and it’s fun. I started the French course back in March 2020 right about when we started Covid lockdown in México, and have kept with it to this day. Granted, my English and Spanish are waaay better, but I can defend myself, and you will always get a 🤙🏽 from the locals for making the attempt to communicate in their language. Buen camino, brah.

Sorry for what seems an obvious question, but is Gronze only a website and not an app?
And there’s not an English option so open in Chrome, right? Any other tips? Thank you.
But waiting for the app for iPhone. I hope they will develop it for iPhone too.

There are some good translation apps available, for sure, but if you’ve got some time on your hands while planning a future camino, why not use one of the language learning apps to pick up some Spanish, Portuguese or French. Listening to music or news podcasts (there are some where the conductors don’t speak so fast) is a great way to get your “ear” accustomed to a language; or read some children’s books or comics in one of the languages. For me, it seems to be an integral part of anyone’s planning🤙🏽
Here, hear! Let's do what we can to put more nails in the coffin of our language-bigot reputation (we English speakers). That said, many of us will still need translation on occasion. For which, I recommend the app from DeepL. It does a better job than Google on Indo-European languages (Spanish & English), and MUCH better on non-Indo-European languages. (And, for what it's worth, Microsoft's Bing is much worse than Google.)

Here, hear! Let's do what we can to put more nails in the coffin of our language-bigot reputation (we English speakers). That said, many of us will still need translation on occasion. For which, I recommend the app from DeepL. It does a better job than Google on Indo-European languages (Spanish & English), and MUCH better on non-Indo-European languages. (And, for what it's worth, Microsoft's Bing is much worse than Google.)
I second your motion on nailing that dang coffin shut. And I totally agree with u, WGroleau, @ DeepL. It is my go-to translator for all of my French studies, as well as non-Mexican Spanish words and phrases. Google-schmoogle! DeepL is it!

I second your motion on nailing that dang coffin shut. And I totally agree with u, WGroleau, @ DeepL. It is my go-to translator for all of my French studies, as well as non-Mexican Spanish words and phrases. Google-schmoogle! DeepL is it!
And I could have added that Google might well be NSA’s biggest competitor, with China close behind. Facebook is trying hard, but they're still barely "honorable mention."

You probably created a shortcut icon to the website that appears as an app on your Home Screen. If you Google “how to create a website shortcut on your iPhone”, you’ll find instructions on how to do it. I imagine one could accidentally do that as well.

€60,-
I imagine one could accidentally do that as well.
There are loads of accidental things I seem to manage to do on my IPhone. What freaks me out the most is that Siri is always listening and lately if any word sounds like “Siri” she responds. So maybe Siri did it.
Seriously, thanks for your reply.

And I could have added that Google might well be NSA’s biggest competitor, with China close behind. Facebook is trying hard, but they're still barely "honorable mention."
👀Ooh, now that’s “spooky”👀

Just wondering if it is possible to translate the Gronze app to English?
I know how to do it on the website but am challenged by the app.
I can make sense of most of it anyway but the question piqued my interest.
Many thanks

This question comes up on every thread about Gronze - for example, this recent one.

Edited to add: I now realize that you know how to do it with the browser on your phone or computer, but can't with the Map App. Sorry, I can't answer that question, but maybe the linked thread has some clues.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The map app is just maps with gps. If you click on a link to an albergue it will take you to the Gronze site with the information for that albergue. If you have your phone set up to open links in Chrome it will translate the text for you.

In case you are an iPhone user know that the iPhone version of the Gronze app is implemented by a "magical" link to the Gronze website. I don't know what the app looks like but if you visit the Gronze website with a browser the browser likely has a way to translate the webpage. The Chrome browser notices that the page isn't in your language and automatically asks if you want it translated instead of having you work to find the translation facility.

Is Gronze an app, or just a website? I haven't been able to find it as an app.
I believe it’s only available as an android app now, but an iOS version is in the works. I’m using the website until then. 🤙🏽

€149,-
From gronze.com: “Para iPhone y otros dispositivos existe una Aplicación Web (PWA). Próximamente también estará disponible en el Apple Store.” Stay tuned, Apple folks! 🤙🏽

Seems that you can add the maps from the gronze.com site by tapping on “App” at the top of the page, scrolling down ‘bout halfway to where it gives instructions for “Instalación de Gronze Maps” on ipads and iphones.

Seems that you can add the maps from the gronze.com site by tapping on “App” at the top of the page, scrolling down ‘bout halfway to where it gives instructions for “Instalación de Gronze Maps” on ipads and iphones.
But, it doesn't work offline like other maps apps. (Yet)

I have not read this entire thread, but does anyone know if it's possible for users to leave photos on the lodging pages? I can't find a way to do it.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.