• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to use my laptop in a friend's home without wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILGRIMSPLAZA

As a stranger in this paradise I'm very reluctant to take my laptop abroad because I have no idea what mishap may happen when I try to use it for browsing AND mailing in a place without hotspot or wifi connection.

How do I prepare myself and my laptop at home? How many and which cables do I need?

PS: My tiny holiday country town has one internet shop, but last year they said I can't mail there because 'it is too dangerous'. All the campings around are closed by now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I assume Spain.

http://www.vodafone.es/tienda/parti...t-movil/internet-movil-contrato/dispositivos/

You don't need cables. Other companies should offer similar devices.

Unless you intend to pay the high cost of data roaming there isn't much you should do from home. Look at the various Spanish carriers and see who has the best offer.

If you have a phone that supports MiFI you might want to see if any of the Spanish carriers support this feature. That would save you the cost of buying a device. Or you could put the cost of the device towards a new phone.

I assume Spain.

http://www.vodafone.es/tienda/parti...t-movil/internet-movil-contrato/dispositivos/

You don't need cables. Other companies should offer similar devices.

Unless you intend to pay the high cost of data roaming there isn't much you should do from home. Look at the various Spanish carriers and see who has the best offer.

If you have a phone that supports MiFI you might want to see if any of the Spanish carriers support this feature. That would save you the cost of buying a device. Or you could put the cost of the device towards a new phone.
Hi Nico,
Thank you very much for your effort but -no offence- this is abacadabra to me; I don't speak Spanish. I'm 72 and by far no whizz-kid in this field. My question anticiapated the situation in the house of a friend who has a pc but also is no expert and who has no idea how to help his guest out.
I suppose I could get access to the web through his pc but what have he and I to do to get my laptop connected? Log in? Passwords? Usernames? For us it is a strange and user very hostile world...
Thanks again,
Geert

PS: Does it make a difference whether the host has a cable or a non-cable connection to www?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Usually the devices sold by phone companies come with software. You attach the device. The USB key installs the software on your computer. It sets up all the passwords etc for you. Fairly painless these days.

If you're in an area with cell phone data coverage the hardest thing you need to do is pick the best offer for you.

OK, I try to answer this without 'geek speak'. First of all I would suggest that you download http://www.hotspotshield.com/ (the free version is enough for this) and install it. Make also sure that your antivirus and anti-malware softwares are up to date. This isn't an absolute protection, but will help to prevent some of the problems (hacking, people try to steal your passwords, identity theft ect) that might happen when using an unsecured internet access.

As we are talking laptops here (do your want to carry it over the Camino or is this not Camino related?) and which country do you want to use your laptop in?
Hotspots and free wifi are frequent in Europe (but see above for the dangers of using unsecured networks for sensitive stuff like baking!). The cable you need is an Ethernet (wired LAN) cable. Before buying one make sure that the shop you buy it from knows where you are travelling to as the connector to the "telephone box/ line" varies between countries.

Hope that helps, SY

As a stranger in this paradise I'm very reluctant to take my laptop abroad because I have no idea what mishap may happen when I try to use it for browsing AND mailing in a place without hotspot or wifi connection.
How do I prepare myself and my laptop at home? How many and which cables do I need?
PS: My tiny holiday country town has one internet shop, but last year they said I can't mail there because 'it is too dangerous'. All the campings around are closed by now.

OK, I try to answer this without 'geek speak'. First of all I would suggest that you download http://www.hotspotshield.com/ (the free version is enough for this) and install it. Make also sure that your antivirus and anti-malware softwares are up to date. This isn't an absolute protection, but will help to prevent some of the problems (hacking, people try to steal your passwords, identity theft ect) that might happen when using an unsecured internet access.

As we are talking laptops here (do your want to carry it over the Camino or is this not Camino related?) and which country do you want to use your laptop in?
Hotspots and free wifi are frequent in Europe (but see above for the dangers of using unsecured networks for sensitive stuff like baking!). The cable you need is an Ethernet (wired LAN) cable. Before buying one make sure that the shop you buy it from knows where you are travelling to as the connector to the "telephone box/ line" varies between countries.

Hope that helps, SY
Sorry SY, I tried but failed again:

On http://compnetworking.about.com/od/ethernet/f/what-is-an-ethernet-cable.htm I found: What Is An Ethernet Cable? Question: What Is An Ethernet Cable? Answer: An Ethernet cable is one of the most popular forms of network cable used on wired networks. Ethernet cables connect devices on local area networks such as PCs, routers and switches. [ I guess PC’s is relevant for my question.]

A crossover cable is a special type of Ethernet cable specially designed for connecting two computers to each other. By contrast, most Ethenet cables are designed to connect one computer to a router or switch.

Ethernet cables are physically manufactured in two basic forms called solid and stranded. Solid Ethernet cables tend to offer better performance and protection against electrical interference, while stranded cables are less prone to physical cracks and breaks making them more suitable for travelers and portable devices. [ I take it that ‘for travellers and portable devices’ indicates a stranded crossover cable.]

On http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networkcables/g/bldef_crossover.htm I found: Ethernet crossover cables should only be used for direct network connections. In particular, attempting to connect a computer to a hub with a crossover cable will prevent that network link from functioning. [ Does ‘prevent that network link from functioning’ mean that this is a bad choice afterall?]

Perhaps we should follow a different strategy. Bearing in mind that I’m not the first and only to stumble on this question: could it be answered somewhere already and how do I find these answers?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1705576/connect-ethernet-cable-wireless-laptop.html - Possible to connect Ethernet Cable from wireless laptop to a PC? [Again: this is to difficult for me – I give up]

Thank you all very much for your help! Perhaps I should leave this infernal machine at home...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry SY, I tried but failed again:
... Perhaps I should leave this infernal machine at home...

Ok, lets see if this article makes more sense for you: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm (read the whole thing, basically you connect your laptop via the mentioned cable to the telephone socket).
On the other hand, ask yourself if you really, and for what?, need your own laptop on the Camino.
If it is 'only' for staying in contact and telling the family that you are still alive use text messaging on your phone and / or set up a completely new gmail email (that you don't use for anything else) and give that to people and check it every few days in one of the umpteen internet cafes on the way. SY

Ok, lets see if this article makes more sense for you: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm (read the whole thing, basically you connect your laptop via the mentioned cable to the telephone socket).
On the other hand, ask yourself if you really, and for what?, need your own laptop on the Camino.
If it is 'only' for staying in contact and telling the family that you are still alive use text messaging on your phone and / or set up a completely new gmail email (that you don't use for anything else) and give that to people and check it every few days in one of the umpteen internet cafes on the way. SY
A modem: brilliant! I didn't think of that. I use it here all the time, so could take it together with me laptop.
On the other hand: perhaps the problem isn't that complicated? I talked with a couple of friends; one mentioned the cable [between my laptop and my host's computer - getting rid of me smartphone, being not smart enough] and the other said: You don't need anything at all... --- Anyone?
I can't walk that far anymore, so I'm thinking of getting a nice camper with a toilet and a shower and taking it [very] easy... - done enough professional walking in me working days anyway!
Thanks again, SY!

Sorry, but why on earth would you want to lug a laptop and other kit anywhere outside your home? Have you nothing more important to carry like a few little luxuries. I took my smartphone which is a relatively basic model which allowed me to make phone calls, send texts, blog with photos, send and receive emails and even listen to The Archers on BBC radio ( long running radio series 'as everyday story of country folk' for you non Brits out there). Really it's all I needed. Oh and I also had my Kindle app on it to read books ad I had downloaded Googe Translate offline version to use as a dictionary. Altogether a most useful tool.

Ultreïa.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry, but why on earth would you want to lug a laptop and other kit anywhere outside your home?
Thank you Sixwheeler! You're right! Sometimes I get confused... Especially when my smartphone plays tricks again.

Btw [just being nosy]: What do you do with 6 wheels?

But seriously: I would really like an answer on my initial question [see top of this page] by a pilgrim with that particular experience. [But perhaps I should have realized that true pilgrims don't carry laptops and modems...]

Buen Camino!

Hi, Pilgrim Plaza.
I feel your pain.
I wanted to stay connected to family and friends while walking the Camino. I even wanted to blog while on my journey. All this meant I needed to figure out a way to stay connected to cyberspace, without adding a major amount of weight.

One of your messages implied that you want to connect from a friend's house. I assume that this friend has internet, either wirelessly or with a cable. If you are planning to stay there for a short time, just use his/her laptop.
However, if you plan to stay there for a length of time, you want to connect your own laptop to the internet so you don't have to depend on/bother your friend every time you want to go on line.

First, does your laptop have internet access at home? Do you use a wireless connection or do you connect using cables?
It sounds like you use cable. Nowadays, most laptops are capable of connecting over the internet wirelessly, even if you normally use cables. This is what Wifi is all about.

You can find out whether your particular laptop can connect wirelessly pretty easily - contact me and I'll be happy to help you out (or at least send you in the right direction).
If your laptop connects wirelessly, a screen will probably pop up somewhere on your monitor when it "senses" that there is a wireless internet connection floating around somewhere in the neighborhood.
If your laptop cannot connect wirelessly and can only connect with cable, a notice will also pop up automatically when you cable it in and it senses a connection available.
Your laptop is like a bloodhound which picks up an "internet connection scent" in spite of what else it may be doing and will let you know. It is one of the things laptops are designed to do automatically, like automatically changing the time and date.

There are several levels of privacy with internet connections.

1. There are public connections, which are easy to get into but are public. You don't need a password for this. However, you don't want to do anything that you want to keep private while using a public internet connection because people you don't know may be able to access your stuff. When using a public internet connection, be especially aware of closing/signing out completely and carefully. I agree with SY who advised you to get software that helps keep bad guys out. Public internet connections are how people can use their computers at Starbucks, McDonald's, and many other places (internet cafes) that have free WiFi.

2. There are "secure" internet connections. If you use a secure internet connection, you need a password to "get in" or "unlock the door." You might even see a little picture of a lock on the screen. All you need to do is get the password and type it in when your computer asks for it. This is more secure but definitely not perfect. Also, sometimes these connections are not free.

Let's go to the bigger question of why you want to take a laptop with you in the first place? Big, heavy, vulnerable in many ways (stolen? lost? broken?).
Your friends here on the Camino forum can give you better advice if you give them a better understanding of your situation. It seems complicated but it might be easier than it appears.

Hope this helps but sorry it went on for so long.

Kathy

PS - I ended up taking my smartphone and my iPad. And I know many here would argue about my having taken either. But they met my needs :)
PPS - If your friend does not have internet at his/her home, you have run into a whole new set of circumstances (my Mom doesn't have internet at home and it's a challenge for me when I visit). If that is the case, just ignore everything I've said in this posting.:p

Hi, Pilgrim Plaza.
I feel your pain.
I wanted to stay connected to family and friends while walking the Camino. I even wanted to blog while on my journey. All this meant I needed to figure out a way to stay connected to cyberspace, without adding a major amount of weight.

One of your messages implied that you want to connect from a friend's house. I assume that this friend has internet, either wirelessly or with a cable. If you are planning to stay there for a short time, just use his/her laptop.
However, if you plan to stay there for a length of time, you want to connect your own laptop to the internet so you don't have to depend on/bother your friend every time you want to go on line.

First, does your laptop have internet access at home? Do you use a wireless connection or do you connect using cables?
It sounds like you use cable. Nowadays, most laptops are capable of connecting over the internet wirelessly, even if you normally use cables. This is what Wifi is all about.

You can find out whether your particular laptop can connect wirelessly pretty easily - contact me and I'll be happy to help you out (or at least send you in the right direction).
If your laptop connects wirelessly, a screen will probably pop up somewhere on your monitor when it "senses" that there is a wireless internet connection floating around somewhere in the neighborhood.
If your laptop cannot connect wirelessly and can only connect with cable, a notice will also pop up automatically when you cable it in and it senses a connection available.
Your laptop is like a bloodhound which picks up an "internet connection scent" in spite of what else it may be doing and will let you know. It is one of the things laptops are designed to do automatically, like automatically changing the time and date.

There are several levels of privacy with internet connections.

1. There are public connections, which are easy to get into but are public. You don't need a password for this. However, you don't want to do anything that you want to keep private while using a public internet connection because people you don't know may be able to access your stuff. When using a public internet connection, be especially aware of closing/signing out completely and carefully. I agree with SY who advised you to get software that helps keep bad guys out. Public internet connections are how people can use their computers at Starbucks, McDonald's, and many other places (internet cafes) that have free WiFi.

2. There are "secure" internet connections. If you use a secure internet connection, you need a password to "get in" or "unlock the door." You might even see a little picture of a lock on the screen. All you need to do is get the password and type it in when your computer asks for it. This is more secure but definitely not perfect. Also, sometimes these connections are not free.

Let's go to the bigger question of why you want to take a laptop with you in the first place? Big, heavy, vulnerable in many ways (stolen? lost? broken?).
Your friends here on the Camino forum can give you better advice if you give them a better understanding of your situation. It seems complicated but it might be easier than it appears.

Hope this helps but sorry it went on for so long.

Kathy

PS - I ended up taking my smartphone and my iPad. And I know many here would argue about my having taken either. But they met my needs :)
PPS - If your friend does not have internet at his/her home, you have run into a whole new set of circumstances (my Mom doesn't have internet at home and it's a challenge for me when I visit). If that is the case, just ignore everything I've said in this posting.:p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wonderful! Thank you for being so comprehensive, Kathy! It will take time to fathem it all, but I'll enjoy every minute! Shall we PM till we reach conclusions fit to share with our readers? Brassa! Geert

Pilgrimplaza, Sixwheeler is because I used to drive a truck with six wheels, known in the UK as a Sixwheeler. Good Luck

my Word document: Laptop - How to use my laptop in a friend's home without wifi

Hi All,
I’m on holiday on my sacred mountain in a large nature reservation in the North of Holland. My cottage has no electricity nor wifi, so in a pub in the next town the landlord helped to get internet connection on his wifi. After a few trials and errors we succeeded and the next day I could do it meself, so now I’ll try to post this.

In my laptop Inbox I daily get new mails, but I can’t see old ones in my pc at home [I switched that off leaving the house]. I get Ivar’s daily report of new Forum posts, but I can’t open them, like this one I would like to read: VIII Centenary of the Pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi to Santiago de Compostela ( 1214-2014 ) . Clicking this link in Ivar’s mail had no result and clicking it here in this Word document [wichi I’ll try to post later] only brought me back to my laptop Inbox, but not the the wanted post.

In this process I got a Warning about an Unresponsive Script and was given a choice between stopping or continuing. Not knowing what it meant I tried both but it didn’t help much.

Then I opened the Forum icon on my laptop and opened Recents Posts and the wanted one on http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...isi-to-santiago-de-compostela-1214-2014.20822 -

Now I’ll try to post this document in my post How to use my laptop in a friend's home without wifi on http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...-friends-home-without-wifi.21440/#post-166931

This did not go without difficulties: I couldn't enter the text field without clicking a "BB" link in the top right corner.

When that has succeeded I’ll try to attach a picture.

A few more questions:
1 How to open active links in mails in my laptop far away from my pc at home?
2 I think my laptop is getting old; perhaps I should get a newer one. An Apple Ipad?
Anyone?

Stay tuned!
Thanks!
Geerτ

PS: Y'all understand that my love/hate-relation with this macabre machine has deepened...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
my Word document: Laptop - How to use my laptop in a friend's home without wifi

Hi All,
I’m on holiday on my sacred mountain in a large nature reservation in the North of Holland. My cottage has no electricity nor wifi, so in a pub in the next town the landlord helped to get internet connection on his wifi. After a few trials and errors we succeeded and the next day I could do it meself, so now I’ll try to post this.

In my laptop Inbox I daily get new mails, but I can’t see old ones in my pc at home [I switched that off leaving the house]. I get Ivar’s daily report of new Forum posts, but I can’t open them, like this one I would like to read: VIII Centenary of the Pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi to Santiago de Compostela ( 1214-2014 ) . Clicking this link in Ivar’s mail had no result and clicking it here in this Word document [wichi I’ll try to post later] only brought me back to my laptop Inbox, but not the the wanted post.

In this process I got a Warning about an Unresponsive Script and was given a choice between stopping or continuing. Not knowing what it meant I tried both but it didn’t help much.

Then I opened the Forum icon on my laptop and opened Recents Posts and the wanted one on http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...isi-to-santiago-de-compostela-1214-2014.20822 -

Now I’ll try to post this document in my post How to use my laptop in a friend's home without wifi on http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...-friends-home-without-wifi.21440/#post-166931

This did not go without difficulties: I couldn't enter the text field without clicking a "BB" link in the top right corner.

When that has succeeded I’ll try to attach a picture.

A few more questions:
1 How to open active links in mails in my laptop far away from my pc at home?
2 I think my laptop is getting old; perhaps I should get a newer one. An Apple Ipad?
Anyone?

Stay tuned!
Thanks!
Geerτ

PS: Y'all understand that my love/hate-relation with this macabre machine has deepened...

Yesss,,, it worked, so far. I tried to edit the post above to share the good news, but the system wouldn't let me, so instead I just tried to reply and after clicking the Use BB Code Editor button I'll now try to past a pic by Uploading a File

Attachments

• 2013 vakantie vrijdag 8 november 001.jpg
    2013 vakantie vrijdag 8 november 001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Yesss,,, it worked, so far. I tried to edit the post above to share the good news, but the system wouldn't let me, so instead I just tried to reply and after clicking the Use BB Code Editor button I'll now try to past a pic by Uploading a File

Attachments

• 2013 vakantie vrijdag 8 november 038.jpg
    2013 vakantie vrijdag 8 november 038.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 10
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In my laptop Inbox I daily get new mails, but I can’t see old ones in my pc at home [I switched that off leaving the house].
I had a similar problem but found that there is a box in the tools or settings section of my e-mail problem which says 'leave message on server' A tick in this meant that the laptop downloaded messages, but later I could download them on the main PC in the normal way. Using a web-based e-mail reader, at times, made it easy to remove any unwanted e-mails.
If you mean you cannot see e-mails already on your PC it is because they are automatically removed from the server when you get them, so you can only see them now on your PC.

Way back I think that I just used the routers cable into my own laptop when visiting a non-wifi friend. I don't remember whether it needed a password like wi-fi does.
HH

I had a similar problem but found that there is a box in the tools or settings section of my e-mail problem which says 'leave message on server' A tick in this meant that the laptop downloaded messages, but later I could download them on the main PC in the normal way. Using a web-based e-mail reader, at times, made it easy to remove any unwanted e-mails.
If you mean you cannot see e-mails already on your PC it is because they are automatically removed from the server when you get them, so you can only see them now on your PC.

Way back I think that I just used the routers cable into my own laptop when visiting a non-wifi friend. I don't remember whether it needed a password like wi-fi does.
HH

Hi happyhermit,
Thank you for your quick and useful reaction! I think I’ve done that earlier at home.
Nice signature: Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths.
Right now I could use some more enlightenment…
First about the given Warning about an Unresponsive Script and the given choice between stopping or continuing the making of that script.
Could you please tell what that is about and what I should do?
Second also about clicking the Use BB Code Editor button. Should I click that asap?
Thanks again!
Best!
Geerτ

PS: So far I’ve tackled the problem of mailing and posting using wifi.
Now back to the initial question of internetting in a place without it.
I hope to test that this week.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
First about the given Warning about an Unresponsive Script and the given choice between stopping or continuing the making of that script.
I have usually allowed the page to load as, so far as I am aware, the 'unresposive script' is effectively disabled. It might mean that a page has something missing, but should not cause an actual problem. Again that is 'to the best of my knowledge'. The question about the BB code editor is out of my range of knowledge, so sorry I cannot help there. Is it writing 'html' or is it trying to code a programme rather than a page or text appearance. ('html' is like the bracketed words that you see when clicking the links at the top of the reply panel, eg ".) End of my expertise I am afraid.
HH

Just a suggestion for you …. why not go on ebay and get yourself an IPOD with wifi second hand? Lot less weight to carry and not that expensive if you buy it second hand. You can email, read the news ect. through the free wifi at albergues for a fraction of the weight to carry.

Mark

Mark gave me some good advice; I couldn't answer his post * so PM it.

By now I can get connected via wifi in restaurants easily.

So back to my original question on how it works in a friend's house without wifi?
Hopefully I can test that on Friday.

Yesterday I got a tip to get a dongel. Anyone?

My main reason for taking my laptop is for storing my pics and video's.
After a week on holiday my camera is nearly full already. [Yesterday filmed how wooden shoes are made...]

* Ivar, I saw you are online. Have you any advice? How or where can I see whether I'm logged in?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
So back to my original question on how it works in a friend's house without wifi?
Hopefully I can test that on Friday.

Yesterday we tried but failed. My friend's router was working OK but my laptop didn't find it, for reasons unknown to us. Today is Saterday and I'm typing this in another restaurant with wifi in the middle of nowhere and it works fine. Does anyone recognize this experience?

A new question popped up: In the process of Replying to this Thread I learned by many trials and errors that I could only find this window in which I'm typing now by Previewing and clicking on a tiny icon that said: Use BB Code Editor. I have no idea what it meant but it worked after a while. Anyone?

[In another process of opening one of my weblogs a warning popped up about a non-working script that I could stop or ignore. Does anyone know what it means and what to do?]

A second reason for taking my laptop on holiday is storing photo's and video's from my LG smartphone to empty it. That works OK.

Thank you all for your help!
Geerτ

Last edited:
A second reason for taking my laptop on holiday is storing photo's and video's from my LG smartphone to empty it. That works OK.

I shouldn’t have said that! Yesterday the connector in the phone stopped connecting the laptop. The plug for loading the phone still worked, but something else in the tiny socket must have been bent.

The local computer and phone shops tested a new cable without the wanted result. The phone is getting full, but the only advice they could give was to bring the phone to the shop where I bought it, but that is a few hours away.

In the local inn where I have my evening meals I got the tip of buying a new memory card to replace the nearly full one in the phone. What a relief... I’ve come here to film the planting of a tree for my loved one, so I must get this smartphone to do what it is supposed to do.

When this is posted I’ll to try to paste a pic of this new personal pilgrim site.

This morning in the other restaurant I was yesterday I tried for more than 2 hours to update my favourite weblog, but the system refused. The laptop was immediately recognised by the router, so logging in was skipped but the cursor refused to get ready for action.

It’s getting more clearly that it’s no use taking this laptop on holiday for this reason only.
We’ll see how a new memory card works next week..

Attachments

• IMG1452.jpg
    IMG1452.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
A little to my surprise the uploading of the picture succeeded, although it is rather big: nearly 2 MB's.

Today is Monday 18 November and a new problem arose: I can't get to my Ziggo mailbox.

Clicking the usual icon I always use a general portal page came up with the question whether I use e-mail or webmail? No idea!

Clicking the only presented option of Webmail didn't bring me where I wanted to be.

A smart kitchen boy here concluded that provider Ziggo must have a connecting problem, so that makes two. I'm getting fed up...

PS: Is this familiar?
"Warning: Unresponding script
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete."
Choice: Stop script or Continue
Mostly I click: Continue

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tuesday 19 November:

Ziggo mailbox works again.

Uploading a picture from my laptop into my favourite weblog failed again as it did for several days; it said: 'Uploading failed. The server's reaction is invalid.' Again no idea what that means...

The new phone memory card works OK.

Today a friend explained how a dongel works; only where my phone also works and within reach of the provider [in my case KPN] in Holland. How do [local?] dongels work abroad? Anyone?

When I left the inn last night the phone battery was loaded for about 60% which I thought would be enough for tomorrow. Later that night I panicked because there was only 1% left. Later I tried to load the battery from my laptop and it did, albeit slowly. What a relief...

The laptop is now fully charged and the phone for nearly 100%. Check it later.

See what tomorrow brings...

Attachments

• 2013 vakantie vrijdag 8 november 071.jpg
    2013 vakantie vrijdag 8 november 071.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 4
Wednesday 20 November 2013

Overnight the phone had lost some power but left plenty for shooting all the video's and pics wanted. The bench has arrived and the tree will follow Friday; very moving!

The phone shop couldn't explain the earlier loss of power nor the sudden popping up of an also very unwanted skype function I didn't know the phone had.

Modern smartphones need to be charged every [other] day anyway and there is no such thing as 240 hrs standby phone companies used to boast of. Times have changed....

All unwanted current consumers are switched off now, so we'll see how much power there is left in the morning. Feel surprisingly relaxed...

I will close this thread now since I hope you have found a solution to your computer problem. Back to Camino related converations.. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.