Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to use opinions in the Invierno guide?

peregrina2000

Staff member
In post nuber 30 of this thread, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/growth-on-the-invierno-finally.44895/, my pal @Anemone del Camino expressed concern about the Invierno guide's inclusion of pilgrim opinions about bars and restaurants. To sum it up, she points out that a bad review may be the result of one bad apple having a bad day, and a good review may be equally misleading. Given that the numbers of Invierno pilgrims are small, one bad opinion may be more damning to a proprietor than in other guidebooks.

I thought a lot about that and have decided that it's important to keep those reviews in there. Even though the numbers of "reviewers" are small, as we go forward we gather good information and keep it up to date.

So, here's what I propose to say in the introduction about those "opinion reviews". Let me know what you think.

Note on the guide’s recommendations. Many Invierno pilgrims have offered opinions on the quality of food and lodging, and these are included here. I realize that a bad review of a restaurant may just mean that someone had a bad day in the kitchen, or the server woke up on the wrong side of the bed. So, please read these reviews with that in mind. I note instances where people have given positive reviews, especially those places where we have unanimous rave reviews. I also note the uniformly bad reviews. Those that are “mixed” are also noted. For instance, if Pilgrim number 1 goes to a restaurant and has a great meal, I will put it in the guidebook. If Pilgrim number 2, following our recommendation, goes to the same place and doesn’t like it, I will change the review to note that there are mixed opinions. So please keep those revews coming!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Laurie,

I totally agree with @Anemone del Camino on this point. IMHO a guide - any guide to any Camino - should give objective information, there is no place for "opinions". People's subjective viewpoints may and should be shared when asked and the forum is a perfect place for that but I have seen/heard of pilgrims avoiding a certain albergue or restaurant based on one or two comments. What one person views as basic or inadequate may be heaven to me!

Running an albergue, café or restaurant is tough business especially on these solitary Caminos. I would hate to see us making it even harder.

p.s. I just see that @Anemone del Camino loves it. My viewpoint unchanged ;).

I get what you're saying, but I have enough examples of people telling me things like -- "I'm so glad I read the guide and didn't stay in that pensión in XXX because I heard from some who did how horrible it was", (Chantada) or "I never would have found that restaurant if it hadn't been for the guide recommendation" (Quiroga). To me, that balances out the few occasions like the one reported in the other thread -- "I went to the place recommended in the guide and didn't like it." (Quiroga) I think that's easily corrected by putting in a statement about how pilgrim opinions are mixed.

I guess we have different opinions about the role of guides in general, not just this little inconsequential Invierno guide. I understand your perspective, but I don't think any guidebook would be very widely used if there were no recommendations on places to eat and sleep. And not to be pedantic, I hope, but if no opinions are allowed, it's ok to say things like "I was served stale bread and there were bugs in my soup" but not a simple "not recommended", so really there isn't much difference between our positions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Laurie, take a look at Brierly, editorial Buen camino. They are widely used and don't make any comments except occasionally for the "not to be missed". For example the hearts Brierly now uses.

But I can still compromise. i think. :rolleyes:

In post nuber 30 of this thread, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/growth-on-the-invierno-finally.44895/, my pal @Anemone del Camino expressed concern about the Invierno guide's inclusion of pilgrim opinions about bars and restaurants. To sum it up, she points out that a bad review may be the result of one bad apple having a bad day, and a good review may be equally misleading. Given that the numbers of Invierno pilgrims are small, one bad opinion may be more damning to a proprietor than in other guidebooks.

I thought a lot about that and have decided that it's important to keep those reviews in there. Even though the numbers of "reviewers" are small, as we go forward we gather good information and keep it up to date.

So, here's what I propose to say in the introduction about those "opinion reviews". Let me know what you think.

Note on the guide’s recommendations. Many Invierno pilgrims have offered opinions on the quality of food and lodging, and these are included here. I realize that a bad review of a restaurant may just mean that someone had a bad day in the kitchen, or the server woke up on the wrong side of the bed. So, please read these reviews with that in mind. I note instances where people have given positive reviews, especially those places where we have unanimous rave reviews. I also note the uniformly bad reviews. Those that are “mixed” are also noted. For instance, if Pilgrim number 1 goes to a restaurant and has a great meal, I will put it in the guidebook. If Pilgrim number 2, following our recommendation, goes to the same place and doesn’t like it, I will change the review to note that there are mixed opinions. So please keep those revews coming!
I'm sure that would do just fine. Also as a compromise.
I don't believe that much of "spoiled" (one-time only/tourigrinos etc., sorry for maybe inadequate expression) pilgrims would ever go for a less walked Camino, which Invierno definitely is, and a guide with this way written remarks would be a put-off for them (@LTfit).

One other suggestion (not for the guide though or maybe even yes) where there is not much of a choice of bars/restaurants in villages. Regardless of opinions and previous comments I at least go there for a beer to help make my decision regarding possible meal there. You can't really miss with a bottled beer, it's the same everywhere but you can still have a swift experience of a place/people there ;)

I've just posted on the above-mentioned thread. I am with peregrina2000 on this one, although I have to add that it may sometimes be a problem if you don't speak the language well enough.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm sure that would do just fine. Also as a compromise.
I don't believe that much of "spoiled" (one-time only/tourigrinos etc., sorry for maybe inadequate expression) pilgrims would ever go for a less walked Camino, which Invierno definitely is, and a guide with this way written remarks would be a put-off for them (@LTfit).

One other suggestion (not for the guide though or maybe even yes) where there is not much of a choice of bars/restaurants in villages. Regardless of opinions and previous comments I at least go there for a beer to help make my decision regarding possible meal there. You can't really miss with a bottled beer, it's the same everywhere but you can still have a swift experience of a place/people there ;)
I'm with you on this, KinkyOne. The first time I got to Quiroga, I had read about Chapakuña as a place to eat. One bottle of Estrella later I decided it wasn't what I was looking for, which meant that I ended up in the Aroza. Beer first, great service, big free tapa, no problems getting into their comedor round the back.

Hmmm. I've mixed opinions on this, so my reviews of almost any restaurant or hotel would also be mixed, and even I wouldn't know whether I should recommend them or not! First, a guide can be whatever its author wants it to be - opinions, straight facts, fiction, etc. I think that @peregrina2000 is trying to put together some facts (which can include reported experiences) that will help future pilgrims have a good experience, and that will also help the local infrastructure develop appropriately.

The disclaimer can go in, but really we will all ignore it, and it takes up valuable (and heavy) space on the paper or screen.

I get overwhelmed trying to make decisions on the basis of mild or mixed reviews, especially on a camino when what matters most is whether the entrance door to the facility is within sight, and whether my friends are waving to me. However, seeing a "good" or a "bad" on a review can be a powerful influence sometimes.

I am happy if a guide simply lists the places, indicates the type of sleeping option, and not a lot else. That encourages me to accept and enjoy the luck of the draw.

If I were writing a guide on a route that is not traveled a lot and whose infrastructure is still developing, I would rate only minimally - perhaps the occasional positive remark and an even rarer negative. The negatives should certainly be verified by reliable sources. This approach has the added advantage of reducing the work that the author needs to put in to receive and calibrate the reviews! Just don't include them, as a rule.

@peregrina2000 - If you would like any help editing your guide (especially for conciseness), let me know.

I realize that a bad review of a restaurant may just mean that someone had a bad day in the kitchen, or the server woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Or that the pilgrim reviewer may be a bit cranky after having had a really long walk in the heat, cold or rain after a sleepless night in an albergue full of snorers who set their alarms for an early start.

€60,-
I was cogitating while driving this afternoon and came up with another reason for not commenting other than for the exceptional finds, and that is that any new business that sets up shop after the guide is writen, and before it is revised, will not get airtime in favour to the ine in the guide.

And ... what about the places noone has visited, experienced, popped into? Because, and I may be wrong, I don't believe anyone has walked the Invierno with a mind to visit every shop, pension or bar, like I would asssume St John. B. does.Or maybe he doesn't systematically visit everywhere which is why he seldom comments?

€60,-
Do you want to police that the owners of the bars and restaurants aren't self-reviewing? Or reviewing their competitors?

Aha! That helps me tremendously, Rick and Peg. Thanks. The only "reviews" I get are from people I have had contact with who have walked the Invierno. There's no tripadvisor-like website here where I go to find opinions. For the last couple of years, several wonderful forum members have used the guide and sent me reports and comments. In addition, I gather comments from the Invierno section of the forum. There is just no concern about self-reviews, or malicious competitors. That may come in a few years as the camino increases its traffic, but it's surely not now. Now what we have are a few pilgrims who have walked the Invierno. So long as it stays at this level, I'm inclined to leave in the opinions. Because how else would people know that the Arouza, hidden away on a side street in Quiroga is an absolutely terrific little restaurant not to be missed. In a town with a main street lined with bars, no one is likely to find it without the heads up. Or that the Torre Vilariño, though 400 m off camino, is a great stop for the night or for a meal? Anyway, I'm thinking out loud now but this comment does help. Maybe I'm at the "beating a horse to death" point now, so I'll leave it at that. When I have the version ready for review, I will be happy to take your specific comments on specific reviews in the guide. I am carefully re-reading it with all of these comments in mind, so thanks everyone. Laurie

€60,-

I appreciated the reviews when I walked and enjoyed adding mine. And I trust your judgment to edit anything that appears mean-spirited.

How about two categories: "Recommended", and the rest? The author has the privilege of deciding what is Recommended.

Oddly, I am not a person who is reluctant to express an opinion, face to face - good or bad. It's just that I recognize that there are many dynamics at work here.

Maybe an example of a negative review (name removed) would be useful for the discussion.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Here is one of an albergue I would highly recommend:

• Si de algo podemos calificar este albergue es de "peculiar": colchones incómodos, mal cerramiento en ventanas y puertas por lo que en mitad de la noche hace frío incluso en verano, ponen ropa de cama pero de muy baja calidad. Hospitaleras muy distantes con el peregrino y la manutención que ofrecen no se corresponden con el precio que cobran, pero que tienes que aceptar porque no hay nada cerca. Como cosa positiva, cuenta con un patio muy agradable. En definitiva, no recomendamos este albergue.
My view of it:
Un albergue que parece casa de muñecas, muy lindo, limpio, y con un jardín para descansar. Camas muy cómodas con sábanas y cobijas, y toalla para la ducha. Un lugar divino donde pasar la ultima noche en el Camino. La cena buena pero sin mas, porciones un poco pequeñas y sopa algo aguada - San Román y Castro especialmente ofrecen mas por el mismo precio, pero vale la pena quedarse allí.

7 of the 8 reviews about it are also very very positive.

So if this was in print (stays in the guide for a full year, or more, before a re-write is done) and printed before I went, the negative review may have had a lot of weight. If you don't have a large number of reviews you are risking not getting a very good picture, which is particularly damaging for the operator, only a nuisance to us.

And I think that is what bothers me the most: we will be just fine if the mattress is saggy, or the food was not warm enough, but a business that is avoided by a good segment of its potential clientele, can be destroyed. And for the Invierno, as St John B. has not yet written his guide, this guide may carry a lot of weight.

• Si de algo podemos calificar este albergue es de "peculiar": colchones incómodos, mal cerramiento en ventanas y puertas por lo que en mitad de la noche hace frío incluso en verano, ponen ropa de cama pero de muy baja calidad. Hospitaleras muy distantes con el peregrino y la manutención que ofrecen no se corresponden con el precio que cobran, pero que tienes que aceptar porque no hay nada cerca. Como cosa positiva, cuenta con un patio muy agradable. En definitiva, no recomendamos este albergue.
My view of it:
Un albergue que parece casa de muñecas, muy lindo, limpio, y con un jardín para descansar. Camas muy cómodas con sábanas y cobijas, y toalla para la ducha. Un lugar divino donde pasar la ultima noche en el Camino. La cena buena pero sin mas, porciones un poco pequeñas y sopa algo aguada - San Román y Castro especialmente ofrecen mas por el mismo precio, pero vale la pena quedarse allí.

So if this was in print (stays in the guide for a full year, or more, before a re-write is done) and printed before I went, the negative review may have had a lot of weight. If you don't have a large number of reviews you are risking not getting a very good picture, which is particularly damaging for the operator, only a nuisance to us.
Yes, that negative review was not very convincing, and not helpful, given that there apparently was no choice!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But it said
Exaclty, a lie. The muni is across the road, maybe 100 meters down, next dooe to the local restaurant. I understand that Laurie wiuld know how to screen "alternate facts", but still the review had me wondering if I should stay there or not. Glad I decided to chance it. I loved my bed sheets and towels in my loft for four.

I was cogitating while driving this afternoon and came up with another reason for not commenting other than for the exceptional finds, and that is that any new business that sets up shop after the guide is writen, and before it is revised, will not get airtime in favour to the ine in the guide.

And ... what about the places noone has visited, experienced, popped into? Because, and I may be wrong, I don't believe anyone has walked the Invierno with a mind to visit every shop, pension or bar, like I would asssume St John. B. does.Or maybe he doesn't systematically visit everywhere which is why he seldom comments?
I do my best to visit every bar, honestly! Actually, some places on the Invierno only have one (at the most, two), so you don't have much choice! When you get to a place like O Barco, then things change!

Opinions?

This is what I posted in another thread while I was on the Invierno last June:

I headed up to Casa Aroza for lunch. Amazing choice for the menú del día. A bottle of local wine, wonderful bread, patatas guisadas con carne, filete de ternera con patatas fritas y ensalada, fresas con nata, café y chupito de orujo. And it all set me back 10 euros! I'll be back tonight after mass to sample a couple of their massive legendary tapas. I discovered this place from peregrina2000's recommendations last year. Try it, and I guarantee you will not have a better meal on the Invierno. Apart from Mesón Lucus in Chantada perhaps.

Whew, this is a pretty exhaustive exploration and it's been very helpful. I think maybe I've given the wrong impression here about the type of review I am talking about. These are not paragraph-long descriptions. Essentially the question came up because this year a couple of pilgrims disagreed with the notation "recommended" for one bar/restaurant and one accommodation. So I am planning to change from "recommended" to "some like it, some don't." You are more than welcome to look at the draft when I get it done and react to specific comments that you think might be unfair.

And the Kellyanne Conway comment is also actually relevant to highlight something -- I'm not presenting any of this as fact, alternative or otherwise. I am presenting these comments as opinions. And I think most of us understand all of the caveats that people have pointed out as to why opinions about restaurants, hotels, cafes, etc may be sui generis and non-generalizable. I guess in the end I'm not persuaded that the type of comments I'm talking about are going to unfairly push a pilgrim away from one place and over to another.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And the Kellyanne Conway comment is also actually relevant to highlight something -- I'm not presenting any of this as fact, alternative or otherwise. I am presenting these comments as opinions.
Laurie, when I mentioned the laternate facts I was not talking about the review persay but about the fact the poster claimed there were no other options near by when there is one 100 meters down and across the street.

Whew, this is a pretty exhaustive exploration and it's been very helpful. I think maybe I've given the wrong impression here about the type of review I am talking about. These are not paragraph-long descriptions. Essentially the question came up because this year a couple of pilgrims disagreed with the notation "recommended" for one bar/restaurant and one accommodation. So I am planning to change from "recommended" to "some like it, some don't." You are more than welcome to look at the draft when I get it done and react to specific comments that you think might be unfair.

And the Kellyanne Conway comment is also actually relevant to highlight something -- I'm not presenting any of this as fact, alternative or otherwise. I am presenting these comments as opinions. And I think most of us understand all of the caveats that people have pointed out as to why opinions about restaurants, hotels, cafes, etc may be sui generis and non-generalizable. I guess in the end I'm not persuaded that the type of comments I'm talking about are going to unfairly push a pilgrim away from one place and over to another.

One man's meat is another man's poison? We will never all agree with everyone else's opinions (in this case on restaurants or accommodation), but it's surely better to have these opinions, whether positive or negative, and then make up our own minds.

Another example: I've stayed in two places in O Barco. The first time I spent the night in La Gran Tortuga, even though it had pretty critical reviews. I found it to be excellent, with new bathrooms. The second time I thought I would change, so I stopped in the Pensión do Lor, which was recommended in the guide and had good reviews. I was not so impressed, although the shower in the room was powerful.

Both places were perfectly ok to stay, but this year I will certainly go for La Gran Tortuga again.

One man's meat is another man's poison? We will never all agree with everyone else's opinions (in this case on restaurants or accommodation), but it's surely better to have these opinions, whether positive or negative, and then make up our own minds.

Another example: I've stayed in two places in O Barco. The first time I spent the night in La Gran Tortuga, even though it had pretty critical reviews. I found it to be excellent, with new bathrooms. The second time I thought I would change, so I stopped in the Pensión do Lor, which was recommended in the guide and had good reviews. I was not so impressed, although the shower in the room was powerful.

Both places were perfectly ok to stay, but this year I will certainly go for La Gran Tortuga again.

And you know what I think, Charrito? I'm virtually certain that the negative reviews from Gran Tortuga came from a pre-renovation year. I stayed there in 2010, it was basic but nothing terrible. Then the next time I came through it was closed. Now it seems to be open again and with great reviews.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And you know what I think, Charrito? I'm virtually certain that the negative reviews from Gran Tortuga came from a pre-renovation year. I stayed there in 2010, it was basic but nothing terrible. Then the next time I came through it was closed. Now it seems to be open again and with great reviews.
Oh, it's definitely open and renovated:

http://lagrantortuga.com/index.html#hostal

The bar is also open again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

My view of it:

And I think that is what bothers me the most: we will be just fine if the mattress is saggy, or the food was not warm enough, but a business that is avoided by a good segment of its potential clientele, can be destroyed. And for the Invierno, as St John B. has not yet written his guide, this guide may carry a lot of weight.

Put that review in the guide and many in the largely English-speaking readership wouldn't understand it.

Put that review in the guide and many in the largely English-speaking readership wouldn't understand it.
But Laurie and C. Clearly understand it, and they are the ones interested in an example of contradicting reviews. Just call it an opportunity to practice your Castellano before heading out.

And may I say, if the readership of this guide is mainly English Speaking it's only because the guide is in English. If it was in Castellano. I am willing to bet the vast majority of the readership would be Castallano speaking. Just look at the stats: who walks the Caminos the most? Spaniards.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But Laurie and C. Clearly understand it, and they are the ones interested in an example of contradicting reviews. Just call it an opportunity to practice your Castellano before heading out.

Thanks @anemone. My underlying point was that the thread had been conducted in English up to this point + as someone who has followed the discussion with great interest I guess I felt frustrated to be suddenly excluded from it. That's all !

My request for all who have weighed in here -- please volunteer to review the draft of the 2017 guide! I hope to have it ready in the next day or two. And I have to say, as I go through this day by day, it REALLY makes me want to go back. The Invierno is a superb, absolutely superb, camino!

My request for all who have weighed in here -- please volunteer to review the draft of the 2017 guide! I hope to have it ready in the next day or two. And I have to say, as I go through this day by day, it REALLY makes me want to go back. The Invierno is a superb, absolutely superb, camino!
Send it along. This time having a place to print it rather than just on my IPad will make it much easier.

I volunteer to review the draft. Maybe I'll volunteer to check it on the ground too!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much, guys. It really helps to have input from people who have walked the Invierno as well as from people who have not walked so we can see where the uninitiated might not understand what seems perfectly clear to what we have written based on our familiarity with the route. I expect that I will have it ready by the end of the week or early next week. Stay tuned... :)

I volunteer to review the draft. Maybe I'll volunteer to check it on the ground too!
I would be more than happy to make a living from checking facts of different Caminos on ground :D:D:D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just want to say "Thank You" Laurie, for your exhaustive and extraordinary efforts in producing this and your other Camino guides. You spend countless hours researching, writing, reviewing, and updating these guides all for the the benefit of others, others like me who probably wouldn't ever attempt to walk some of these lesser known routes without having your Guide in hand. It's reassuring to have the benefit of someone who you know and trust's first-hand experiences to make the way seem doable to someone like me. Muy muy gracias!!

Well, that's it then. And now for the easier part - finding a sponsor ;)
Right, we need to open a new thread first and see who comes up with our drinking money, oops, I mean the sponsorship for checking things 'sobre la marcha'!!!!!!!

Ivar should be the first to come forward!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just want to say "Thank You" Laurie, for your exhaustive and extraordinary efforts in producing this and your other Camino guides. You spend countless hours researching, writing, reviewing, and updating these guides all for the the benefit of others, others like me who probably wouldn't ever attempt to walk some of these lesser known routes without having your Guide in hand. It's reassuring to have the benefit of someone who you know and trust's first-hand experiences to make the way seem doable to someone like me. Muy muy gracias!!

Thanks very much, Ali, but as I'm sure you know, volunteering your time on something you love provides more benefits for the volunteer than those who make use of the results. I would, however, be glad to supervise Charrito and Kinky in their bar crawl through the Invierno. :D

Thanks very much, Ali, but as I'm sure you know, volunteering your time on something you love provides more benefits for the volunteer than those who make use of the results. I would, however, be glad to supervise Charrito and Kinky in their bar crawl through the Invierno. :D
Camino de Invierno 2015 051.JPG Camino de Invierno 2015 265.JPG Camino de Invierno 2015 316.JPG Camino de Invierno 2015 240.JPG
Are you sure, Laurie?

Just an idea of what you would be in for! Taken from my 2015 Camino de Invierno. Plenty of choice there!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
View attachment 31395 View attachment 31396 View attachment 31397 View attachment 31398
Are you sure, Laurie?

Just an idea of what you would be in for! Taken from my 2015 Camino de Invierno. Plenty of choice there!
Well, Charrito I don't know if the photos will do. I had the chance to go for a drink with Laurie twice last year. But still she didn't see me in my best :D
What about that sponsor, Laurie? Supervision is of no question, I know we both would be glad to have you with us. Even if it had to be on-line!!! ;)

Well, Charrito I don't know if the photos will do. I had the chance to go for a drink with Laurie twice last year. But still she didn't see me in my best :D
What about that sponsor, Laurie? Supervision is of no question, I know we both would be glad to have you with us. Even if it had to be on-line!!! ;)
Seriously, guys (and gals!), we have to get together for an Invierno meet-up. I have the advantage that Ponferrada is only a couple of hours' drive away from where I live in Salamanca, so whenever anybody is around the area it would be perfect for me.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back