• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to use the Camino Forum App

ivar

Administrator
Staff member

I have created this short video briefly introducing the new forum app. As I say, this is a very different (and some may not like it) way of looking at the forum content.. but some people might want to use the app in parallel with the website. I think the app might be easier to use while on the Camino.

The app is free and can be downloaded here:
iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/camino-forum/id6444295396?platform=iphone

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.caminodesantiago.community.app.android&gl=ES

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I have created this short video briefly introducing the new forum app. As I say, this is a very different (and some may not like it) way of looking at the forum content.. but some people might want to use the app in parallel with the website. I think the app might be easier to use while on the Camino.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.caminodesantiago.community.app.android&gl=ES
Thanks. Why does it ask for credit card details when its free please

Thanks. Why does it ask for credit card details when its free please
It should not ask for any card at all... could you take a screenshoot so I can see?

There is an option to become a donating member in the app (as there is here on the forum website), but you need to tap in the settings to get to that...

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I tried the app but I wasn't seeing the advantages over how I had already been accessing the forums on my phone which I had got used to, so I went back to that. It wasn't bad or broken, but there wasn't fabulous new functionality to make me learn a new interface. Or if there was, I missed it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Ivar, I'm walking through the app while watching your "how-to"video. Yes, it's a different interface but I really like how the information is organized, especially from the perspective of someone walking a camino while using the app. Thank you very much for creating this additional path to the forum! Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've tried it twice and found that the web version works better for me. I'll explore it more later. I did notice that the app is better for some things like finding the rules and sub-forums. Could you tweak the app to print out the corresponding webpage's URL? A cut of a URL on an easily found page on the app could be pasted in a post to answer questions.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just download the Forum App I'm wondering why i have to give my Cedit Card details to gain access?
Thank you

Just download the Forum App I'm wondering why i have to give my Cedit Card details to gain access?
Thank you
You do not. If you are not already a subscriber you will see loads of adverts, any one of which would welcome your credit card number.

The forum does not require any payment, but I’m certain that Ivar would welcome one. The price of pickled herring must have gone up recently.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you

I didn't have to. Here's what @ivar already said about this.

It should not ask for any card at all... could you take a screenshoot so I can see?

There is an option to become a donating member in the app (as there is here on the forum website), but you need to tap in the settings to get to that...

And maybe another explanation

Ooops sorry, my bad. Its a sneaky google add.

Downloaded it. Will play with it on the Camino. At home, I go for the Web version (for now, or...)

But thank you for all you do, Ivar.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi Ivar thanks for your reply ! All good now! Up and running

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

great, giing it a try. i dont see the booking icon however.

That sneaky Google ad (that pops up and takes you elsewhere) is almost as bad as a scam. Apart from that, I like it. But beware of the "scam", people!

There is definitely a Booking icon at the bottom of the page.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That sneaky Google ad (that pops up and takes you elsewhere) is almost as bad as a scam. Apart from that, I like it. But beware of the "scam", people!

There is a ‘booking’ icon at the bottom of the page which is fine by me! I only access by phone so an app is a major plus for me. I note that any new software, or any new release, tends to make many (including me!) say’not as good as old versions’, but after a few weeks of use opinions tend to change!

Thank you for your hard work, Ivar!

I installed the app. But when I tried to log in on my iPad the keyboard wouldn’t pop up allowing me to key userid and password. Haven’t tried my iPhone yet.

I see no booking icon/link at the bottom of my screen on the app. See the attached screenshot. I have seen the link on a screenshot from another member, so I know it exists for some people. I wonder if it disappears for Donating Members, just as ads disappear on the forum viewed from a browser.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126-053218_Camino Forum.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126-053218_Camino Forum.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 15
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think the push notifications on the app will be really handy for those walking the Camino who have a posted a question relating to their specific location and/or time (and their eagerly awaiting a response). The notifications will avoid walkers from having to login and refresh their browser. As mentioned above it’s just another option but choice is always nice. Thanks, Ivar 👍

I installed the app. But when I tried to log in on my iPad the keyboard wouldn’t pop up allowing me to key userid and password. Haven’t tried my iPhone yet.
If you are already logged in to the forum in the browser on the iPad... you don't need to type anything (not sure why the keyboard is not coming up).... then you just tap "Authorize" and you are logged into the app with the user you are logged into in the browser...

I see no booking icon/link at the bottom of my screen on the app. See the attached screenshot. I have seen the link on a screenshot from another member, so I know it exists for some people. I wonder if it disappears for Donating Members, just as ads disappear on the forum viewed from a browser.
I know there is an update pending for the android version, it might be added there ..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is great - thanks Ivar for all your work on this. 😊

But beware of the "scam", people!

I think that’s a bit of an overstatement. The app has ads, just like the forum does. I don’t see any ads on either, so it must be correlated to your member status as donating or not.

But about that booking icon — my understanding is that if you use booking through the forum or through an app like Wise Pilgrim, the owners of those sites gets a cut of booking’s cut. I don’t think it increases the money that the owner of the albergue/hotel has to pay, so in my mind, it is always preferable to use booking through one of those two places to help spread the wealth a little! (I think I have this right but others may correct me). Same for Gronze.com.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I called the ad a "scam" because it appears so quickly at the beginning of the app, at a time when you are just investigating something new. It seems to have confused other people, who are led to believe they need to pay for the app. Of course, I understand that advertising funds this forum. I often find it useful.

Regarding Booking.com: I use Gronze and Wise Pilgrim to see if a particular establishment is on Booking or not. If it is, I prefer to go to my own Booking app since my name and details are already available there and I don't have to type them in again.

Regarding Booking.com: I use Gronze and Wise Pilgrim to see if a particular establishment is on Booking or not. If it is, I prefer to go to my own Booking app since my name and details are already available there and I don't have to type them in again.
If you are on a computer when you click on a link on Gronze or WisePilgrim it will take you right to your account. On a phone I think that it takes you to the website rather than the app, but I noticed that in the menu on my Firefox mobile browser I had the option of opening it in the app.

Ivar, it asked for my credit card details and I was billed for £1.00, as a result of which my credit card was blocked as it was deemed a suspicious transaction, I have now sorted this but the £1.00 has been made to WAN-SUM.co Who are these people, are they acting on your behalf setting up the Apt, or is this a fraud. It is a bit concerning as you indicated the Apt is free. I now have the Apt.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ivar, it asked for my credit card details and I was billed for £1.00, as a result of which my credit card was blocked as it was deemed a suspicious transaction, I have now sorted this but the £1.00 has been made to WAN-SUM.co Who are these people, are they acting on your behalf setting up the Apt, or is this a fraud. It is a bit concerning as you indicated the Apt is free. I now have the Apt.
Hi there,

That charge is not from me… I would ask you bank to return that charge. My app is free and does not cost anything.

No idea why you were asked to pay this.

So sorry!

Hi there,

That charge is not from me… I would ask you bank to return that charge. My app is free and does not cost anything.

No idea why you were asked to pay this.

So sorry!
Thank you Ivar, I have done that, the £1.00 will be refunded to my account. , unfortunately the card is now completely blocked and a new card is being sent to me. Is this request for credit card details and payment of £1.00 when down loading the Apt, something you need to look into and sort.

Thank you Ivar, I have done that, the £1.00 will be refunded to my account. , unfortunately the card is now completely blocked and a new card is being sent to me. Is this request for credit card details and payment of £1.00 when down loading the Apt, something you need to look into and sort.
Did you see the same display on your screen as the one mentioned in post #5 and did you click on "Start"?

I remember having seen this recently popping up on my screen but I don't remember where and when, and I did not pay any attention to it. It is a scam and not related to this forum or the app. I've googled for "wan-sum.co" and found a few reports from users about this scam. For example, what happened to you happened to a person who had googled for the widely-known Zoom app which is also free of charge, and he made the same mistake and € 1,95 for a useless monthly subscription for non-specific "technical support" was charged to his credit card, see here https://www.signal-arnaques.com/scam/view/580566 (in French).

When you download an app you must always make sure that you download it directly from the Google or Apple App Store, or (rarely) directly from the developer's website!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is not related to the app at all.. it may be related to something else you have installed.

I didn't view the picture in #5 until @Kathar1na last post. This is a sneaky scam, an ad disguised as a message to initialize an app. Notice how generic it is. This can be placed into any app to scam people.

If I remember correctly how Google Play works, if you have to pay for a new app the payment goes through before the download happens.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Scams are rife on the internet at the moment. Please take care with all your transactions! We are all in the habit of working too quickly and clicking through sites without thinking. (I have recently been taken in by ordering a slimming product!) After some effort, it is possible to get a refund from your credit card company - but the cancellation of your card is a real nuisance as you have to wait for a new one to arrive. If this happens when you are away from home, maybe on the Camino, it could absolutely ruin your holiday.

Scams are rife on the internet at the moment. Please take care with all your transactions! We are all in the habit of working too quickly and clicking through sites without thinking. (I have recently been taken in by ordering a slimming product!) After some effort, it is possible to get a refund from your credit card company - but the cancellation of your card is a real nuisance as you have to wait for a new one to arrive. If this happens when you are away from home, maybe on the Camino, it could absolutely ruin your holiday.
Yes and it is only going to get more sophisticated as we move forward. Easy to be wise after the event of course but ads generally have a different font and colour palette than the host site. We are so used to clicking on links we almost do it without thinking. If you are considering clicking on a link for anything pause for a few minutes at least and consider whether you click it or not. The app is of course genuine but ‘mal ads’ can appear pretty much anywhere!

Ironically we have a thread elsewhere about giving over personal details, but clicking on a link you could be doing that and more!!

For those in Europe, my bank (N26) gives me a virtual card I can use for online transactions. I have a completely separate physical card with a different number to use at ATMs and in shops. If there is a problem with the virtual card it is instantly replaced with a new number that you can use straight away online. In theory you shouldn't use your physical card online at all (though you can if you want).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A virtual card sounds interesting. I will check if my bank (Westpac) offers such a thing.

If you are on a computer when you click on a link on Gronze or WisePilgrim it will take you right to your account. On a phone I think that it takes you to the website rather than the app, but I noticed that in the menu on my Firefox mobile browser I had the option of opening it in the app.
Correct. If you have the booking app on your device, the booking link (at least in the app) should take you to the correct location in the booking app... where you can keep track of your bookings.

fantastic development, thanks for your hard work in making this possible Ivor

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.