• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How well is The Norte marked?

Jbirk

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, SJPP to Finesterre April (2018)
Via Francigena Sept (2018)
Del Norte Aug (2019)
My wife and I are starting in Irún in mid August this year and I was wondering how well the path is marked. We have done the CF which is hard to get lost. We also did 1/2 of the Via Francegina and had to use GPS a couple of time to stay on course.
I would rather not turn on the phone this time around.
Thanks in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got hopelessly lost and it took me 2 days to get to Passia. It was early may last year and there were no other walkers to be seen. I am not sure why I got so lost, I agree the French Way is comfortably marked. I have no suggestions and await others' reponses

We did part of the norte from Irun to Santander last month. All of my research was filled with "the route is well marked". Well that was not our experience. Most days we encountered places where the arrows peterred out, and more than a few where you were confronted with arrows pointing different directions.

Because the route is between the mountains and the sea, you can't go really wrong, and there are so many roads that are well marked to help you get reoriented, it never became a serious issue. Nevertheless, I used Google maps pretty much every day to keep us on track. I suggest that you have access to a GPS, or study the route map very carefully each night.

As a final comment, there are lots of choices on the Norte. My impression is that it would almost be possible to get from stage to stage without ever being on the official route.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In fact, the Norte is well-marked throughout its entire length, The difficulty arises because there are many alternative routes that have developed, often to get you off the pavement and closer to the sea, especially where the Norte runs near the coast. These alternatives are less well-marked, and I suspect that was Brian’s problem, above. If you want to avoid using your phone, the Wise Pilgrim printed guide does show the alternatives. But frankly, I’d have some kind of gps backup, as Rick M suggests. The Wise Pilgrim app has a gps. map that you can use on your phone without data. A maps-only version of the Wise Pilgrim guide, Wisely: Camino Forum Places, is available for free on this forum.

Last edited:
Maybe because it was my first Camino, but I enjoyed it the most so far. It isn’t Dorothy’s Yellow Brick Road, but it’s close. Markings embedded in the sidewalks, on the back of road signs, and on service poles are easier to see than the ones low on a wall, covered by underbrush. But El Norte is conveniently located between the mountains and the sea, so temporary confusion solves itself heading West.
“Not all who wander are lost.”D1F5BC16-EA72-4D43-8177-ACE31A583A46.jpegFE24FC7B-F25E-411F-9A8E-AD5AF4EBBF16.jpeg

It's certainly not as well marked as the CF and you will need to look out for signs, but I found it manageable.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I went wrong twice. But it was one of those when you kind of know you're wrong anyway. I think I pay less attention now I have gps backup. Lazy pilgrim. Shame on me!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would have done some pretty uncomfortable extra kms up and down hills without using the downloaded maps from Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps whilst keeping my phone on airplane mode. Yes the arrows are there but if you are walking alone head bent trudging up a hill the little side path can be easy to miss even though marked, Funny how you get a sense of going wrong though, that’s when you stop and check that precious blue gps dot.

I walked the Norte in July 2017 without a guidebook, GPS or maps and didn't find it difficult to follow. Like other people have said, the problems start with the enormous amount of alternatives along the way. It is a pity that the original Camino del Norte has quite a lot of totally unnecessary asphalt. Especially because the coastal alternatives are stunning.

I concur with @Luka and found the signage excellent. Have never used a guide, GPS or app while walking. What I do do is screenshot the maps found on www.gronze.com so as to give me info about distances between towns and more importantly to know when my next café con leche stop will be ;)

There are indeed many coastal alternatives but if you see E9 take it! And don't worry, you never stay far from the Camino and are awarded spectacular views!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am on the Camino Norte right now (i think today is day 12?!? I’ve lost count) and without a gps - i have had a few problems here and there but overall ok. The alternative routes aren’t always marked but if the ocean is on your right and the sun is behind you - you’re okay! :)

You will do just fine.

It was our first Camino in 2016 so no comparables. Seemed well marked had Buen Camino as backup with downloaded map.

Once missed a turn and had to backtrack a bit but if I recall we were distracted that day and perhaps not poor markings.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Norte and Primitivo in 2017. Both are well marked but there are some stretches that were iffy. You have to pay attention all the time, without exception, in other words, hawkeyes. Sometimes the yellow arrow was painted on the edge of curbsides and the road dirt would make them difficult to spot. Other times, especially at any of the beach side cities or towns, the yellow arrow was covered with some sand when it was on sidewalks, and when posted on surfaces where the sea air was especially corrosive they were hard to spot. If you haven't seen one after a couple of hours, backtrack or use your phone GPS if you think you can take a shortcut to get back on the trail. Carry a small battery pack that will re juice your phone at least twice and you'll be fine. I got lost a couple of times but didn't panic because I did exactly what I just suggested and everything worked out fine. Carry a little extra food for those few hours you'll spend getting back on track. Getting lost makes the journey a bit more adventurous.
My wife and I are starting in Irún in mid August this year and I was wondering how well the path is marked. We have done the CF which is hard to get lost. We also did 1/2 of the Via Francegina and had to use GPS a couple of time to stay on course.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
My wife and I are starting in Irún in mid August this year and I was wondering how well the path is marked. We have done the CF which is hard to get lost. We also did 1/2 of the Via Francegina an.d had to use GPS a couple of time to stay on course.
Thanks in advance
I walked The Norte the last year. I didn't appreciated it just because of the lack of a definite way. So, a lot of days, the pilgrims were walking along different ways to reach the step destination. Norte way is different from French and Primitivo (more touristic, in my personal experience).

Walked the Norte in 2016. It very well marked. Being a bit, ok a lot, oldschool, I walk with just a guide book, no GPS.or smartphone. The cities are always a problem not so well marked, (Frances is the same) my solution was to visit the tourist office.and they are more than happy to map out the route out of town (to me the hardest part).
Another approach is to stand on somewhat busy corner, open your guide book or map an look lost, some will approach you and offer instructions within minutes. To me this is the attraction of tha Caminos, the Spanish are a welcoming and hospitable people and make one feel honored to be there.
There are a few places where the markers are a bit far apart. Personally, this brings on a case of paranoia (again no GPS)"did I miss a turn, ..." but it always.worked out.
Hope you have a good wall
Jim Michie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Norte in July 2017 without a guidebook, GPS or maps and didn't find it difficult to follow. Like other people have said, the problems start with the enormous amount of alternatives along the way. It is a pity that the original Camino del Norte has quite a lot of totally unnecessary asphalt. Especially because the coastal alternatives are stunning.
Any favorite stretch of road;

Thanks in advance
I found it primarily well marked August 2018. Went as far as Oviedo on the Norte. Lost Twice very briefly on the Primitivo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me it was the first time so it was all marvelous. If I had to choose a portion I would say the coast around llanes, Comillas, Santillana Del Mar. a slightly alternate route goes right along the ocean edge there and there are some interesting features. Also San Juan Pasajes was a lovely place to stay in an old church.

Thanks in advance
The route is not consistently marked; I wouldn't rely on trail markers to navigate. Use your phone with a map app and KML of the trail. It will work with the phone in airplane mode (and no wifi or cell), which uses very little power. I had no problem navigating the Norte to Primitivo to Santiago.

I found some cities didnot have yellow arrows, but blue arrows on street/lamposts

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The route is not consistently marked; I wouldn't rely on trail markers to navigate. Use your phone with a map app and KML of the trail. It will work with the phone in airplane mode (and no wifi or cell), which uses very little power. I had no problem navigating the Norte to Primitivo to Santiago.
It helps to download the maps for the route you are doing. This can be done on the wise pilgrim app Camino Places.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks in advance
Unfortunately my hard copy of del Norte guide book was left behind. Fortunately I have the Wisely Camino Places app. I’m on del Norte now and it is tough. Having done the Frances, I wish I was on the Frances now. Don’t get me wrong, del Norte is beautiful but long stages. Grueling mountain after mountain after mountain. A lot of road walking. And sometimes marking is not so good. I heavenly rely on the Wise Pilgrim app making sure my blue dot is on the Camino. There have been times I was off. I am walking solo, there are some places I’ve kept my senses on high alert. Never experienced that on the Frances. There are no stops for cafe con leche not after two hours or four hours or six hours. This is a no joke, hard Camino. Now without my hard cover guide I find it so difficult to know where I can stop, cut the stages shorter if possible. Good luck and Buen Camino. 😎👣

Keep your head up and watch for marks. We just finished the Norte last month and found the marks adequate, however, I agree that it's much harder than the Francis, and not as much fun. Burn Camino.

Unfortunately my hard copy of del Norte guide book was left behind. Fortunately I have the Wisely Camino Places app. I’m on del Norte now and it is tough. Having done the Frances, I wish I was on the Frances now. Don’t get me wrong, del Norte is beautiful but long stages. Grueling mountain after mountain after mountain. A lot of road walking. And sometimes marking is not so good. I heavenly rely on the Wise Pilgrim app making sure my blue dot is on the Camino. There have been times I was off. I am walking solo, there are some places I’ve kept my senses on high alert. Never experienced that on the Frances. There are no stops for cafe con leche not after two hours or four hours or six hours. This is a no joke, hard Camino. Now without my hard cover guide I find it so difficult to know where I can stop, cut the stages shorter if possible. Good luck and Buen Camino. 😎👣
Thank you for your insight. It sounds a lot like the Via Francegina.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks in advance
In some places, it's well-marked. In others, forget it. I used my phone GPS-and downloaded KMLs-often to stay on course.

I just didn’t find it that hard stage wise. I found plenty of coffee stops. And yes it was mountain after mountain, stunning view after stunning view, but that is why I chose that particular route! 😁

I walked the Norte from May 1st, with my 50 day Camino ending in June.

It's very well waymarked, and I don't think it should pose any problem at all, I'm actually a little suprised that there are a few people commenting on the waymarking being difficult in places. That certainly wasn't my experience just over a month ago.

In one or two stages, there are interesting alternative paths. The hospitalero gave advice on some of these.

The worst case of getting lost, was when I did use an app, and the Camino Places app took me off a recognised path and onto a more challenging one.

Out on the open road, the waymarking is excellent. A little harder to follow in the cities of course, and that is perhaps the only time it might be worth using an app for IMHO

Luka- are the coastal routes always high-risk cliff areas?!?

No, the only high-risk cliff area I know of is the one on the way to Laredo. It's not an official Camino route, and it doesn't show on my Buen Camino app.
Thanks so much- I read some scary things here and was thinking oh no... *not the best with heights*

And you really have to search out that particular path. I was with a group of 6 who attempted it, and despite having instructions from this forum, we had a hard time finding it. Two of us turned back, and walked the safer way, and the four that did make the "riskier" way came back scratched up from bushes that they had to walk through on their way to find the trail.

One dangerous alternative route we found that hasn’t been mentioned here—
First day out of Irun, we took the high route over Mt. Jazkibel, very enjoyable, no problem. A bit further on, this upper route joins the lower route and then comes to a road going towards Pasaia. Across the road are red and white markings for a GR route alternative. Two people we met there encouraged us to take the GR alternative — breathtaking, they said. We found it VERY dangerous, with a sheer drop to our left and high rocks to our right, a very narrow and rocky trail, no sea views at all. In some places we had to hold onto cables bolted to the rocks. We emerged far above the lighthouse above Pasaia.

This alternative may be fine for the young and lithe, but as older folks carrying our full packs, we were pretty shaken up by the experience. Not recommended.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back