Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Well Marked?

johnBCCanada

Hello

I've done the Camino France and was very impressed at how well marked the way was. I am wonderign how well marked the way is on the Camino Primitivo?

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi John,
Probably not as well marked as the Frances but more than adequate! The only time I went astray last year was when I missed a mojon by having my head down in the rain near San Roman de Retorta. The same happened this year to Valerie and myself near Sta Eulalia de Tineo. There will be more walking on by-roads than on the Frances but the tracks over the hills will more than make up for any pavamiento! Enjoy!

Blessings on your walking
Terry

Thanks Terry,

that is good to know. I would much rather walk with a good eye open for what is around me and the next marking than with my eye, and head, stuck in a guidebook.

John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
johnBCCanada said:
Hello

I've done the Camino France and was very impressed at how well marked the way was. I am wonderign how well marked the way is on the Camino Primitivo?

John

Hi John,

I was working in marking the Camino Primitivo, in the Galician side, three years ago. Arrows has to be repainted every "x" years, because the bad weather, etc. But, all people who is walking it during the last months says is quite well marked. But, with just one - two marks in every point, not five or six like in the Camino Frances.

Buen Camino, enjoy it.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

hi,
I just came back, walked the primitivo 1-18th of may. Marking is very good I thought. Only a few times I made a mistake with the direction of the shell...

There is an alternative route, from Lugo the traditional route is going to San Roman and Melide. I walked the alternative Lugo-Friol-Sobrado to avoid the Frances a bit longer. Markings are very old. You really need a description of the route (the hospitalero in Lugo has got it). I used the desciption in the german book "outdoor". The first day was good but on the second day I got kind of lost. Other people though said they had no trouble :-D

Cathelijne said:
hi,
I just came back, walked the primitivo 1-18th of may. Marking is very good I thought. Only a few times I made a mistake with the direction of the shell...

There is an alternative route, from Lugo the traditional route is going to San Roman and Melide. I walked the alternative Lugo-Friol-Sobrado to avoid the Frances a bit longer. Markings are very old. You really need a description of the route (the hospitalero in Lugo has got it). I used the desciption in the german book "outdoor". The first day was good but on the second day I got kind of lost. Other people though said they had no trouble :-D

It's true, shells don't help you to avoid mistakes because it are set in a different direction in Asturias than in Galicia ...

And, it's true, in Lugo ask Jose Antonio, the hospitalero, he always tries to help you to find the option you choose: Palas de Rei, Melide or the one you choosed, Friol.

Buen Camino Primitivo!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@ Cathelijne :

Me too, I took that alternative road; me too, following the German 'outdoor' book...

I got lost in the woods after Albeiro - but already in Albeiro, there were no more arrows; and we (me and some others pilgrims who decided to follow 'the German book') just went on reading the descriptions. Leaving the woods, it led us to an overview of a quite beautiful plaine (with far away on the right some houses)...

Ever since, trying to find out, where was the mistake... but I guess, I should just forget about it (or restart that way another time...)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.