• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How/what to do for Santiago-Madrid airport (in late-October)

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
Hello,

Y'all helped me figure out how to do my first days arriving in Madrid,

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to do the return.

Question(s):
Where to stay in Madrid?

Thanks for your thoughts!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Taxi from Madrid hotels to airport is a flat rate of 30 euros. There is also a 24/7 express bus (yellow bus) from Atocha station if you stay somewhere down there (6 euros). We found the airport shuttles at our hotels didn't run early enough so sometimes had to take a cab anyway.

We always stay at a Marriott property on Marriott points so I don't know if that will help you much. Have stayed at the Coslada AC near the airport with a shuttle and also the Marriott Convention Center hotel (with shuttle). There's a good Basque restaurant behind the Convention hotel. Downtown we stay at the AC Atocha. It's close to the Botanical Garden and the three big art museums. Also restaurants, shops, and the train station.

I go to Madrid quite a lot and its a great city. If I only have a short time there (maybe I am flying from London to Madrid and then catching a flight to say South America later that night or early next day), I often stay in the closest town to the Airport, Barajas (after which the airport is named). It is nothing spectacular but it has quite a few accommodation options and some nice restaurants and a nice relaxed feel. Its doesn't feel like an 'airport town' with big chain hotels and car hire. In fact you would never know an airport is next door. Its one stop on the metro, and 5-10 mins walk to centre, so if you want an easy option that may be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi. I recently came back to Madrid after walking from Leon to Oviedo. The Central House Lavapies in Madrid was amazing with bar and restaurant. Double bunk beds available with curtains, USB/ power outlets etc. Extremely clean and very reasonably priced. I splashed out on a taxi to the airport but there is a metro line nearby. 30 flat rate to airport in taxi. Daniel

The train from SdC to Madrid is a good option. It lands you at the Chamartin station. From there to the airport is a quick ride on a commuter rail line. As you mentioned many of the accommodations near the airport have shuttles that will pick you up and deliver you to the airport. Barajas is closer to the airport.

I stayed at Hostal Viky in Barajas. (Clean, comfortable, free shuttle ~ Eu 70). There is not much to do in Barajas but there are several good restaurants. I found an excellent Indian restaurant which was a nice change from the pork and potatoes pilgrim meals on the Camino.

I planned my trip (in June) so I could have a CoVid test at the airport the afternoon I arrived. I don't know it testing before flights is still required.

On prior Caminos I've stayed in the city. The hotels are more expensive, as is the taxi to the airport, although there are direct buses to the airport as well.

If you decide to stay in the city you can use the public bike rental system to get around to wherever you want to go. It's cheap and there are lots of places to pick up/drop off an electric-assist bike. (You will need to download an app to use the system).

I guess the choice depends on your post-Camino energy level. If you want to read and rest, I'd pick Barajas for the night. If you're still wanting to see the sights, Madrid is great.

In Madrid, you might check out the Hostal Toc on Booking.com. Nice modern bunk room accommodation for ~ Eu 30 as I remember.

Last edited:
I go to Madrid quite a lot and its a great city. If I only have a short time there (maybe I am flying from London to Madrid and then catching a flight to say South America later that night or early next day), I often stay in the closest town to the Airport, Barajas (after which the airport is named). It is nothing spectacular but it has quite a few accommodation options and some nice restaurants and a nice relaxed feel. Its doesn't feel like an 'airport town' with big chain hotels and car hire. In fact you would never know an airport is next door. Its one stop on the metro, and 5-10 mins walk to centre, so if you want an easy option that may be it.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any recommended hotels/lodging you have liked?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You’ve gotten some very good advice, @Embee12. I once stayed in a so-called airport hotel near Barajas for a variety of reasons, and I swore I would never do it again. Unless you expect to go to your room, shut the door, and sleep, the other two options are so much better IMHO. All the big chain hotels have a place with a shuttle, but it really doesn’t add much in the way of convenience because Madrid has some of the best transportation you could imagine. And these places are really in a pretty dismal location. As I said, though, if you think you will just get to the hotel and sleep, then wake up and go to the airport, it may be the best option.

I like @TravellingMan2022 ’s recommendation of Barajas pueblo (other forum members have stayed there, I remember the Viky hostal as a recommended place).

But if you have the time and the energy, and if you are going to get into Madrid early enough to enjoy it, I’d take the Cercanías to Sol or Atocha (LOTS of places to sleep in all price range nearby) and spend the afternoon/evening just walking around, sitting in a café, going to a museum, going to the fabulous Retiro park, going to the top of the Cibeles building for a spectacular view over Madrid, etc etc. Getting back to the airport from either Sol or Atocha is quick and easy. If you don’t want to spend 30€ on a cab, the Cercanías will get you there in about 1/2 hour and people say the bus from Atocha straight to the airport is a great option also. Getting to the airport by 8 am is easy, everything is up and running in Madrid by 7, and that is PLENTY of time.

Let us know what you choose! Buen camino, Laurie

I’ve stayed at the Hotel Vicky and really liked it. Clean, comfortable beds, close to a number of good restaurants and a shuttle to the airport. If you want to go into The city … metro is close.

Madrid is a great city with so much to enjoy. By all means get yourself to the center. At Sol there are many accommodations in all price ranges. Search google near Sol. In the fall I have found single private rooms with bath for less than $30 pre-COVID. As Laurie said above, take Cercanías at Sol (person at automated ticket machine to help you) to Chamartin and there connect to T4 less than 30 minutes. Worth a night in Madrid!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We just returned from MAD on Friday, Sept 2, and the 3-bedroom apartment was on Carlos Arniches Centro, a couple blocks from Metro La Latina and all the restaurants and shops in old town. We booked an Uber rode for our 3AM pick-up and it cost 22 Euro plus tip. The driver showed up 10 mins early and we got to airport by 310AM. It was a mess at Air France check-in but since we had no luggage we were able to use the console to get our tickets and breezed through security.

I think you’ll have to play it by ear. Madrid is an interesting city for a couple days, but by the time I was done with my Camino the last thing I wanted to do was be a tourist. I had seen way too many new and interesting places, ha! And I enjoyed myself more in the smaller cities which were less frantic.

Madrid is a great city with so much to enjoy. By all means get yourself to the center. At Sol there are many accommodations in all price ranges. Search google near Sol. In the fall I have found single private rooms with bath for less than $30 pre-COVID. As Laurie said above, take Cercanías at Sol (person at automated ticket machine to help you) to Chamartin and there connect to T4 less than 30 minutes. Worth a night in Madrid!
@El Cascayal I will be taking a Renfe train (I think) from Santiago - it gives me different Madrid options for where to - I believe the main one does go to Chamartin? So I would then take Cercanias (which is the subway system?) into Sol (Madrid center) and spend the night? And then the next morning take Cercanias (or a taxi) back to Chamartin, connect with T4, for my flight? Sorry - all of this is confusing to me having never been there before. Thanks.

I think you’ll have to play it by ear. Madrid is an interesting city for a couple days, but by the time I was done with my Camino the last thing I wanted to do was be a tourist. I had seen way too many new and interesting places, ha! And I enjoyed myself more in the smaller cities which were less frantic.
@Stephan the Painter I was realizing that, too. I won't know until I know much much more about how I feel. Which I won't know until I'm there with some miles under my belt (my feet). Is it still "playing it by ear" if I'm making a plan of how I'm going to play it by ear? ;) (The desire to know in order to quell the anxiety of the future is mighty!)

Also: anyone who's reading this: Is there some inherent preference over taking the train vs. a flight from SdC to Madrid? I assumed I'd take the train bc I so love train travel, it calms me, and don't much love flying (which does not calm me, plus I will be flying to California the following morning). But a flight is half the price and the time.

@El Cascayal I will be taking a Renfe train (I think) from Santiago - it gives me different Madrid options for where to - I believe the main one does go to Chamartin? So I would then take Cercanias (which is the subway system?) into Sol (Madrid center) and spend the night? And then the next morning take Cercanias (or a taxi) back to Chamartin, connect with T4, for my flight? Sorry - all of this is confusing to me having never been there before. Thanks.
When you have a RENFE ticket into or out of Madrid you also have a free Cercanías ticket.
Madrid has 2 underground transportation systems the Metro local subway and Cercanías which is a subsidiary of RENFE.
Here is a 2022 map of Cercanías. From Chamartin there is one stop at Nuevos Ministerios prior to reaching Sol. You can look up Metro Madrid for the local subway.
To go to the airport from Chamartin there are 2 lines C1 or C10 approximately 15 minutes to T4.
Once you are there you will see it is fast and easy.
Aymarah

Attachments

• FD4DCC83-54C2-4845-88E9-473EE1AB1D02.jpeg
    FD4DCC83-54C2-4845-88E9-473EE1AB1D02.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 8
Also: anyone who's reading this: Is there some inherent preference over taking the train vs. a flight from SdC to Madrid? I assumed I'd take the train bc I so love train travel, it calms me, and don't much love flying (which does not calm me, plus I will be flying to California the following morning). But a flight is half the price and the time.
Check the times of flights - they vary dramatically depending on the time of departure.
Price of one way airfare SCQ to MAD varies dramatically depending in the time of departure. ($31-168). Train costs do as well but late morning train to Madrid is much cheaper than late morning flight. Both modes need some planning.

In SdC getting to the train is an easy downhill 20 minute walk. Trip to the airport at Lavacola (sp?) is a taxi fare. ($$)

Once in Madrid, the train mode requires you to get to the airport to take the free shuttle to your lodging. But that's just a matter of changing trains (and buying a ticket). ($)

In all, I find the train is much more pleasant vs the plane. You get 3 hrs or so easy travel allowing views of a lovely country side. Flying is about the same time door to door and you get to look at clouds.

That said, YMMV.

Check the times of flights - they vary dramatically depending on the time of departure.

Price of one way airfare SCQ to MAD varies dramatically depending in the time of departure. ($31-168). Train costs do as well but late morning train to Madrid is much cheaper than late morning flight. Both modes need some planning.

In SdC getting to the train is an easy downhill 20 minute walk. Trip to the airport at Lavacola (sp?) is a taxi fare. ($$)

Once in Madrid, the train mode requires you to get to the airport to take the free shuttle to your lodging. But that's just a matter of changing trains (and buying a ticket). ($)

In all, I find the train is much more pleasant vs the plane. You get 3 hrs or so easy travel allowing views of a lovely country side. Flying is about the same time door to door and you get to look at clouds.

That said, YMMV.

Train it is, then! You said it best: "...the train is much more pleasant vs the plane. You get 3 hrs or so easy travel allowing views of a lovely country side." I will want that! Going to reserve right now!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When you have a RENFE ticket into or out of Madrid you also have a free Cercanías ticket
I wasn't sure how to use the machines to get my free Cercanías ticket, but someone at the information desk was able to do it for me.

I wasn't sure how to use the machines to get my free Cercanías ticket,
If you look at your ticket there is a section that says “ticket details” you will find a number code to enter into machines to receive Cercanías ticket.
In March 2022 at T4 going into door for Cercanías all that was required was scanning in my RENFE ticket QR code to enter Cercanías gate.
On return to airport at Sol where you must buy a Cercanías ticket from the machine, there has always been an employee to help even early in the morning when they open. Also helpful is to check how to do obtain ticket when you first arrive at the station. Hope this helps.

If you look at your ticket there is a section that says “ticket details” you will find a number code to enter into machines to receive Cercanías ticket.
In March 2022 at T4 going into door for Cercanías all that was required was scanning in my RENFE ticket QR code to enter Cercanías gate.
On return to airport at Sol where you must buy a Cercanías ticket from the machine, there has always been an employee to help even early in the morning when they open. Also helpful is to check how to do obtain ticket when you first arrive at the station. Hope this helps.
Yes, that’s correct.

You select ‘Combinado Cercanias’ on the ticket machine. https://www.spain-traveller.com/en/combinado-cercanias/

Glad you decided on the train! Much more civilized. And to me , most importantly, your carbon footprint is much lower. So win-win!

Currently in Barajas enjoying a nice lunch before a flight in a few hours. Irrespective of the OP decision it’s a nice way to roll if you are flying out of Madrid after some time in the city. Check out for hotel at 10am, flight at 1615 so can get out here for say 1100-1400 for lunch and then a few mins on the metro to airport. Only €2 to Barajas from central, and then €4.50 to airport from here on metro. Small bar across from metro as have a lot of luggage! Absolutely no feeling you are near a major international airport !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Currently in Barajas enjoying a nice lunch before a flight in a few hours. Irrespective of the OP decision it’s a nice way to roll if you are flying out of Madrid after some time in the city. Check out for hotel at 10am, flight at 1615 so can get out here for say 1100-1400 for lunch and then a few mins on the metro to airport. Only €2 to Barajas from central, and then €4.50 to airport from here on metro. Small bar across from metro as have a lot of luggage! Absolutely no feeling you are near a major international airport !
Thanks for the input. Any hotel recommendation?

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back