• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How/why is VdlP difficult?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I've walked the CF twice, averaging 20K a day. A couple of times I walked 30, but I didn't enjoy it... I have some mechanical problems in my foot that start to act up at repeated, very long distances.

But I want to walk La Plata. People here use words like "challenging," "arduous," even "grueling." It doesn't look very hilly. Is this because of the stage distances? I see some posts here listing long stages, but some others that have them broken down into smaller chunks.

I'm still perusing threads here, looking at others' experiences doing the VdlP in about 20K segments. I'm not opposed to occasional alternative transport (other than my feet) if necessary, and am fine with going off route to find places to stay.

I'm looking at starting from Sevilla the first week in April and walking to Salamanca or possibly Zamora. I will have 30 days.

Thanks for any input from recent walkers!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are some long stages of 30km or so. There are also sections with little or no options for food or even water during the day. So it is necessary to think ahead and stock up on both for those sections - on the Frances you cannot go far these days without finding food and drink on all but a few stages. The temperatures in summer can also be considerably higher than on the Frances. Another issue for some people is that there is no regular luggage transfer service. So you must either carry it yourself or pay for it to be moved by taxi. Expensive unless shared with other walkers.

long stages, some without much shade, most without places to stop and sit down comfortably. You can't just phone up a taxi and have them whisk you away, because you're traveling a lot of unnamed dirt roads. There's not always a lot of company, depending on when you go.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
one gains respect of the countryside, the themes change only slowly and some might find this tedious.
I myself will not need to see another line of olive trees ever again, as an example...
I really liked the long stretches with solitude and some stretches, it is true, are 30 Ks...
I would be careful to walk the VdlP in the summertime, too....

You can’t compare it to the CF. Longer distances without any facilities, you need to carry more water (which gets hot, if walking in Summer!). If you are starting in April, there should be no problem with heat. I think though, from memory, you need to be able to walk more than 20k.... I think it only gets really hilly in Galicia but that’s on the Sanabrés.

Jill

I loved this route - and I'm not some super strong walker. You just need to be a little more independent and self reliant than you need to be on the Frances - so it is more challenging. But very beautiful. Most stages aren't so long. And I met more people on the VDLP than I have since met on the Portuguese (from Lisbon to Porto) and the lovely Madrid route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm happy to run into this thread. I too am looking for an alternative to the Francés. @Levi, what time of the year did you walk this route?

For me, the VdlP/Sanabres required a lot of planning, because I also prefer 20 km days. I ended up spending 50 days en route, one rest day and the rest walking longer or shorter days to average 20 km a day (autumn 2017). I sent my pack ahead on the 2nd and 3rd days, because it was very hot (mid 30's in early Oct.) and I was rather tired and dehydrated the first three days. It was also possible to skip 16 highway kms of the 29 km 3rd day, and most of those walking the route took a taxi to do so. I put my pack in the taxi and walked. For me the most difficult day was the 28 km day to San Pedro de Rozados, which involved some climbing and route finding and was very hot. The next day was Salamanca, so that is towards the end of your planned walk on the VdlP and might be hot by the time you get there. The longest, and most dangerous, day is the 32 km walk from Casar de Caceres to Canaveral. There is a hostel part way on the Embalse de Alcantara , but it has been unreliable as to when it is open so I would be sure to have enough water and to not count on staying there. If I remember correctly, a man who had counted on staying there last summer found it shut and died somewhere short of Canaveral. I am not trying to frighten you about this walk. I walked it alone when I was 69 years old and found it doable. I used Gerald Kelly's guidebook, which I purchased from the forum bookstore. He updates it regularly. The 2019 edition is currently sold out, so check with Ivar on availability. I found much of the first half of this walk to be hot and dry and dusty (autumn) but you may find it less so in the spring. There is not much climbing before Zamora, which would be the end of your walk. Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Less infrastructure, equals more weight, with longer daily milage requirements, and an additional one third longer total distance than the CF. More solitude, less pilgrims, requires more self reliance. I haven't done them all, but this is my favourite so far!

I've walked the CF twice, averaging 20K a day.
I see some posts here listing long stages, but some others that have them broken down into smaller chunks.

I'm looking at starting from Sevilla the first week in April and walking to Salamanca or possibly Zamora. I will have 30 days.

Hi Jill
I haven’t yet walked this route but wanted to respond to your post as I’m in middle of planning Vdlp starting early April. Maybe you’ll be a couple of days ahead. I don’t arrive in Seville until the afternoon of 5th

“ I see some posts here listing long stages, but some others that have them broken down into smaller chunks. “

—— I’m planning mine now. I’ve reached out to a few by pm who have kindly given good tips and their stages etc. I’m working out mine based on earlier posts too with manageable chucks.

“I'm looking at starting from Sevilla the first week in April and walking to Salamanca or possibly Zamora. I will have 30 days.”

I have a few extra days and hope to reach Puebla de Sanabria on the Sanabrés.. then train back to Madrid.

Apart from being careful with preparation for day ahead with enough water and some snacks or even picnic ., or needing to ford streams (or go the long way( if there has been recent rain etc).. I have not seen any particular difficulty any harder than the CF myself.
If you’re already prepared yourself for possibility of a taxi if needed. (I’m thinking of that long day where pilgrims often share a cab to the park (cutting out the 16? odd k’s on the road. I know many walk that stage. I’ll decide closer to the stage. More than likely with my legs I’ll taxi that bit. )

Good luck Jill.
I hope I see you either in Seville or en route
Buen Camino.
Annie

I've been planning this route for over a year and have got the stages down to manageable distances assuming that the albergues on the winter list are open.
I start in 3 ½ weeks time and will be doing a "Live from the VDLP" for all those following, mainly about the route, river crossings and albergues.
I don't expect to meet many pilgrims on the way, but that suits me. I tend to walk in my own little world.
I think fitness could be the key to this camino because of the lonely stretches, I've been walking every day with my full pack around the 25km mark and will continue until a few days before I leave.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
All of the above but... oh I lost my heart on the VdlP. I expected the worst but actually found it not too bad. There were a couple of stages that were tricky and we took a bus once but oh it's stunning and the history... like WOW. I kept my pack weight down, I prepared more for that walk than the CF and that helped.

I blog when walking... https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/bordeaux-pizza-goodbyes/

I keep walking new routes but so far nothing matches that experience. I don't know if it's the right choice for you but I will walk it again one day... I have to!

I've walked the CF twice, averaging 20K a day. A couple of times I walked 30, but I didn't enjoy it... I have some mechanical problems in my foot that start to act up at repeated, very long distances.

But I want to walk La Plata. People here use words like "challenging," "arduous," even "grueling." It doesn't look very hilly. Is this because of the stage distances? I see some posts here listing long stages, but some others that have them broken down into smaller chunks.

I'm still perusing threads here, looking at others' experiences doing the VdlP in about 20K segments. I'm not opposed to occasional alternative transport (other than my feet) if necessary, and am fine with going off route to find places to stay.

JillGat:

I will be walking the VdlP starting around March 18th.

Challenging, arduous and grueling are all relative terms. Therefore, they have to be taken in the context of the speakers mindset. This can not be done, so I would work more from maps of the terrain and distances versus focusing on terms.

I suggest you use www.gronze.com to plan your next day the night before. Set a target for that day based on where you intend to go and what is available along the way (food, water etc.). Execute the plan. Be prepared to adjust should conditions change (weather, injury etc.)

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Jill
I loved this route - and I'm not some super strong walker. You just need to be a little more independent and self reliant than you need to be on the Frances - so it is more challenging. But very beautiful. Most stages aren't so long.
Set a target for your day based on where you intend to go and what is available along the way (food, water etc.). Execute that plan. Be prepared to adjust that plan should conditions change (weather, injury etc.)
Exactly my experience and advice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On the days without stops we got into the habit of looking for a big,flat rock or shady spot for our picnic.
Only once ran out of water on the long day to San Pedro but could see the town by then.

This is a great site for planning your stages according to the km you want to walk. You can then print out a day to stay list of stages and also an altitude map. I've used it on my three Plata walks:
https://godesalco.com/plan/plata

It is in Spanish but I believe doable if you don't. It also states what type of lodging available.

From my talks with hospitaleros along the route April is one of the busiest months. You certainly won't be alone and you will be walking during Easter. Semana Santa is a big deal in Spain. I've walked the Plata in June, July and February and we were only a handful walking.

I love the route but must preface that long distances nor heat deter me.

Ultreia!

Springtime is UNIQUE in the lower part, and the landscape changes dramatically as you come onto the high plateau of Salamanca. Stages can be long at times, indeed, you might need to reconsider some stages and beware of some stages of 30 km. Just make sure you plan your stages in advance, the godesalco.com page which @LTfit recommends above is perfect for that.
To me, it is the most spiritual of all caminos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've been planning this route for over a year and have got the stages down to manageable distances assuming that the albergues on the winter list are open.
I start in 3 ½ weeks time and will be doing a "Live from the VDLP" for all those following, mainly about the route, river crossings and albergues.
I don't expect to meet many pilgrims on the way, but that suits me. I tend to walk in my own little world.
I think fitness could be the key to this camino because of the lonely stretches, I've been walking every day with my full pack around the 25km mark and will continue until a few days before I leave.

Looking forward to your posts as I’ll be behind you.

I am thankful to have found this thread as I am also planning to do VDLP this year. I'm planning for my 4th Camino, after finishing CF, Portuguese and Primitivo for the past 3 consecutive years. I can do about 27-32km a day, and understand about when some say about long distance without food/drinks on some part of Primitivo. I only have about 2 weeks of walking time this year, and think I can cover about 400km within that time span.

Qn:

1. For those who have done VDLP and also Primitivo, I would like to hear your views and how you would compare these 2 routes in your opinion.

2. Besides VDLP, I am also looking at del Norte route. Has anyone who's done both VDLP and Norte, and care to comment?

Appreciate any advice please.

Ern

To me it seemed the least arduous of all the Caminos I've walked. There is very little by way of steep climbs (maybe after Lubián). There's a way round doing 40k from Carcaboso to Aldeanueva del Camino (hotels at Vilar de Plasencia will pick you up and drop you back next day at the Arco de Caparra). Otherwise, truly, it's not hard. I was 66 when I did it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is a great site for planning your stages according to the km you want to walk. You can then print out a day to stay list of stages and also an altitude map. I've used it on my three Plata walks:

It is in Spanish but I believe doable if you don't. It also states what type of lodging available.

From my talks with hospitaleros along the route April is one of the busiest months. You certainly won't be alone and you will be walking during Easter. Semana Santa is a big deal in Spain. I've walked the Plata in June, July and February and we were only a handful walking.

Ultreia!
Thank you for recommending the godesalco site. My computer automatically translated the Spanish to English.
I will print it off. I found Gronze brilliant for the Seville -Salamanca section and had Gerald Kelly's book saved on my smart phone. Now planing from Salamanca on starting late April.
Buen Camino
Happymark

I am thankful to have found this thread as I am also planning to do VDLP this year. I'm planning for my 4th Camino, after finishing CF, Portuguese and Primitivo for the past 3 consecutive years. I can do about 27-32km a day, and understand about when some say about long distance without food/drinks on some part of Primitivo. I only have about 2 weeks of walking time this year, and think I can cover about 400km within that time span.

Qn:

1. For those who have done VDLP and also Primitivo, I would like to hear your views and how you would compare these 2 routes in your opinion.

2. Besides VDLP, I am also looking at del Norte route. Has anyone who's done both VDLP and Norte, and care to comment?

Ern

Hi Ern-

I have walked both the VDLP and the Norte. Both were amazing IMO, but in different ways. Please don't ask me to pick a favorite.

The VDLP offers more variety in scenery than the Norte. To me I felt that the VDLP was somewhat more historically interesting. The gorgeous waterfront scenery on the Norte can't be beat. For me there is something soothing about walking by the ocean. OTH, the terrain from Irun-Bilbao on the Norte was more demanding than anything on the VDLP.

My recollection is that there were fewer days on the Norte where I had to go long distances without services. Surprisingly, the number of bad weather days was about the same on both. In both cases I walked in the May-early July timeframe.

What are you looking for in a Camino experience? If you're having a hard time deciding, why not do one route this year and the other next year?

In both cases there were plenty of other people to socialize with without there being a bed race. For the Norte you might want to stay away in July ahd August which is high season on the coadt.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either choice.

Buen Camino

Thank you for recommending the godesalco site. My computer automatically translated the Spanish to English.
I will print it off. I found Gronze brilliant for the Seville -Salamanca section and had Gerald Kelly's book saved on my smart phone. Now planing from Salamanca on starting late April.
Buen Camino
Happymark
And there are buttons at the top of the website to choose your language. 😊
And a settings button to choose your preferred measurements, etc.
Godesalco.jpg

Is the godesalco site updated regularly?

The Godesalco planner only gives distances between points along the route. Just because a place is listed that does not mean that there are any facilities there. It is not a stage guide in that sense. That is information you need to find elsewhere. As the villages are not likely to move any time soon there is very little need to update it. There is a guide section for the Via de la Plata and it gives details of when it was last updated but the core of the guide is based on a journey made more than 10 years ago. Personally I would rely more on Gronze, Eroski and Gerald Kelly's guide. https://godesalco.com/camino/plata

Last edited:
For planning purposes I've always liked gronze.com. In addition to the distances between towns it tells you what services are available once you get there. It also provides information about and links to accommodations if you want to get in touch with them for any reason.

Hi,

when I walked the Via in 2008-2010 I relied much on the Information compelled on the "Godesalco"-site. But nowadays it seems to be a bit out of date. I put a request there for travel companions more than a week ago but it has not been published yet. The last entry in that section dates from August 2018.

Thus I would rather rely on the information you can obtain from "Gronze" or "Eroski". The latter is also not quite up to date, but you can see from the pilgrims comments which informations are still valid.

I also found another nice planning-tool which even allows you to print out your planning and a "Microguía" (mini-guide) which shows all the infrastructure along the track.

Planificador RutasASantiago.com

When I am in Seville I will contact the local office of the pilgrims organisation and see, if they can offer me some additional information.

If you want to shorten stages, look at the tracks in GoogleEarth. Sometimes you can find a place to eat, sleep or catch a bus by walking only a short detour.

BC
Alexandra

......I also found another nice planning-tool which even allows you to print out your planning and a "Microguía" (mini-guide) which shows all the infrastructure along the track.

Planificador RutasASantiago.com
Thank you very much for this site; it has led me to this: http://www.rutasasantiago.com/BDCaminos/camino-de-santiago?cam=Camino-de-Madrid, which I think will give me the info on the Camino de Madrid that I am looking for and have been unable to find. Unfortunately, this site is in Spanish, and my Spanish is not good enough.

My apologies, but I am not tech savvy - could someone please tell me if I can get this in English, and how? Thank you in advance.

Thank you very much for this site; it has led me to this: http://www.rutasasantiago.com/BDCaminos/camino-de-santiago?cam=Camino-de-Madrid, which I think will give me the info on the Camino de Madrid that I am looking for and have been unable to find. Unfortunately, this site is in Spanish, and my Spanish is not good enough.

My apologies, but I am not tech savvy - could someone please tell me if I can get this in English, and how? Thank you in advance.
If you have google chrome then you can open in GC, if you don't then just download it and do as I've said.
Google Chrome will do the translation for you, very handy tool.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Is the godesalco site updated regularly? I will sometimes be looking for options to shorten the longer stages and this and Gronze.com both show intermediate stops in between. By the way, I started a thread in this forum with a calendar to see when people here are planning to walk the VDLP in the next few months.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/vdlp-spring-walkers-calendar.59779/
I use the Editorial Buen Camino app, and I find it very easy to set up new stages. I believe that it is updated regularly. I haven't used it for the VdLP yet though
If you have google chrome then you can open in GC, if you don't then just download it and do as I've said.
Google Chrome will do the translation for you, very handy tool.
I used that site for the Norte, since Godelasco doesn't include that route.

I hope it's OK to use the "H" word here.

My route was Zamora to Santiago in October/November one year, then from Seville with the goal of reaching Zamora the next April/May. A couple of times when I just couldn't walk any more (here it comes!) I hitchhiked alone with absolutely no qualms. I mailed some stuff to General Delivery at a post office in a town about two weeks further on my route to lighten the load a tiny bit.

Absolutely loved the VldP, especially through Galicia. Went via Ourense and opted for the long steep option first thing going out of Ourense and was so happy to reach the 99km marker at the top!

I hope it's OK to use the "H" word here.

My route was Zamora to Santiago in October/November one year, then from Seville with the goal of reaching Zamora the next April/May. A couple of times when I just couldn't walk any more (here it comes!) I hitchhiked alone with absolutely no qualms. I mailed some stuff to General Delivery at a post office in a town about two weeks further on my route to lighten the load a tiny bit.

Absolutely loved the VldP, especially through Galicia. Went via Ourense and opted for the long steep option first thing going out of Ourense and was so happy to reach the 99km marker at the top!
@Pilgrim Patricia
I too once had to hitch a ride, when everything went wrong on my first day on a camino, and finally there appeared to be no other way to get to my night's accommodation, except a couple of hours walking on a highway after dark. I was lucky, but it was not an easy decision and I would not encourage anyone else to do it. The camino may be safer than many other places where you might travel, but it is not safe. If I remember the details correctly, a Korean pilgrim accepted a ride while walking her camino not long ago, and she was in serious trouble, escaping worse only by chance. We do what we have to, but please do not choose hitchhiking if you can see any other option. It is not safe.

I do realize that almost any activity can be unsafe; however, sometimes on a route like the Via de la Plata - - which as has been pointed out, has longer stretches without services, etc. - - hitching might be the only option. It's been my experience that trusting in God and others for help when I need it usually works out. References are often made to "camino angels" and I've met a few myself, including those who've given me a ride when my feet couldn't keep going.

Hola JillGat,
I walked the VDLP in the fall of 2018. I agree with you regarding the terrain on VDLP. I think there will be times when you can do 20 kms or less, and there will also be times when you may have to do more than 20 kms. With good planning and flexibility, you may be able to determine how best to pursue your journey. In my interaction with fellow Pilgrims on the VDLP (many of which had also walked the CF), what we often talked about - more had to do with the weather (heat in the south y wet & cooler in the north); another comment which Pilgrims also mentioned was the lack of people on the VDLP as compared to the CF. I have not walked the CF, but I know how popular it is. So, I think some Pigrims may have found the lack of more Pilgrims, and the routine solitude of the VDLP to be a difficulty. I found the VDLP to be a great y unique experience, and would recommend it to most anyone, especially if one enjoys the challenge of difference. I wish you well on whatever you decide.
Ultreia,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I left Seville on 18 September. Very hot for the first 2/3 weeks! I think more people walk early in the year.
I had a bit of heat the first week or so when I started in early October, but after that, the weather - and the entire walk - was beautiful all the way to Santiago.

I'm happy to run into this thread. I too am looking for an alternative to the Francés. @Levi, what time of the year did you walk this route?
I started in early April last year and the weather was perfect for walking however I didn’t factor walking in the snow For a day! Although unprepared I felt exhilarated.mlike everyone has said, there are some long stages and not many options to split them in 2 and find somewhere to stay in between. Cafes that open early in the morning are scarce. The more Spanish you can speak, the better you will be. I loved this walk!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walked it and loved it. Before walking the VDLP I somehow formed a belief that I absolutely cannot walk with my pack more than 18 miles a day without collapsing. In walking the VDLP I habitually walked with my pack more than 18 miles a day up to 28 miles a day. I never collapsed. I enjoyed it. It was not a problem. Lesson learned: do not set artificial limits for yourself, just pace yourself. A note for the Easter walkers: On Easter Sunday restaurants and shops will be closed, except for gas station convenience stores. You need to have your food purchased on the day before or you likely will go hungry.

Walked it and loved it. Before walking the VDLP I somehow formed a belief that I absolutely cannot walk with my pack more than 18 miles a day without collapsing. In walking the VDLP I habitually walked with my pack more than 18 miles a day up to 28 miles a day. I never collapsed. I enjoyed it. It was not a problem. Lesson learned: do not set artificial limits for yourself, just pace yourself. A note for the Easter walkers: On Easter Sunday restaurants and shops will be closed, except for gas station convenience stores. You need to have your food purchased on the day before or you likely will go hungry.
Likewise I was convinced that I would hate walking in the rain. But last year on the Norte I had many rainy days, and it was actually kind of fun splish-sploshing along.

Qn:

Ern
I agree with others, both the VdlP and the Primitivo are very different. I did part of the VdlP after walking the lovely Salvador in 2017, Í found both routes a bit challenging on a couple of days with climbs. In fact I joked about the Primitivo, up to Lugo, that you started the day with a hill and ended the day with a hill! But I loved the Primitivo, especially the walk over Hospitales, a day I will never forget.
Last year I did part of VdlP from Mérida to Zamora and am going back twice this year to complete it doing Sevilla to Mérida in Semana Santa and then back in Sept to rejoin at Zamora and go to Santiago via Sanabres. I loved the region of Extremadura, so much history and great places to visit and the tapas are great! So if you prefer lovely countryside, a couple of good climbs with mainly small welcoming towns and people, try the Primitivo, then again if you like cultural sites, Roman history, great towns, people, try VdlP (but as I say I have only done part of it!)
Ideally do both!!

Qn:

Ern
The Norte is much more crowded than the VDLP. Even the Primitivo is more crowded than the VDLP, but only slightly more so. The VDLP is the most physically and mentally demanding of the three, because it does have longer stages and is not as well marked. The Norte is better marked than the VDLP, but not as well marked as the Primitivo. In physical demands the Norte and Primitivo are about the same, but the Primitivo is more peaceful, more plush with more dirt to walk on, and is much cheaper because the tourists don't go there so much. With only two weeks, the primitivo would be ideal for you. It is not hard. The Hospital route is lovely and plush except for a stretch on the ridge that can be very windy, and a short stretch downhill that is steep so harder for those with knee problems. I no longer believe in the guide book authors' assessments on levels of difficulty. How difficult really depends on your experience and level of fitness. I felt intimidated before I walked each of these caminos, only to find that the intimidation is unjustified.

I will be walking the VDLP starting from Seville late March. I walked the Frances 3 years ago when I was 60.
Can someone tell me how much is "enough" water on the long stretches? 1.5, 2 or 3 litres? or more?
thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
on the long stretches carry at least 2 litres preferably 3 if you can manage it. Of course there's the weight issue but at least that gets lighter as the day goes on. Only one day last September did I run out of water on the long walk to Alcantara, I was so glad to get to the Albergue to get some water and it was a much needed lesson for me that I should have carried another litre.

on the long stretches carry at least 2 litres preferably 3 if you can manage it. Of course there's the weight issue but at least that gets lighter as the day goes on. Only one day last September did I run out of water on the long walk to Alcantara, I was so glad to get to the Albergue to get some water and it was a much needed lesson for me that I should have carried another litre.

I agree. There were at least two days - walking across the Berrocal park and walking to Alcantara and Canaveral where I carried and drank over 3 litres and was still hoping for more. The Alcantara albergue was closed but I was very lucky to find a catering van parked up nearby where the owner kindly gave me a 1.5 litre bottle. Much needed at the time. Very close to the place where a young German man later died during a heatwave. A very sobering thought.

I will be walking the VDLP starting from Seville late March. I walked the Frances 3 years ago when I was 60.
Can someone tell me how much is "enough" water on the long stretches? 1.5, 2 or 3 litres? or more?
thanks
You are asking about walking in late March into April. I have never considered carrying 3 L of water. The most I have ever carried is 2 L, and that only because it was a warm day and a long stretch. I have not walked in very hot weather. It depends entirely on what your water needs normally are (mine are lower than many people), how hot it is that day, and how long the stage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Depends on what time of year you do it. I did it September/October last year. Very hot first till I got to Salamanca.

Its not hard, few hills, mostly flat ,some long day's though.

I walked the VdlP a few years ago (after the Frances and the Norte) and cannot say that it stood out as being difficult. I found it to be a lovely camino and i used the Wise Pilgrim app for everything!

To C, regarding water: I walked the VDLP starting in the beginning of April from Seville, walked usually 30 up to max 45 Ks a day, 2 liters per day were enough for me. I started by 6:00 a.m. each day and usually got to my destination no later than 1:00 p.m., later if more Ks. You will start in March, I think 2 liters may be enough depending on your size, how early in the day you start and how much distance you cover. I met a young pilgrim on the VDLP. She's 6 feet and weighed about 200 lbs. She always started late, like 9:00 a.m. or later and took many breaks. So she walked during the warmest part of the day and did not get to the destination until about sundown. She carried 8 liters a day and drank it all. So it really depends on your size and how you do it.

thanks for all those thoughts, helps greatly with the planning. I like lots of water if I can get it but can ration myself and manage the heat if needed. I love this forum it is entertaining, informative and thought provoking.

If a humble cyclist might venture an opinion...my wife and I cycled Seville to SdeC last September. Temperatures were mid 30s every day and we didn’t see a cloud till Galicia. With bikes we were able to do 70kms per day. With that sort of range, we could almost spend the night in a town with some activity every night bar three. At that time of year we came across many more cyclists than walkers though, curiously, the walkers we did see seemed to be disproportionately older solo women. We were in AWE of them given the distances and the heat. Water would likely be your single biggest problem. We carried 3l and refilled wherever possible. I imagine walkers would need more and would be carrying it themselves. Given the distances food and accommodation would also be problematic. We had a great time (the cities along the VdlP are amazing as is the scenery in between) but we were extremely grateful to be cycling, at least at that time of year.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Ultreia!
If you look at the top right hand corner there is an icon with the British Union Jack and you can switch to English.

To C, regarding water: I walked the VDLP starting in the beginning of April from Seville, walked usually 30 up to max 45 Ks a day, 2 liters per day were enough for me. I started by 6:00 a.m. each day and usually got to my destination no later than 1:00 p.m., later if more Ks. You will start in March, I think 2 liters may be enough depending on your size, how early in the day you start and how much distance you cover. I met a young pilgrim on the VDLP. She's 6 feet and weighed about 200 lbs. She always started late, like 9:00 a.m. or later and took many breaks. So she walked during the warmest part of the day and did not get to the destination until about sundown. She carried 8 liters a day and drank it all. So it really depends on your size and how you do it.
Very impressive that you can walk 45K in 7 hours with breaks. Hope I see you one day on the Camino we can wave to each other as you roll by!

45 km in 7 hours that is high speed - even without a break it averages to 6,5 km/h.

I only met a few pilgrims going that pace. 7 hours for 30 km would be closer to my average.

Folks mention that there are long stretches without cafes or shops, and that the VDLP requires more planning than the Camino Frances. So far this sounds like the Le Puy route, though obviously with a different landscape. Has anyone done both that can compare them?

(I've narrowed my next camino down to two ... or maybe four ... I still have another year to figure it out)

Hello Michael
I did the Le Puy route 5 years ago and am only 10/11 days into the VLDP and it feels quite different to that. Other than the obvious cultural/language difference it feels less 'glossy', more ordinary that the Le Puy. I don't mean ordinary in any negative way rather that I feel a bit closer to daily life of the people here. I'm almost always walking through farmland and fields and often seeing people at work around me. Others who have done the whole route can say more about the later stages but certainly the earlier parts feel very agricultural.

I hardly ever find a place to stop for coffee and pastry on the way in the morning whereas on the Le Puy route barely a day went by without a convenient 'morning tea' stop.

The other big difference is the accommodation. On Le Puy most often I was in gites that were private homes and often interacting with the hosts. That is very different here. Accommodation is in Albergues not private homes - that's quite a difference.
Megg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jill
I haven’t yet walked this route but wanted to respond to your post as I’m in middle of planning Vdlp starting early April. Maybe you’ll be a couple of days ahead. I don’t arrive in Seville until the afternoon of 5th

“ I see some posts here listing long stages, but some others that have them broken down into smaller chunks. “

—— I’m planning mine now. I’ve reached out to a few by pm who have kindly given good tips and their stages etc. I’m working out mine based on earlier posts too with manageable chucks.

“I'm looking at starting from Sevilla the first week in April and walking to Salamanca or possibly Zamora. I will have 30 days.”

I have a few extra days and hope to reach Puebla de Sanabria on the Sanabrés.. then train back to Madrid.

Apart from being careful with preparation for day ahead with enough water and some snacks or even picnic ., or needing to ford streams (or go the long way( if there has been recent rain etc).. I have not seen any particular difficulty any harder than the CF myself.
If you’re already prepared yourself for possibility of a taxi if needed. (I’m thinking of that long day where pilgrims often share a cab to the park (cutting out the 16? odd k’s on the road. I know many walk that stage. I’ll decide closer to the stage. More than likely with my legs I’ll taxi that bit. )

Good luck Jill.
I hope I see you either in Seville or en route
Buen Camino.
Annie
@OzAnnie, at the moment, going skiing in Norway, I envy all of you planning to start walking Via de la Plata soon.
I would say that the hill at the end of the national parque day3 is not as bad as the guidebook says.
For me passing the arroyos in the parque was worse after a heavy rain the night before. I walked the whole way, and except from the froading arroyos it was not a big deal, I thought some of the days ahead was more exhausting, perhaps it was warmer then. I wish you and others on the way a buen camino.

Last edited:
@OzAnnie, at the moment, going skiing in Norway, I envy all of you planning to start walking Via de la Plata soon.
I would say that the hill at the end of the national parque day3 is not as bad as the guidebook says.
For me passing the arroyos in the parque was worse after a heavy rain the night before. I walked the whole way, and except from the froading arroyos it was not a big deal, I thought some of the days ahead was more exhausting, perhaps it was warmer then. I wish you and others on the way a buen camino.
Hi @ranthr
How lovely of you to send a cheer on !
Yes., only just over 2 weeks until I leave home.
It’s sunday morning here in Sydney and we’re getting some steady rain. Very welcome .
Be careful skiing - you needs those legs for the camino .. I had a knee reconstruction (due to skiing - in 2001) but I didn’t grow up doing it like you would have. Great way to keep fit !

Thanks for your thoughts on the climbs ahead. I’ve a feeling that taken slowly... they’ll be like most hills.
I don’t rush .. you’re right about the arroyos...I’m sure I’ll have cold wet feet at some stage., but it will pass.

The thing that concerns me most is carrying enough water ... I’ve never started a day with 3litrs of water before?? Just don’t want to carry more than I’ll need., but not stupid enough to ignore warnings either.

Cheers.
Annie

Hi @ranthr

The thing that concerns me most is carrying enough water ... I’ve never started a day with 3litrs of water before?? Just don’t want to carry more than I’ll need., but not stupid enough to ignore warnings either.

Cheers.
Annie

Hi @OzAnnie ! I carried a minimum of 3 litres because I started in June (and there was a heatwave that year). I doubt you’ll need as much water in April and if so, only for a few days? The good thing is, you drink it as you go along so your pack gets lighter. Buen camino.

Speaking to a Spanish person walking with us now the weather is unseasonably hot right now...most days 20 to 24. She said it is more usual for 15 to 18. I don't like heat and prefer colder climates generally but am managing ok. Taking at the moment about 1.5 to 2 litres water and that has worked well for me and been enough.
The days coming up are perhaps the longest - going to Embalse El Cantara tomorrow - and will perhaps carry a little more.

I think hills so far have been very minor...in my opinion. Perhaps bigger on the Sanabres but I've yet to see. Most days long and flat with small uphills. The one uphill on day three was super short - but yes, steep.
Its a liong walk, and often very hot but so far not difficult.
Megg

Hi @ranthr
How lovely of you to send a cheer on !
Yes., only just over 2 weeks until I leave home.
It’s sunday morning here in Sydney and we’re getting some steady rain. Very welcome .
Be careful skiing - you needs those legs for the camino .. I had a knee reconstruction (due to skiing - in 2001) but I didn’t grow up doing it like you would have. Great way to keep fit !

Thanks for your thoughts on the climbs ahead. I’ve a feeling that taken slowly... they’ll be like most hills.
I don’t rush .. you’re right about the arroyos...I’m sure I’ll have cold wet feet at some stage., but it will pass.

Cheers.
Annie
Speaking to a Spanish person walking with us now the weather is unseasonably hot right now...most days 20 to 24. She said it is more usual for 15 to 18. I don't like heat and prefer colder climates generally but am managing ok. Taking at the moment about 1.5 to 2 litres water and that has worked well for me and been enough.
The days coming up are perhaps the longest - going to Embalse El Cantara tomorrow - and will perhaps carry a little more.

I think hills so far have been very minor...in my opinion. Perhaps bigger on the Sanabres but I've yet to see. Most days long and flat with small uphills. The one uphill on day three was super short - but yes, steep.
Its a liong walk, and often very hot but so far not difficult.
Megg

Enjoying your posts. I want to walk Via June-July.

I like heat.

Is it at all possible to break long days into Teo shorter day without using transportation?

Sometimes - when a town/village is on the way - but not always.
I've not take a bus but people have been along the route and looks like it is straight forward to do so. I

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back