• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How's the Pyrenees?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lots of people start from Pamplona or Roncesvalles, but I am so glad we started in SJPdP. The views are breathtaking and I would say there are no other views like it on the CF. I would say it was the hardest part for me, due in part that it was day 1 and day 2 of the camino, so very early on and I wasn't in the best of shape at that point and had no experience climbing over a mountain, but I did it. We went from SJPdP all the way to Roncesvalles on the first day, but if you can, and want to go slow, I would recommend booking in at Orisson and then going to Roncesvalles on day 2. Having said that, I think that people feel that they MUST start from SJPdP, but that's not necessary. We won't think any less of you if you don't. Lol.

I've attached a few pics of the views on our first morning, coming out of SJPdP. In the fourth picture, you can clearly see I am sucking wind. Lol!!

Enjoy and Buen Camino!!

Attachments

• misty mountain hop.jpg
    misty mountain hop.jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 245
  • el Camino 2.jpg
    el Camino 2.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 239
  • me again.jpg
    me again.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 238
  • me me on camino hiking the Pyrenees.jpg
    me me on camino hiking the Pyrenees.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 243
  • another misty moutain.jpg
    another misty moutain.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 224
  • another vista.jpg
    another vista.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 217
  • cows.jpg
    cows.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Crossing the Pyrenees was in my opinion the most beautiful part of the camino, and not to be missed.

The hardest part is from SJPP to Orrison, which is fairly steep. A good way to divide the crossing is to stay the night at Orrison. If I were to do this part again I would properly try to get into SJPP later in the day and then go straight to Orrison. Then I would have the whole mountain to myself the next morning when I got up early. From Orrison to Roncesvalles is mainly nice paved road, uphill but not too steep or difficult.

Yes it is the hardest part of the CF. But honestly I personally didn’t find the crossing that diffficult. For me it took a lot less time than expected. Of course, it depends on your fitnesslevel, but remember it is still just a walk and not a hike. If you have spend time in the mountains before, you will properly not find it difficult.

I sure whatever you choose will be the right choice for you.

Last edited:
I found SJPP and the Pyrennes a wonderful start to a wonderful Camino. I walked to Orisson the first day. The route to Roncesvalles was difficult, but manageable, and gave me the greatest sense of accomplishment. The views are remarkable. I found the trek up to O'Cebriero more challenging and I was in way better shape by then...

Crossing the Pyenees was a highlight for me as well, yes it was hard, but worth every step. We walked from SJPDP to Roncesvalles, and I would absolutely do that again. It was spectacular (but again we had a wonderful day, if you look at recent photos the views are obscured). The alpine scenery, horses, sheep, plants etc were amazing, although it seems hard at the time, I look back and long to be back there.
We started to connect with our Camino family on that leg, so it was key for us.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Depending on the day you walk, the Pyrenees can be spectacular or you can't see your hand in front of you if it's foggy. The stage isn't called "Hell Day" for nothing! I'd suggest you break it up into two days OR just start from Pamplona! There will be lovely views going up to O Cebreiro and in other places. Just depends on how much time you have and what your expectations are.

I am great on the flats but have no up gear. The climb kicked my butt. It was tough but I did it in a reasonable time. I went from SJPDP straight to Roncesvalles. I took a lot of breaks. The down hill at the end was tough due to the rocks so, you might take the alternate road route down. The views were spectacular and I met a few people that I walked with for quite a while. It was worth doing.

I have the same issue but hopefully I have planned my first two days well. I arrive in Biarritz mid-day on the 21st June and have booked a taxi/minibus to take me to SJDPD. If I can get people to share it will cost about €10. Once in SJPDP, I will pick up a set of walking sticks, get some food and a good French coffee and set out in the late afternoon to Orisson (you need to book it in advance). That will take about 3 hours off the alternative of walking to Roncesvalles in one day. I felt if I was in SJDPD for my first night I would essentially be hanging around on my own waiting to start. So BC to all and wish me luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lots of people start from Pamplona or Roncesvalles, but I am so glad we started in SJPdP. The views are breathtaking and I would say there are no other views like it on the CF. I would say it was the hardest part for me, due in part that it was day 1 and day 2 of the camino, so very early one and I wasn't in the best of shape at that point and had no experience climbing over a mountain, but I did it. We went from SJPdP all the way to Roncesvalles on the first day, but if you can, and want to go slow, I would recommend booking in at Orisson and then going to Roncesvalles on day 2. Having said that, I think that people feel that they MUST start from SJPdP, but that's not necessary. We won't think any less of you. Lol.

I've attached a few pics of the views on our first morning, coming out of SJPdP.

Enjoy and Buen Camino!!
The pictures are great. We always walk in winter so the Pyrenees route is closed.

I'm still thinking should I start from SJPP, Pamlona or Roncesvalles.
How is the Pyrenees? I know that I need to climb like a 1000m high.
Will you consider it the hardest part among the whole camino frances?
Is there similar view along the road apart from there?

Buen Camino
Its a very long day from SJPdP to Roncesvalles but like any difficult endeavor, it is definitely worth it. Enjoy it. No one can ever take that memory away from you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino
There are a few tough parts on the Camino but remember it is not a race. We are in our late 60's and trekked the entire Frances twice in 11 months. We found the second time we stayed in SJJP for a few days and it worked out much better getting over jetlag. Stay at Orisson your first day out of SJJP, make reservation way in advance, then your second day walk to Roncevalles. Becareful and do not take the steep route down from the mountain going to Roncevalles.
Buen Camino :)

Buen Camino
For me st jean de port is the best your at your fittest with training and walking in the foot steps of so many pilgrims that have gone befoe you is inspirational

Ditto a thousand times everything said here. The first three days from SJPdP through the Pyrenees were by far my favorite part of the Camino. The cows, pigs, horses, sheep with bells on coming out of the fog... the beauty of the small stone Basque villages, the special feeling of being with pilgrims who are all beginning in this rugged place... It's worth every step.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino
Hi Jeanne,

The Pyrenees can be a bit daunting, and they are definitely demanding. But the reward is unimaginable. But do not do someone else's amino. You are going to walk your own, and that its the way it must always be.

The Napoleon Route does require a climb from 70m up to the summit of 1,400m, runs 32.0 km allowing for the climb. As you know, Orisson is at the 8 km or 10 km point, (depending on whether the short cut is used or not), and leaves about 18 km to do the next day.

The Valcarlos Route is 28 km, again, ajusted for the climb, which is about 400m less than the Napoleon. Valcarols does have an albergue which is at the 12 km mark. It provides a fairly easy rise of only about 150m on the first day but will require a climb of 850m the next day.

If the second day looks impossible, a taxi can br ordered to Roncesvalles so you still get to see the area, though from the road.

So there are some other options that would still give a chance to see the scenery that no other part of the Camino can offer.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Reserve in Orisson after the 1st days walk. Then Ronsesvalles. It breaks the pass into 2 stages. Have your pack transported.You will never regret the Pyrennes. Absolutely beautiful!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As others have said, it is difficult, but this is a usual starting point of the trip so most are well rested and not so battle worn as one becomes later. Being fresh and eager many pace themselves all the way to Roncevalles in one day.
Once there (Roncevalles) your feet will be talking to you, but as another stated it is a beautiful walk and you will feel a sense of accomplishment..........

Some folks would like to stay at Orisson after day 1, and then continue onto Roncesvalles for day 2, but this isn't always possible because the beds at Orisson are limited. One way that this can be done, however, is to walk to Orisson, then take a cab back down to SJPdP, then the next morning, take a cab back to Orisson and carry on to Roncesvalles from there. Sure it's weird and unconventional, but it's win-win!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have the same issue but hopefully I have planned my first two days well. I arrive in Biarritz mid-day on the 21st June and have booked a taxi/minibus to take me to SJDPD. If I can get people to share it will cost about €10. Once in SJPDP, I will pick up a set of walking sticks, get some food and a good French coffee and set out in the late afternoon to Orisson (you need to book it in advance). That will take about 3 hours off the alternative of walking to Roncesvalles in one day. I felt if I was in SJDPD for my first night I would essentially be hanging around on my own waiting to start. So BC to all and wish me luck.
You have to arrive at the albergue Orisson not later as I think it was 18,30hr.

And the weather can make it a lot harder to walk up the mountain , watch the time and don’t leave to late .

Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Thanks all for your advises. Booked bus ticket and accommodation for SJPP already!:D I spare one more day there to recover from the jet lag and trying to book the Gite Kayola. If it's too late to book accommodation there then I will try the EB! Finger cross for good weather.:p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I recall you have to walk to Orrison to check in and then back to Kayola. We had one in our walking group the first day who had to do this. You may want to bring some food along to cook as you would need to walk back again to Orrison for the communal dinner and then back to your lodging. I just recall she had a lot of back and forth. It seemed to be more than a km. She was strong and switched reservations with an older woman who was nearly spent by the time she reached Orrison and nearly began to cry when she thought about having to walk back down to Kayola.

One way that this can be done, however, is to walk to Orisson, then take a cab back down to SJPdP, then the next morning, take a cab back to Orisson and carry on to Roncesvalles from there. Sure it's weird and unconventional, but it's win-win!!

This is done very often and they enjoy the lovely village of StJPP for an extra night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lots of people start from Pamplona or Roncesvalles, but I am so glad we started in SJPdP. The views are breathtaking and I would say there are no other views like it on the CF. I would say it was the hardest part for me, due in part that it was day 1 and day 2 of the camino, so very early on and I wasn't in the best of shape at that point and had no experience climbing over a mountain, but I did it. We went from SJPdP all the way to Roncesvalles on the first day, but if you can, and want to go slow, I would recommend booking in at Orisson and then going to Roncesvalles on day 2. Having said that, I think that people feel that they MUST start from SJPdP, but that's not necessary. We won't think any less of you if you don't. Lol.

I've attached a few pics of the views on our first morning, coming out of SJPdP. In the fourth picture, you can clearly see I am sucking wind. Lol!!

Enjoy and Buen Camino!!
Lovely photos

Buen Camino
I enjoyed the challenge if the first day from SJPDP to Roncesvalles. I thought the worst was over but personally I found the stages near O’Cebreiro just as challenging. Maybe I was exhausted by then. A lot of the descents are just as bad as the ascents.

If I recall you have to walk to Orrison to check in and then back to Kayola. We had one in our walking group the first day who had to do this. You may want to bring some food along to cook as you would need to walk back again to Orrison for the communal dinner and then back to your lodging. I just recall she had a lot of back and forth. It seemed to be more than a km. She was strong and switched reservations with an older woman who was nearly spent by the time she reached Orrison and nearly began to cry when she thought about having to walk back down to Kayola.

haha I will bring food with me and make sure I have a nice dinner the next day XD
if the backpack is put down, i guess it's not that bad lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino
Hiking from SJPDP to Roncesvalles is not easy - especially because it's your first day. The steepness of the grade will shift your weight back onto your heel so it's critical that your boots fit properly. I completed the Camino in 2012 with few problems. In 2017, the first day killed my heel and I had to call it quits once I reached Pamplona. If you ego allows you to start at Pamplona, do it.

Definitely a must do. Difficult but doable just take your time. Stop at Orrison. This challenge will fill you with courage and strength. Trust the Camino. The beauty of the Pyrenees are worthwhile. Currently in Sahagun and taking it slow and steady. Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back