• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How's the waymarking?

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi
I apologise if someone has already covered this elsewhere, but there are quite a lot of postings here!

I'm setting off from Sevilla at the start of October. I see that Alison Raju's guide recommends taking a map. I wasn't planning to do this. I was wondering how anyone who had walked this year had found the waymarking. Is it good enough so you just need to take the CSJ booklet? And if there are problems (perhaps with building works?) where were they and how serious are they please?

many thanks, tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked Seville to Santiago through Astorga in 2006
and seville to Santiago through Ourense this spring.

The way marking is very good now. Much improved since 2006.
I used the VdlP guide by Pila Pala Press.
It is getting old now - 2004, but the basics are still Okay.
And with the improved way marking, you should have little trouble.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Hi, Tom,
I walked this past May from Sevilla and had no maps. My only guide was the printed pages of the eroski website, which basically gave good general verbal directions, listed towns, attractions, albergues, etc. You will probably come to a few infuriating detours for the AVE (high speed train) construction, but they, too, will be well marked. I don't remember ever getting lost, and I am prone to get lost, so if I made it without maps, you certainly can. Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
sadly the Pila Pala Press is now out of print and according to my communication with them - not likely to be reprinted. Cheers, Janet

David, Laurie, Janet
thank you for replying. You've reassured me quite a lot.
Sounds as if the friends of the Camino have been doing some good work with the signage.
I'll study the Eroski pages.
cheers, tom

peregrino_tom said:
I'll study the Eroski pages.
cheers, tom

And don't forget tourist information offices. You might be pleasantly surprised by what they have, and it is likely to be more up to date than any guidebook.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
i walked the vdlp from mid sept to end oct, using only the alison raju 2005 csj booklette
it forced me to engage with the route and with other pilgrims who had great German/ Spanish guides
i found the waymarking pretty good
through my own error i missed markings twice and paid dearly with stages of 48 and 50 kays
once i started too early in the morning by torchlight (duh, what was i thinking)
and the other when i relied on information from a single uninformed source
what it did was to add a huge element of excitement and discovery to my journey - i sometimes felt like the first pilgrim to have gone there
i was never envious by the gps / 1:50k map-touting competitors
but like so much in life, the waymarking is terrible if youre not concentrating
jfdi
tamtamplin

We found the waymarking in 2008 excellent and comments from others that have done it recently indicated it is still good, apart from a few bits where the new rail or roads have gone through, stick with the cube waymarkings in this case and DONT follow the Raju guide it is hopelessly out of date.

Pila Pala Press are reprinting their excellent guide book apparently and you can get copies (old or used) on Amazon last time I looked. Or you might find the one we left behind in Funte!

Have a good trip.

When I walked the Camino de Levante last year, and joined up with the VDLP at Zamora I was struck by how brilliant the waymarking on the VDLP was. Other pilgrims did not agree, but if you keep your eyes open you shouldn't get particularly lost,

Andy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I ran from Orense to Santiago last October with no maps or directions. Most of the way there were numerous markers any time you had to turn, but every once in awhile there was nothing -- or, after searching for quite awhile, you'd find a very faded yellow arrow on the pavement, or arrows fashioned by stones or sticks from previous pilgrims. It helps if you know a little Spanish and can ask locals where the path is.

I'm heading over in two weeks to start a mobile app on the VDLP, since there aren't many up-to-date guidebooks out there on this particular trail. I'll put one out on the Sevilla-Merida leg first, hopefully in January, then return every other month until I've got an app on the entire VDLP via Orense done by the end of 2011. If there's any particular type of info you'd like to see in such an app, please let me know!

Melanie

mmm042 said:
I've got an app..

I think I've got a cream for that Melanie, these apple infections are easily treated if you catch them early...

My advice (having just finished the Via de la Plata from Seville) is, if you don't see an arrow for a couple of 100 yards, go back unless you're on a very obvious one way path with no possible deviations. It's quite easy to get into a "walking trance" and just carry on. Usually that's fine, but it can carry you way off the way.

I thought the blocks (with the Caparra indicators) in Extremadura were probably the best markers, but they didn't always agree with the official camino.

http://www.alansviadelaplata.blogspot.com

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back